U.S. ambassador visits Guba district
On November 7, U.S. Ambassador to Azerbaijan Robert Cekuta visited Guba district.
The ambassador first viewed the progress of restoration of the Gumbazli Hamam, APA’s local bureau reported.
Cekuta said the Gumbazli Hamam is a unique historical monument and is being restored by the US embassy and local partners with the support of the Ambassador’s Fund for Cultural Preservation.
The uniqueness of the Gumbazli Hamam is partially in its underground architecture. The monument is one of the first examples of the use of baked red bricks. The project has been carried out since 2014 and is in the second stage of restoration work. The project is expected to be completed in March 2018.
The ambassador said that the project is implemented jointly with the Ministry of Culture and Tourism and the Guba District Executive Authority. According to him, Azerbaijan is a country rich in traditions, art and architecture.
“At the same time, Guba means a place where Muslims and Jews have been living together for a long time. We are glad that we are working together on restoration of the bathhouse belonging to the 18th century. I think that Guba residents will also be happy. It is also a great opportunity to preserve Azerbaijan’s rich history and culture,” Cekuta added.
As part of his visit to Guba, Cekuta also joined the opening of a carpeting enterprise where residents of the Alpan, Uzunmesha, Kurkun, and Susay villages will work. Representatives of USAID, the Ministry of Economy, Guba District Executive Authority and local municipality also attended the opening.
The implementation of the project, funded by USAID and the Azerbaijani government, was led by the East West Management Institute. The project will protect and revitalize the art of carpet weaving. Under the project, up to 30 women will be trained in these villages.
Ambassador Cekuta also met with the local Jewish community and visited Deshiva School, and a synagogue.
- 14.07.2018Minister: Serious violations in appointment of pensions reveal in Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018Weather forecast for July 15
- 14.07.2018Amendments to Azerbaijan’s migration legislation come into force
- 13.07.2018Number of Azerbaijani population has been announced
- 13.07.2018Sudeif Imamverdiyev awarded Sharaf Order
- 13.07.2018BHOS students to work and do internship at Petkim in Turkey
- 12.07.2018Temperature to drop in Baku
- 12.07.2018Baku Higher Oil School and Ministry of Labor and Social Protection hold joint presentation at BHOS
- 11.07.2018BHOS achieves 100 percent MBA student enrollment
- 10.07.2018Meteorologists warn of hot weather in Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018Scottish newspaper publishes names of BHOS graduates
- 09.07.2018UNEC offers second specialization free for students gaining 700 points
- 07.07.2018Head of Sumgayit water canal department fined for sewage water pumped into Caspian Sea
- 06.07.2018Temperature to drop, north-west wind to intensify in Baku
- 05.07.2018Mehriban Aliyeva: Main goal to produce graduates that meet global labor market needs
- 04.07.2018Temperature to drop by 4-6 degrees in Azerbaijan from July 5
- 04.07.2018Hot weather to stay in Absheron peninsula
- 04.07.2018Lunar eclipse to take place in July – ANAS
- 03.07.2018Meteorologists warn hot weather will continue across Azerbaijan
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani roads affected by series of landslides, new landslide-prone areas emerge in several districts
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani border guards intercept 7 trespassers
- 02.07.2018Azerbaijan to submit report on sustainable development to UN in 2019
- 02.07.2018Deputy PM: Azerbaijan to work towards goal of building a more socially oriented society by 2030
- 02.07.2018Weather temperature to reach 46C in Azerbaijan
- 30.06.2018Int’l competition and nationwide championship of junior rescuers and firefighters end in Gabal
- 30.06.2018Hot weather to prevail in Baku in coming days
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani president promotes two Interior Ministry officers
- 29.06.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov receives citizens in Siyazan
- 29.06.2018July weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan increases state duties for driving license issuance and car registration
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan extends registration period for foreigners
- 29.06.2018Post of chief probation officer created in Azerbaijan
- 28.06.2018Azerbaijan's new Deputy Minister of Education appointed
- 28.06.2018Baku Forum on Sustainable Development to be held in October
- 27.06.2018Azerbaijani president allocates funds for development of Baku’s master plan
- 27.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev approves new composition of Sate Oil Fund Supervisory Board
- 27.06.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Siyazan
- 26.06.2018Weather forecast for June 27
- 25.06.2018Over 70,000 students to take part in final exams in Azerbaijan on June 27
- 23.06.2018Azerbaijani Defense Industry Minister Yavar Jamalov dies
- 07.11.2017Court reduces sentences of Vidadi Zeynalov and Beytulla Huseynov
- 08.11.2017Hadi Rajabli: Level of need criteria should be increased in Azerbaijan
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijan to use new mechanism for increase of pensions
- 07.11.2017Corneal transplantation to be performed in Azerbaijan soon
- 06.11.2017Penalty against drivers for talk, requirement of permit for repair of damaged cars to be abrogated in Azerbaijan
- 06.11.2017Premarital examination: 92 diagnosed with AIDS in Azerbaijan