Torture in prisons discussed at EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting in Baku
Vice-President of the European Parliament Heidi Hautala has expressed concern over reports on the facts of torture in Azerbaijan’s correctional facilities.
“I was informed about the facts of torture in Azerbaijan’s correctional facilities, and I’m concerned about this,” said Hautala addressing the 15th meeting of the European Union-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee in Baku on May 7, APA reports.
The EP vice-president said that if there is no tolerance against people with different mentality, then the tolerance is incomplete.
“I met with Ilgar Mammadov a week ago. A flexible ground is needed for the activities of law enforcement authorities. In particular, we are interested in the activity of the Bar Association, its independence. There is no complete achievement in this area, and the Ministry of Justice has the opportunity to penetrate this area,” she added.
Addressing the meeting, Azerbaijani MP Kamran Bayramov said that the mission of the European Committee for the Prevention of Torture can visit correctional facilities in Azerbaijan at any time.
"The reports prepared by this Committee are taken into account by the government. Several years ago there was a problem with the conditions of detention in correctional facilities. In recent years, new correctional facilities have been built in the capital and districts under the president’s order. At the same time seminars are being held for employees of the Penitentiary Service,” he said.
MP Chingiz Ganizade asked for any facts on torture in Azerbaijani prisons to be presented.
"Such reports are unfounded, and any incident between two prisoners is presented as a politically motivated event," he said.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2018Akif Chovdarov asks court to acquit him
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amendments to law on road traffic
- 24.05.2018President Aliyev: Number of Azerbaijani IDPs provided with housing to reach 285,000 by year-end
- 24.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new residential complex for IDPs in Baku
- 23.05.2018Payments on insurance against industrial accidents amounts to AZN 1.4M
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani MP criticizes NGOs: Many of them engaged in populism
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani MP opposes equating bride kidnapping to abduction
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani MP expresses disapproval of media coverage of suicides among youth
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani MP proposes reducing number of children for notion of multiple-children family from 5 to 3
- 23.05.2018Round table on theme “Azerbaijani family model” kicks off in parliament
- 23.05.2018MP: In most cases Facebook, SMS messages end marriages in Azerbaijan
- 23.05.2018Number of people with disabilities in Azerbaijan announced
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijan to amend law on education
- 21.05.2018Teachers to undergo certification testing in Azerbaijan
- 19.05.2018Weather forecast for May 20
- 18.05.2018Newspaper Echo closing down
- 18.05.2018More than 900 people die of HIV in Azerbaijan over past 31 years
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s SEC to hold TOEFL IBT and SAT exams
- 18.05.2018193 diagnosed with HIV in Azerbaijan in 2018, 16 mortalities reported
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan’s Minister of Ecology and Natural Resources has received a BP delegation.
- 17.05.2018Much remains to be done to solve IDPs’ problems in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC chairperson comments on suicides of two applicants
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan SEC gives applicants opportunity to change specialty groups
- 17.05.2018Carpet weaved during period of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic put on display
- 17.05.2018Bodies of Azerbaijani mountaineers handed over to families
- 16.05.2018U.S. citizens traveling by AZAL's New York-Baku flight to be granted ASAN Visa
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijani Cabinet of Ministers mulls strengthening control over illicit medicine trade
- 16.05.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new building of Nakhchivan Teachers Institute
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates secondary school in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev launches start of reconstruction of water supply system in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC announces results of entrance exams on 2nd and 3rd specialty groups
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijani president inaugurates new building of Heydar Aliyev Modern Educational Complex - UPDATED
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan creates organizing committee to hold European Youth Olympic Festival
- 15.05.2018Amount of fee for ASAN visas offered at Azerbaijani airports determined
- 15.05.2018Over 430,000 foreigners granted Azerbaijani visas via ASAN Visa since January 2017
- 15.05.2018ASAN Visa system launched at Baku’s Heydar Aliyev International Airport
- 14.05.2018Evasion from paying unemployment insurance and mandatory state social insurance to entail criminal liability
- 12.05.2018Traffic movement to be restricted in center of Baku tomorrow
- 12.05.2018Lightning, heavy rain expected in some places tomorrow
- 07.05.2018Kamran Imanov appointed chairman of Board of Intellectual Property Agency
- 08.05.2018Police salaries increased 16-fold in last 15 years – interior minister
- 09.05.2018Traffic to be restricted in some streets and avenues of Baku on May 10
- 07.05.2018Top official: Freedom of speech and press ensured in Azerbaijan
- 07.05.2018Azerbaijani official: Counterfeit drugs trade – one of most serious crimes
- 04.05.2018Results of final exams held for 9th form pupils on March 18 publicized