More seven NGO bank accounts frozen
Baku. Ramiz Mikayiloglu – APA. By the decisions of the district courts, bank accounts of a number of non-governmental organizations (NGO) were frozen upon the application of the General Prosecutor’s Office.
APA reports that Media Rights Institute chaired by Rashid Hajili, Democratic Institutions and Human Rights Public Union chaired by Elchin Abdullayev, Democracy and Human Rights Resource Center chaired by Asabali Mustafayev, Azerbaijan Lawyers Association chaired by Annagi Hajibayli, Center for National and International Studies chaired by Leyla Aliyeva, the Public Association for Assistance to Free Economy headed by Zohrab Ismail are among those NGOs.
Applications of the General Prosecutor’s Office to the court regarding the NGOs are mainly in the same context. According to the applications, the criminal case is investigated with the Criminal Code’s articles #308.1 and #313 on the facts of the violation of law in the activities of Azerbaijan’s some NGOs and branches and representative offices of foreign NGOs. As the representations of the German Marshall Fund of the United States, International Research & Exchanges Board (IREX), Open Society Institute Assistance Foundation of the Principality of Liechtenstein in Azerbaijan and the U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan transferred large amount of funds to the bank accounts of these NGOs and there are evidences that those funds are subject of crime, it was demanded to arrest these bank accounts within the criminal procedure course to ensure complete, comprehensive and objective investigation, further confiscation of criminally obtained funds and to prevent the alienation. District courts also made judgment on the arrest of these bank accounts within the criminal procedure course.
Personal accounts of R.Hajili, E.Abdullayev and Z.Ismayil were also frozen.
Head of Legal Education Society, Intigam Aliyev whose bank account was frozen earlier and Z.Ismayil confirmed to the APA that banks accounts of the mentioned NGOs and persons have been frozen.
Bank account of the IREX Azerbaijan office has been frozen unilaterally, lawyer of the IREX Alasgar Mammadli told APA. According to him, it became impossible to withdraw funds out of the bank account. Mammadli said the company’s activities are transparent. He also said he hopes investigations will come to an end by November 1 and the arrest warrant on the bank account will be dropped: “The IREX Azerbaijan office states that all their activities have been carried out within the country’s legislation and still continue. And all their activities in the country are closely coordinated with the Republic Commission on International Humanitarian Aid chaired by Ali Hasanov and have been continued through interaction, giving them all necessary information. Moreover, the IREX Azerbaijan office has always respected the requirements of Azerbaijani laws and set up its work in line with the legislation as well as the requirements of the law on approving the contract “On Cooperation Agreement on Facilitation of Aid between the Government of Azerbaijan and the Government of the United States of America” (approved on 18 July 2000)”.
Note that, arrest warrants had also been imposed on the bank accounts of the Oilman Rights Protection Committee (ORPC) chaired by Mirvari Gahramanli, the Legal Enlightenment Society chaired by Intigam Aliyev, the Legal Defense and Education Society chaired by Rasul Jafarov, and the Institute for Reporters Freedom and Safety chaired by Emin Huseynov.
Related news releases
- 23.08.2016Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Sheki
- 23.08.2016Common textbook of Turkic-speaking countries ready
- 19.08.2016Minister: Efforts are underway to create new recreational zones in Azerbaijan
- 19.08.2016Final stage of teaching admission competition ends
- 19.08.2016ASAN Service, Korea Interior Ministry sign memorandum
- 18.08.2016Azerbaijani language, literature to be taught in Tabriz University
- 18.08.2016Ancient catacomb discovered in Azerbaijan’s Gabala
- 17.08.20162,581 foreigners deported from Azerbaijan in July
- 17.08.2016Tariff Council comments on reports of drugs being sold at higher prices
- 16.08.2016Ancient Achaemenid palace discovered in Azerbaijan’s Shamkir
- 15.08.2016Azerbaijani MP: It looks as if some war is taking place on roads
- 13.08.2016Temperature to be 39C in Baku, 42 in districts
- 13.08.2016List of most popular names given to children in Azerbaijan this year made public
- 12.08.2016Number of Azerbaijani population reaches 9.7 milion
- 12.08.2016Azerbaijan registered 29,800 marriages, 6,300 divorces in six months of 2016
- 12.08.2016AZAL official: Tremendous increase in number of Azerbaijanis going on holiday to Turkey
- 12.08.2016Temperature to rise up to 40C in Baku, 43 in districts
- 12.08.2016Azerbaijan announces university placement results, specialty selection to be done for vacancies
- 11.08.2016Temperature to rise up to 43 C in Azerbaijan, ministry warns
- 11.08.2016Planting ceremony held for scarce Japanese tree in Seaside National Park
- 11.08.2016Specialty choice to universities in Azerbaijan finishes
- 11.08.2016185 different drugs state-registered this year: Azerbaijan Health Ministry
- 11.08.2016Cause of sharp increase in influx of tourists traveling from Arab countries to Azerbaijan revealed
- 10.08.2016Tariff Council to determine amount of fee for participation in test exams
- 10.08.2016Azerbaijani president attends opening of Gabala regional “ASAN xidmət” center
- 10.08.2016Procedure which led to resentment between Education Ministry and SSAC cancelled
- 10.08.2016Geologists: All continents to combine to form one mainland in future
- 10.08.2016Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Imishli
- 10.08.2016Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences’ authority to control scientific research cancelled
- 10.08.2016Education Ministry: No guarantee for recognition of diplomas of students who entered foreign universities by school certificate
- 10.08.2016Specialty choice to Azerbaijan's universities to finish on Aug.10
- 10.08.2016Number of TB-infected patients in Azerbaijan made public
- 10.08.20162,371 candidates for teaching vacancies through to next stage
- 09.08.2016No food benefits to be given to IDP babies born after 31 December 2016
- 09.08.2016Azerbaijan electronizes transfer of students and change of specialty
- 09.08.2016Baba Rzayev conferred with title ‘honored engineer’
- 09.08.201617 Azerbaijani students to study in Chinese universities
- 08.08.2016Azerbaijan announces number of visually impaired people
- 08.08.2016Hot weather to be continued in Azerbaijan
- 08.08.20162000-year-old jar burial found in Azerbaijan
- 06.08.201433,623 applicants admitted to higher schools in Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 08.08.2014SSAC announces remaining vacancies for master’s degree at higher schools
- 11.08.2014Azerbaijan reveals malignant tumors of which organs men and woman suffer from most
- 04.08.2014Azerbaijan makes public number of children aged 14-18 who committed crimes
- 30.07.2014180 employees of penitentiary service face disciplinary proceedings, another 19 dismissed from justice bodies
- 30.07.2014Weather forecast for August in Azerbaijan