NTRC: Broadcasting of foreign TV channels in Azerbaijan to be brought in line with standards
The approval of the law on cable network broadcasting discussed at the Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary meeting on May 16 will improve activities in the area of cable network, Chairman of the country’s National Television and Radio Council (NTRC) Nushiravan Maharramli told APA.
He noted that the new law will regulate relations between subscribers and broadcasters and that security of the national market as to Azerbaijan’s cable network will be a priority.
Maharramli noted that only local ads are shown in foreign TV channels broadcast through the cable network in countries such as Turkey, Russia, Kazakhstan, etc.
“This has not been the case with Azerbaijan so far. However, the new draft law puts forward such a requirement. I think it’s very important because we’re deeply concerned by the current situation in respect of Azerbaijan’s ad market. If approved, this amendment will be a huge contribution for both the ad market and TV and radio broadcasters,” he said.
The NTRC chairman stressed that the broadcasting of foreign TV channels in Azerbaijan will be brought in line with standards.
Maharramli noted that foreign news channels are broadcast in Russia and Turkey only after registration and this field should be systematized in Azerbaijan. According to him, the new law will regulate all this.
“There are reasons that make it necessary to pass the law on cable network broadcasting. Cable network broadcasting is a type of television and radio broadcasting, and it was launched in the 90s. But, it was poorly developing. There was only one article in the law on TV and radio broadcasting regarding cable network. The law on cable network broadcasting had to be developed as a requirement of the legislation. No law was adopted at that time as cable network was not developing. The field was regulated by the National Television and Radio Council,” he said.
The NTRC chairman went on to say that at present there are 17 cable television broadcasters in Azerbaijan. “They broadcast not only in Baku, but also in Ganja, Mingachevir and Sumgayit. In addition, the number of channels included in the package has increased,” he said.
Related news releases
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani president awards Avaz Alakbarov
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Nearly 80 percent of Azerbaijani population is internet users
- 20.07.2017Alexander Lapshin sentenced to 3 years in prison
- 19.07.2017Article by TEAS director published on website of “Peace and Sport” organization
- 19.07.2017Delegation of Pakistan’s National Disaster Management Authority arrives in Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2017Prosecutor seeks 4.5 years behind bars for APFP chairman’s assistant
- 19.07.2017UN report: 443,000 teens give birth in Eastern Europe and Central Asia every year
- 19.07.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 18.07.2017Opening of new TV channel proposed in Azerbaijan
- 18.07.2017ANAMA: 300ha area cleared of mine, UXOs in Jojug Marjanli
- 17.07.2017Kamran Aliyev: In Azerbaijan more bribes offered than taken
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan concludes investigation into 19 criminal cases on banking sector
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan completes investigation into criminal cases of 133 officials charged with corruption
- 15.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views conditions created in new park in Yasamal
- 15.07.2017Azerbaijani President warns officials, businessmen against cutting down trees
- 15.07.2017Int’l dolma festival held in Azerbaijan’s Khachmaz
- 15.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views newly built park in Yasamal district
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijani Health Ministry: 12,036 people wishing to marry diagnosed with thalassemia
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijani Education Ministry: Application for transfer of students to begin on July 17
- 14.07.2017Vugar Safarli: Names of journalists to be given apartments will be announced on July 21
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijan SEC to hold entrance exams on II and III specialty groups
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on education
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan bans advertising of abortion and artificial fermentation
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani President: Some public servants misbehave and make blatant mistakes
- 12.07.2017Judicial investigation into Alexander Lapshin’s case concludes
- 12.07.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan appoints new chairpersons to several courts of appeal
- 11.07.2017New chairpersons appointed to civil, military collegiums of Azerbaijani Supreme Court
- 11.07.2017APA photographers among best of Baku 2017
- 11.07.2017Lapshin’s trial postponed
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor’s Office receives submission on initiation of criminal case against former national security minister
- 10.07.2017Former MNS official stripped of his rank of colonel, jailed for 12 years
- 10.07.2017SEC announces date of new test exams for civil service recruitment
- 10.07.2017SEC: 11-grade final exam results roughly same as last year’s
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani SEC: Cases of abuse reported in fixed-term employment
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani SEC makes changes in test exams for civil service recruitment
- 08.07.2017Health Ministry: 275 newborns screened in Azerbaijan over last four months
- 07.07.2017Deputy minister: Universities granted statuses of public legal entity still remain state higher education institutions
- 06.07.2017Azerbaijani court upholds motion filed by Lapshin’s lawyer
- 06.07.2017Two hospitals available in Azerbaijan for possible Crimean-Congo fever cases
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani president confers honorary titles on persons who died of wounds sustained during 20 January events
- 16.05.2017American Jewish community plans to invest in construction of Jewish school in Azerbaijan
- 17.05.2017Citizens of 12 more countries to use Azerbaijan’s ASAN Visa system
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan approves list of licensed services and work in field of private medicine
- 15.05.2017Presentation of ‘Asiada-2017’ held in Baku
- 15.05.2017Lawyer asks court to acquit Azerbaijan’s ex-health minister