Trial resumed for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Friday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Vidadi Zeynalov, head of the Office of the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies, and other people arrested alongside him.
Fatullah Abdullayev said he was a chief accountant at the ministry and confirmed the testimony he had given during the preliminary investigation, APA reported.
Ramiz Sadiqov said he worked at the Beylagan Telephone exchange, noting that two telephone exchange building were built upon the order. “We did not pay the ministry any of the funds allocated for the construction,” he added.
Witness Zulfali Muradov said he worked as chief of the Neftchala telephone exchange, noting that winners of tenders would do the cable installing in the district.
During the trial, the witness’s testimony to preliminary investigation came in conflict with his testimony to court. Muradov said AZN 3 million was allocated to the Neftchala telephone exchange.
“This amount was given to ‘Optik Rabite, Tikinti və Qurashdırma’ LLC upon the instruction of Ogtay Rustamov. In 2014, AZN 84,000 was given to the telephone exchange. This amount was transferred to Tigro company upon Ogtay Rustamov’s request. That is, the company to carry out the construction would be chosen by the administration beforehand. The tenders were formal by nature. On the other hand, the works would be exaggerated by Namazali Mammadov,” he said.
The witness then confirmed his testimony.
Defendant Namazali Mammadov objected to the witness’s testimony, arguing that nothing was illegally done.
Zaur Mammadov said he worked as a chief at the Jalilabad telephone exchange and confirmed his testimony to investigation.
The witness said the work done in Jalilabad was exaggerated to AZN 160,000, noting that defendant Ogtay Rustamov gave instructions that 35 per cent of the funds allocated for the quotations and 10 per cent of these funds would go to Mammad Mammadov. “Vidadi Zeynalov was in control of every thing. The funds allocated for the telephone exchanges were often on paper only. There were no tenders.”
The witness confirmed his testimony. Defendant Vidadi Zeynalov noted that some telephone exchange buildings in the district were repaired upon the order of district executive heads. “The ministry would receive requests in this regard and the amount would be allocated by the ministry. As the buildings were old executive heads would request that we repair the building,” he said.
The trial will proceed on February 1.
A series of investigative operations had discovered that in 2009-2015, the director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, entered into a criminal conspiracy with the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev, gave them a project for the implementation of works on the new telephone lines and installation of new equipment. According to the agreement concluded between them, 35-45% are listed on the accounts of these companies means then had to be returned in cash to Beytullah Huseynov. After that Beytullah Huseynov, abusing official powers and organizing sham tenders issued forged documents, which indicated that the work for the fiber-optic lines for the Internet were carried out by companies controlled by him, though in reality, these works were carried out by local telephone networks. Because of these machinations Beytulla Huseynov misappropriated 21,379,000 of 71,263 million manats, transfers to accounts controlled by him LLC. However, investigators have reason to suspect that the head of the ministry’s Office, Vidadi Zeynalov, processing government orders to close the company itself and increasing their value by 4-5 times, misappropriated 73.59 million manats.
The investigation revealed cases of appropriation of budgetary funds and forgery in “Aztelekom” LLC, “AzİnTelekom” LLC, Center for information and calculations, “Optik Rabite Tikinti ve Qurashdırma”.
The director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev are charged under articles 179.3.2 (embezzlement on a large scale), 308.2 (abuse of power) and 313 (forgery) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
Head of the Ministry Vidadi Zeynalov, general director of LLC "AzİnTelekom" Jalil Jafarov, the general director of LLC “Azerpocht” Gambar Beybalayev, Director LLC "Optik Rabite, Tikinti ve Qurashdırma" Namazali Mammadov faced charges under articles 179.3.2 and 308.2, and chief accountant of the Company Sahrab Humbetov - under articles 179.3.2, 308.2 and 313. For all of those persons elected to the arrest as a preventive measure.
Related news releases
- 28.06.2017Quake hits Azerbaijan
- 28.06.2017Facebook hits two billion users
- 26.06.2017Baku’s central streets to reopen for full public use this evening as F-1 race comes to a close
- 23.06.2017Team that always plays ‘away’: story of Garabagh FC comes to Stamford Bridge
- 23.06.2017Moldovan president visits Formula 1 Paddock
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan Education Ministry: Public legal entity status will open up new opportunities for development of higher education
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan to have five non-working days on Eid al-Fitr
- 23.06.2017Final exams for IX-XI graders starts in Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017Former Azerbaijani health minister gets his appeal denied by court
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on telecommunications
- 22.06.2017Preliminary hearing held for Alexander Lapshin - UPDATED
- 21.06.2017Two Universities in Azerbaijan to get public legal entity status
- 21.06.2017Sayyaf Ismayilov awarded “Honored Civil Servant” title
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijani president signs order on granting young talents a special stipend
- 21.06.2017Justice Ministry comments on lawyers’ statement about Akif Chovdarov’s health
- 21.06.2017Justice Ministry: Doctors are closely following Lapshin’s health condition
- 21.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of Narimanov District Court
- 20.06.2017US Embassy celebrates opening of Ganja American Corner
- 20.06.2017Court rejects Afgan Mukhtarli’s petition
- 20.06.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Jalilabad
- 20.06.2017ADA University hosts event to mark World Refugee Day
- 19.06.2017Ex-ministry official Vidadi Zeynalov again partially reimburses damage caused to state
- 19.06.2017Entrance to part of Baku Seaside National Park to be closed from June 20 to 26
- 19.06.2017Traffic restricted in Baku’s central streets due to F1 Grand Prix
- 19.06.2017War, violence, persecution push displacement to new unprecedented high: UNHCR report
- 19.06.2017US ambassador visits Ganja
- 17.06.2017Traffic police address drivers in connection with Formula 1
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan University of Languages to get public legal entity status
- 16.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on healthcare workers
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan allocates two hospitals for F1 Grand Prix
- 16.06.2017Number of official unemployed population announced
- 16.06.20174-magnitude earthquake hits Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 16.06.2017Number of Azerbaijan population increases 0.3%
- 16.06.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Jalilabad
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan restricts entry of 264 foreigners in May
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan: Military service problems of male students with 1-2 unpaid academic debts to be solved
- 15.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended memorial event for outstanding scientist, academician Rafiga Aliyeva
- 14.06.2017European Union celebrates the launch of its media projects and congratulates winners of its competitions
- 14.06.2017Jojug Marjanli resident awarded “Labor” Order
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijan’s deputy PM: Mandatory medical insurance fees should be acceptable to citizens
- 27.01.2017Azerbaijani SCC chairman promoted to rank of colonel general
- 27.01.2017Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijani president's decree determining monthly allowance for IDPs highly important
- 27.01.2017Azerbaijani Education Ministry: No cooperation with any company providing educational services in Hungary
- 26.01.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Tovuz on Jan. 28
- 26.01.2017Brain death diagnosis to be made in Azerbaijan
- 26.01.2017Unsteady weather predicted for Azerbaijan, temperature to drop