Trial of former Azerbaijani ministry official continues
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Tuesday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Vidadi Zeynalov, head of the Office of the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies of Azerbaijan, and others arrested with him, APA reported.
The trial proceeded with the defenders making their last statements, according to APA.
The defendant, former chief accountant of Baku Telephone Communications Production Association, Anar Mustafayev denied the charges in his last statements. According to him, the facts about increases of the prices of cables bought by the Finance Ministry are unfounded.
“We have filed a petition calling for an interrogation of the workers of the Finance Ministry during the court process. But, unfortunately, the petition was denied. I can prove that the inspection materials compiled by the Finance Ministry are completely formal and had been written by order. My only guilt is that I got some additional payment and did not pay for its taxes. That’s why I told my attorneys not to ask for my acquittal. I will get it myself,” he said.
Mustafayev asked the court for a fair verdict.
The former chief of the optical devices department, Namazali Mammadov, spoke about the works he had done, noting that he is the author of about 20 books. He presented his books to the court. Mammadov said he does not agree with the accusations because he had always been loyal to the state.
"The accusations have nothing to do with me. I have done a lot for the homeland. Therefore, I ask the court for an acquittal,” he said.
Another defendant, former director of “Rabitə Mülki Tikinti” LLC, Emin Mammadov, said he had been working in the field of communications for 35 years and did not allow any illegalities in his job.
"What is my fault? I’m charged with exaggerating prices. If it is a private enterprise, they can exaggerate prices in any form,” he said.
Mammadov also demanded acquittal.
Then defendant Gambar Beybalaev made his last statement, asking for a fair decision.
After that, the jury retired for deliberation. The final verdict will be announced tomorrow.
A state prosecutor had earlier asked the court to sentence Vidadi Zeynalov to 14 years in prison and other accused persons B.Huseynov to 15 years, A.Mustafayev to 8 years, Q.Beybalayev to 10 years. The prosecutor also asked to sentence each of M.Mammadov, J.Jafarov, S.Humbatov and B.Valiyev to 5 years, 11 months and 11 days of probation.
A series of investigative operations had discovered that in 2009-2015, the director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, entered into a criminal conspiracy with the director of “BakÄ± Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev, gave them a project for the implementation of works on the new telephone lines and installation of new equipment. According to the agreement concluded between them, 35-45% are listed on the accounts of these companies means then had to be returned in cash to Beytullah Huseynov. After that Beytullah Huseynov, abusing official powers and organizing sham tenders issued forged documents, which indicated that the work for the fiber-optic lines for the Internet were carried out by companies controlled by him, though in reality, these works were carried out by local telephone networks. Because of these machinations Beytulla Huseynov misappropriated 21,379,000 of 71,263 million manats, transfers to accounts controlled by him LLC. However, investigators have reason to suspect that the head of the ministry’s Office, Vidadi Zeynalov, processing government orders to close the company itself and increasing their value by 4-5 times, misappropriated 73.59 million manats.
The investigation revealed cases of appropriation of budgetary funds and forgery in “Aztelekom” LLC, “AzÄ°nTelekom” LLC, Center for information and calculations, “Optik Rabite Tikinti ve Qurashdırma”.
The director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, the director of “BakÄ± Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev are charged under articles 179.3.2 (embezzlement on a large scale), 308.2 (abuse of power) and 313 (forgery) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
The head of the ministry’s Office Vidadi Zeynalov, the director general of AzInTelekom LLC Jalil Jafarov, the director general of Azerpocht LLC Gambar Beybalayev face charges under articles 179.3.2 and 308.2. A preventive measure in the form of arrest has been chosen against all of those persons.
Related news releases
- 23.10.2017Strong geomagnetic storm expected to begin tomorrow
- 23.10.2017Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Shabran
- 21.10.2017Gabala hosts int’l scientific conference entitled ‘Archeology of Gabala’
- 21.10.2017Baku awaits rainless weather on Sunday
- 20.10.2017Applicants to take entrance exams in two groups this academic year in Azerbaijan
- 20.10.2017Ambassador Cekuta: About 7,000 Azerbaijanis received education in U.S. over 25-year period of diplomatic relations
- 20.10.2017In Azerbaijan, final exams to be held once, but entrance exams more than once under new model
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament excludes 3 issues from agenda
- 20.10.2017AZN 50.5 mln allocated for IDPs who don’t have access to gas supply
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani SEC: In 2019 maximum point in university entrance exams will be 400
- 20.10.2017Education expenditure in Azerbaijan’s draft state budget 2018 exceeds AZN 2 bln
- 20.10.2017Teachers’ diagnostic assessment in Azerbaijan to end next year
- 20.10.2017AZN 5M to be allocated to mark 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 20.10.2017People’s Artist Rafig Huseynov to be taken to Germany for treatment
- 19.10.201770 people brought to responsibility in Baku for auto-hooliganism
- 19.10.2017U.S., Azerbaijan improve water supply, livestock management for residents of Zardab and Aghjabadi
- 18.10.2017Spectators to be provided with buses following Qarabag-Atletico Madrid football match
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan registers 390 HIV-positive people in 2017
- 18.10.2017Documentary “Objective Baku: How Hitler Lost the Battle for Oil” screened in London
- 18.10.2017Increase in male victims of human trafficking, IOM says
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan considers amendment to Criminal Code regarding postponement of sentence for some prisoners
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan defines upper and lowers limits of new penalty for juvenile delinquency
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan’s trade representatives abroad to be paid in amount of 90 percent of ambassador’s salary
- 16.10.2017Interior Minister: Situation with sexual minorities in Azerbaijan no different from that in most European states
- 16.10.2017ANAS proposes businesses undertake to finance development of science in country
- 13.10.2017"IMAGINE" Euro Tolerance Festival 2017 kicks off in Baku
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijan set to abrogate imprisonment for illegal trafficking of medications
- 13.10.2017ANAS says statement by Institute of History on map crisis does not reflect its position
- 13.10.2017U.S., Azerbaijan improve irrigation in Saatli
- 13.10.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 13.10.20174-year-old Azerbaijani child rescued from ISIL in Iraq brought home
- 12.10.2017ANAS Institute of History issues statement on map crisis
- 12.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards railway workers
- 11.10.2017New generation vaccine developed against malaria: Azerbaijani scientist
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijan develops life expectancy map
- 10.10.2017Premarital examination: 240 diagnosed with thalassemia, 7 with AIDS in Azerbaijan
- 10.10.2017Strong magnetic storm to hit Earth
- 09.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Sometimes there are delays in execution of actions relating to Strategic Road Maps
- 09.10.2017Historian: ‘Greater Armenia’ map in history textbook may have been published for insidious purpose
- 09.10.2017Azerbaijan conducts serious fight against corruption, cybercrime: Deputy Prosecutor General
- 13.06.2014Mausoleum of Poets in Tabriz may collapse - PHOTO
- 13.06.2014President Ilham Aliyev approves “State Program on improving mother and child health for 2014-2020”
- 16.06.2014Temperature to reach 35-37 C in Azerbaijan tomorrow
- 13.06.2014Cemil Çiçek: “The liberation of Azerbaijan’s occupied territories is one of the most important issues for Turkey”
- 11.06.2014SSPF gets 13.6% in non-budgetary receipts
- 11.06.2014Unstable weather to continue in Azerbaijan till June 14