Strong geomagnetic storm expected to begin tomorrow
A strong geomagnetic storm is predicted to occur tomorrow and last for three days, Elchin Babayev, Deputy Director of the Shamakhi Astrophysical Observatory, told APA.
According to Babayev, Kp geomagnetic index is changing between 2 and 3 for now (maximum 9) but it is going to rise eventually. On October 24 and 25 respectively, G1- and G2-category (maximum G5) storms will occur.
Babayev said storms of this scale occur once or twice every 11 years.
He explained that this geomagnetic storm is occurring as a result of a solar plasma stream originating from a medium-size coronal hole on the Sun’s surface.
“Charged plasmatic particles easily leave the coronal hole and set off in the direction of interplanetary space, to the Earth as well. Currently, the plasma wind speed is 440 km/s. The directivity of the interplanetary magnetic field to the south of Z component makes the cosmic weather unfavorable and plays the role of a catalyst,” Babayev said.
He went on to say that there is also an increase in atmospheric pressure, which causes discomfort.
“The storm is more effective in the upper latitudes. The images of the mysterious polar shines (Aurora borealis) will soon be posted in the media. The effect on our mid-range geographical circles is usually weak,” he said.
Babayev noted that, unlike healthy people, those who are suffering from chronic cardiovascular disease, as well as the elderly and the children should avoid tension and take precautionary measures (based on the doctor's advice).
Related news releases
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan stiffening penalties against violation of rules restricting tobacco use
- 24.11.2017Kamaladdin Heydarov receives citizens in Zardab
- 24.11.2017About 2.6 million children live in Azerbaijan
- 24.11.20173 million robotic surgeries carried out throughout world in 2016
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan’s Seismic Survey Center releases info on consequences of 6-magnnitude quake in Aghdam
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan appeals to int’l organizations to return body of its soldier
- 23.11.2017Upper level of need criteria set at AZN 116
- 23.11.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 22.11.2017Number of Armenians living in Azerbaijan revealed
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani Parl’t deputy speaker stresses need for reforms in law enforcement, security and judicial bodies
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani MP calls for more spending on healthcare
- 22.11.2017MP proposes creating business incubators in Azerbaijan’s educational institutions
- 22.11.2017Baku hosts int’l conference on promoting tolerance among youth
- 22.11.2017Leyla Aliyeva meets with UNICEF regional director
- 22.11.201720 judges, including 7 chairmen of courts dismissed in Azerbaijan this year
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani state should provide serious support for treatment of autistic children – MP
- 21.11.2017Dust quantity in Baku and Absheron Peninsula exceeds sanitary norm
- 20.11.2017World conflicts hinder mankind from achieving SDGs – UNICEF
- 20.11.2017UNICEF: Level of children’s education in Azerbaijan exceeds 95 percent
- 20.11.2017Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Zardab district
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijan to have five-day holiday for New Year
- 18.11.2017Fatal traffic accident kills 1 police, injures another in Azerbaijan
- 18.11.2017Changeable cloudy weather to prevail in Baku
- 18.11.2017Landslide activity observed in Baku’s Zigh settlement
- 17.11.2017Another quake hits Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017Private and municipal vocational education institutions to be established in Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017ANAS: Land plots, scientific facilities seized over last 5 years returned
- 16.11.2017Kamaladdin Heydarov meets Moldovan interior minister
- 16.11.2017U.S. ambassador to Azerbaijan visits ABAD trade & exhibition center
- 16.11.2017APA celebrates 13th anniversary - PHOTOSESSION
- 16.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan known in world as sporting nation
- 16.11.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates newly-built school in Masazir
- 16.11.2017ANAS: Yesterday’s quake in Azerbaijan had nothing to do with recent quake in Iran
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan establishes organizing committee for Baku BMX World Championships 2018
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan to mark 110th jubilee of academician Ashraf Huseynov
- 15.11.2017U.S. ambassador visits Salyan American Corner
- 15.11.2017Deloitte Azerbaijan introduces new publication - ®
- 15.11.2017Compulsory health insurance can be applied throughout Azerbaijan in 2018 – deputy minister
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan developing state program to repatriate its citizens in Iraq, Syria
- 24.10.20172,010 residential, non-residential buildings around Teze Pir mosque in Baku to be demolished
- 24.10.2017Azerbaijani gov’t to provide financial support to research universities
- 24.10.2017Azerbaijan’s minister of emergency situations meets with UN resident coordinator
- 23.10.2017Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Shabran
- 21.10.2017Gabala hosts int’l scientific conference entitled ‘Archeology of Gabala’
- 21.10.2017Baku awaits rainless weather on Sunday