UN: Azerbaijan pays special attention to gender equality
The United Nations Office in Azerbaijan and the National Coordination Council on Sustainable Development co-organized a panel discussion on the theme "Sustainable Development Goals: Women and Development” on Friday, APA reported.
Azerbaijan’s Deputy Prime Minister Ali Ahmadov spoke about the work done in the area of gender equality.
Ghulam Isaczai, UN Resident Coordinator in Azerbaijan, said Azerbaijan pays special attention to gender equality.
He noted that Azerbaijani women are more active in social areas.
“In many countries, women are represented in parliament and other state bodies. Unfortunately, there are still some countries where women face discrimination. In Azerbaijan, however, gender equality is developing and women are becoming more actively involved in social life. In 1918, Azerbaijan became the first country in the east to grant women suffrage,” the resident coordinator added.
Isaczai mentioned that Khadija, the first wife of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), was a successful businesswoman. “In this respect, there are many examples of Muslim women’s activity in public life,” he said.
He stressed that Azerbaijan has joined a number of conventions on gender equality.
“We see women are well represented in the country’s leadership. We must continue to work with Azerbaijan in this field. Sustainable Development Goals attaches special importance to gender equality. We need to make sure that the components of Sustainable Development Goals relating to gender equality are successfully implemented. If had disregarded women’s role in economic life, we would have stopped the country from developing,” Isaczai added.
Chairperson of the State Committee of Azerbaijan for Family, Women and Children Affairs Hijran Huseynova said that if the proportion of women among entrepreneurs was 17% in Azerbaijan in 2012, this figure reached 21% in early 2017.
“The proportion of women in the Azerbaijani parliament is 188%. Deputy heads in 71 executive powers out of the 78 are female. Azerbaijan is consistently working to prevent trafficking of women and violence against children,” she said.
Huseynova stressed that the Azerbaijani government pays special attention to education of children and women.
“The main task is to increase activity in this regard. There are some shortcomings in women’s access to economic resources and information and we need to improve awareness in this field. A subject of gender equality is being taught at Baku State University and Khazar University. It would be appropriate to include the Sustainable Development Goals into the educational programs”, she added.
She said that in Azerbaijani there are no problems with gender equality from the point of view of the legislative base and traditions.
Deputy Minister of Economy Sevinj Hasanova and Director of the Center for Strategic Studies Gulshan Pashayeva spoke about the work done in Azerbaijan in the field of gender equality.
- 14.12.2017State Program on Development of Inclusive Education for People with Disabilities approved
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry holds board meeting on its 12th anniversary
- 14.12.2017Winners of “Emergency Situations Through The Eyes of Children” competition awarded
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijan prohibits changing of specialty in master’s degree
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijan developing concept of cadaveric organ transplantation
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijan specifies conditions in which students will get academic vacation
- 12.12.2017Abbas Alasgarov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 11.12.2017Traffic to be restricted in some streets and avenues of Baku on Dec. 12
- 08.12.2017Tariff Council approves prices of more than 300 registered medicines
- 08.12.2017Book titled “Splendor and Misery of Leyla Yunus” presented
- 08.12.2017Anar Baghirov: Bar Association was partly responsible for delay in lawyer admissions
- 07.12.2017Criminal elements detected in activities of 23 municipalities
- 07.12.2017Several human rights defenders appeal to President Ilham Aliyev
- 07.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Another 10 carpet weaving factories to open in Azerbaijan next year
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan specifies non-working days for next year's holidays
- 07.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: "ASAN Service" is most effective tool against corruption, bribery
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Flag Museum in Guba
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates ‘ASAN heyat’ complex in Guba
- 07.12.2017New chairman of Azerbaijan’s Bar Association elected
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends ground breaking ceremony of highway to be built on Azerbaijan-Russia state border
- 06.12.2017Citizens of OIC countries to get grants for education in Azerbaijan
- 06.12.2017Javanshir Gurbanov awarded Order ‘For Service to the Motherland’
- 06.12.2017About 80 percent of Azerbaijani citizens optimistic about the country's future
- 05.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards workers of communication and high-tech sector
- 05.12.2017Number of Nakhchivan’s population publicized
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan postpones election of new ombudsperson
- 04.12.2017Baku’s population nears 2.6 million
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan Business Case Competition 2017 wraps up
- 02.12.2017Weather forecast for tomorrow
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan increases duties on reissue of lost and deteriorated international passports and ID cards
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan modifying conditions for selection of pretrial detention type
- 01.12.2017MP Hasanguliyev: English-language TV channel should be created in Azerbaijan
- 01.12.2017Half of HIV-infected people in Europe is diagnosed late – WHO
- 01.12.2017Preliminary hearing held for APFP deputy chairperson accused of smuggling
- 01.12.2017MP: Half of men in Azerbaijan smoke
- 30.11.2017Deputy PM: Azerbaijan unlikely to adopt mandatory medical insurance in 1-2 years
- 30.11.2017Deputy PM: Unemployment rate high in trade and service areas
- 30.11.2017State Committee: Work underway to get Azerbaijani citizens back from Iraq
- 30.11.2017December weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 29.11.2017AZN 3M allocated for renovation works and capital repair of multi-apartment building in Tartar
- 09.06.2017Accreditation of four universities approved in Azerbaijan
- 09.06.2017Ali Hasanov: Proposals on problem with Guba Genocide Memorial Complex to be presented to Azerbaijani president
- 09.06.2017Florence Nightingale Hospital: Natig Aliyev died on June 8
- 08.06.2017Ministry: Burial site of Guba Genocide Memorial Complex undergoing erosion
- 08.06.2017Nobel laureate Aziz Sancar to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.06.2017Project “EU Support to Vocational Education and Training in Azerbaijan” presented in Baku