Supreme Court revokes decision of Baku Appellate Court on blogger Mehman Huseynov
The Supreme Court of Azerbaijan considered on Friday the appeal filed against the verdict on blogger Mehman Huseynov.
Huseynov’s lawyers made a speech at the hearing presided over by judge Ali Seyfaliyev, APA reported.
They asked the court to terminate the criminal case against Huseynov on a justified basis. The representative of the special prosecutor demanded the court not to uphold the appeal.
Then, the Supreme Court announced its decision, according to which the appeal was partially upheld.
The decision of the Baku Court of Appeal on the case of Huseynov was revoked, and it was decided to return the case to the Baku Court of Appeal for reconsideration.
Blogger Mehman Huseynov had been sentenced to two years in prison over the private prosecution filed by the chief of the Nasimi District Police Department, Musa Musayev, under Article 147.2 (the slander, which is connected with accusation of committing serious or especially serious crime) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
He was arrested in the courtroom. The appeal filed against the court decision was denied.
Related news releases
- 18.10.2017Spectators to be provided with buses following Qarabag-Atletico Madrid football match
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan registers 390 HIV-positive people in 2017
- 18.10.2017Documentary “Objective Baku: How Hitler Lost the Battle for Oil” screened in London
- 18.10.2017Increase in male victims of human trafficking, IOM says
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan considers amendment to Criminal Code regarding postponement of sentence for some prisoners
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan defines upper and lowers limits of new penalty for juvenile delinquency
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan’s trade representatives abroad to be paid in amount of 90 percent of ambassador’s salary
- 16.10.2017Interior Minister: Situation with sexual minorities in Azerbaijan no different from that in most European states
- 16.10.2017ANAS proposes businesses undertake to finance development of science in country
- 13.10.2017"IMAGINE" Euro Tolerance Festival 2017 kicks off in Baku
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijan set to abrogate imprisonment for illegal trafficking of medications
- 13.10.2017ANAS says statement by Institute of History on map crisis does not reflect its position
- 13.10.2017U.S., Azerbaijan improve irrigation in Saatli
- 13.10.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 13.10.20174-year-old Azerbaijani child rescued from ISIL in Iraq brought home
- 12.10.2017ANAS Institute of History issues statement on map crisis
- 12.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards railway workers
- 11.10.2017New generation vaccine developed against malaria: Azerbaijani scientist
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijan develops life expectancy map
- 10.10.2017Premarital examination: 240 diagnosed with thalassemia, 7 with AIDS in Azerbaijan
- 10.10.2017Strong magnetic storm to hit Earth
- 09.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Sometimes there are delays in execution of actions relating to Strategic Road Maps
- 09.10.2017Historian: ‘Greater Armenia’ map in history textbook may have been published for insidious purpose
- 09.10.2017Azerbaijan conducts serious fight against corruption, cybercrime: Deputy Prosecutor General
- 06.10.2017Project ‘Italian language week’ presented in Baku
- 06.10.2017Ambassador: From among EU countries, Italy is where most Azerbaijani students choose to pursue their study
- 06.10.2017Some Ashura blood donators found to be infected with HIV, Hepatitis, Syphilis: Health Ministry
- 06.10.2017Nobel Peace Prize 2017 awarded to International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons
- 06.10.2017Azerbaijani Press Council recommends fines for violation of literary language norms
- 06.10.2017Azerbaijan’s NTRC reveals main problems with using literary language on television and radio
- 06.10.201711th International Education Exhibition opens in Baku
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijani First Vice-President attended ceremony to give out new apartments to IDP families in Masazir
- 05.10.2017First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva visits new building for IDP families
- 05.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for school construction in Lahij
- 04.10.2017Minister Kamaleddin Heydarov meets with CEO of Italian Leonardo company
- 04.10.2017Men also among victims of domestic violence in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 04.10.2017Euronews presents report about Azerbaijan's Lahij city - VIDEO
- 03.10.2017Int’l experience shows risk of sexually transmitted diseases is higher, sociologist says
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijan’s ex-health minister appeals to Supreme Court chairman
- 03.10.2017Kamal Abdullayev granted Azerbaijani president’s personal stipend
- 29.09.2017World-renowned Azerbaijani scientist Lotfi Zadeh laid to rest
- 29.09.2017Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov receives citizens in Samukh - UPDATED
- 29.09.2017Amendments envisaging decriminalization for use, possession of drugs in Azerbaijan considered ‘unacceptable’
- 29.09.2017October weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 29.09.2017Farewell ceremony for world-renowned scientist Lotfi Zadeh begins at ANAS
- 29.09.2017Ambassador Cekuta: Lotfi Zadeh made great contribution to development of science in US