More seven NGO bank accounts frozen
Baku. Ramiz Mikayiloglu – APA. By the decisions of the district courts, bank accounts of a number of non-governmental organizations (NGO) were frozen upon the application of the General Prosecutor’s Office.
APA reports that Media Rights Institute chaired by Rashid Hajili, Democratic Institutions and Human Rights Public Union chaired by Elchin Abdullayev, Democracy and Human Rights Resource Center chaired by Asabali Mustafayev, Azerbaijan Lawyers Association chaired by Annagi Hajibayli, Center for National and International Studies chaired by Leyla Aliyeva, the Public Association for Assistance to Free Economy headed by Zohrab Ismail are among those NGOs.
Applications of the General Prosecutor’s Office to the court regarding the NGOs are mainly in the same context. According to the applications, the criminal case is investigated with the Criminal Code’s articles #308.1 and #313 on the facts of the violation of law in the activities of Azerbaijan’s some NGOs and branches and representative offices of foreign NGOs. As the representations of the German Marshall Fund of the United States, International Research & Exchanges Board (IREX), Open Society Institute Assistance Foundation of the Principality of Liechtenstein in Azerbaijan and the U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan transferred large amount of funds to the bank accounts of these NGOs and there are evidences that those funds are subject of crime, it was demanded to arrest these bank accounts within the criminal procedure course to ensure complete, comprehensive and objective investigation, further confiscation of criminally obtained funds and to prevent the alienation. District courts also made judgment on the arrest of these bank accounts within the criminal procedure course.
Personal accounts of R.Hajili, E.Abdullayev and Z.Ismayil were also frozen.
Head of Legal Education Society, Intigam Aliyev whose bank account was frozen earlier and Z.Ismayil confirmed to the APA that banks accounts of the mentioned NGOs and persons have been frozen.
Bank account of the IREX Azerbaijan office has been frozen unilaterally, lawyer of the IREX Alasgar Mammadli told APA. According to him, it became impossible to withdraw funds out of the bank account. Mammadli said the company’s activities are transparent. He also said he hopes investigations will come to an end by November 1 and the arrest warrant on the bank account will be dropped: “The IREX Azerbaijan office states that all their activities have been carried out within the country’s legislation and still continue. And all their activities in the country are closely coordinated with the Republic Commission on International Humanitarian Aid chaired by Ali Hasanov and have been continued through interaction, giving them all necessary information. Moreover, the IREX Azerbaijan office has always respected the requirements of Azerbaijani laws and set up its work in line with the legislation as well as the requirements of the law on approving the contract “On Cooperation Agreement on Facilitation of Aid between the Government of Azerbaijan and the Government of the United States of America” (approved on 18 July 2000)”.
Note that, arrest warrants had also been imposed on the bank accounts of the Oilman Rights Protection Committee (ORPC) chaired by Mirvari Gahramanli, the Legal Enlightenment Society chaired by Intigam Aliyev, the Legal Defense and Education Society chaired by Rasul Jafarov, and the Institute for Reporters Freedom and Safety chaired by Emin Huseynov.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2018Akif Chovdarov asks court to acquit him
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amendments to law on road traffic
- 24.05.2018President Aliyev: Number of Azerbaijani IDPs provided with housing to reach 285,000 by year-end
- 24.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new residential complex for IDPs in Baku
- 23.05.2018Payments on insurance against industrial accidents amounts to AZN 1.4M
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani MP criticizes NGOs: Many of them engaged in populism
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani MP opposes equating bride kidnapping to abduction
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani MP expresses disapproval of media coverage of suicides among youth
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani MP proposes reducing number of children for notion of multiple-children family from 5 to 3
- 23.05.2018Round table on theme “Azerbaijani family model” kicks off in parliament
- 23.05.2018MP: In most cases Facebook, SMS messages end marriages in Azerbaijan
- 23.05.2018Number of people with disabilities in Azerbaijan announced
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijan to amend law on education
- 21.05.2018Teachers to undergo certification testing in Azerbaijan
- 19.05.2018Weather forecast for May 20
- 18.05.2018Newspaper Echo closing down
- 18.05.2018More than 900 people die of HIV in Azerbaijan over past 31 years
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s SEC to hold TOEFL IBT and SAT exams
- 18.05.2018193 diagnosed with HIV in Azerbaijan in 2018, 16 mortalities reported
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan’s Minister of Ecology and Natural Resources has received a BP delegation.
- 17.05.2018Much remains to be done to solve IDPs’ problems in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC chairperson comments on suicides of two applicants
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan SEC gives applicants opportunity to change specialty groups
- 17.05.2018Carpet weaved during period of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic put on display
- 17.05.2018Bodies of Azerbaijani mountaineers handed over to families
- 16.05.2018U.S. citizens traveling by AZAL's New York-Baku flight to be granted ASAN Visa
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijani Cabinet of Ministers mulls strengthening control over illicit medicine trade
- 16.05.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new building of Nakhchivan Teachers Institute
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates secondary school in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev launches start of reconstruction of water supply system in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC announces results of entrance exams on 2nd and 3rd specialty groups
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijani president inaugurates new building of Heydar Aliyev Modern Educational Complex - UPDATED
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan creates organizing committee to hold European Youth Olympic Festival
- 15.05.2018Amount of fee for ASAN visas offered at Azerbaijani airports determined
- 15.05.2018Over 430,000 foreigners granted Azerbaijani visas via ASAN Visa since January 2017
- 15.05.2018ASAN Visa system launched at Baku’s Heydar Aliyev International Airport
- 14.05.2018Evasion from paying unemployment insurance and mandatory state social insurance to entail criminal liability
- 12.05.2018Traffic movement to be restricted in center of Baku tomorrow
- 12.05.2018Lightning, heavy rain expected in some places tomorrow
- 06.08.201433,623 applicants admitted to higher schools in Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 08.08.2014SSAC announces remaining vacancies for master’s degree at higher schools
- 11.08.2014Azerbaijan reveals malignant tumors of which organs men and woman suffer from most
- 04.08.2014Azerbaijan makes public number of children aged 14-18 who committed crimes
- 30.07.2014180 employees of penitentiary service face disciplinary proceedings, another 19 dismissed from justice bodies
- 30.07.2014Weather forecast for August in Azerbaijan