Trial of former Azerbaijani ministry official continues
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Tuesday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Vidadi Zeynalov, head of the Office of the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies of Azerbaijan, and others arrested with him, APA reported.
The trial proceeded with the defenders making their last statements, according to APA.
The defendant, former chief accountant of Baku Telephone Communications Production Association, Anar Mustafayev denied the charges in his last statements. According to him, the facts about increases of the prices of cables bought by the Finance Ministry are unfounded.
“We have filed a petition calling for an interrogation of the workers of the Finance Ministry during the court process. But, unfortunately, the petition was denied. I can prove that the inspection materials compiled by the Finance Ministry are completely formal and had been written by order. My only guilt is that I got some additional payment and did not pay for its taxes. That’s why I told my attorneys not to ask for my acquittal. I will get it myself,” he said.
Mustafayev asked the court for a fair verdict.
The former chief of the optical devices department, Namazali Mammadov, spoke about the works he had done, noting that he is the author of about 20 books. He presented his books to the court. Mammadov said he does not agree with the accusations because he had always been loyal to the state.
"The accusations have nothing to do with me. I have done a lot for the homeland. Therefore, I ask the court for an acquittal,” he said.
Another defendant, former director of “Rabitə Mülki Tikinti” LLC, Emin Mammadov, said he had been working in the field of communications for 35 years and did not allow any illegalities in his job.
"What is my fault? I’m charged with exaggerating prices. If it is a private enterprise, they can exaggerate prices in any form,” he said.
Mammadov also demanded acquittal.
Then defendant Gambar Beybalaev made his last statement, asking for a fair decision.
After that, the jury retired for deliberation. The final verdict will be announced tomorrow.
A state prosecutor had earlier asked the court to sentence Vidadi Zeynalov to 14 years in prison and other accused persons B.Huseynov to 15 years, A.Mustafayev to 8 years, Q.Beybalayev to 10 years. The prosecutor also asked to sentence each of M.Mammadov, J.Jafarov, S.Humbatov and B.Valiyev to 5 years, 11 months and 11 days of probation.
A series of investigative operations had discovered that in 2009-2015, the director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, entered into a criminal conspiracy with the director of “BakÄ± Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev, gave them a project for the implementation of works on the new telephone lines and installation of new equipment. According to the agreement concluded between them, 35-45% are listed on the accounts of these companies means then had to be returned in cash to Beytullah Huseynov. After that Beytullah Huseynov, abusing official powers and organizing sham tenders issued forged documents, which indicated that the work for the fiber-optic lines for the Internet were carried out by companies controlled by him, though in reality, these works were carried out by local telephone networks. Because of these machinations Beytulla Huseynov misappropriated 21,379,000 of 71,263 million manats, transfers to accounts controlled by him LLC. However, investigators have reason to suspect that the head of the ministry’s Office, Vidadi Zeynalov, processing government orders to close the company itself and increasing their value by 4-5 times, misappropriated 73.59 million manats.
The investigation revealed cases of appropriation of budgetary funds and forgery in “Aztelekom” LLC, “AzÄ°nTelekom” LLC, Center for information and calculations, “Optik Rabite Tikinti ve Qurashdırma”.
The director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, the director of “BakÄ± Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev are charged under articles 179.3.2 (embezzlement on a large scale), 308.2 (abuse of power) and 313 (forgery) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
The head of the ministry’s Office Vidadi Zeynalov, the director general of AzInTelekom LLC Jalil Jafarov, the director general of Azerpocht LLC Gambar Beybalayev face charges under articles 179.3.2 and 308.2. A preventive measure in the form of arrest has been chosen against all of those persons.
Related news releases
- 20.07.2018WhatsApp to limit message forwarding
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev allocates AZN 1.3M to State Agency for Compulsory Health Insurance
- 19.07.2018Foreigners can get work visas in Azerbaijan through ASAN Visa – Migration Service
- 19.07.2018North-west wind to intensify in Baku in coming days
- 19.07.2018Number of foreigners granted refugee status in Azerbaijan rises
- 19.07.2018Number of foreigners visiting Azerbaijan increases
- 17.07.2018Azerbaijan increases fines for pedestrians violating road crossing rules
- 17.07.2018Azerbaijani president approves amendments to Code of Administrative Offenses
- 14.07.2018Minister: Serious violations in appointment of pensions reveal in Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018Weather forecast for July 15
- 14.07.2018Amendments to Azerbaijan’s migration legislation come into force
- 13.07.2018Number of Azerbaijani population has been announced
- 13.07.2018Sudeif Imamverdiyev awarded Sharaf Order
- 13.07.2018BHOS students to work and do internship at Petkim in Turkey
- 12.07.2018Temperature to drop in Baku
- 12.07.2018Baku Higher Oil School and Ministry of Labor and Social Protection hold joint presentation at BHOS
- 11.07.2018BHOS achieves 100 percent MBA student enrollment
- 10.07.2018Meteorologists warn of hot weather in Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018Scottish newspaper publishes names of BHOS graduates
- 09.07.2018UNEC offers second specialization free for students gaining 700 points
- 07.07.2018Head of Sumgayit water canal department fined for sewage water pumped into Caspian Sea
- 06.07.2018Temperature to drop, north-west wind to intensify in Baku
- 05.07.2018Mehriban Aliyeva: Main goal to produce graduates that meet global labor market needs
- 04.07.2018Temperature to drop by 4-6 degrees in Azerbaijan from July 5
- 04.07.2018Hot weather to stay in Absheron peninsula
- 04.07.2018Lunar eclipse to take place in July – ANAS
- 03.07.2018Meteorologists warn hot weather will continue across Azerbaijan
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani roads affected by series of landslides, new landslide-prone areas emerge in several districts
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani border guards intercept 7 trespassers
- 02.07.2018Azerbaijan to submit report on sustainable development to UN in 2019
- 02.07.2018Deputy PM: Azerbaijan to work towards goal of building a more socially oriented society by 2030
- 02.07.2018Weather temperature to reach 46C in Azerbaijan
- 30.06.2018Int’l competition and nationwide championship of junior rescuers and firefighters end in Gabal
- 30.06.2018Hot weather to prevail in Baku in coming days
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani president promotes two Interior Ministry officers
- 29.06.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov receives citizens in Siyazan
- 29.06.2018July weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan increases state duties for driving license issuance and car registration
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan extends registration period for foreigners
- 29.06.2018Post of chief probation officer created in Azerbaijan
- 26.07.2017Applicants for journalism specialty to take aptitude test
- 26.07.2017Former head of Bank Standard declared internationally wanted
- 26.07.2017Prosecutor General’s Office: Former head of Bank Standard declared internationally wanted for evading investigation - UPDATED
- 25.07.2017Man detained for illegally cutting down trees
- 25.07.2017Criminal case opened against Olympic champion who caused fatal accident in Baku
- 25.07.20172,350 Azerbaijani citizens serving sentences in Russian prisons