NTRC: Broadcasting of foreign TV channels in Azerbaijan to be brought in line with standards
The approval of the law on cable network broadcasting discussed at the Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary meeting on May 16 will improve activities in the area of cable network, Chairman of the country’s National Television and Radio Council (NTRC) Nushiravan Maharramli told APA.
He noted that the new law will regulate relations between subscribers and broadcasters and that security of the national market as to Azerbaijan’s cable network will be a priority.
Maharramli noted that only local ads are shown in foreign TV channels broadcast through the cable network in countries such as Turkey, Russia, Kazakhstan, etc.
“This has not been the case with Azerbaijan so far. However, the new draft law puts forward such a requirement. I think it’s very important because we’re deeply concerned by the current situation in respect of Azerbaijan’s ad market. If approved, this amendment will be a huge contribution for both the ad market and TV and radio broadcasters,” he said.
The NTRC chairman stressed that the broadcasting of foreign TV channels in Azerbaijan will be brought in line with standards.
Maharramli noted that foreign news channels are broadcast in Russia and Turkey only after registration and this field should be systematized in Azerbaijan. According to him, the new law will regulate all this.
“There are reasons that make it necessary to pass the law on cable network broadcasting. Cable network broadcasting is a type of television and radio broadcasting, and it was launched in the 90s. But, it was poorly developing. There was only one article in the law on TV and radio broadcasting regarding cable network. The law on cable network broadcasting had to be developed as a requirement of the legislation. No law was adopted at that time as cable network was not developing. The field was regulated by the National Television and Radio Council,” he said.
The NTRC chairman went on to say that at present there are 17 cable television broadcasters in Azerbaijan. “They broadcast not only in Baku, but also in Ganja, Mingachevir and Sumgayit. In addition, the number of channels included in the package has increased,” he said.
Related news releases
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan stiffening penalties against violation of rules restricting tobacco use
- 24.11.2017Kamaladdin Heydarov receives citizens in Zardab
- 24.11.2017About 2.6 million children live in Azerbaijan
- 24.11.20173 million robotic surgeries carried out throughout world in 2016
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan’s Seismic Survey Center releases info on consequences of 6-magnnitude quake in Aghdam
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan appeals to int’l organizations to return body of its soldier
- 23.11.2017Upper level of need criteria set at AZN 116
- 23.11.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 22.11.2017Number of Armenians living in Azerbaijan revealed
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani Parl’t deputy speaker stresses need for reforms in law enforcement, security and judicial bodies
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani MP calls for more spending on healthcare
- 22.11.2017MP proposes creating business incubators in Azerbaijan’s educational institutions
- 22.11.2017Baku hosts int’l conference on promoting tolerance among youth
- 22.11.2017Leyla Aliyeva meets with UNICEF regional director
- 22.11.201720 judges, including 7 chairmen of courts dismissed in Azerbaijan this year
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani state should provide serious support for treatment of autistic children – MP
- 21.11.2017Dust quantity in Baku and Absheron Peninsula exceeds sanitary norm
- 20.11.2017World conflicts hinder mankind from achieving SDGs – UNICEF
- 20.11.2017UNICEF: Level of children’s education in Azerbaijan exceeds 95 percent
- 20.11.2017Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Zardab district
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijan to have five-day holiday for New Year
- 18.11.2017Fatal traffic accident kills 1 police, injures another in Azerbaijan
- 18.11.2017Changeable cloudy weather to prevail in Baku
- 18.11.2017Landslide activity observed in Baku’s Zigh settlement
- 17.11.2017Another quake hits Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017Private and municipal vocational education institutions to be established in Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017ANAS: Land plots, scientific facilities seized over last 5 years returned
- 16.11.2017Kamaladdin Heydarov meets Moldovan interior minister
- 16.11.2017U.S. ambassador to Azerbaijan visits ABAD trade & exhibition center
- 16.11.2017APA celebrates 13th anniversary - PHOTOSESSION
- 16.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan known in world as sporting nation
- 16.11.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates newly-built school in Masazir
- 16.11.2017ANAS: Yesterday’s quake in Azerbaijan had nothing to do with recent quake in Iran
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan establishes organizing committee for Baku BMX World Championships 2018
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan to mark 110th jubilee of academician Ashraf Huseynov
- 15.11.2017U.S. ambassador visits Salyan American Corner
- 15.11.2017Deloitte Azerbaijan introduces new publication - ®
- 15.11.2017Compulsory health insurance can be applied throughout Azerbaijan in 2018 – deputy minister
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan developing state program to repatriate its citizens in Iraq, Syria
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani president confers honorary titles on persons who died of wounds sustained during 20 January events
- 16.05.2017American Jewish community plans to invest in construction of Jewish school in Azerbaijan
- 17.05.2017Citizens of 12 more countries to use Azerbaijan’s ASAN Visa system
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan approves list of licensed services and work in field of private medicine
- 15.05.2017Presentation of ‘Asiada-2017’ held in Baku
- 15.05.2017Lawyer asks court to acquit Azerbaijan’s ex-health minister