New generation vaccine developed against malaria: Azerbaijani scientist
A new generation vaccine has been developed against malaria after being successfully synthesized in plants, said Tarlan Mammadov, a corresponding member of the Azerbaijani National Academy of Sciences (ANAS), professor of Turkey’s Akdeniz University.
He made the remarks while delivering a scientific lecture on new molecular biotechnology that provides synthesis of highly stable and functionally active vaccines, therapeutic proteins and industrial enzymes on plant leaves at a meeting of the ANAS Presidium on Wednesday, APA reported.
The scientist said that currently the production of recombinant proteins of medical and industrial importance is carried out through several expression systems - via bacteria, yeasts, insects, mammals.
Mammadov noted that in recent years, plant expression systems are frequently used in production as they are promising in terms of economy and security.
"In some cases, when the system does not fit into the production of such proteins, there would arise a need for new molecular biotechnology to eliminate the problem. For this purpose, a more effective technology has been developed. Using this new technology, a new generation high-quality vaccine has been discovered and successfully synthesized with plants against malaria for the first time. This technology also offers a wide range of opportunities for a synthesis of various recombinant and therapeutic proteins, vaccines, natural food supplements, and industrial enzymes," he added.
The professor said the production of recombinant proteins would be of great economic benefits to the country.
Related news releases
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan considers amendment to Criminal Code regarding postponement of sentence for some prisoners
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan defines upper and lowers limits of new penalty for juvenile delinquency
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan’s trade representatives abroad to be paid in amount of 90 percent of ambassador’s salary
- 16.10.2017Interior Minister: Situation with sexual minorities in Azerbaijan no different from that in most European states
- 16.10.2017ANAS proposes businesses undertake to finance development of science in country
- 13.10.2017"IMAGINE" Euro Tolerance Festival 2017 kicks off in Baku
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijan set to abrogate imprisonment for illegal trafficking of medications
- 13.10.2017ANAS says statement by Institute of History on map crisis does not reflect its position
- 13.10.2017U.S., Azerbaijan improve irrigation in Saatli
- 13.10.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 09.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Sometimes there are delays in execution of actions relating to Strategic Road Maps
- 09.10.2017Historian: ‘Greater Armenia’ map in history textbook may have been published for insidious purpose
- 09.10.2017Azerbaijan conducts serious fight against corruption, cybercrime: Deputy Prosecutor General
- 06.10.2017Project ‘Italian language week’ presented in Baku
- 06.10.2017Ambassador: From among EU countries, Italy is where most Azerbaijani students choose to pursue their study
- 06.10.2017Some Ashura blood donators found to be infected with HIV, Hepatitis, Syphilis: Health Ministry
- 06.10.2017Nobel Peace Prize 2017 awarded to International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons
- 06.10.2017Azerbaijani Press Council recommends fines for violation of literary language norms
- 06.10.2017Azerbaijan’s NTRC reveals main problems with using literary language on television and radio
- 06.10.201711th International Education Exhibition opens in Baku
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijani First Vice-President attended ceremony to give out new apartments to IDP families in Masazir
- 05.10.2017First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva visits new building for IDP families
- 05.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for school construction in Lahij
- 04.10.2017Minister Kamaleddin Heydarov meets with CEO of Italian Leonardo company
- 04.10.2017Men also among victims of domestic violence in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 04.10.2017Euronews presents report about Azerbaijan's Lahij city - VIDEO
- 03.10.2017Int’l experience shows risk of sexually transmitted diseases is higher, sociologist says
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijan’s ex-health minister appeals to Supreme Court chairman
- 03.10.2017Kamal Abdullayev granted Azerbaijani president’s personal stipend
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani State Committee against children’s involuntary involvement in religious ceremonies
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani, Uzbek emergency situations ministries sign action plan on cooperation
- 03.10.2017U.S. builds new school for IDP community from Lachin region’s Chiragli village
- 02.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev viewed Safari Park Shamakhi
- 02.10.2017No cases of harm to minors at religious ceremonies in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 02.10.201728% of Azerbaijani women believe men have the right to beat their wives
- 02.10.2017AIDS, HIV and other diseases detected in 32 people detained in Baku
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijan presents report at Asian Conference on Disaster Reduction
- 02.10.2017UNICEF: 4-month paid maternity leave in Azerbaijan 'insufficient'
- 02.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Shamakhi district for visit
- 02.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates newly built kindergarten in Gobustan district
- 12.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards railway workers
- 12.10.2017ANAS Institute of History issues statement on map crisis
- 13.10.20174-year-old Azerbaijani child rescued from ISIL in Iraq brought home
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijan develops life expectancy map
- 10.10.2017Premarital examination: 240 diagnosed with thalassemia, 7 with AIDS in Azerbaijan
- 10.10.2017Strong magnetic storm to hit Earth