U.S. ambassador visits Guba district
On November 7, U.S. Ambassador to Azerbaijan Robert Cekuta visited Guba district.
The ambassador first viewed the progress of restoration of the Gumbazli Hamam, APA’s local bureau reported.
Cekuta said the Gumbazli Hamam is a unique historical monument and is being restored by the US embassy and local partners with the support of the Ambassador’s Fund for Cultural Preservation.
The uniqueness of the Gumbazli Hamam is partially in its underground architecture. The monument is one of the first examples of the use of baked red bricks. The project has been carried out since 2014 and is in the second stage of restoration work. The project is expected to be completed in March 2018.
The ambassador said that the project is implemented jointly with the Ministry of Culture and Tourism and the Guba District Executive Authority. According to him, Azerbaijan is a country rich in traditions, art and architecture.
“At the same time, Guba means a place where Muslims and Jews have been living together for a long time. We are glad that we are working together on restoration of the bathhouse belonging to the 18th century. I think that Guba residents will also be happy. It is also a great opportunity to preserve Azerbaijan’s rich history and culture,” Cekuta added.
As part of his visit to Guba, Cekuta also joined the opening of a carpeting enterprise where residents of the Alpan, Uzunmesha, Kurkun, and Susay villages will work. Representatives of USAID, the Ministry of Economy, Guba District Executive Authority and local municipality also attended the opening.
The implementation of the project, funded by USAID and the Azerbaijani government, was led by the East West Management Institute. The project will protect and revitalize the art of carpet weaving. Under the project, up to 30 women will be trained in these villages.
Ambassador Cekuta also met with the local Jewish community and visited Deshiva School, and a synagogue.
- 18.01.2018Teymur Bunyadov awarded Shohrat Order
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani SEC to hold first stage of paid mock exam for master admission
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan increases salaries of teachers working in state vocational education institutions
- 17.01.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan SEC announces dates of final, entrance exams in 2018
- 16.01.2018Keshikchi Dag monastery needs to be repaired – Azerbaijani State Service
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani State Agency for Compulsory Health Insurance becomes public legal entity
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani Supreme Court denies former health minister’s appeal
- 16.01.2018Isa Gambar in stable condition, cardiologist says
- 15.01.2018Siyavush Novruzov: If necessary, state will support Isa Gambar’s treatment
- 15.01.2018Isa Gambar’s health condition improving, cardiologist says
- 15.01.2018Health Ministry: Infant and child mortality rates in Azerbaijan drop three times
- 14.01.2018Recent discovery in Meteorites may prove there is life outside Earth - Study
- 13.01.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Sunday
- 10.01.2018Citizens of Non-Aligned movement states to get education grants in Azerbaijan
- 10.01.2018Iranian FM in Russia for talks on nuclear deal, Syria
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: 2,300 IDP families provided with new apartments in 2017
- 08.01.2018Masalli resident captures injured eagle
- 06.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on highway construction in Khachmaz
- 06.01.2018Turkish citizen standing trial in Azerbaijan
- 06.01.2018ANAMA issues 2017 annual report
- 05.01.2018FEP rates photo of Heydar Aliyev Center as ‘Cover Picture of 2017’
- 05.01.2018Man detained attempting to smuggle drugs from Iran to Azerbaijan
- 03.01.2018MES holds operational meeting on search of missing climbers
- 03.01.2018Nearly 386,000 children born worldwide on New Year’s Day, says UNICEF
- 31.12.2017Baku welcomes New Year - PHOTOSESSION
- 31.12.2017World Azerbaijanis mark Solidarity Day
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves “Law on Restriction of Use of Tobacco Products”
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan abolishes penalty for conversation that can district driver’s attention
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan establishes professional holiday of ASAN Service employees
- 29.12.2017Diabetics increase, specialists decrease in numbers in Azerbaijan
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits Yanardag Reserve
- 29.12.2017Israeli ambassador visits Pirallahi district
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan weather forecast for holidays
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani MP suggests exempting disabled from education fee
- 29.12.2017January weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan makes structural changes to Economy Ministry
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles upon several people on Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis
- 28.12.2017Relocation from Sovetsky to continue in January 2018
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijan detains Indian citizens accused of aiding illegal migration
- 07.11.2017Court reduces sentences of Vidadi Zeynalov and Beytulla Huseynov
- 08.11.2017Hadi Rajabli: Level of need criteria should be increased in Azerbaijan
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijan to use new mechanism for increase of pensions
- 07.11.2017Corneal transplantation to be performed in Azerbaijan soon
- 06.11.2017Penalty against drivers for talk, requirement of permit for repair of damaged cars to be abrogated in Azerbaijan
- 06.11.2017Premarital examination: 92 diagnosed with AIDS in Azerbaijan