NTRC: Broadcasting of foreign TV channels in Azerbaijan to be brought in line with standards
The approval of the law on cable network broadcasting discussed at the Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary meeting on May 16 will improve activities in the area of cable network, Chairman of the country’s National Television and Radio Council (NTRC) Nushiravan Maharramli told APA.
He noted that the new law will regulate relations between subscribers and broadcasters and that security of the national market as to Azerbaijan’s cable network will be a priority.
Maharramli noted that only local ads are shown in foreign TV channels broadcast through the cable network in countries such as Turkey, Russia, Kazakhstan, etc.
“This has not been the case with Azerbaijan so far. However, the new draft law puts forward such a requirement. I think it’s very important because we’re deeply concerned by the current situation in respect of Azerbaijan’s ad market. If approved, this amendment will be a huge contribution for both the ad market and TV and radio broadcasters,” he said.
The NTRC chairman stressed that the broadcasting of foreign TV channels in Azerbaijan will be brought in line with standards.
Maharramli noted that foreign news channels are broadcast in Russia and Turkey only after registration and this field should be systematized in Azerbaijan. According to him, the new law will regulate all this.
“There are reasons that make it necessary to pass the law on cable network broadcasting. Cable network broadcasting is a type of television and radio broadcasting, and it was launched in the 90s. But, it was poorly developing. There was only one article in the law on TV and radio broadcasting regarding cable network. The law on cable network broadcasting had to be developed as a requirement of the legislation. No law was adopted at that time as cable network was not developing. The field was regulated by the National Television and Radio Council,” he said.
The NTRC chairman went on to say that at present there are 17 cable television broadcasters in Azerbaijan. “They broadcast not only in Baku, but also in Ganja, Mingachevir and Sumgayit. In addition, the number of channels included in the package has increased,” he said.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2018NGOs adopt statement on 100th anniversary of 1918 Genocide of Azerbaijanis
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijan eyes to impose new penalties for breaking rules on rallies, street marches
- 25.04.2018BHOS concludes 3rd SOCAR International Forum with conference
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijan considers restriction of freedom for several offences
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijan eyes new fines for violating entry and exit rules
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves draft law on employment
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament passes bill on vocational education
- 23.04.2018Jeyhun Bayramov relieved of his duties as Deputy Minister of Education
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani President issues order on allocation of lump-sum financial aid to WW II veterans
- 20.04.2018F1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix: Two hospitals will render medical services to participants, guests
- 20.04.2018Owners of 6 houses damaged in Baku landslide zone receive financial aid
- 20.04.2018Non-smoking area in Baku Metro expanded
- 20.04.2018Baku hosts conference on exposure of Armenian falsifications
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Housing market prices are not suitable for low-income families
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan may prosecute those failing to pay unemployment insurance and compulsory social insurance
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Legal regulation needed for use of social networks
- 19.04.2018Health Ministry: Anemia, kidney and heart diseases widespread among pregnant women in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.201837,618 abortion cases recorded in Azerbaijan in 2017
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan reveals number of maternal deaths registered in 1Q 2018
- 19.04.2018Early marriages reported not only among Azerbaijanis living in Georgia: UNFPA study
- 19.04.2018Kamaladdin Heydarov meets with IAEA chief
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs decree to improve social protection of families of servicemen killed in military ops
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani citizens’ living standards will increase in coming years
- 18.04.2018Dust from Arabian Peninsula to reach Azerbaijan
- 18.04.20184th OIC Conference of Youth and Sports Ministers kicks off in Baku
- 18.04.2018Belarus may deliver Polonaise multiple rocket launch systems to Azerbaijan: Russian paper
- 18.04.2018Traffic to be restricted in Baku for 2018 F1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani SEC: Results of final exams may remain valid for two years
- 16.04.2018Amount of financial assistance for owners of damaged houses in Baku landslide zone determined
- 10.04.2018Strong geomagnetic storm expected in coming days
- 10.04.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan’s Health Ministry announces average life expectancy
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan, India discuss cooperation in education
- 09.04.2018AZN 3mln allocated to Youth Foundation
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijan declares March 27 as ‘Science Day’
- 07.04.2018Temperature to be 20 C in Baku tomorrow
- 07.04.2018Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources: Process of flooding intensified in Baku
- 06.04.2018Requirements concerning specially designated smoking areas specified in Azerbaijan
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan defining rules for organizing social workplaces
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan defining cases of involvement in forced labor
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani president confers honorary titles on persons who died of wounds sustained during 20 January events
- 16.05.2017American Jewish community plans to invest in construction of Jewish school in Azerbaijan
- 17.05.2017Citizens of 12 more countries to use Azerbaijan’s ASAN Visa system
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan approves list of licensed services and work in field of private medicine
- 15.05.2017Presentation of ‘Asiada-2017’ held in Baku
- 15.05.2017Lawyer asks court to acquit Azerbaijan’s ex-health minister