UNICEF: 4-month paid maternity leave in Azerbaijan 'insufficient'
Considering babies are breastfed in the first six months, 4-month paid maternity leave in Azerbaijan is insufficient for mothers, UNICEF Deputy Representative in Azerbaijan Min Yuan told reporters on Monday, APA reported.
“Breastfeeding the child is not an easy process because the mother is also supposed to deal with work, education, and household. Therefore, the whole community should be of support to the mother who breastfeeds her baby,” she said noting that UNICEF is constantly working for breastfeeding to be encouraged in Azerbaijan.
The UNICEF representative said that currently mothers in Azerbaijan are given two months’ leave before and after birth-giving, which said is not enough for the babe to be breastfed in the first six months.
“Moreover, a number of companies selling artificial baby food promote their products, which reduces the number of babies being breastfed. On the other hand, private companies do operate within the law,” Min Yuan added.
She emphasized that UNICEF jointly with Azerbaijan’s Health Ministry conducted an assessment of low rates of breastfeeding.
According to her, the assessment revealed that some people are not aware of the benefits of breastfeeding for both mothers and babies.
“In addition, sometimes there is a contradiction between the information provided to mothers in medical institutions, doctors and the information in advertising of artificial foods and it confuses mothers. Breastfeeding is considered the first vaccine of babies and protects them from a number of serious illnesses, and mothers from breast and ovarian cancer,” the UNICEF representative added.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2018Term for registration of foreigners visiting Azerbaijan to be extended
- 22.06.2018Presidential Administration: 29.3 thousand civil servants make up 0.6% of Azerbaijan’s working population
- 22.06.2018Cabinet of Ministers eliminates dispute over vertical position of the state flag of Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijan Teacher Development Centre authorized as CELTA Training Centre
- 21.06.2018Date of Kamaladdin Heydarov’s reception of citizens in Siyazan rescheduled
- 21.06.2018New youth peace platform presented in Tbilisi
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan well understands what pains of conflicts feel like, UN rep says
- 20.06.2018Housing conditions of 265,000 refugees, IDPs improved in Azerbaijan so far: State Committee
- 20.06.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Siyazan
- 20.06.2018About 65,000 students to take part in final exams in Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018Temperature to be 31C in Baku, 36C in regions tomorrow
- 18.06.2018Weather forecast for June 19
- 16.06.2018“Mübarizlər” contest kicks off in Baku
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani MES hosts meeting with U.S. Oklahoma National Guard delegation
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan calculating compulsory health insurance fees
- 14.06.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani citizens to have 5 consecutive non-working days to mark Eid al-Fitr and National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani schools celebrate Day of Farewell Bell
- 13.06.2018Baku's bid to host World Expo 2025 presented at BIE
- 13.06.2018Human rights activist meets daycare worker detained for child maltreatment
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament passes bill on protecting children from harmful information
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan Education Ministry reveals number of transfers students in 2018
- 12.06.2018Over 140,000 educators undergo diagnostic assessment in Azerbaijan over past four years
- 12.06.2018225 Azerbaijani citizens qualified for study abroad in academic year 2017-18 academic year
- 12.06.2018ATDC accredited as Cambridge Professional Development Centre
- 11.06.2018Leyla Novruzova, who was promoted to BP's London office: I’m not very good in planning my career - INTERVIEW
- 08.06.2018Libraff bookstore opens in Baku
- 08.06.2018Weekend weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani representative elected member of UN Committee on Elimination of Discrimination against Women
- 08.06.2018Akif Alizadeh re-elected president of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences - UPDATED
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan has region’s most secure data center, minister says
- 08.06.2018Many products brought to Azerbaijan in plastic containers – ministry
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Migration Service launches new e-service for foreigners, stateless persons
- 08.06.2018Specialty selection for master's degree starts in Azerbaijan
- 08.06.2018New president of ANAS to be elected today
- 06.06.2018Strong, destructive earthquake not expected in Azerbaijan – top seismologist
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Bar Association rejects rumors on alleged bias towards lawyers with opposition views
- 06.06.2018Inauguration of new lawyers held in Azerbaijan
- 06.06.2018No causalities reported after quake in Azerbaijan’s Zagatala: Health Ministry
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani setting up electronic system for assessment of judicial activity
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijan presents report at Asian Conference on Disaster Reduction
- 02.10.2017AIDS, HIV and other diseases detected in 32 people detained in Baku
- 02.10.201728% of Azerbaijani women believe men have the right to beat their wives
- 02.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Shamakhi district for visit
- 02.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates newly built kindergarten in Gobustan district
- 02.10.2017Baku hosts meeting of CIS Interstate Council for natural and man-made emergencies