Over 3,000 people become victims of mines, UXO in Azerbaijan
More than 3,000 people have been victims of mine and unexploded ordnance (UXO) in Azerbaijan according to rough estimates, Hafiz Safikhanov, chairman of the Public Union “Azerbaijan Anti-Mine Campaign”, told APA on Wednesday.
“Out of them, nearly 500 victims died while the others remained alive,” he said, noting that it is difficult to announce a concrete number of victims of mines and UXO in Azerbaijan.
Safikhanov said that so far, the Public Union has rendered psychological and legal support to victims from eight districts.
“The project on creating economic conditions for mine victims was carried out in Tovuz, Tartar and Fuzuli districts where the number of victims of mines and UXO is higher. Three mine victims who are in a difficult situation were provided with aid in Tovuz, Tartar and Fuzuli district,” he added.
The public union chairman also provided detailed information about the latest report of the International Campaign to Ban Landmines – a Coalition of organizations against cluster munitions.
He noted that the Convention on Cluster Munitions was signed by 119 countries. “Some 102 countries completed the ratification process. Seventy-six countries, including the South Caucasian countries, have not yet joined the Convention.”
The report revealed the use of cluster munitions by Syria’s government forces and the Saudi-led coalition forces in Yemen, Safikhanov added.
According to rough estimates, nearly 56,000 people in 33 countries became the victims of these weapons, he said. “The report says that Azerbaijan is unable to join the convention since part of its territory is occupied by the armed forces another country. No facts of manufacturing, use and export of cluster munitions were recorded in Azerbaijan. According to the report, unexploded M095 DPICM and 9M55K cluster munitions were found in two areas after the April 2016 fights.”
“The peculiarity of the cluster munitions is that they appear as mines after their use," Safikhanov added.
Related news releases
- 23.10.2017Strong geomagnetic storm expected to begin tomorrow
- 23.10.2017Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Shabran
- 21.10.2017Gabala hosts int’l scientific conference entitled ‘Archeology of Gabala’
- 21.10.2017Baku awaits rainless weather on Sunday
- 20.10.2017Applicants to take entrance exams in two groups this academic year in Azerbaijan
- 20.10.2017Ambassador Cekuta: About 7,000 Azerbaijanis received education in U.S. over 25-year period of diplomatic relations
- 20.10.2017In Azerbaijan, final exams to be held once, but entrance exams more than once under new model
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament excludes 3 issues from agenda
- 20.10.2017AZN 50.5 mln allocated for IDPs who don’t have access to gas supply
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani SEC: In 2019 maximum point in university entrance exams will be 400
- 20.10.2017Education expenditure in Azerbaijan’s draft state budget 2018 exceeds AZN 2 bln
- 20.10.2017Teachers’ diagnostic assessment in Azerbaijan to end next year
- 20.10.2017AZN 5M to be allocated to mark 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 20.10.2017People’s Artist Rafig Huseynov to be taken to Germany for treatment
- 19.10.201770 people brought to responsibility in Baku for auto-hooliganism
- 19.10.2017U.S., Azerbaijan improve water supply, livestock management for residents of Zardab and Aghjabadi
- 18.10.2017Spectators to be provided with buses following Qarabag-Atletico Madrid football match
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan registers 390 HIV-positive people in 2017
- 18.10.2017Documentary “Objective Baku: How Hitler Lost the Battle for Oil” screened in London
- 18.10.2017Increase in male victims of human trafficking, IOM says
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan considers amendment to Criminal Code regarding postponement of sentence for some prisoners
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan defines upper and lowers limits of new penalty for juvenile delinquency
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan’s trade representatives abroad to be paid in amount of 90 percent of ambassador’s salary
- 16.10.2017Interior Minister: Situation with sexual minorities in Azerbaijan no different from that in most European states
- 16.10.2017ANAS proposes businesses undertake to finance development of science in country
- 13.10.2017"IMAGINE" Euro Tolerance Festival 2017 kicks off in Baku
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijan set to abrogate imprisonment for illegal trafficking of medications
- 13.10.2017ANAS says statement by Institute of History on map crisis does not reflect its position
- 13.10.2017U.S., Azerbaijan improve irrigation in Saatli
- 13.10.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 13.10.20174-year-old Azerbaijani child rescued from ISIL in Iraq brought home
- 12.10.2017ANAS Institute of History issues statement on map crisis
- 12.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards railway workers
- 11.10.2017New generation vaccine developed against malaria: Azerbaijani scientist
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijan develops life expectancy map
- 10.10.2017Premarital examination: 240 diagnosed with thalassemia, 7 with AIDS in Azerbaijan
- 10.10.2017Strong magnetic storm to hit Earth
- 09.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Sometimes there are delays in execution of actions relating to Strategic Road Maps
- 09.10.2017Historian: ‘Greater Armenia’ map in history textbook may have been published for insidious purpose
- 09.10.2017Azerbaijan conducts serious fight against corruption, cybercrime: Deputy Prosecutor General
- 27.09.2017Farewell ceremony for world-famous scientist Lotfi Zadeh to take place at ANAS on Sept. 29
- 27.09.2017Giyas Ibrahimov and his father face additional charge
- 28.09.2017Level of geomagnetic storms rises
- 26.09.2017Meteorologists warn of sudden weather deterioration in Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017No demolition work planned in Sovetski until next year – deputy PM
- 26.09.2017Deputy PM: I’m not supposed to penalize Akif Ali