UN: Azerbaijan pays special attention to gender equality
The United Nations Office in Azerbaijan and the National Coordination Council on Sustainable Development co-organized a panel discussion on the theme "Sustainable Development Goals: Women and Development” on Friday, APA reported.
Azerbaijan’s Deputy Prime Minister Ali Ahmadov spoke about the work done in the area of gender equality.
Ghulam Isaczai, UN Resident Coordinator in Azerbaijan, said Azerbaijan pays special attention to gender equality.
He noted that Azerbaijani women are more active in social areas.
“In many countries, women are represented in parliament and other state bodies. Unfortunately, there are still some countries where women face discrimination. In Azerbaijan, however, gender equality is developing and women are becoming more actively involved in social life. In 1918, Azerbaijan became the first country in the east to grant women suffrage,” the resident coordinator added.
Isaczai mentioned that Khadija, the first wife of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), was a successful businesswoman. “In this respect, there are many examples of Muslim women’s activity in public life,” he said.
He stressed that Azerbaijan has joined a number of conventions on gender equality.
“We see women are well represented in the country’s leadership. We must continue to work with Azerbaijan in this field. Sustainable Development Goals attaches special importance to gender equality. We need to make sure that the components of Sustainable Development Goals relating to gender equality are successfully implemented. If had disregarded women’s role in economic life, we would have stopped the country from developing,” Isaczai added.
Chairperson of the State Committee of Azerbaijan for Family, Women and Children Affairs Hijran Huseynova said that if the proportion of women among entrepreneurs was 17% in Azerbaijan in 2012, this figure reached 21% in early 2017.
“The proportion of women in the Azerbaijani parliament is 188%. Deputy heads in 71 executive powers out of the 78 are female. Azerbaijan is consistently working to prevent trafficking of women and violence against children,” she said.
Huseynova stressed that the Azerbaijani government pays special attention to education of children and women.
“The main task is to increase activity in this regard. There are some shortcomings in women’s access to economic resources and information and we need to improve awareness in this field. A subject of gender equality is being taught at Baku State University and Khazar University. It would be appropriate to include the Sustainable Development Goals into the educational programs”, she added.
She said that in Azerbaijani there are no problems with gender equality from the point of view of the legislative base and traditions.
Deputy Minister of Economy Sevinj Hasanova and Director of the Center for Strategic Studies Gulshan Pashayeva spoke about the work done in Azerbaijan in the field of gender equality.
- 16.08.2017Prosecutor seeks 15 years for Akif Chovdarov - UPDATED
- 14.08.2017Baku to host Global Young Leaders Forum
- 14.08.20172,650 Azerbaijani citizens study in Georgia
- 14.08.2017Ghulam Isaczai: Azerbaijani young people are energetic, innovative and inspirational
- 12.08.2017Azerbaijan announces university placement results
- 09.08.2017Iran building hospitals near border with Azerbaijan
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijan declares 4 days off for Eid al-Adha
- 07.08.2017Interior Ministry and Prosecutor’s Office issue joint statement on traffic accident caused by ‘Gelandewagen’
- 07.08.2017Prosecutor seeks penalty for woman for falsely presenting herself as MNS officials
- 05.08.2017Temperature to be 38C in Baku, 40C in regions tomorrow
- 04.08.2017President: Level of unemployment and poverty to reduce more
- 04.08.2017Argument erupts during trial of former MNS general
- 03.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev launches new electrical substation in Gakh
- 03.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of 180-seat orphanage-kindergarten in Gakh
- 03.08.2017Flag Museum opened in Gakh
- 03.08.2017Azerbaijani President arrives in Zagatala
- 03.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of ABAD Center in Balakan
- 03.08.2017Flag Museum opens in Balakan
- 02.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary title on 20 January martyr
- 02.08.2017Ministry of Emergency Situations call on the public to abide by safety regulations on beaches
- 02.08.2017Azerbaijani President attends opening of Pirshagi-Novkhani and Binagadi-Novkhani-Corat highways
- 01.08.2017Baku Higher Oil School students undertake internship at BP
- 31.07.2017Zakir Garalov: Imprisoned MNS officials’ properties worth AZN 56mln under arrest
- 31.07.2017UNEC Business School graduates get global job opportunities
- 31.07.2017Solar eclipse to occur next month
- 29.07.2017Applicants for journalism specialty takes aptitude test
- 28.07.2017Interior Minister of Nakhchivan AR dismissed
- 28.07.2017Program Manager from Massachusetts Institute of Technology visits Baku Higher Oil School
- 28.07.2017Azerbaijan publicizes number of people bitten by snakes in July
- 28.07.2017Prosecutor seeks 5-year sentence for ex-official of liquidated ministry
- 28.07.2017State Examination Center addresses applicants who took entrance exam on July 27
- 28.07.2017The number of people released from arrest has increased by 28% over the past year in Azerbaijan
- 27.07.201783 people killed, 159 injured in emergency situations in Azerbaijan this year
- 27.07.2017Lapshin appeals to Azerbaijani Justice Ministry for his extradition to Israel
- 27.07.2017Temperature in Baku to reach 34-39C in late July
- 27.07.2017Vidadi Zeynalov, Beytulla Huseynov each get 13 years in prison - UPDATED
- 27.07.2017Applicants evacuated due to fire retake entrance exams
- 26.07.2017Justice Ministry: Lapshin’s request for his extradition to Israel may be considered
- 26.07.2017Alexander Lapshin refuses to file appeal, asks to be extradited to Israel
- 26.07.2017Prosecutor General’s Office: Former head of Bank Standard declared internationally wanted for evading investigation - UPDATED
- 09.06.2017Accreditation of four universities approved in Azerbaijan
- 09.06.2017Ali Hasanov: Proposals on problem with Guba Genocide Memorial Complex to be presented to Azerbaijani president
- 09.06.2017Florence Nightingale Hospital: Natig Aliyev died on June 8
- 08.06.2017Ministry: Burial site of Guba Genocide Memorial Complex undergoing erosion
- 08.06.2017Nobel laureate Aziz Sancar to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.06.2017Project “EU Support to Vocational Education and Training in Azerbaijan” presented in Baku