UNICEF: 4-month paid maternity leave in Azerbaijan 'insufficient'
Considering babies are breastfed in the first six months, 4-month paid maternity leave in Azerbaijan is insufficient for mothers, UNICEF Deputy Representative in Azerbaijan Min Yuan told reporters on Monday, APA reported.
“Breastfeeding the child is not an easy process because the mother is also supposed to deal with work, education, and household. Therefore, the whole community should be of support to the mother who breastfeeds her baby,” she said noting that UNICEF is constantly working for breastfeeding to be encouraged in Azerbaijan.
The UNICEF representative said that currently mothers in Azerbaijan are given two months’ leave before and after birth-giving, which said is not enough for the babe to be breastfed in the first six months.
“Moreover, a number of companies selling artificial baby food promote their products, which reduces the number of babies being breastfed. On the other hand, private companies do operate within the law,” Min Yuan added.
She emphasized that UNICEF jointly with Azerbaijan’s Health Ministry conducted an assessment of low rates of breastfeeding.
According to her, the assessment revealed that some people are not aware of the benefits of breastfeeding for both mothers and babies.
“In addition, sometimes there is a contradiction between the information provided to mothers in medical institutions, doctors and the information in advertising of artificial foods and it confuses mothers. Breastfeeding is considered the first vaccine of babies and protects them from a number of serious illnesses, and mothers from breast and ovarian cancer,” the UNICEF representative added.
Related news releases
- 24.02.2018Presidential scholarship for students increased
- 24.02.2018Azerbaijani president signs order on development of education infrastructure
- 24.02.2018Baku awaits cloudy weather on Sunday
- 24.02.2018Model United States Senate organized in Baku
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijani president orders increasing social allowances
- 23.02.2018Allowance for women with more than 5 children increased in Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018Committee chairman: Nationalization of surnames hotly debated issue in Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018Deputy PM: 97 families evacuated from landslide zone on Bayil slope
- 23.02.2018U.S. helps people with disabilities receive free legal aid
- 23.02.2018Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Lankaran
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani president's personal pension increased by AZN150
- 22.02.2018Monthly stipend for young talents increased by 100 manats
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani president increases monthly scholarship for honorary titles
- 22.02.2018Collegium of Advocates to be provided with new building
- 22.02.2018Prosecutor asks court to strip MNS generals of their ranks
- 22.02.2018Prosecutor seeks 16 years for Subahir Gurbanov and Teymur Guliyev - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018International organizations praise anti-corruption measures in Azerbaijan
- 22.02.2018Ministry of Education announces results of student transfer
- 22.02.2018First-grade admission gets started in Baku
- 22.02.2018Requirements for construction of buildings erected in place of emergency structures in nine districts of Baku changed
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan to mark 110th anniversary of academician Musa Aliyev
- 21.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev orders increasing unified monthly allowance for IDPs
- 21.02.2018U.S. ambassador visits school built for IDPs in Baku
- 21.02.2018New specialties created in the master's degree in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2018Presidential pension for Azerbaijan’s national heroes increases
- 20.02.2018Ilham Aliyev orders increasing presidential pension for Great Patriotic War veterans
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani president appoints members of Civil Service Management Board
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani court commences hearing on Afgan Mukhtarli’s appeal
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan starts relocating IDP families to new settlement in Tartar
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan specifies what medications caused severe poisoning
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan imports most medicines from Europe – Health Ministry
- 20.02.2018Guba-Khinalig road reopened after avalanche
- 19.02.2018Pension for 20 January disabled increased by 10%
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani president increases monthly pension for citizens disabled in war
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss bill on state fingerprinting and genome registration
- 17.02.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Sunday
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan detains 26 foreigners in anti-migration op
- 16.02.2018Italian architects prepared project for Yanardagh complex construction – envoy
- 16.02.2018Baku to host Italian Design Day
- 16.02.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Saturday
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijan presents report at Asian Conference on Disaster Reduction
- 02.10.2017AIDS, HIV and other diseases detected in 32 people detained in Baku
- 02.10.201728% of Azerbaijani women believe men have the right to beat their wives
- 02.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Shamakhi district for visit
- 02.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates newly built kindergarten in Gobustan district
- 02.10.2017Baku hosts meeting of CIS Interstate Council for natural and man-made emergencies