Trial of former Azerbaijani ministry official continues
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Tuesday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Vidadi Zeynalov, head of the Office of the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies of Azerbaijan, and others arrested with him, APA reported.
The trial proceeded with the defenders making their last statements, according to APA.
The defendant, former chief accountant of Baku Telephone Communications Production Association, Anar Mustafayev denied the charges in his last statements. According to him, the facts about increases of the prices of cables bought by the Finance Ministry are unfounded.
“We have filed a petition calling for an interrogation of the workers of the Finance Ministry during the court process. But, unfortunately, the petition was denied. I can prove that the inspection materials compiled by the Finance Ministry are completely formal and had been written by order. My only guilt is that I got some additional payment and did not pay for its taxes. That’s why I told my attorneys not to ask for my acquittal. I will get it myself,” he said.
Mustafayev asked the court for a fair verdict.
The former chief of the optical devices department, Namazali Mammadov, spoke about the works he had done, noting that he is the author of about 20 books. He presented his books to the court. Mammadov said he does not agree with the accusations because he had always been loyal to the state.
"The accusations have nothing to do with me. I have done a lot for the homeland. Therefore, I ask the court for an acquittal,” he said.
Another defendant, former director of “Rabitə Mülki Tikinti” LLC, Emin Mammadov, said he had been working in the field of communications for 35 years and did not allow any illegalities in his job.
"What is my fault? I’m charged with exaggerating prices. If it is a private enterprise, they can exaggerate prices in any form,” he said.
Mammadov also demanded acquittal.
Then defendant Gambar Beybalaev made his last statement, asking for a fair decision.
After that, the jury retired for deliberation. The final verdict will be announced tomorrow.
A state prosecutor had earlier asked the court to sentence Vidadi Zeynalov to 14 years in prison and other accused persons B.Huseynov to 15 years, A.Mustafayev to 8 years, Q.Beybalayev to 10 years. The prosecutor also asked to sentence each of M.Mammadov, J.Jafarov, S.Humbatov and B.Valiyev to 5 years, 11 months and 11 days of probation.
A series of investigative operations had discovered that in 2009-2015, the director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, entered into a criminal conspiracy with the director of “BakÄ± Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev, gave them a project for the implementation of works on the new telephone lines and installation of new equipment. According to the agreement concluded between them, 35-45% are listed on the accounts of these companies means then had to be returned in cash to Beytullah Huseynov. After that Beytullah Huseynov, abusing official powers and organizing sham tenders issued forged documents, which indicated that the work for the fiber-optic lines for the Internet were carried out by companies controlled by him, though in reality, these works were carried out by local telephone networks. Because of these machinations Beytulla Huseynov misappropriated 21,379,000 of 71,263 million manats, transfers to accounts controlled by him LLC. However, investigators have reason to suspect that the head of the ministry’s Office, Vidadi Zeynalov, processing government orders to close the company itself and increasing their value by 4-5 times, misappropriated 73.59 million manats.
The investigation revealed cases of appropriation of budgetary funds and forgery in “Aztelekom” LLC, “AzÄ°nTelekom” LLC, Center for information and calculations, “Optik Rabite Tikinti ve Qurashdırma”.
The director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, the director of “BakÄ± Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev are charged under articles 179.3.2 (embezzlement on a large scale), 308.2 (abuse of power) and 313 (forgery) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
The head of the ministry’s Office Vidadi Zeynalov, the director general of AzInTelekom LLC Jalil Jafarov, the director general of Azerpocht LLC Gambar Beybalayev face charges under articles 179.3.2 and 308.2. A preventive measure in the form of arrest has been chosen against all of those persons.
Related news releases
- 19.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev views conditions created at Galaba Park in Goygol
- 19.08.2017AZN 11.8M allocated for reconstruction of water supply and sewerage systems in Azerbaijan’s Salyan
- 16.08.2017Prosecutor seeks 15 years for Akif Chovdarov - UPDATED
- 14.08.2017Baku to host Global Young Leaders Forum
- 14.08.20172,650 Azerbaijani citizens study in Georgia
- 14.08.2017Ghulam Isaczai: Azerbaijani young people are energetic, innovative and inspirational
- 12.08.2017Azerbaijan announces university placement results
- 09.08.2017Iran building hospitals near border with Azerbaijan
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijan declares 4 days off for Eid al-Adha
- 07.08.2017Interior Ministry and Prosecutor’s Office issue joint statement on traffic accident caused by ‘Gelandewagen’
- 07.08.2017Prosecutor seeks penalty for woman for falsely presenting herself as MNS officials
- 05.08.2017Temperature to be 38C in Baku, 40C in regions tomorrow
- 04.08.2017President: Level of unemployment and poverty to reduce more
- 04.08.2017Argument erupts during trial of former MNS general
- 03.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev launches new electrical substation in Gakh
- 03.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of 180-seat orphanage-kindergarten in Gakh
- 03.08.2017Flag Museum opened in Gakh
- 03.08.2017Azerbaijani President arrives in Zagatala
- 03.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of ABAD Center in Balakan
- 03.08.2017Flag Museum opens in Balakan
- 02.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary title on 20 January martyr
- 02.08.2017Ministry of Emergency Situations call on the public to abide by safety regulations on beaches
- 02.08.2017Azerbaijani President attends opening of Pirshagi-Novkhani and Binagadi-Novkhani-Corat highways
- 01.08.2017Baku Higher Oil School students undertake internship at BP
- 31.07.2017Zakir Garalov: Imprisoned MNS officials’ properties worth AZN 56mln under arrest
- 31.07.2017UNEC Business School graduates get global job opportunities
- 31.07.2017Solar eclipse to occur next month
- 29.07.2017Applicants for journalism specialty takes aptitude test
- 28.07.2017Interior Minister of Nakhchivan AR dismissed
- 28.07.2017Program Manager from Massachusetts Institute of Technology visits Baku Higher Oil School
- 28.07.2017Azerbaijan publicizes number of people bitten by snakes in July
- 28.07.2017Prosecutor seeks 5-year sentence for ex-official of liquidated ministry
- 28.07.2017State Examination Center addresses applicants who took entrance exam on July 27
- 28.07.2017The number of people released from arrest has increased by 28% over the past year in Azerbaijan
- 27.07.201783 people killed, 159 injured in emergency situations in Azerbaijan this year
- 27.07.2017Lapshin appeals to Azerbaijani Justice Ministry for his extradition to Israel
- 27.07.2017Temperature in Baku to reach 34-39C in late July
- 27.07.2017Vidadi Zeynalov, Beytulla Huseynov each get 13 years in prison - UPDATED
- 27.07.2017Applicants evacuated due to fire retake entrance exams
- 26.07.2017Justice Ministry: Lapshin’s request for his extradition to Israel may be considered
- 26.07.2017Applicants for journalism specialty to take aptitude test
- 26.07.2017Former head of Bank Standard declared internationally wanted
- 26.07.2017Prosecutor General’s Office: Former head of Bank Standard declared internationally wanted for evading investigation - UPDATED
- 25.07.2017Man detained for illegally cutting down trees
- 25.07.2017Criminal case opened against Olympic champion who caused fatal accident in Baku
- 25.07.20172,350 Azerbaijani citizens serving sentences in Russian prisons