Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Wednesday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Vidadi Zeynalov, head of the Office of the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies of Azerbaijan, and other people arrested alongside him.
The imprisoned former head of the liquidated Ministry of National Security (MNS) Main Directorate for Combating Transnational Economic Crime, Major General Subahir Gurbanov, testified at the trial presided over by judge Afgan Hajiyev.
Gurbanov rejected the claims that he was receiving monthly 50,000 manats from Vidadi Zeynalov.
“Vidadi Zeynalov also gave similar testimony during the investigation, but I did not receive money from him,” he said.
Prosecutor Farid Naghiyev said Gurbanov’s driver confirmed that he was monthly receiving money from the ministry.
In response, Gurbanov noted that he was unaware of it. “Sometimes I appealed to Vidadi Zeynalov regarding purchase of presents on the occasion of events,” he added.
Defendant Vidadi Zeynalov said he knows Subahir Gurbanov since 1983.
“I personally did not give him money and did not know that the funds I gave would be delivered to him. I gave money to the driver to take it to the ministry. I knew that he is a driver of Subahir Gurbanov during the investigation,” he said.
Then, the imprisoned former chief of the Monitoring Center of the liquidated Ministry of National Security, Major General Teymur Guliyev, testified at the trial, rejecting the claims that he was receiving monthly 50,000 manats from Vidadi Zeynalov.
He confirmed the testimony he had given during the preliminary investigation.
Vidadi Zeynalov commented on Guliyev’s testimony: “The ministry’s management instructed me to send monthly 50,000 manats to the MNS. They said these funds were needed for significant public work. I have given the money neither to Subahir Gurbanov nor Teymur Guliyev. I have sent it to the ministry.”
Later, Eldar Gasimov, chairman of the independent trade union of Azerpocht, gave testimony as a witness, confirming his testimony he had given during the preliminary investigation.
Another witness Gurban Rustamov said that he worked as an accountant in the Gabala telephone exchange. He acknowledged that he had given money to Ogtay Rustamov.
The trial will be resumed on Jan. 27.
A series of investigative operations had discovered that in 2009-2015, the director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, entered into a criminal conspiracy with the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev, gave them a project for the implementation of works on the new telephone lines and installation of new equipment. According to the agreement concluded between them, 35-45% are listed on the accounts of these companies means then had to be returned in cash to Beytullah Huseynov. After that Beytullah Huseynov, abusing official powers and organizing sham tenders issued forged documents, which indicated that the work for the fiber-optic lines for the Internet were carried out by companies controlled by him, though in reality, these works were carried out by local telephone networks. Because of these machinations Beytulla Huseynov misappropriated 21,379,000 of 71,263 million manats, transfers to accounts controlled by him LLC. However, investigators have reason to suspect that the head of the ministry’s Office, Vidadi Zeynalov, processing government orders to close the company itself and increasing their value by 4-5 times, misappropriated 73.59 million manats.
The investigation revealed cases of appropriation of budgetary funds and forgery in “Aztelekom” LLC, “AzİnTelekom” LLC, Center for information and calculations, “Optik Rabite Tikinti ve Qurashdırma”.
The director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev are charged under articles 179.3.2 (embezzlement on a large scale), 308.2 (abuse of power) and 313 (forgery) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
Head of the Ministry Vidadi Zeynalov, general director of LLC "AzİnTelekom" Jalil Jafarov, the general director of LLC “Azerpocht” Gambar Beybalaevu, Director LLC "Optik Rabite, Tikinti ve Qurashdırma" Namazaly Mammadov faced charges under articles 179.3.2 and 308.2, and chief accountant of the Company Sahrab Humbetov - under articles 179.3.2, 308.2 and 313. For all of those persons elected to the arrest as a preventive measure.
Related news releases
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission rejects allegations of pardon for a person who wasn’t listed
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan SEC to hold first university entrance exams on April 30
- 27.04.2017MP: Some cafes and restaurants in Azerbaijan offer hookahs containing drugs
- 26.04.2017Azerbaijan's former health minister gets 7 years and 5 days in prison - UPDATED
- 26.04.2017New prosecutor of Baku appointed
- 25.04.2017Victim testifies in trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani MP: People are unsure what currency to choose to save their money
- 25.04.2017Baku city prosecutor Aziz Seyidov elected judge of Supreme Court
- 25.04.2017Baku court holds preliminary hearing on case of APFP member arrested over FETO links
- 25.04.2017Starvation looms for 20 million, UN agricultural advisory group told at opening session
- 24.04.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial continues
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijani president orders payment of allowances to World War II participants
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijani soldiers wounded in April battles provided with artificial limbs on initiative of First VP Mehriban Aliyeva
- 24.04.2017About 7 million people in Azerbaijan at risk of contracting malaria – ministry
- 21.04.2017EU, Azerbaijani SEC hold joint seminar
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan to ban ads of potential harm to children
- 21.04.2017Canadian doctors discover first antibiotic in 30 years
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan declares two non-working days in May
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan weather forecast: Strong winds expected in coming days
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 3 mln to Youth Foundation
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan: 62 killed, 212 injured in emergencies since early 2017
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan issues licenses to 14 companies delivering television programming over Internet
- 19.04.2017The plan for admission of students will be determined by the Cabinet of Ministers
- 18.04.2017One child given up to foreigner for adoption in Azerbaijan this year
- 18.04.2017Attorneys in MNS case refuse to speak to the press
- 18.04.2017CoE experts’ report on NGOs presented in Baku
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan State Examination Center appeals to applicants over second entrance exams
- 17.04.2017Residents of the "Sovietski" addressed a letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 17.04.2017Number of Azerbaijani population announced
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates participants of 1st Int’l Forum of Caucasus Studies Scholars
- 17.04.2017New deputy health minister appointed in Azerbaijan’s Nakhchivan
- 15.04.2017President Aliyev gives instruction to stop construction of residential building in Yasamal district
- 15.04.2017Azerbaijan to start diagnostic evaluation of teachers in several districts from tomorrow
- 14.04.2017Over 1,400 foreigners violated Azerbaijan’s administrative legislation in March
- 14.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament passes bill restricting tobacco use
- 14.04.2017Baku Education Department: No violations recorded during teacher recruitment
- 14.04.2017Azerbaijan to broadcast anti-smoking TV and radio programs
- 13.04.201790 first aid brigades to be available during Baku Islamic Solidarity Games
- 13.04.2017Bears and gazelles illegally kept at some recreational centers in Azerbaijan
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan: Minors to be required to present ID while buying cigarettes
- 25.01.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendment to law on organ transplantation
- 26.01.2017“ASAN Qatar” to be launched on Feb. 1
- 26.01.2017Court issues special ruling against inspectors
- 25.01.2017Azerbaijan to prepare draft laws on general secondary and higher education
- 25.01.2017MP: Azerbaijani president’s decree providing monthly allowance to IDPs – a right step
- 24.01.2017Moldovan gov't posthumously awards Azerbaijani man for fighting separatists in Transnistria