UN: Azerbaijan pays special attention to gender equality
The United Nations Office in Azerbaijan and the National Coordination Council on Sustainable Development co-organized a panel discussion on the theme "Sustainable Development Goals: Women and Development” on Friday, APA reported.
Azerbaijan’s Deputy Prime Minister Ali Ahmadov spoke about the work done in the area of gender equality.
Ghulam Isaczai, UN Resident Coordinator in Azerbaijan, said Azerbaijan pays special attention to gender equality.
He noted that Azerbaijani women are more active in social areas.
“In many countries, women are represented in parliament and other state bodies. Unfortunately, there are still some countries where women face discrimination. In Azerbaijan, however, gender equality is developing and women are becoming more actively involved in social life. In 1918, Azerbaijan became the first country in the east to grant women suffrage,” the resident coordinator added.
Isaczai mentioned that Khadija, the first wife of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), was a successful businesswoman. “In this respect, there are many examples of Muslim women’s activity in public life,” he said.
He stressed that Azerbaijan has joined a number of conventions on gender equality.
“We see women are well represented in the country’s leadership. We must continue to work with Azerbaijan in this field. Sustainable Development Goals attaches special importance to gender equality. We need to make sure that the components of Sustainable Development Goals relating to gender equality are successfully implemented. If had disregarded women’s role in economic life, we would have stopped the country from developing,” Isaczai added.
Chairperson of the State Committee of Azerbaijan for Family, Women and Children Affairs Hijran Huseynova said that if the proportion of women among entrepreneurs was 17% in Azerbaijan in 2012, this figure reached 21% in early 2017.
“The proportion of women in the Azerbaijani parliament is 188%. Deputy heads in 71 executive powers out of the 78 are female. Azerbaijan is consistently working to prevent trafficking of women and violence against children,” she said.
Huseynova stressed that the Azerbaijani government pays special attention to education of children and women.
“The main task is to increase activity in this regard. There are some shortcomings in women’s access to economic resources and information and we need to improve awareness in this field. A subject of gender equality is being taught at Baku State University and Khazar University. It would be appropriate to include the Sustainable Development Goals into the educational programs”, she added.
She said that in Azerbaijani there are no problems with gender equality from the point of view of the legislative base and traditions.
Deputy Minister of Economy Sevinj Hasanova and Director of the Center for Strategic Studies Gulshan Pashayeva spoke about the work done in Azerbaijan in the field of gender equality.
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan considers amendment to Criminal Code regarding postponement of sentence for some prisoners
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan defines upper and lowers limits of new penalty for juvenile delinquency
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan’s trade representatives abroad to be paid in amount of 90 percent of ambassador’s salary
- 16.10.2017Interior Minister: Situation with sexual minorities in Azerbaijan no different from that in most European states
- 16.10.2017ANAS proposes businesses undertake to finance development of science in country
- 13.10.2017"IMAGINE" Euro Tolerance Festival 2017 kicks off in Baku
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijan set to abrogate imprisonment for illegal trafficking of medications
- 13.10.2017ANAS says statement by Institute of History on map crisis does not reflect its position
- 13.10.2017U.S., Azerbaijan improve irrigation in Saatli
- 13.10.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 13.10.20174-year-old Azerbaijani child rescued from ISIL in Iraq brought home
- 12.10.2017ANAS Institute of History issues statement on map crisis
- 12.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards railway workers
- 11.10.2017New generation vaccine developed against malaria: Azerbaijani scientist
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijan develops life expectancy map
- 10.10.2017Premarital examination: 240 diagnosed with thalassemia, 7 with AIDS in Azerbaijan
- 10.10.2017Strong magnetic storm to hit Earth
- 09.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Sometimes there are delays in execution of actions relating to Strategic Road Maps
- 09.10.2017Historian: ‘Greater Armenia’ map in history textbook may have been published for insidious purpose
- 09.10.2017Azerbaijan conducts serious fight against corruption, cybercrime: Deputy Prosecutor General
- 06.10.2017Project ‘Italian language week’ presented in Baku
- 06.10.2017Ambassador: From among EU countries, Italy is where most Azerbaijani students choose to pursue their study
- 06.10.2017Some Ashura blood donators found to be infected with HIV, Hepatitis, Syphilis: Health Ministry
- 06.10.2017Nobel Peace Prize 2017 awarded to International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons
- 06.10.2017Azerbaijani Press Council recommends fines for violation of literary language norms
- 06.10.2017Azerbaijan’s NTRC reveals main problems with using literary language on television and radio
- 06.10.201711th International Education Exhibition opens in Baku
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijani First Vice-President attended ceremony to give out new apartments to IDP families in Masazir
- 05.10.2017First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva visits new building for IDP families
- 05.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for school construction in Lahij
- 04.10.2017Minister Kamaleddin Heydarov meets with CEO of Italian Leonardo company
- 04.10.2017Men also among victims of domestic violence in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 04.10.2017Euronews presents report about Azerbaijan's Lahij city - VIDEO
- 03.10.2017Int’l experience shows risk of sexually transmitted diseases is higher, sociologist says
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijan’s ex-health minister appeals to Supreme Court chairman
- 03.10.2017Kamal Abdullayev granted Azerbaijani president’s personal stipend
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani State Committee against children’s involuntary involvement in religious ceremonies
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani, Uzbek emergency situations ministries sign action plan on cooperation
- 03.10.2017U.S. builds new school for IDP community from Lachin region’s Chiragli village
- 02.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev viewed Safari Park Shamakhi
- 09.06.2017Accreditation of four universities approved in Azerbaijan
- 09.06.2017Ali Hasanov: Proposals on problem with Guba Genocide Memorial Complex to be presented to Azerbaijani president
- 09.06.2017Florence Nightingale Hospital: Natig Aliyev died on June 8
- 08.06.2017Ministry: Burial site of Guba Genocide Memorial Complex undergoing erosion
- 08.06.2017Nobel laureate Aziz Sancar to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.06.2017Project “EU Support to Vocational Education and Training in Azerbaijan” presented in Baku