NTRC: Broadcasting of foreign TV channels in Azerbaijan to be brought in line with standards
The approval of the law on cable network broadcasting discussed at the Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary meeting on May 16 will improve activities in the area of cable network, Chairman of the country’s National Television and Radio Council (NTRC) Nushiravan Maharramli told APA.
He noted that the new law will regulate relations between subscribers and broadcasters and that security of the national market as to Azerbaijan’s cable network will be a priority.
Maharramli noted that only local ads are shown in foreign TV channels broadcast through the cable network in countries such as Turkey, Russia, Kazakhstan, etc.
“This has not been the case with Azerbaijan so far. However, the new draft law puts forward such a requirement. I think it’s very important because we’re deeply concerned by the current situation in respect of Azerbaijan’s ad market. If approved, this amendment will be a huge contribution for both the ad market and TV and radio broadcasters,” he said.
The NTRC chairman stressed that the broadcasting of foreign TV channels in Azerbaijan will be brought in line with standards.
Maharramli noted that foreign news channels are broadcast in Russia and Turkey only after registration and this field should be systematized in Azerbaijan. According to him, the new law will regulate all this.
“There are reasons that make it necessary to pass the law on cable network broadcasting. Cable network broadcasting is a type of television and radio broadcasting, and it was launched in the 90s. But, it was poorly developing. There was only one article in the law on TV and radio broadcasting regarding cable network. The law on cable network broadcasting had to be developed as a requirement of the legislation. No law was adopted at that time as cable network was not developing. The field was regulated by the National Television and Radio Council,” he said.
The NTRC chairman went on to say that at present there are 17 cable television broadcasters in Azerbaijan. “They broadcast not only in Baku, but also in Ganja, Mingachevir and Sumgayit. In addition, the number of channels included in the package has increased,” he said.
Related news releases
- 27.05.2017Ancient necropolis unearthed in Azerbaijan’s Shamakhy
- 26.05.2017Moon to come closest to Earth today
- 26.05.2017Azerbaijan to sack teachers with poor indicators of diagnostic assessment
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijan SEC announces dates of final and entrance exams
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijani State Commission addresses population over graves believed to be of missing persons
- 25.05.2017ANAS, Emergencies Ministry discuss issues of cooperation
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijani president approves Regulation on 'Subsidized housing' system
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijani SMS: Rules for employment of foreigners are sometimes violated
- 24.05.2017Number of foreigners coming to Azerbaijan on the rise
- 24.05.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Beylagan
- 24.05.2017Ali Abbasov receives new appointment
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijan, Romania to conduct examination in field of education
- 24.05.2017First Azerbaijan-Romania Inter-University Forum kicks off in Baku
- 23.05.2017Tariff Council specifies prices of paid services related to civil service
- 23.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan to see increase in tourist arrivals after Baku 2017
- 23.05.2017Traffic restriction on special lanes lifted in Baku
- 23.05.2017Registration for second participation in Azerbaijan university entrance exams over
- 22.05.2017Ibrahim Guliyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 22.05.2017Traffic ban on Baku 2017 ‘special lanes’ to be lifted on May 23
- 22.05.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Beylagan on May 24
- 22.05.2017Baku to host Azerbaijan-Romania Inter-University Forum
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijani emergencies ministry denies reports of staff reductions
- 20.05.2017French-Azerbaijani University announces admission of students
- 20.05.2017Illegal passenger transportation by buses prevented in Baku-Sumgayit highway
- 19.05.2017WHO: Azerbaijan had lowest suicide rate in Europe in 2015
- 19.05.2017Students in some Azerbaijani universities changed electronic exam grades
- 19.05.2017Health Ministry: 108 people diagnosed with HIV in Azerbaijan in 1Q 2017
- 18.05.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov meets ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijani Education Ministry to terminate employment contracts with teachers recruited without competition
- 17.05.2017Int’l seminar on human trafficking awareness kicks off in Vienna
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan launches campaign to aid Syrian children
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan’s population exceeds 9.8 million
- 17.05.2017More than 1.2 million adolescents die every year
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijan’s ASAN Visa offers service for registration of group visas
- 12.05.2017Rich history of Azerbaijani equestrianism returns to Windsor
- 12.05.2017Azerbaijan to change conditions for labor contract terms
- 11.05.2017Nardaran resident Natig Karimov gets 7-year conditional sentence
- 11.05.2017About 900 drivers fined over moving on Islamic Solidarity Games ‘special lanes’
- 11.05.2017In some cases Azerbaijani citizens to be able to travel abroad using national ID only
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijan continues diagnostic assessment of teachers
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani president confers honorary titles on persons who died of wounds sustained during 20 January events
- 16.05.2017American Jewish community plans to invest in construction of Jewish school in Azerbaijan
- 17.05.2017Citizens of 12 more countries to use Azerbaijan’s ASAN Visa system
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan approves list of licensed services and work in field of private medicine
- 15.05.2017Presentation of ‘Asiada-2017’ held in Baku
- 15.05.2017Lawyer asks court to acquit Azerbaijan’s ex-health minister