U.S. ambassador visits Guba district
On November 7, U.S. Ambassador to Azerbaijan Robert Cekuta visited Guba district.
The ambassador first viewed the progress of restoration of the Gumbazli Hamam, APA’s local bureau reported.
Cekuta said the Gumbazli Hamam is a unique historical monument and is being restored by the US embassy and local partners with the support of the Ambassador’s Fund for Cultural Preservation.
The uniqueness of the Gumbazli Hamam is partially in its underground architecture. The monument is one of the first examples of the use of baked red bricks. The project has been carried out since 2014 and is in the second stage of restoration work. The project is expected to be completed in March 2018.
The ambassador said that the project is implemented jointly with the Ministry of Culture and Tourism and the Guba District Executive Authority. According to him, Azerbaijan is a country rich in traditions, art and architecture.
“At the same time, Guba means a place where Muslims and Jews have been living together for a long time. We are glad that we are working together on restoration of the bathhouse belonging to the 18th century. I think that Guba residents will also be happy. It is also a great opportunity to preserve Azerbaijan’s rich history and culture,” Cekuta added.
As part of his visit to Guba, Cekuta also joined the opening of a carpeting enterprise where residents of the Alpan, Uzunmesha, Kurkun, and Susay villages will work. Representatives of USAID, the Ministry of Economy, Guba District Executive Authority and local municipality also attended the opening.
The implementation of the project, funded by USAID and the Azerbaijani government, was led by the East West Management Institute. The project will protect and revitalize the art of carpet weaving. Under the project, up to 30 women will be trained in these villages.
Ambassador Cekuta also met with the local Jewish community and visited Deshiva School, and a synagogue.
- 18.11.2017Fatal traffic accident kills 1 police, injures another in Azerbaijan
- 18.11.2017Changeable cloudy weather to prevail in Baku
- 18.11.2017Landslide activity observed in Baku’s Zigh settlement
- 17.11.2017Another quake hits Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017Private and municipal vocational education institutions to be established in Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017ANAS: Land plots, scientific facilities seized over last 5 years returned
- 16.11.2017Kamaladdin Heydarov meets Moldovan interior minister
- 16.11.2017U.S. ambassador to Azerbaijan visits ABAD trade & exhibition center
- 16.11.2017APA celebrates 13th anniversary - PHOTOSESSION
- 16.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan known in world as sporting nation
- 16.11.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates newly-built school in Masazir
- 16.11.2017ANAS: Yesterday’s quake in Azerbaijan had nothing to do with recent quake in Iran
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan establishes organizing committee for Baku BMX World Championships 2018
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan to mark 110th jubilee of academician Ashraf Huseynov
- 15.11.2017U.S. ambassador visits Salyan American Corner
- 15.11.2017Deloitte Azerbaijan introduces new publication - ®
- 15.11.2017Compulsory health insurance can be applied throughout Azerbaijan in 2018 – deputy minister
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan developing state program to repatriate its citizens in Iraq, Syria
- 15.11.2017Deputy Minister reacts to US State Department advising its citizens not to undergo surgery in Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Baku State University’s 100th anniversary to be marked at state level
- 14.11.2017London, a city where you can see Sun, rain and Queen at the same time
- 14.11.2017EBU says Karabakh separatists’ flag to be prevented from being raised at 2017 Junior Eurovision
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani police warn drivers over use of darks films, blinds on car windows
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijan’s Consulate General commemorates Holocaust in Los Angeles
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijan International Environmental Exhibition kicks off
- 13.11.2017New staff of State Language Commission approved
- 13.11.2017Javid Gurbanov awarded title of “Honored Engineer”
- 13.11.2017Sports Palace to be built in Ganja city
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijani delegation led by Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov attends Dubai Airshow 2017
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Talks on creation of production units in prisons bring no results
- 13.11.2017ANAS: Strong earthquake on Iran-Iraq border unlikely to affect Azerbaijan
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijani president: Unsettled issues will be resolved in coming years
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of culture and recreation park named after Aziz Aliyev in Ganja
- 10.11.2017Newly-built dormitory of Azerbaijan State Agrarian University inaugurated
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev views secondary school in Ganja after major overhaul
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev views Ganja Mall
- 10.11.2017ICRC visits about 1,300 women and children of 20 nationalities in Iraq
- 08.11.2017Manufacture of 6 new UAVs launched in ANAS High Tech Park
- 05.11.2017US Embassy sponsors “WoWoman in Me” empowerment program
- 07.11.2017Court reduces sentences of Vidadi Zeynalov and Beytulla Huseynov
- 08.11.2017Hadi Rajabli: Level of need criteria should be increased in Azerbaijan
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijan to use new mechanism for increase of pensions
- 07.11.2017Corneal transplantation to be performed in Azerbaijan soon
- 06.11.2017Penalty against drivers for talk, requirement of permit for repair of damaged cars to be abrogated in Azerbaijan
- 06.11.2017Premarital examination: 92 diagnosed with AIDS in Azerbaijan