Scientific conference dedicated to centenary of 1918 Genocide of Azerbaijanis held in Guba
A republican scientific conference dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the 1918 Genocide of Azerbaijanis was held at the Guba Genocide Memorial Complex on March 31.
Prior to the conference, a photo exhibition “1918 March Genocide through the eyes of Belarus photographer Lev Dashkevich” and a book exhibition dedicated to Genocide of Azerbaijanis were launched.
Vice-President of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS), academician Isa Habibbeyli delivered keynote remarks at the conference.
Then, a film titled “Guba Genocide” was displayed at the event.
Addressing the conference, the Azerbaijani President’s Assistant for Public and Political Affairs, Ali Hasanov, recalled that on 18 January 2018, President Ilham Aliyev signed an order on the centenary of the 1918 Genocide of Azerbaijanis.
“Under the order, head of the Presidential Administration approved a plan of events dedicated to the centenary of the Genocide of Azerbaijanis,” he said.
He emphasized that the preservation of the mass burial site unearthed in Guba in 2007 is always in the focus of the Azerbaijani president’s attention.
Hasanov said that a commission was set up under the president’s instruction in order to study the current situation at the Guba Genocide Memorial Complex and to prevent the erosion process there.
The top official went on to say that members of the commission inspected the burial site and viewed the work of the museum created there.
“The commission members considered it appropriate to bury the human remains in accordance with national and religious traditions, to install a memorial plaque and to create conditions for the conduct of excavation work for a possible historical study. All this was reported to the country’s president. Given the commission’s proposals, the remains of the genocide victims were buried, and a memorial plaque was installed,” he said.
“Although the Armenian nationalists, having committed numerous acts of genocide, aimed to shake the Azerbaijani people and to seize our lands by force, these grave tragedies made our people even stronger and mobilized our sons and daughters for a decisive and organized struggle for the sacred Motherland and our national statehood. An adequate response given by our army to the military provocations of Armenian armed units, the liberation of part of our occupied territories clearly demonstrated what Azerbaijan is capable of,” Hasanov stressed.
He noted that Azerbaijan joined the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide in 1996.
“This convention was adopted by the UN General Assembly on December 9, 1948. Although 70 years have passed since its adoption, genocide crimes still occur in many parts of the world. The main reasons are double standards prevailing in the world, failure of the international community, especially leading states to timely and adequately react to genocide crimes,” added Hasanov.
Later on, Minister of Culture and Tourism Abulfas Garayev, Director of the Institute of History of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS) Yagub Mahmudov, MP Yevda Abramov, Director of the ANAS Institute of Archeology and Ethnography Maisa Rahimova and other made their speeches at the event.
Prior to the conference, a march was held to commemorate to the centenary of the 1918 Genocide of Azerbaijanis.
Azerbaijani President's Assistant for Public and Political Affairs Ali Hasanov, Chairman of the Caucasian Muslims Office, Sheikh-ul-Islam Haji Allahshukur Pashazade, Minister of Culture and Tourism Abulfaz Garayev, MPs, academicians, religious figures, public figures from Guba and surrounding districts, representatives of various organizations from Baku and other regions joined the march.
- 26.04.2018Int’l conference dedicated to acts of genocide against Turkic-Muslim nations in 20th century kicks off in Azerbaijan
- 26.04.2018Education Ministry: Employment procedures for directors and teachers to be amended in Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2018NGOs adopt statement on 100th anniversary of 1918 Genocide of Azerbaijanis
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijan eyes to impose new penalties for breaking rules on rallies, street marches
- 25.04.2018BHOS concludes 3rd SOCAR International Forum with conference
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijan considers restriction of freedom for several offences
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijan eyes new fines for violating entry and exit rules
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves draft law on employment
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament passes bill on vocational education
- 23.04.2018Jeyhun Bayramov relieved of his duties as Deputy Minister of Education
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani President issues order on allocation of lump-sum financial aid to WW II veterans
- 20.04.2018F1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix: Two hospitals will render medical services to participants, guests
- 20.04.2018Owners of 6 houses damaged in Baku landslide zone receive financial aid
- 20.04.2018Non-smoking area in Baku Metro expanded
- 20.04.2018Baku hosts conference on exposure of Armenian falsifications
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Housing market prices are not suitable for low-income families
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan may prosecute those failing to pay unemployment insurance and compulsory social insurance
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Legal regulation needed for use of social networks
- 19.04.2018Health Ministry: Anemia, kidney and heart diseases widespread among pregnant women in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.201837,618 abortion cases recorded in Azerbaijan in 2017
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan reveals number of maternal deaths registered in 1Q 2018
- 19.04.2018Early marriages reported not only among Azerbaijanis living in Georgia: UNFPA study
- 19.04.2018Kamaladdin Heydarov meets with IAEA chief
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs decree to improve social protection of families of servicemen killed in military ops
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani citizens’ living standards will increase in coming years
- 18.04.2018Dust from Arabian Peninsula to reach Azerbaijan
- 18.04.20184th OIC Conference of Youth and Sports Ministers kicks off in Baku
- 18.04.2018Belarus may deliver Polonaise multiple rocket launch systems to Azerbaijan: Russian paper
- 18.04.2018Traffic to be restricted in Baku for 2018 F1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani SEC: Results of final exams may remain valid for two years
- 16.04.2018Amount of financial assistance for owners of damaged houses in Baku landslide zone determined
- 10.04.2018Strong geomagnetic storm expected in coming days
- 10.04.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan’s Health Ministry announces average life expectancy
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan, India discuss cooperation in education
- 09.04.2018AZN 3mln allocated to Youth Foundation
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijan declares March 27 as ‘Science Day’
- 07.04.2018Temperature to be 20 C in Baku tomorrow
- 07.04.2018Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources: Process of flooding intensified in Baku
- 06.04.2018Requirements concerning specially designated smoking areas specified in Azerbaijan
- 02.04.2018Azerbaijani State Migration Service, State Security Service detain illegal migrants
- 03.04.2018KOICA Azerbaijan Office announces new country director appointment
- 03.04.2018Azerbaijani SEC to hold another mock exam for university admission
- 31.03.2018March held in Guba to mark centenary of 1918 Genocide of Azerbaijanis
- 30.03.2018Ministry: Amount of dust in air reaches norm in Baku
- 30.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament adopts statement on centenary of 1918 March Genocide against Azerbaijanis