Over 3,000 people become victims of mines, UXO in Azerbaijan
More than 3,000 people have been victims of mine and unexploded ordnance (UXO) in Azerbaijan according to rough estimates, Hafiz Safikhanov, chairman of the Public Union “Azerbaijan Anti-Mine Campaign”, told APA on Wednesday.
“Out of them, nearly 500 victims died while the others remained alive,” he said, noting that it is difficult to announce a concrete number of victims of mines and UXO in Azerbaijan.
Safikhanov said that so far, the Public Union has rendered psychological and legal support to victims from eight districts.
“The project on creating economic conditions for mine victims was carried out in Tovuz, Tartar and Fuzuli districts where the number of victims of mines and UXO is higher. Three mine victims who are in a difficult situation were provided with aid in Tovuz, Tartar and Fuzuli district,” he added.
The public union chairman also provided detailed information about the latest report of the International Campaign to Ban Landmines – a Coalition of organizations against cluster munitions.
He noted that the Convention on Cluster Munitions was signed by 119 countries. “Some 102 countries completed the ratification process. Seventy-six countries, including the South Caucasian countries, have not yet joined the Convention.”
The report revealed the use of cluster munitions by Syria’s government forces and the Saudi-led coalition forces in Yemen, Safikhanov added.
According to rough estimates, nearly 56,000 people in 33 countries became the victims of these weapons, he said. “The report says that Azerbaijan is unable to join the convention since part of its territory is occupied by the armed forces another country. No facts of manufacturing, use and export of cluster munitions were recorded in Azerbaijan. According to the report, unexploded M095 DPICM and 9M55K cluster munitions were found in two areas after the April 2016 fights.”
“The peculiarity of the cluster munitions is that they appear as mines after their use," Safikhanov added.
Related news releases
- 14.07.2018Minister: Serious violations in appointment of pensions reveal in Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018Weather forecast for July 15
- 14.07.2018Amendments to Azerbaijan’s migration legislation come into force
- 13.07.2018Number of Azerbaijani population has been announced
- 13.07.2018Sudeif Imamverdiyev awarded Sharaf Order
- 13.07.2018BHOS students to work and do internship at Petkim in Turkey
- 12.07.2018Temperature to drop in Baku
- 12.07.2018Baku Higher Oil School and Ministry of Labor and Social Protection hold joint presentation at BHOS
- 11.07.2018BHOS achieves 100 percent MBA student enrollment
- 10.07.2018Meteorologists warn of hot weather in Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018Scottish newspaper publishes names of BHOS graduates
- 09.07.2018UNEC offers second specialization free for students gaining 700 points
- 07.07.2018Head of Sumgayit water canal department fined for sewage water pumped into Caspian Sea
- 06.07.2018Temperature to drop, north-west wind to intensify in Baku
- 05.07.2018Mehriban Aliyeva: Main goal to produce graduates that meet global labor market needs
- 04.07.2018Temperature to drop by 4-6 degrees in Azerbaijan from July 5
- 04.07.2018Hot weather to stay in Absheron peninsula
- 04.07.2018Lunar eclipse to take place in July – ANAS
- 03.07.2018Meteorologists warn hot weather will continue across Azerbaijan
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani roads affected by series of landslides, new landslide-prone areas emerge in several districts
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani border guards intercept 7 trespassers
- 02.07.2018Azerbaijan to submit report on sustainable development to UN in 2019
- 02.07.2018Deputy PM: Azerbaijan to work towards goal of building a more socially oriented society by 2030
- 02.07.2018Weather temperature to reach 46C in Azerbaijan
- 30.06.2018Int’l competition and nationwide championship of junior rescuers and firefighters end in Gabal
- 30.06.2018Hot weather to prevail in Baku in coming days
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani president promotes two Interior Ministry officers
- 29.06.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov receives citizens in Siyazan
- 29.06.2018July weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan increases state duties for driving license issuance and car registration
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan extends registration period for foreigners
- 29.06.2018Post of chief probation officer created in Azerbaijan
- 28.06.2018Azerbaijan's new Deputy Minister of Education appointed
- 28.06.2018Baku Forum on Sustainable Development to be held in October
- 27.06.2018Azerbaijani president allocates funds for development of Baku’s master plan
- 27.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev approves new composition of Sate Oil Fund Supervisory Board
- 27.06.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Siyazan
- 26.06.2018Weather forecast for June 27
- 25.06.2018Over 70,000 students to take part in final exams in Azerbaijan on June 27
- 23.06.2018Azerbaijani Defense Industry Minister Yavar Jamalov dies
- 27.09.2017Farewell ceremony for world-famous scientist Lotfi Zadeh to take place at ANAS on Sept. 29
- 27.09.2017Giyas Ibrahimov and his father face additional charge
- 28.09.2017Level of geomagnetic storms rises
- 26.09.2017Meteorologists warn of sudden weather deterioration in Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017No demolition work planned in Sovetski until next year – deputy PM
- 26.09.2017Deputy PM: I’m not supposed to penalize Akif Ali