UNICEF: Juvenile arrests decreased in Azerbaijan in 2007-2014 - PHOTOSESSION
Baku. Farid Mirzayev – APA. Azerbaijan has today hosted the presentation of the project Support for Use of Justice Mechanisms for Children, which was jointly organized by
UNICEF’s Azerbaijani Office, the European Union, the Azerbaijani government and the Commissioner for Human Rights.
Deputy Head of UNICEF’s Azerbaijani Office Nafisa Shafique congratulated the Azerbaijani government for its achievements in the area of juvenile justice.
“There are considerable achievements about the issues such as the decrease in the number of children at penitentiaries and employment of judges specialized in the area of juvenile justice, etc,” she noted.
Head of the Office of the Ombudsman Aydin Safikhanli told the participants that they hold round-table meetings on a regular basis. “This initiative was put forward by Ombudsman Elmira Suleymanova. I believe this project too will be successfully realized,” he added.
Head of the EU Delegation to Azerbaijan Malena Mard expressed satisfaction of their cooperation with the Azerbaijani government: “The involvement of judges, judicial authorities, and prosecutor’s offices is very important. Today’s project is well coordinate with the activities of state and civic societies. To get to the maximum result, we need to unite our efforts. We must provide necessary assistance to children in terms of early intervention”.
Chief of Child Protection of UNICEF Representative in Azerbaijan Ramiz Behbudov said that the cases related to juveniles are considered by three specialized judges in Baku Court on Grave Crimes. “Because 60 percent of the cases related to juveniles are considered in this court. UNICEF plans to hold an extensive training regarding specialization of those three judges”, he said.
Giving detailed information about the project, Behbudov said measures of restraint imposed upon juveniles decreased by 30 percent in 2007-2014.
“The number of children sentenced to pre-trial detention dropped 50 percent in the last 8 years. The number of children directed to the program of distraction from prison increased by 25 percent”, he added.
Behbudov mentioned that the juveniles who violated the law are subjected to long prison sentence. “We think that 10-year imprisonment is a long period for juveniles. On the other hand, the works of coordination should be strengthened among various institutions. Social workers, psychologists should be involved in the law enforcement agencies. Psychologists are less addressed in this field and unfortunately, there is no detailed information on the understanding of social worker”, he said.
Behbudov stressed that the project mainly aims at promoting the solution of these problems: “The goal of the program is to strengthen the rights of children at risk."
It was note that over 3000 children, juveniles and their families will directly benefit from the project, which will cover 10 districts and more than 300 professional staff will be trained.
- 17.02.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Sunday
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan detains 26 foreigners in anti-migration op
- 16.02.2018Italian architects prepared project for Yanardagh complex construction – envoy
- 16.02.2018Baku to host Italian Design Day
- 16.02.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Saturday
- 16.02.2018Georgian education minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2018ASAN and ABAD very good Azerbaijani brands: EU envoy
- 16.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers: Families relocated from Bayil landslide area to be given rental money
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan discloses non-working days in March 2018
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani State Commission: 3,875 persons listed as missing
- 15.02.2018State Border Service detains 45 trespassers in January
- 15.02.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan prohibits holding positions of department head and dean at the same time at university
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani SEC announces interview for 165 vacant positions in 6 state bodies
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijani president signs order on additional measures for improvement of social protection of population
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijani teachers issue statement on upcoming presidential election
- 13.02.2018Number of people with disabilities in Azerbaijan announced
- 13.02.2018U.S. helps young IDPs build career skills
- 13.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers specifies date of final decision with regard to landslide area in Bayil
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani State Migration Service detains 11 foreigners
- 12.02.2018Guba Genocide Memorial Complex under reconstruction
- 12.02.2018Plan of events on 26th anniversary of Khojaly genocide approved
- 10.02.2018Four houses destoryed after landslide hits Bayil, no casualities reported
- 10.02.2018190 years pass since signing of Turkmenchay treaty
- 09.02.2018Health Ministry official proposes to allow organ trade in Azerbaijan
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijani SEC reveals results of admission examination to Collegium of Advocates
- 08.02.2018Tbilisi court sentences Azerbaijani doctor to 6 years in prison
- 08.02.2018Presentation of Expo 2025 Baku held at UN Headquarters
- 07.02.2018Azerbaijan sees increase in number of donors, amounts of donated blood
- 07.02.2018Armenians continue to destroy flora and fauna in occupied Azerbaijani lands – deputy minister
- 06.02.2018Quotas to be allocated for Azerbaijani students to study at Tajik universities
- 06.02.2018‘Arenda’ and ‘Toybəy’ among the most bizarre names chosen by parents for children
- 06.02.2018Baku awaits foggy weather
- 05.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of international and foreign trade unions - UPDATED
- 05.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: 265,000 people provided with apartments at state expense in Azerbaijan
- 05.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Trade unions should focus on protecting workers' rights
- 03.02.2018Nakhchivan declared Youth Capital of 2018
- 02.02.2018Event dedicated to Youth Day held in Buta Palace
- 02.02.2018Azerbaijani president issues order on conferring President’s Award for Youth in 2018
- 02.02.2018Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 6.87M for construction of modular-type schools in northern region
- 21.01.2015Azerbaijani Health Ministry reveals a large amount of useless and expired medicines
- 23.01.2015Azerbaijan announces dates of entrance exams on master, residency, mock exams on bachelor for 2015
- 23.01.2015Azerbaijani MES sends 5 fire vehicles to Kyrgyzstan
- 21.01.2015Number of Azerbaijani population exceeds 9.5 mln
- 20.01.2015Azerbaijan commemorates 20 January martyrs with minute of silence
- 20.01.2015Azerbaijan to determine national content and assessment standards for 12-year general education next year