Strong geomagnetic storm expected to begin tomorrow
A strong geomagnetic storm is predicted to occur tomorrow and last for three days, Elchin Babayev, Deputy Director of the Shamakhi Astrophysical Observatory, told APA.
According to Babayev, Kp geomagnetic index is changing between 2 and 3 for now (maximum 9) but it is going to rise eventually. On October 24 and 25 respectively, G1- and G2-category (maximum G5) storms will occur.
Babayev said storms of this scale occur once or twice every 11 years.
He explained that this geomagnetic storm is occurring as a result of a solar plasma stream originating from a medium-size coronal hole on the Sun’s surface.
“Charged plasmatic particles easily leave the coronal hole and set off in the direction of interplanetary space, to the Earth as well. Currently, the plasma wind speed is 440 km/s. The directivity of the interplanetary magnetic field to the south of Z component makes the cosmic weather unfavorable and plays the role of a catalyst,” Babayev said.
He went on to say that there is also an increase in atmospheric pressure, which causes discomfort.
“The storm is more effective in the upper latitudes. The images of the mysterious polar shines (Aurora borealis) will soon be posted in the media. The effect on our mid-range geographical circles is usually weak,” he said.
Babayev noted that, unlike healthy people, those who are suffering from chronic cardiovascular disease, as well as the elderly and the children should avoid tension and take precautionary measures (based on the doctor's advice).
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijani president orders increasing social allowances
- 23.02.2018Allowance for women with more than 5 children increased in Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018Committee chairman: Nationalization of surnames hotly debated issue in Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018Deputy PM: 97 families evacuated from landslide zone on Bayil slope
- 23.02.2018U.S. helps people with disabilities receive free legal aid
- 23.02.2018Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Lankaran
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani president's personal pension increased by AZN150
- 22.02.2018Monthly stipend for young talents increased by 100 manats
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani president increases monthly scholarship for honorary titles
- 22.02.2018Collegium of Advocates to be provided with new building
- 22.02.2018Prosecutor asks court to strip MNS generals of their ranks
- 22.02.2018Prosecutor seeks 16 years for Subahir Gurbanov and Teymur Guliyev - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018International organizations praise anti-corruption measures in Azerbaijan
- 22.02.2018Ministry of Education announces results of student transfer
- 22.02.2018First-grade admission gets started in Baku
- 22.02.2018Requirements for construction of buildings erected in place of emergency structures in nine districts of Baku changed
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan to mark 110th anniversary of academician Musa Aliyev
- 21.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev orders increasing unified monthly allowance for IDPs
- 21.02.2018U.S. ambassador visits school built for IDPs in Baku
- 21.02.2018New specialties created in the master's degree in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2018Presidential pension for Azerbaijan’s national heroes increases
- 20.02.2018Ilham Aliyev orders increasing presidential pension for Great Patriotic War veterans
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani president appoints members of Civil Service Management Board
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani court commences hearing on Afgan Mukhtarli’s appeal
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan starts relocating IDP families to new settlement in Tartar
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan specifies what medications caused severe poisoning
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan imports most medicines from Europe – Health Ministry
- 20.02.2018Guba-Khinalig road reopened after avalanche
- 19.02.2018Pension for 20 January disabled increased by 10%
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani president increases monthly pension for citizens disabled in war
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss bill on state fingerprinting and genome registration
- 17.02.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Sunday
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan detains 26 foreigners in anti-migration op
- 16.02.2018Italian architects prepared project for Yanardagh complex construction – envoy
- 16.02.2018Baku to host Italian Design Day
- 16.02.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Saturday
- 16.02.2018Georgian education minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2018ASAN and ABAD very good Azerbaijani brands: EU envoy
- 16.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers: Families relocated from Bayil landslide area to be given rental money
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan discloses non-working days in March 2018
- 24.10.20172,010 residential, non-residential buildings around Teze Pir mosque in Baku to be demolished
- 24.10.2017Azerbaijani gov’t to provide financial support to research universities
- 24.10.2017Azerbaijan’s minister of emergency situations meets with UN resident coordinator
- 23.10.2017Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Shabran
- 21.10.2017Gabala hosts int’l scientific conference entitled ‘Archeology of Gabala’
- 21.10.2017Baku awaits rainless weather on Sunday