Trial of former Azerbaijani ministry official continues
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Tuesday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Vidadi Zeynalov, head of the Office of the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies of Azerbaijan, and others arrested with him, APA reported.
The trial proceeded with the defenders making their last statements, according to APA.
The defendant, former chief accountant of Baku Telephone Communications Production Association, Anar Mustafayev denied the charges in his last statements. According to him, the facts about increases of the prices of cables bought by the Finance Ministry are unfounded.
“We have filed a petition calling for an interrogation of the workers of the Finance Ministry during the court process. But, unfortunately, the petition was denied. I can prove that the inspection materials compiled by the Finance Ministry are completely formal and had been written by order. My only guilt is that I got some additional payment and did not pay for its taxes. That’s why I told my attorneys not to ask for my acquittal. I will get it myself,” he said.
Mustafayev asked the court for a fair verdict.
The former chief of the optical devices department, Namazali Mammadov, spoke about the works he had done, noting that he is the author of about 20 books. He presented his books to the court. Mammadov said he does not agree with the accusations because he had always been loyal to the state.
"The accusations have nothing to do with me. I have done a lot for the homeland. Therefore, I ask the court for an acquittal,” he said.
Another defendant, former director of “Rabitə Mülki Tikinti” LLC, Emin Mammadov, said he had been working in the field of communications for 35 years and did not allow any illegalities in his job.
"What is my fault? I’m charged with exaggerating prices. If it is a private enterprise, they can exaggerate prices in any form,” he said.
Mammadov also demanded acquittal.
Then defendant Gambar Beybalaev made his last statement, asking for a fair decision.
After that, the jury retired for deliberation. The final verdict will be announced tomorrow.
A state prosecutor had earlier asked the court to sentence Vidadi Zeynalov to 14 years in prison and other accused persons B.Huseynov to 15 years, A.Mustafayev to 8 years, Q.Beybalayev to 10 years. The prosecutor also asked to sentence each of M.Mammadov, J.Jafarov, S.Humbatov and B.Valiyev to 5 years, 11 months and 11 days of probation.
A series of investigative operations had discovered that in 2009-2015, the director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, entered into a criminal conspiracy with the director of “BakÄ± Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev, gave them a project for the implementation of works on the new telephone lines and installation of new equipment. According to the agreement concluded between them, 35-45% are listed on the accounts of these companies means then had to be returned in cash to Beytullah Huseynov. After that Beytullah Huseynov, abusing official powers and organizing sham tenders issued forged documents, which indicated that the work for the fiber-optic lines for the Internet were carried out by companies controlled by him, though in reality, these works were carried out by local telephone networks. Because of these machinations Beytulla Huseynov misappropriated 21,379,000 of 71,263 million manats, transfers to accounts controlled by him LLC. However, investigators have reason to suspect that the head of the ministry’s Office, Vidadi Zeynalov, processing government orders to close the company itself and increasing their value by 4-5 times, misappropriated 73.59 million manats.
The investigation revealed cases of appropriation of budgetary funds and forgery in “Aztelekom” LLC, “AzÄ°nTelekom” LLC, Center for information and calculations, “Optik Rabite Tikinti ve Qurashdırma”.
The director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, the director of “BakÄ± Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev are charged under articles 179.3.2 (embezzlement on a large scale), 308.2 (abuse of power) and 313 (forgery) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
The head of the ministry’s Office Vidadi Zeynalov, the director general of AzInTelekom LLC Jalil Jafarov, the director general of Azerpocht LLC Gambar Beybalayev face charges under articles 179.3.2 and 308.2. A preventive measure in the form of arrest has been chosen against all of those persons.
Related news releases
- 16.01.2018Keshikchi Dag monastery needs to be repaired – Azerbaijani State Service
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani State Agency for Compulsory Health Insurance becomes public legal entity
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani Supreme Court denies former health minister’s appeal
- 16.01.2018Isa Gambar in stable condition, cardiologist says
- 15.01.2018Siyavush Novruzov: If necessary, state will support Isa Gambar’s treatment
- 15.01.2018Isa Gambar’s health condition improving, cardiologist says
- 15.01.2018Health Ministry: Infant and child mortality rates in Azerbaijan drop three times
- 14.01.2018Recent discovery in Meteorites may prove there is life outside Earth - Study
- 13.01.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Sunday
- 10.01.2018Citizens of Non-Aligned movement states to get education grants in Azerbaijan
- 10.01.2018Iranian FM in Russia for talks on nuclear deal, Syria
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: 2,300 IDP families provided with new apartments in 2017
- 08.01.2018Masalli resident captures injured eagle
- 06.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on highway construction in Khachmaz
- 06.01.2018Turkish citizen standing trial in Azerbaijan
- 06.01.2018ANAMA issues 2017 annual report
- 05.01.2018FEP rates photo of Heydar Aliyev Center as ‘Cover Picture of 2017’
- 05.01.2018Man detained attempting to smuggle drugs from Iran to Azerbaijan
- 03.01.2018MES holds operational meeting on search of missing climbers
- 03.01.2018Nearly 386,000 children born worldwide on New Year’s Day, says UNICEF
- 31.12.2017Baku welcomes New Year - PHOTOSESSION
- 31.12.2017World Azerbaijanis mark Solidarity Day
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves “Law on Restriction of Use of Tobacco Products”
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan abolishes penalty for conversation that can district driver’s attention
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan establishes professional holiday of ASAN Service employees
- 29.12.2017Diabetics increase, specialists decrease in numbers in Azerbaijan
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits Yanardag Reserve
- 29.12.2017Israeli ambassador visits Pirallahi district
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan weather forecast for holidays
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani MP suggests exempting disabled from education fee
- 29.12.2017January weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan makes structural changes to Economy Ministry
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles upon several people on Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis
- 28.12.2017Relocation from Sovetsky to continue in January 2018
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijan detains Indian citizens accused of aiding illegal migration
- 27.12.2017Street in Tbilisi named after prominent Azerbaijani Rashid Behbudov
- 27.12.2017Tbilisi streets named after prominent Azerbaijanis: Many of these names exist on map only
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijani police to tighten security on holidays
- 26.12.2017Patriarch Kirill presents high order of Russian Orthodox Church to Mehriban Aliyeva
- 26.12.2017Ali Hasanov: 11,000 IDP families live in 117 buildings in disrepair in Baku - INTERVIEW
- 26.07.2017Applicants for journalism specialty to take aptitude test
- 26.07.2017Former head of Bank Standard declared internationally wanted
- 26.07.2017Prosecutor General’s Office: Former head of Bank Standard declared internationally wanted for evading investigation - UPDATED
- 25.07.2017Man detained for illegally cutting down trees
- 25.07.2017Criminal case opened against Olympic champion who caused fatal accident in Baku
- 25.07.20172,350 Azerbaijani citizens serving sentences in Russian prisons