More seven NGO bank accounts frozen
Baku. Ramiz Mikayiloglu – APA. By the decisions of the district courts, bank accounts of a number of non-governmental organizations (NGO) were frozen upon the application of the General Prosecutor’s Office.
APA reports that Media Rights Institute chaired by Rashid Hajili, Democratic Institutions and Human Rights Public Union chaired by Elchin Abdullayev, Democracy and Human Rights Resource Center chaired by Asabali Mustafayev, Azerbaijan Lawyers Association chaired by Annagi Hajibayli, Center for National and International Studies chaired by Leyla Aliyeva, the Public Association for Assistance to Free Economy headed by Zohrab Ismail are among those NGOs.
Applications of the General Prosecutor’s Office to the court regarding the NGOs are mainly in the same context. According to the applications, the criminal case is investigated with the Criminal Code’s articles #308.1 and #313 on the facts of the violation of law in the activities of Azerbaijan’s some NGOs and branches and representative offices of foreign NGOs. As the representations of the German Marshall Fund of the United States, International Research & Exchanges Board (IREX), Open Society Institute Assistance Foundation of the Principality of Liechtenstein in Azerbaijan and the U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan transferred large amount of funds to the bank accounts of these NGOs and there are evidences that those funds are subject of crime, it was demanded to arrest these bank accounts within the criminal procedure course to ensure complete, comprehensive and objective investigation, further confiscation of criminally obtained funds and to prevent the alienation. District courts also made judgment on the arrest of these bank accounts within the criminal procedure course.
Personal accounts of R.Hajili, E.Abdullayev and Z.Ismayil were also frozen.
Head of Legal Education Society, Intigam Aliyev whose bank account was frozen earlier and Z.Ismayil confirmed to the APA that banks accounts of the mentioned NGOs and persons have been frozen.
Bank account of the IREX Azerbaijan office has been frozen unilaterally, lawyer of the IREX Alasgar Mammadli told APA. According to him, it became impossible to withdraw funds out of the bank account. Mammadli said the company’s activities are transparent. He also said he hopes investigations will come to an end by November 1 and the arrest warrant on the bank account will be dropped: “The IREX Azerbaijan office states that all their activities have been carried out within the country’s legislation and still continue. And all their activities in the country are closely coordinated with the Republic Commission on International Humanitarian Aid chaired by Ali Hasanov and have been continued through interaction, giving them all necessary information. Moreover, the IREX Azerbaijan office has always respected the requirements of Azerbaijani laws and set up its work in line with the legislation as well as the requirements of the law on approving the contract “On Cooperation Agreement on Facilitation of Aid between the Government of Azerbaijan and the Government of the United States of America” (approved on 18 July 2000)”.
Note that, arrest warrants had also been imposed on the bank accounts of the Oilman Rights Protection Committee (ORPC) chaired by Mirvari Gahramanli, the Legal Enlightenment Society chaired by Intigam Aliyev, the Legal Defense and Education Society chaired by Rasul Jafarov, and the Institute for Reporters Freedom and Safety chaired by Emin Huseynov.
Related news releases
- 29.09.2016TASS deputy director general: We have not perceived yet how information technologies can be dangerous
- 29.09.2016Nobel laureates discuss in Baku possible solutions to global problems
- 29.09.2016Leyla Aliyeva: Azerbaijan has become a country of tolerance, dialogue, new ideas
- 29.09.2016Azerbaijan increasing expenses for healthcare
- 29.09.2016Kemaleddin Heydarov’s scheduled receipt of citizens in Aghdam postponed
- 29.09.2016No racism in Uruguay - MP
- 29.09.2016Azerbaijan announces amount of proposed expenditures on education for 2017
- 29.09.2016Azerbaijani president: Early tendencies of ‘confrontation of civilizations’ already visible
- 28.09.2016US Simon Wiesenthal Center associate dean visits Guba Genocide Memorial Complex
- 28.09.2016Azerbaijan begins applying control marks in countering piracy
- 28.09.2016Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Aghdam’s Guzanli
- 27.09.2016Hispanic Heritage Month celebrated at US embassy in Baku
- 27.09.2016Meteorologists warn of anticipated weather change in Azerbaijan
- 27.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev opens Heydar Aliyev Center in Sumgayit
- 27.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Sumgayit
- 24.09.2016Snow falls in Guba’s Khinaliq village
- 24.09.2016ASAN Service centers won’t work on Sept. 26
- 24.09.2016Ambassador Cekuta welcomes new US Exchange Program Alumni
- 23.09.2016Ilham Aliyev: Baku’s capability to host F1 race witnessed by 500 mln people
- 23.09.2016Mehriban Aliyeva receives honorary citizen diploma in Bulgaria
- 22.09.2016Gender reassignment surgery not prohibited by Azerbaijani legislation – Health Ministry
- 22.09.2016State Agency director: Compulsory health insurance to be introduced in most parts of Azerbaijan in 2018 - INTERVIEW
- 22.09.2016Azerbaijan to open new specialized secondary school
- 21.09.2016Landslide hits road in Azerbaijan
- 20.09.2016Minister of Emergency Situations of Azerbaijan Kamaladdin Heydarov receives the Russian Minister Vladimir Puchkov
- 20.09.2016Azerbaijan gov’t receives list of diseases including compulsory health insurance package
- 19.09.2016Azerbaijan gov’t eliminates foreign exchange problem with sale of medicines
- 16.09.2016ANAS: Precipitation to increase in mountains, decrease in lowlands
- 16.09.20163,201 foreigners deported from Azerbaijan in August
- 16.09.2016Number of Azerbaijani population announced
- 15.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new building of school in Baku
- 15.09.2016Mikayil Jabbarov announces percentage of final exams for regions
- 15.09.2016Student hostel of 1000-person capacity to build in Azerbaijan
- 15.09.2016Minister: "The number of students who choose the teaching as a profession has increased tenfold”
- 15.09.2016Azerbaijan celebrates Knowledge Day
- 14.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev visits IT STEP Academy in Baku
- 14.09.2016Azerbaijan grants presidential stipend to students who entered university with high score
- 14.09.2016Rector of Azerbaijan Technical University dismissed
- 14.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev views new school blocks in Baku - UPDATED
- 13.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev reviews schools No.261, No.58 in Khatai district
- 06.08.201433,623 applicants admitted to higher schools in Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 08.08.2014SSAC announces remaining vacancies for master’s degree at higher schools
- 11.08.2014Azerbaijan reveals malignant tumors of which organs men and woman suffer from most
- 04.08.2014Azerbaijan makes public number of children aged 14-18 who committed crimes
- 30.07.2014180 employees of penitentiary service face disciplinary proceedings, another 19 dismissed from justice bodies
- 30.07.2014Weather forecast for August in Azerbaijan