Azerbaijani MP proposes to establish universities named after Heydar Aliyev, Mammad Amin Rasulzade and Elchibey
Azerbaijani MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev has proposed to establish universities named after Heydar Aliyev, Mammad Amin Rasulzade and Elchibey in the country.
During the discussion of the draft law on making amendments to the law on Azerbaijan’s state budget for 2017 at the parliament on Friday, Hasanguliyev noted that the next year will mark the 95th anniversary of Heydar Aliyev’s birth, the 135th anniversary of Mammad Amin Rasulzade’s birth and the 80th anniversary of Abulfaz Elchibey’s birth.
According to the parliamentarian, the number of universities in Azerbaijan is 2.5 times less than in other countries.
“Besides, our country lags behind other countries for the number of students and scientists. Therefore, I think that new universities should be established along with increasing the quality of education. I propose new universities to be opened named after these three personalities,” he said.
Hasanguliyev went on to say. “In time, Heydar Aliyev attended the funeral of Abulfaz Elchibey to show respect to his memory. Besides, Elchibey invited Heydar Aliyev from Nakhchivan to Baku during the hard times of the country. So, it would be good if this proposal is realized.
MP Siyavush Novruzov said that it would be wrong to compare Heydar Aliyev with other people.
"As for the externalization of names, there should be a different approach. The ruling New Azerbaijan Party highly appraises the service of everyone and favors perpetuating their names. However, unlike my colleague Gudrat Hasanguliyev said, it is not right to compare the Great Leader with others because it’s the people of Azerbaijan who brought the Great Leader back to power,” he said.
Novruzov stressed that the great leader came and saved Azerbaijan while chaos and separatism was raging across the country and the independence of the country was under threat.
“When the great leader came to power, he saved not only Azerbaijan, but also those in power and the ones who are now in opposition. Everyone knows that Surat Huseynov’s vow about setting up gallows in the Azadliq Square to hang certain people. Thus, the National Leader also saved the ones in opposition. That's why the name of the Great Leader must be eternalized and there must be schools and universities named after him,” he added.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2018Payments on insurance against industrial accidents amounts to AZN 1.4M
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani MP criticizes NGOs: Many of them engaged in populism
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani MP opposes equating bride kidnapping to abduction
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani MP expresses disapproval of media coverage of suicides among youth
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani MP proposes reducing number of children for notion of multiple-children family from 5 to 3
- 23.05.2018Round table on theme “Azerbaijani family model” kicks off in parliament
- 23.05.2018MP: In most cases Facebook, SMS messages end marriages in Azerbaijan
- 23.05.2018Number of people with disabilities in Azerbaijan announced
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijan to amend law on education
- 21.05.2018Teachers to undergo certification testing in Azerbaijan
- 19.05.2018Weather forecast for May 20
- 18.05.2018Newspaper Echo closing down
- 18.05.2018More than 900 people die of HIV in Azerbaijan over past 31 years
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s SEC to hold TOEFL IBT and SAT exams
- 18.05.2018193 diagnosed with HIV in Azerbaijan in 2018, 16 mortalities reported
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan’s Minister of Ecology and Natural Resources has received a BP delegation.
- 17.05.2018Much remains to be done to solve IDPs’ problems in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC chairperson comments on suicides of two applicants
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan SEC gives applicants opportunity to change specialty groups
- 17.05.2018Carpet weaved during period of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic put on display
- 17.05.2018Bodies of Azerbaijani mountaineers handed over to families
- 16.05.2018U.S. citizens traveling by AZAL's New York-Baku flight to be granted ASAN Visa
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijani Cabinet of Ministers mulls strengthening control over illicit medicine trade
- 16.05.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new building of Nakhchivan Teachers Institute
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates secondary school in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev launches start of reconstruction of water supply system in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC announces results of entrance exams on 2nd and 3rd specialty groups
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijani president inaugurates new building of Heydar Aliyev Modern Educational Complex - UPDATED
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan creates organizing committee to hold European Youth Olympic Festival
- 15.05.2018Amount of fee for ASAN visas offered at Azerbaijani airports determined
- 15.05.2018Over 430,000 foreigners granted Azerbaijani visas via ASAN Visa since January 2017
- 15.05.2018ASAN Visa system launched at Baku’s Heydar Aliyev International Airport
- 14.05.2018Evasion from paying unemployment insurance and mandatory state social insurance to entail criminal liability
- 12.05.2018Traffic movement to be restricted in center of Baku tomorrow
- 12.05.2018Lightning, heavy rain expected in some places tomorrow
- 11.05.2018ITV Director General Jamil Guliyev removed from duty
- 11.05.2018"Sevdiyim" project presented in Azerbaijan
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC to hold entrance exams on 2nd and 3rd specialty groups on May 13
- 10.05.2018Unknown predators found in Azerbaijan’s Ismayilli
- 30.06.2017Judicial investigation launched into Alexander Lapshin’s case - UPDATED
- 30.06.2017Six children given up to foreigners for adoption in Azerbaijan this year
- 01.07.2017Minister: No force is able to threaten public order and security in Azerbaijan
- 30.06.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves candidatures of several judges
- 30.06.2017July weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 29.06.2017Beytulla Huseynov testifies in trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials