Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Wednesday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Vidadi Zeynalov, head of the Office of the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies, and other people arrested alongside him.
Witness Mikayil Aghayev testified at the trial presided over by judge Afgan Hajiyev.
Mikayil Aghayev, a former senior engineer of the Sabunchu telephone exchange, said he took part in construction of fiber optical cables together with companies that joined the tender.
Later, judge Afgan Hajiyev informed that some witnesses will not be able to attend the trial due to health reasons. They confirmed the testimonies they had given during the preliminary investigation.
Defendant Vidadi Zeynalov filed a petition, asking the court to question members of the Finance Ministry’s audit commission as witnesses and held a repeat examination.
Zeynalov’s lawyer Jeyhun Yusifov filed a petition, asking the court to consider the testimonies of other witnesses announced and summon members of the Finance Ministry to the court as witnesses.
The prosecutor, commenting on the petition, noted that it is not right yet to put the issue into discussion. Thus, the petition can be considered after all witnesses testify.
The trial was postponed until February 17 for interrogation of other 35 witnesses who failed to testify.
A series of investigative operations had discovered that in 2009-2015, the director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, entered into a criminal conspiracy with the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev, gave them a project for the implementation of works on the new telephone lines and installation of new equipment. According to the agreement concluded between them, 35-45% are listed on the accounts of these companies means then had to be returned in cash to Beytullah Huseynov. After that Beytullah Huseynov, abusing official powers and organizing sham tenders issued forged documents, which indicated that the work for the fiber-optic lines for the Internet were carried out by companies controlled by him, though in reality, these works were carried out by local telephone networks. Because of these machinations Beytulla Huseynov misappropriated 21,379,000 of 71,263 million manats, transfers to accounts controlled by him LLC. However, investigators have reason to suspect that the head of the ministry’s Office, Vidadi Zeynalov, processing government orders to close the company itself and increasing their value by 4-5 times, misappropriated 73.59 million manats.
The investigation revealed cases of appropriation of budgetary funds and forgery in “Aztelekom” LLC, “AzİnTelekom” LLC, Center for information and calculations, “Optik Rabite Tikinti ve Qurashdırma”.
The director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev are charged under articles 179.3.2 (embezzlement on a large scale), 308.2 (abuse of power) and 313 (forgery) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
The head of the ministry’s Office Vidadi Zeynalov, the director general of AzInTelekom LLC Jalil Jafarov, the director general of Azerpocht LLC Gambar Beybalayev face charges under articles 179.3.2 and 308.2. A preventive measure in the form of arrest has been chosen against all of those persons.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2018Azerbaijani Defense Industry Minister Yavar Jamalov dies
- 23.06.2018Azerbaijan to mark Mehdi Huseynzade’s 100th birth anniversary
- 23.06.2018Azerbaijani president awards healthcare workers
- 23.06.2018Akif Alizade approved as ANAS president
- 22.06.2018An event held dedicated to the 10th anniversary of the Council on State Support to NGOs
- 22.06.2018Translation of US historian Frederick Starr’s book into Azerbaijani presented
- 22.06.2018Term for registration of foreigners visiting Azerbaijan to be extended
- 22.06.2018Presidential Administration: 29.3 thousand civil servants make up 0.6% of Azerbaijan’s working population
- 22.06.2018Cabinet of Ministers eliminates dispute over vertical position of the state flag of Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijan Teacher Development Centre authorized as CELTA Training Centre
- 21.06.2018Date of Kamaladdin Heydarov’s reception of citizens in Siyazan rescheduled
- 21.06.2018New youth peace platform presented in Tbilisi
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan well understands what pains of conflicts feel like, UN rep says
- 20.06.2018Housing conditions of 265,000 refugees, IDPs improved in Azerbaijan so far: State Committee
- 20.06.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Siyazan
- 20.06.2018About 65,000 students to take part in final exams in Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018Temperature to be 31C in Baku, 36C in regions tomorrow
- 18.06.2018Weather forecast for June 19
- 16.06.2018“Mübarizlər” contest kicks off in Baku
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani MES hosts meeting with U.S. Oklahoma National Guard delegation
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan calculating compulsory health insurance fees
- 14.06.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani citizens to have 5 consecutive non-working days to mark Eid al-Fitr and National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani schools celebrate Day of Farewell Bell
- 13.06.2018Baku's bid to host World Expo 2025 presented at BIE
- 13.06.2018Human rights activist meets daycare worker detained for child maltreatment
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament passes bill on protecting children from harmful information
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan Education Ministry reveals number of transfers students in 2018
- 12.06.2018Over 140,000 educators undergo diagnostic assessment in Azerbaijan over past four years
- 12.06.2018225 Azerbaijani citizens qualified for study abroad in academic year 2017-18 academic year
- 12.06.2018ATDC accredited as Cambridge Professional Development Centre
- 11.06.2018Leyla Novruzova, who was promoted to BP's London office: I’m not very good in planning my career - INTERVIEW
- 08.06.2018Libraff bookstore opens in Baku
- 08.06.2018Weekend weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani representative elected member of UN Committee on Elimination of Discrimination against Women
- 08.06.2018Akif Alizadeh re-elected president of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences - UPDATED
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan has region’s most secure data center, minister says
- 08.06.2018Many products brought to Azerbaijan in plastic containers – ministry
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Migration Service launches new e-service for foreigners, stateless persons
- 08.06.2018Specialty selection for master's degree starts in Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2017Weather to deteriorate in Azerbaijan, snowfall predicted
- 15.02.2017Liquidation commission for Qafqaz University completes its work
- 16.02.20171,446 foreigners deported from Azerbaijan in January
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani human rights defenders welcome presidential order on improvement of penitentiary service
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani SEC sets dates for final exams for ninth graders
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijan: Utility costs of IDPs settled in dormitories, boarding houses to be paid by state