UN: The number of refugees and internally displaced persons exceeded 45 mln
Baku – APA. More people are refugees or internally displaced than at any time since 1994, with the crisis in Syria having emerged as a major new factor in global displacement.
War remains the dominant cause. A full 55 percent of all refugees listed in UNHCR's report come from just five war-affected countries: Afghanistan, Somalia, Iraq, Syria and Sudan. The report also charts major new displacement from Mali, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and from Sudan into South Sudan and Ethiopia.
"These truly are alarming numbers. They reflect individual suffering on a huge scale and they reflect the difficulties of the international community in preventing conflicts and promoting timely solutions for them," said António Guterres, UN High Commissioner for Refugees and head of UNHCR.
The report highlights worrisome trends, including the rate at which people are being forced into situations of displacement. During 2012 some 7.6 million people became newly displaced, 1.1 million as refugees and 6.5 million as internally displaced people. This translates to a new refugee or internally displaced person every 4.1 seconds.
Also evident is a continuing gap between richer and poorer countries in hosting refugees. Of 10.5 million refugees under UNHCR's mandate -- a further 4.9 million Palestinian refugees fall under the mandate of its sister-agency, the UN Relief and Works Agency), half are hosted by countries that have a per capita GDP of less than US$5,000. In all, developing countries host 81 percent of the world's refugees compared to 70 percent a decade ago.
Children below age 18 make up 46 percent of all refugees. In addition, a record 21,300 asylum applications submitted during 2012 were from children who were unaccompanied or separated from their parents. This is the highest number of unaccompanied or separated children that UNHCR has recorded.
Global displacement for any year is the sum of new displacement, existing unresolved displacement, and subtracting resolved displacement such as people returning home or being allowed to settle permanently outside their home country through citizenship or some other solution.
UNHCR works to help people who are forcibly displaced, including through aid and immediate practical help, and by finding solutions to their plight. The year 2012 saw an end to displacement for 2.7 million people, including 526,000 refugees and 2.1 million internally displaced people. Among those for whom solutions were found are 74,800 people submitted by UNHCR for resettlement in third countries.
Last year saw little change from 2011 in the rankings of the world's major refugee hosting countries. Pakistan continued to host more refugees than any other nation (1.6 million), followed by Iran (868,200) and Germany (589,700).
Afghanistan remained the world's top producer of refugees, a position it has held for 32 years. On average, one out of every four refugees worldwide is Afghan, with 95 percent located in Pakistan or Iran. Somalia, another protracted conflict, was the world's second largest refugee-producing nation during 2012, however there the rate of refugee outflow slowed. Iraqis were the third largest refugee group (746,700 persons), followed by Syrians (471,400).
With people displaced inside their own countries, the figure of 28.8 million for 2012 is the highest level in more than two decades. This includes 17.7 million who are being helped by the UN refugee agency. UNHCR assistance to IDPs is not automatic but occurs at the request of governments. Significant new internal displacement was seen in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Syria.
The Global Trends report is UNHCR's leading annual report on the state of forced displacement. Additional data is published annually in the UN refugee agency's Statistical Yearbooks, and its reports on asylum applications in industrialized nations.
Related news releases
- 26.10.2016Azerbaijan to conduct first heart transplant soon
- 26.10.2016Public hospitals in Azerbaijan will not be paid – Health Ministry
- 26.10.2016Azerbaijan detains 16 foreigners for illegal hunting since early 2016
- 25.10.2016Azerbaijani police get new power against illegal sports betting
- 19.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev awards power engineering specialists
- 19.10.2016Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov meets with governor of Iran’s Ardabil
- 19.10.2016Unsteady weather to continue in Azerbaijan
- 18.10.2016ANAS: Azerbaijan’s administrative-territorial division should be changed
- 17.10.2016Number of Azerbaijani population announced
- 17.10.2016Azerbaijani population reaches 9.77 million
- 17.10.2016One of largest avenues in Baku closed to traffic due to heavy rains
- 17.10.20167 substances proposed to be banned in Azerbaijan as illegal drugs
- 17.10.2016Ashura blood donor found infected with HIV: Azerbaijani Health Ministry
- 17.10.2016Azerbaijani Education Ministry: diagnostic assessment of teachers to be held in 26 districts
- 15.10.2016138 people killed in traffic accidents in Baku this year
- 15.10.2016Deputy PM: Even in case of significant change in manat rate, drug importers not to face serious problems
- 15.10.2016200 employees of Azerbaijan Teachers’ Institute employed at Pedagogical University
- 14.10.2016President: Azerbaijan intends to develop pharmaceutical industry
- 14.10.2016Two tons of illegal drugs seized in Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2016Unsteady weather forecasted in Azerbaijan in coming days
- 14.10.2016Azerbaijan defines educational benefits for children deprived of parental care
- 14.10.2016More school leavers begin to score high in Azerbaijani entrance exams - minister
- 13.10.2016Azerbaijan’s Emergencies Ministry holds command and staff exercise
- 13.10.2016EU, CoE to carry projects for journalists, court staff, employees of administrative authorities in Azerbaijan
- 13.10.2016Book dedicated to 25th anniversary of Azerbaijan’s independence presented in Baku
- 12.10.2016US, Azerbaijan improve water supply in Guba
- 12.10.2016CMO chairman donates blood on Ashura Day
- 12.10.2016Azerbaijan to ban import of medicines with instructions in foreign language
- 12.10.2016Presidential Administration: Migrants attempting to illegally enter Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2016Azerbaijan launches blood donation campaign over Ashura Day
- 11.10.2016Azerbaijan’s Penitentiary Service announces staff change
- 11.10.2016Azerbaijan increases monthly allowance for national heroes
- 11.10.2016Azerbaijan’s Tariff Council to specify amount of fee for participation in civil service exams
- 10.10.2016More people in Azerbaijan seek psychological assistance after manat devaluation
- 07.10.201610th Int’l Education Exhibition kicks off in Baku
- 06.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev grants young talents special stipend
- 06.10.2016Azerbaijani Justice Ministry, ICRC expand collaboration
- 06.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new park complex in Baku
- 06.10.2016Azerbaijan to purchase new decoders in connection with transition to digital broadcasting
- 06.10.2016US-Azerbaijan celebrate new medical facility in Beylagan
- 19.06.2013Windy weather to continue in Azerbaijan’s capital for two days
- 19.06.2013Number of women working in various spheres in Azerbaijan made public
- 19.06.2013Azerbaijan publicizes results of last final exams
- 18.06.2013Ministry of Emergency Situations: “Azerbaijan attaches great importance to the cooperation with the IAEA in fighting against large-scale nuclear and radiological accidents”
- 18.06.2013Azerbaijan to focus on pupils’ attendance from new academic year
- 17.06.2013Place of Togrul Narimanbekov’s burial to be publicized tomorrow