Azerbaijani MP proposes to establish universities named after Heydar Aliyev, Mammad Amin Rasulzade and Elchibey
Azerbaijani MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev has proposed to establish universities named after Heydar Aliyev, Mammad Amin Rasulzade and Elchibey in the country.
During the discussion of the draft law on making amendments to the law on Azerbaijan’s state budget for 2017 at the parliament on Friday, Hasanguliyev noted that the next year will mark the 95th anniversary of Heydar Aliyev’s birth, the 135th anniversary of Mammad Amin Rasulzade’s birth and the 80th anniversary of Abulfaz Elchibey’s birth.
According to the parliamentarian, the number of universities in Azerbaijan is 2.5 times less than in other countries.
“Besides, our country lags behind other countries for the number of students and scientists. Therefore, I think that new universities should be established along with increasing the quality of education. I propose new universities to be opened named after these three personalities,” he said.
Hasanguliyev went on to say. “In time, Heydar Aliyev attended the funeral of Abulfaz Elchibey to show respect to his memory. Besides, Elchibey invited Heydar Aliyev from Nakhchivan to Baku during the hard times of the country. So, it would be good if this proposal is realized.
MP Siyavush Novruzov said that it would be wrong to compare Heydar Aliyev with other people.
"As for the externalization of names, there should be a different approach. The ruling New Azerbaijan Party highly appraises the service of everyone and favors perpetuating their names. However, unlike my colleague Gudrat Hasanguliyev said, it is not right to compare the Great Leader with others because it’s the people of Azerbaijan who brought the Great Leader back to power,” he said.
Novruzov stressed that the great leader came and saved Azerbaijan while chaos and separatism was raging across the country and the independence of the country was under threat.
“When the great leader came to power, he saved not only Azerbaijan, but also those in power and the ones who are now in opposition. Everyone knows that Surat Huseynov’s vow about setting up gallows in the Azadliq Square to hang certain people. Thus, the National Leader also saved the ones in opposition. That's why the name of the Great Leader must be eternalized and there must be schools and universities named after him,” he added.
Related news releases
- 25.07.2017Man detained for illegally cutting down trees
- 25.07.2017Criminal case opened against Olympic champion who caused fatal accident in Baku
- 25.07.20172,350 Azerbaijani citizens serving sentences in Russian prisons
- 24.07.2017University entry examination results on 1st and 4th specialty groups announced
- 24.07.2017Mashallah Ahmadov’s sentence reduced from 8 to 2 years
- 24.07.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues
- 24.07.2017Court announces verdict against Faiq Amirli
- 24.07.2017Applicants evacuated from university building due to fire to retake exam on July 27
- 22.07.2017Those who were taking exam at university at the time of fire will retake exam
- 21.07.2017President: Investments to be made in pharmaceutical factories amount to $100 million
- 21.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Drinking water supply projects successfully implemented in Azerbaijan
- 21.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views plans of work to be done in center of Pirallahi
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani president awards Avaz Alakbarov
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Nearly 80 percent of Azerbaijani population is internet users
- 20.07.2017Alexander Lapshin sentenced to 3 years in prison
- 19.07.2017Article by TEAS director published on website of “Peace and Sport” organization
- 19.07.2017Delegation of Pakistan’s National Disaster Management Authority arrives in Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2017Prosecutor seeks 4.5 years behind bars for APFP chairman’s assistant
- 19.07.2017UN report: 443,000 teens give birth in Eastern Europe and Central Asia every year
- 19.07.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 18.07.2017Opening of new TV channel proposed in Azerbaijan
- 18.07.2017ANAMA: 300ha area cleared of mine, UXOs in Jojug Marjanli
- 17.07.2017Kamran Aliyev: In Azerbaijan more bribes offered than taken
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan concludes investigation into 19 criminal cases on banking sector
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan completes investigation into criminal cases of 133 officials charged with corruption
- 15.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views conditions created in new park in Yasamal
- 15.07.2017Azerbaijani President warns officials, businessmen against cutting down trees
- 15.07.2017Int’l dolma festival held in Azerbaijan’s Khachmaz
- 15.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views newly built park in Yasamal district
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijani Health Ministry: 12,036 people wishing to marry diagnosed with thalassemia
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijani Education Ministry: Application for transfer of students to begin on July 17
- 14.07.2017Vugar Safarli: Names of journalists to be given apartments will be announced on July 21
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijan SEC to hold entrance exams on II and III specialty groups
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on education
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan bans advertising of abortion and artificial fermentation
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani President: Some public servants misbehave and make blatant mistakes
- 12.07.2017Judicial investigation into Alexander Lapshin’s case concludes
- 12.07.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan appoints new chairpersons to several courts of appeal
- 11.07.2017New chairpersons appointed to civil, military collegiums of Azerbaijani Supreme Court
- 30.06.2017Judicial investigation launched into Alexander Lapshin’s case - UPDATED
- 30.06.2017Six children given up to foreigners for adoption in Azerbaijan this year
- 01.07.2017Minister: No force is able to threaten public order and security in Azerbaijan
- 30.06.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves candidatures of several judges
- 30.06.2017July weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 29.06.2017Beytulla Huseynov testifies in trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials