Strong geomagnetic storm expected to begin tomorrow
A strong geomagnetic storm is predicted to occur tomorrow and last for three days, Elchin Babayev, Deputy Director of the Shamakhi Astrophysical Observatory, told APA.
According to Babayev, Kp geomagnetic index is changing between 2 and 3 for now (maximum 9) but it is going to rise eventually. On October 24 and 25 respectively, G1- and G2-category (maximum G5) storms will occur.
Babayev said storms of this scale occur once or twice every 11 years.
He explained that this geomagnetic storm is occurring as a result of a solar plasma stream originating from a medium-size coronal hole on the Sun’s surface.
“Charged plasmatic particles easily leave the coronal hole and set off in the direction of interplanetary space, to the Earth as well. Currently, the plasma wind speed is 440 km/s. The directivity of the interplanetary magnetic field to the south of Z component makes the cosmic weather unfavorable and plays the role of a catalyst,” Babayev said.
He went on to say that there is also an increase in atmospheric pressure, which causes discomfort.
“The storm is more effective in the upper latitudes. The images of the mysterious polar shines (Aurora borealis) will soon be posted in the media. The effect on our mid-range geographical circles is usually weak,” he said.
Babayev noted that, unlike healthy people, those who are suffering from chronic cardiovascular disease, as well as the elderly and the children should avoid tension and take precautionary measures (based on the doctor's advice).
Related news releases
- 18.06.2018Weather forecast for June 19
- 16.06.2018“Mübarizlər” contest kicks off in Baku
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani MES hosts meeting with U.S. Oklahoma National Guard delegation
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan calculating compulsory health insurance fees
- 14.06.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani citizens to have 5 consecutive non-working days to mark Eid al-Fitr and National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani schools celebrate Day of Farewell Bell
- 13.06.2018Baku's bid to host World Expo 2025 presented at BIE
- 13.06.2018Human rights activist meets daycare worker detained for child maltreatment
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament passes bill on protecting children from harmful information
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan Education Ministry reveals number of transfers students in 2018
- 12.06.2018Over 140,000 educators undergo diagnostic assessment in Azerbaijan over past four years
- 12.06.2018225 Azerbaijani citizens qualified for study abroad in academic year 2017-18 academic year
- 12.06.2018ATDC accredited as Cambridge Professional Development Centre
- 11.06.2018Leyla Novruzova, who was promoted to BP's London office: I’m not very good in planning my career - INTERVIEW
- 08.06.2018Libraff bookstore opens in Baku
- 08.06.2018Weekend weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani representative elected member of UN Committee on Elimination of Discrimination against Women
- 08.06.2018Akif Alizadeh re-elected president of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences - UPDATED
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan has region’s most secure data center, minister says
- 08.06.2018Many products brought to Azerbaijan in plastic containers – ministry
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Migration Service launches new e-service for foreigners, stateless persons
- 08.06.2018Specialty selection for master's degree starts in Azerbaijan
- 08.06.2018New president of ANAS to be elected today
- 06.06.2018Strong, destructive earthquake not expected in Azerbaijan – top seismologist
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Bar Association rejects rumors on alleged bias towards lawyers with opposition views
- 06.06.2018Inauguration of new lawyers held in Azerbaijan
- 06.06.2018No causalities reported after quake in Azerbaijan’s Zagatala: Health Ministry
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani setting up electronic system for assessment of judicial activity
- 06.06.2018Aftershocks likely to continue after strong earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Zagatala – Seismic Survey Center
- 05.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: Development of Azerbaijan’s healthcare system remains center of attention
- 05.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Naftalan City Central Hospital
- 04.06.2018Azerbaijani MES leadership visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev and Alley of Martyrs in Baku
- 04.06.2018Academy of Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry marks 10th anniversary
- 04.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Emergency Situations, Int’l Civil Defense Organization sign document on information exchange
- 02.06.2018EuroVillage 2018 opens in Baku
- 01.06.2018Governor: Georgian citizens injured in bus accident in Azerbaijan are in stable condition
- 01.06.2018UK Embassy in Baku holds forum on harmful effects of plastic products
- 01.06.2018Two Azerbaijani children adopted by Iranian and Turkish citizens this year
- 31.05.2018Azerbaijani president awards civil aviation workers
- 24.10.20172,010 residential, non-residential buildings around Teze Pir mosque in Baku to be demolished
- 24.10.2017Azerbaijani gov’t to provide financial support to research universities
- 24.10.2017Azerbaijan’s minister of emergency situations meets with UN resident coordinator
- 23.10.2017Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Shabran
- 21.10.2017Gabala hosts int’l scientific conference entitled ‘Archeology of Gabala’
- 21.10.2017Baku awaits rainless weather on Sunday