Azerbaijani MP proposes to establish universities named after Heydar Aliyev, Mammad Amin Rasulzade and Elchibey
Azerbaijani MP Gudrat Hasanguliyev has proposed to establish universities named after Heydar Aliyev, Mammad Amin Rasulzade and Elchibey in the country.
During the discussion of the draft law on making amendments to the law on Azerbaijan’s state budget for 2017 at the parliament on Friday, Hasanguliyev noted that the next year will mark the 95th anniversary of Heydar Aliyev’s birth, the 135th anniversary of Mammad Amin Rasulzade’s birth and the 80th anniversary of Abulfaz Elchibey’s birth.
According to the parliamentarian, the number of universities in Azerbaijan is 2.5 times less than in other countries.
“Besides, our country lags behind other countries for the number of students and scientists. Therefore, I think that new universities should be established along with increasing the quality of education. I propose new universities to be opened named after these three personalities,” he said.
Hasanguliyev went on to say. “In time, Heydar Aliyev attended the funeral of Abulfaz Elchibey to show respect to his memory. Besides, Elchibey invited Heydar Aliyev from Nakhchivan to Baku during the hard times of the country. So, it would be good if this proposal is realized.
MP Siyavush Novruzov said that it would be wrong to compare Heydar Aliyev with other people.
"As for the externalization of names, there should be a different approach. The ruling New Azerbaijan Party highly appraises the service of everyone and favors perpetuating their names. However, unlike my colleague Gudrat Hasanguliyev said, it is not right to compare the Great Leader with others because it’s the people of Azerbaijan who brought the Great Leader back to power,” he said.
Novruzov stressed that the great leader came and saved Azerbaijan while chaos and separatism was raging across the country and the independence of the country was under threat.
“When the great leader came to power, he saved not only Azerbaijan, but also those in power and the ones who are now in opposition. Everyone knows that Surat Huseynov’s vow about setting up gallows in the Azadliq Square to hang certain people. Thus, the National Leader also saved the ones in opposition. That's why the name of the Great Leader must be eternalized and there must be schools and universities named after him,” he added.
Related news releases
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijan may list historical items older than 1960 as cultural resources
- 19.09.2017Foreigners to be required additional documents to get their driver licenses changed in Azerbaijan
- 19.09.2017People's Artist Fuad Poladov says he was diagnosed with lung cancer 3 months ago - UPDATED
- 19.09.2017World Bank, Azerbaijani State Committee for Refugee and IDP Affairs implement $170 mln credit projects
- 18.09.2017Tbilisi hosts int’l conference on fight against tuberculosis
- 16.09.2017Winners of essay contest amongst youth of Islamic countries awarded
- 16.09.2017Temperature to be 35C in Baku, 36C in regions tomorrow
- 16.09.2017Azerbaijan Education Ministry: Students of Tafakkur University will not be awarded a diploma because it is not accredited
- 16.09.2017New specialty to be created in master’s programme
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves 2017-2021 State Youth Programme
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan changing rules for foreigners obtaining scientific degree
- 15.09.2017Sharp decline in natural growth in Azerbaijani-populated Georgian region
- 15.09.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 15.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: School-building process in Azerbaijan going on rapidly
- 15.09.2017New building of French-Azerbaijani University inaugurated
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new building of school-lyceum in Baku - UPDATED
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani president: We ourselves set new standards
- 15.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Lots of schools in Azerbaijan repaired in recent years
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan celebrates Day of Knowledge - PHOTOSESSION
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan celebrates Knowledge Day
- 13.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev grants scholarship to students admitted to universities
- 13.09.2017UNHCR report highlights education crisis for refugee children
- 13.09.2017Another IBA official standing trial on fraud charges
- 13.09.2017Georgian Azerbaijanis stage protest over Myanmar violence
- 13.09.2017Lapshin thanks Azerbaijani president for pardoning him
- 12.09.2017Trial of Azerbaijan MNS ex-officials continues
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani SEC: Additional exams to be held for students who missed final exams
- 11.09.2017Lapshin will most likely be sent to Israel tomorrow – lawyer
- 11.09.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva views renovated orphanage-kindergarten in Baku
- 11.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev views special school in Baku after major overhaul
- 11.09.2017Lapshin attempts suicide under pretext of delayed extradition: Penitentiary Service
- 11.09.2017Mehman Aliyev released from prison
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijani president tells law enforcement agencies to consider Mehman Aliyev’s appeal
- 11.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev views schools in Baku after major overhaul
- 11.09.2017Prominent scientist Lotfi Zadeh to be buried in 1st Alley of Honor
- 09.09.2017Iosif Kobzon awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani president
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijan announces rewards for athletes who achieved high results in 29th Summer Universiade
- 08.09.2017Italian embassy in Baku explains reason for refusing student visas
- 08.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Zugulba training and sports base
- 07.09.2017Azerbaijani president offers condolence over Lotfi Zadeh’s death
- 30.06.2017Judicial investigation launched into Alexander Lapshin’s case - UPDATED
- 30.06.2017Six children given up to foreigners for adoption in Azerbaijan this year
- 01.07.2017Minister: No force is able to threaten public order and security in Azerbaijan
- 30.06.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves candidatures of several judges
- 30.06.2017July weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 29.06.2017Beytulla Huseynov testifies in trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials