More seven NGO bank accounts frozen
Baku. Ramiz Mikayiloglu – APA. By the decisions of the district courts, bank accounts of a number of non-governmental organizations (NGO) were frozen upon the application of the General Prosecutor’s Office.
APA reports that Media Rights Institute chaired by Rashid Hajili, Democratic Institutions and Human Rights Public Union chaired by Elchin Abdullayev, Democracy and Human Rights Resource Center chaired by Asabali Mustafayev, Azerbaijan Lawyers Association chaired by Annagi Hajibayli, Center for National and International Studies chaired by Leyla Aliyeva, the Public Association for Assistance to Free Economy headed by Zohrab Ismail are among those NGOs.
Applications of the General Prosecutor’s Office to the court regarding the NGOs are mainly in the same context. According to the applications, the criminal case is investigated with the Criminal Code’s articles #308.1 and #313 on the facts of the violation of law in the activities of Azerbaijan’s some NGOs and branches and representative offices of foreign NGOs. As the representations of the German Marshall Fund of the United States, International Research & Exchanges Board (IREX), Open Society Institute Assistance Foundation of the Principality of Liechtenstein in Azerbaijan and the U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan transferred large amount of funds to the bank accounts of these NGOs and there are evidences that those funds are subject of crime, it was demanded to arrest these bank accounts within the criminal procedure course to ensure complete, comprehensive and objective investigation, further confiscation of criminally obtained funds and to prevent the alienation. District courts also made judgment on the arrest of these bank accounts within the criminal procedure course.
Personal accounts of R.Hajili, E.Abdullayev and Z.Ismayil were also frozen.
Head of Legal Education Society, Intigam Aliyev whose bank account was frozen earlier and Z.Ismayil confirmed to the APA that banks accounts of the mentioned NGOs and persons have been frozen.
Bank account of the IREX Azerbaijan office has been frozen unilaterally, lawyer of the IREX Alasgar Mammadli told APA. According to him, it became impossible to withdraw funds out of the bank account. Mammadli said the company’s activities are transparent. He also said he hopes investigations will come to an end by November 1 and the arrest warrant on the bank account will be dropped: “The IREX Azerbaijan office states that all their activities have been carried out within the country’s legislation and still continue. And all their activities in the country are closely coordinated with the Republic Commission on International Humanitarian Aid chaired by Ali Hasanov and have been continued through interaction, giving them all necessary information. Moreover, the IREX Azerbaijan office has always respected the requirements of Azerbaijani laws and set up its work in line with the legislation as well as the requirements of the law on approving the contract “On Cooperation Agreement on Facilitation of Aid between the Government of Azerbaijan and the Government of the United States of America” (approved on 18 July 2000)”.
Note that, arrest warrants had also been imposed on the bank accounts of the Oilman Rights Protection Committee (ORPC) chaired by Mirvari Gahramanli, the Legal Enlightenment Society chaired by Intigam Aliyev, the Legal Defense and Education Society chaired by Rasul Jafarov, and the Institute for Reporters Freedom and Safety chaired by Emin Huseynov.
Related news releases
- 24.03.2017Temperature to reach 18 C in Azerbaijan tomorrow
- 23.03.2017Changeable cloudy and dry weather predicted in Baku
- 22.03.2017Changeable cloudy weather to prevail in Baku
- 20.03.2017Azercell supports international event in Baku
- 20.03.2017Spring comes to Azerbaijan
- 18.03.2017Commission for the Regulation and Coordination of Labor Relations established in Azerbaijan
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani court pronounces verdict against former navy chief
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan to apply writing tasks for college admission for first time
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani Emergencies Ministry to work on enhanced mode during holiday
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan completes execution of president’s pardon order
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan extends deadline for document admission to master’s degree and residency
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani MP’s nephew charged with swindle released in courtroom
- 17.03.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Aghdash
- 17.03.2017Albanian president awarded title of honorary doctor of Azerbaijan University of Languages
- 17.03.201714 female inmates pardoned Azerbaijan's president
- 17.03.2017Pardon order: 40 inmates released from Correctional Facility No. 13
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan starts execution of presidential order on pardon
- 16.03.2017Rector appointed to Baku Engineering University
- 16.03.2017Number of Azerbaijani population announced
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani MES: Project for 1st micro-district to cover more areas in case it proves successful
- 15.03.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official
- 14.03.2017Two-time European karate champion standing trial on drug charges
- 14.03.2017Dust clouds over Turkmenistan to hit Azerbaijan
- 14.03.2017Hearing in case of former MNS generals postponed
- 14.03.2017Supreme Court considers IBA ex-chairman’s appeal
- 14.03.2017Azerbaijani court rejects appeal of former OMON members
- 14.03.2017Azerbaijan celebrates Last Tuesday of Novruz Holiday
- 13.03.2017Alexander Lapshin meets lawyer
- 13.03.2017Dust storm from Arabian Desert hits Baku
- 13.03.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Aghdash
- 13.03.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial postponed
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss bill prohibiting smoking in public places
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan announce dates of entrance exams for master’s degree
- 10.03.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan announces admission to masters degree
- 09.03.2017Former MNS employees plead not guilty - UPDATED
- 09.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: Main goal is to provide 4,000 IDP families with apartments in Baku and Sumgayit
- 09.03.2017US ambassador begins trip to Azerbaijan’s southern region
- 08.03.2017Today marks International Women’s Day
- 07.03.2017Polluted environments kill 1.7 million children each year: WHO
- 06.08.201433,623 applicants admitted to higher schools in Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 08.08.2014SSAC announces remaining vacancies for master’s degree at higher schools
- 11.08.2014Azerbaijan reveals malignant tumors of which organs men and woman suffer from most
- 04.08.2014Azerbaijan makes public number of children aged 14-18 who committed crimes
- 30.07.2014180 employees of penitentiary service face disciplinary proceedings, another 19 dismissed from justice bodies
- 30.07.2014Weather forecast for August in Azerbaijan