UNICEF: Juvenile arrests decreased in Azerbaijan in 2007-2014 - PHOTOSESSION
Baku. Farid Mirzayev – APA. Azerbaijan has today hosted the presentation of the project Support for Use of Justice Mechanisms for Children, which was jointly organized by
UNICEF’s Azerbaijani Office, the European Union, the Azerbaijani government and the Commissioner for Human Rights.
Deputy Head of UNICEF’s Azerbaijani Office Nafisa Shafique congratulated the Azerbaijani government for its achievements in the area of juvenile justice.
“There are considerable achievements about the issues such as the decrease in the number of children at penitentiaries and employment of judges specialized in the area of juvenile justice, etc,” she noted.
Head of the Office of the Ombudsman Aydin Safikhanli told the participants that they hold round-table meetings on a regular basis. “This initiative was put forward by Ombudsman Elmira Suleymanova. I believe this project too will be successfully realized,” he added.
Head of the EU Delegation to Azerbaijan Malena Mard expressed satisfaction of their cooperation with the Azerbaijani government: “The involvement of judges, judicial authorities, and prosecutor’s offices is very important. Today’s project is well coordinate with the activities of state and civic societies. To get to the maximum result, we need to unite our efforts. We must provide necessary assistance to children in terms of early intervention”.
Chief of Child Protection of UNICEF Representative in Azerbaijan Ramiz Behbudov said that the cases related to juveniles are considered by three specialized judges in Baku Court on Grave Crimes. “Because 60 percent of the cases related to juveniles are considered in this court. UNICEF plans to hold an extensive training regarding specialization of those three judges”, he said.
Giving detailed information about the project, Behbudov said measures of restraint imposed upon juveniles decreased by 30 percent in 2007-2014.
“The number of children sentenced to pre-trial detention dropped 50 percent in the last 8 years. The number of children directed to the program of distraction from prison increased by 25 percent”, he added.
Behbudov mentioned that the juveniles who violated the law are subjected to long prison sentence. “We think that 10-year imprisonment is a long period for juveniles. On the other hand, the works of coordination should be strengthened among various institutions. Social workers, psychologists should be involved in the law enforcement agencies. Psychologists are less addressed in this field and unfortunately, there is no detailed information on the understanding of social worker”, he said.
Behbudov stressed that the project mainly aims at promoting the solution of these problems: “The goal of the program is to strengthen the rights of children at risk."
It was note that over 3000 children, juveniles and their families will directly benefit from the project, which will cover 10 districts and more than 300 professional staff will be trained.
- 18.10.2017Spectators to be provided with buses following Qarabag-Atletico Madrid football match
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan registers 390 HIV-positive people in 2017
- 18.10.2017Documentary “Objective Baku: How Hitler Lost the Battle for Oil” screened in London
- 18.10.2017Increase in male victims of human trafficking, IOM says
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan considers amendment to Criminal Code regarding postponement of sentence for some prisoners
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan defines upper and lowers limits of new penalty for juvenile delinquency
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan’s trade representatives abroad to be paid in amount of 90 percent of ambassador’s salary
- 16.10.2017Interior Minister: Situation with sexual minorities in Azerbaijan no different from that in most European states
- 16.10.2017ANAS proposes businesses undertake to finance development of science in country
- 13.10.2017"IMAGINE" Euro Tolerance Festival 2017 kicks off in Baku
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijan set to abrogate imprisonment for illegal trafficking of medications
- 13.10.2017ANAS says statement by Institute of History on map crisis does not reflect its position
- 13.10.2017U.S., Azerbaijan improve irrigation in Saatli
- 13.10.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 13.10.20174-year-old Azerbaijani child rescued from ISIL in Iraq brought home
- 12.10.2017ANAS Institute of History issues statement on map crisis
- 12.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards railway workers
- 11.10.2017New generation vaccine developed against malaria: Azerbaijani scientist
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijan develops life expectancy map
- 10.10.2017Premarital examination: 240 diagnosed with thalassemia, 7 with AIDS in Azerbaijan
- 10.10.2017Strong magnetic storm to hit Earth
- 09.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Sometimes there are delays in execution of actions relating to Strategic Road Maps
- 09.10.2017Historian: ‘Greater Armenia’ map in history textbook may have been published for insidious purpose
- 09.10.2017Azerbaijan conducts serious fight against corruption, cybercrime: Deputy Prosecutor General
- 06.10.2017Project ‘Italian language week’ presented in Baku
- 06.10.2017Ambassador: From among EU countries, Italy is where most Azerbaijani students choose to pursue their study
- 06.10.2017Some Ashura blood donators found to be infected with HIV, Hepatitis, Syphilis: Health Ministry
- 06.10.2017Nobel Peace Prize 2017 awarded to International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons
- 06.10.2017Azerbaijani Press Council recommends fines for violation of literary language norms
- 06.10.2017Azerbaijan’s NTRC reveals main problems with using literary language on television and radio
- 06.10.201711th International Education Exhibition opens in Baku
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijani First Vice-President attended ceremony to give out new apartments to IDP families in Masazir
- 05.10.2017First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva visits new building for IDP families
- 05.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for school construction in Lahij
- 04.10.2017Minister Kamaleddin Heydarov meets with CEO of Italian Leonardo company
- 04.10.2017Men also among victims of domestic violence in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 04.10.2017Euronews presents report about Azerbaijan's Lahij city - VIDEO
- 03.10.2017Int’l experience shows risk of sexually transmitted diseases is higher, sociologist says
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijan’s ex-health minister appeals to Supreme Court chairman
- 03.10.2017Kamal Abdullayev granted Azerbaijani president’s personal stipend
- 21.01.2015Azerbaijani Health Ministry reveals a large amount of useless and expired medicines
- 23.01.2015Azerbaijan announces dates of entrance exams on master, residency, mock exams on bachelor for 2015
- 23.01.2015Azerbaijani MES sends 5 fire vehicles to Kyrgyzstan
- 21.01.2015Number of Azerbaijani population exceeds 9.5 mln
- 20.01.2015Azerbaijan commemorates 20 January martyrs with minute of silence
- 20.01.2015Azerbaijan to determine national content and assessment standards for 12-year general education next year