NTRC: Broadcasting of foreign TV channels in Azerbaijan to be brought in line with standards
The approval of the law on cable network broadcasting discussed at the Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary meeting on May 16 will improve activities in the area of cable network, Chairman of the country’s National Television and Radio Council (NTRC) Nushiravan Maharramli told APA.
He noted that the new law will regulate relations between subscribers and broadcasters and that security of the national market as to Azerbaijan’s cable network will be a priority.
Maharramli noted that only local ads are shown in foreign TV channels broadcast through the cable network in countries such as Turkey, Russia, Kazakhstan, etc.
“This has not been the case with Azerbaijan so far. However, the new draft law puts forward such a requirement. I think it’s very important because we’re deeply concerned by the current situation in respect of Azerbaijan’s ad market. If approved, this amendment will be a huge contribution for both the ad market and TV and radio broadcasters,” he said.
The NTRC chairman stressed that the broadcasting of foreign TV channels in Azerbaijan will be brought in line with standards.
Maharramli noted that foreign news channels are broadcast in Russia and Turkey only after registration and this field should be systematized in Azerbaijan. According to him, the new law will regulate all this.
“There are reasons that make it necessary to pass the law on cable network broadcasting. Cable network broadcasting is a type of television and radio broadcasting, and it was launched in the 90s. But, it was poorly developing. There was only one article in the law on TV and radio broadcasting regarding cable network. The law on cable network broadcasting had to be developed as a requirement of the legislation. No law was adopted at that time as cable network was not developing. The field was regulated by the National Television and Radio Council,” he said.
The NTRC chairman went on to say that at present there are 17 cable television broadcasters in Azerbaijan. “They broadcast not only in Baku, but also in Ganja, Mingachevir and Sumgayit. In addition, the number of channels included in the package has increased,” he said.
Related news releases
- 20.02.2018Presidential pension for Azerbaijan’s national heroes increases
- 20.02.2018Ilham Aliyev orders increasing presidential pension for Great Patriotic War veterans
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani president appoints members of Civil Service Management Board
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani court commences hearing on Afgan Mukhtarli’s appeal
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan starts relocating IDP families to new settlement in Tartar
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan specifies what medications caused severe poisoning
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan imports most medicines from Europe – Health Ministry
- 20.02.2018Guba-Khinalig road reopened after avalanche
- 19.02.2018Pension for 20 January disabled increased by 10%
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani president increases monthly pension for citizens disabled in war
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss bill on state fingerprinting and genome registration
- 17.02.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Sunday
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan detains 26 foreigners in anti-migration op
- 16.02.2018Italian architects prepared project for Yanardagh complex construction – envoy
- 16.02.2018Baku to host Italian Design Day
- 16.02.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Saturday
- 16.02.2018Georgian education minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2018ASAN and ABAD very good Azerbaijani brands: EU envoy
- 16.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers: Families relocated from Bayil landslide area to be given rental money
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan discloses non-working days in March 2018
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani State Commission: 3,875 persons listed as missing
- 15.02.2018State Border Service detains 45 trespassers in January
- 15.02.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan prohibits holding positions of department head and dean at the same time at university
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani SEC announces interview for 165 vacant positions in 6 state bodies
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijani president signs order on additional measures for improvement of social protection of population
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijani teachers issue statement on upcoming presidential election
- 13.02.2018Number of people with disabilities in Azerbaijan announced
- 13.02.2018U.S. helps young IDPs build career skills
- 13.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers specifies date of final decision with regard to landslide area in Bayil
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani State Migration Service detains 11 foreigners
- 12.02.2018Guba Genocide Memorial Complex under reconstruction
- 12.02.2018Plan of events on 26th anniversary of Khojaly genocide approved
- 10.02.2018Four houses destoryed after landslide hits Bayil, no casualities reported
- 10.02.2018190 years pass since signing of Turkmenchay treaty
- 09.02.2018Health Ministry official proposes to allow organ trade in Azerbaijan
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijani SEC reveals results of admission examination to Collegium of Advocates
- 08.02.2018Tbilisi court sentences Azerbaijani doctor to 6 years in prison
- 08.02.2018Presentation of Expo 2025 Baku held at UN Headquarters
- 07.02.2018Azerbaijan sees increase in number of donors, amounts of donated blood
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani president confers honorary titles on persons who died of wounds sustained during 20 January events
- 16.05.2017American Jewish community plans to invest in construction of Jewish school in Azerbaijan
- 17.05.2017Citizens of 12 more countries to use Azerbaijan’s ASAN Visa system
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan approves list of licensed services and work in field of private medicine
- 15.05.2017Presentation of ‘Asiada-2017’ held in Baku
- 15.05.2017Lawyer asks court to acquit Azerbaijan’s ex-health minister