More seven NGO bank accounts frozen
Baku. Ramiz Mikayiloglu – APA. By the decisions of the district courts, bank accounts of a number of non-governmental organizations (NGO) were frozen upon the application of the General Prosecutor’s Office.
APA reports that Media Rights Institute chaired by Rashid Hajili, Democratic Institutions and Human Rights Public Union chaired by Elchin Abdullayev, Democracy and Human Rights Resource Center chaired by Asabali Mustafayev, Azerbaijan Lawyers Association chaired by Annagi Hajibayli, Center for National and International Studies chaired by Leyla Aliyeva, the Public Association for Assistance to Free Economy headed by Zohrab Ismail are among those NGOs.
Applications of the General Prosecutor’s Office to the court regarding the NGOs are mainly in the same context. According to the applications, the criminal case is investigated with the Criminal Code’s articles #308.1 and #313 on the facts of the violation of law in the activities of Azerbaijan’s some NGOs and branches and representative offices of foreign NGOs. As the representations of the German Marshall Fund of the United States, International Research & Exchanges Board (IREX), Open Society Institute Assistance Foundation of the Principality of Liechtenstein in Azerbaijan and the U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan transferred large amount of funds to the bank accounts of these NGOs and there are evidences that those funds are subject of crime, it was demanded to arrest these bank accounts within the criminal procedure course to ensure complete, comprehensive and objective investigation, further confiscation of criminally obtained funds and to prevent the alienation. District courts also made judgment on the arrest of these bank accounts within the criminal procedure course.
Personal accounts of R.Hajili, E.Abdullayev and Z.Ismayil were also frozen.
Head of Legal Education Society, Intigam Aliyev whose bank account was frozen earlier and Z.Ismayil confirmed to the APA that banks accounts of the mentioned NGOs and persons have been frozen.
Bank account of the IREX Azerbaijan office has been frozen unilaterally, lawyer of the IREX Alasgar Mammadli told APA. According to him, it became impossible to withdraw funds out of the bank account. Mammadli said the company’s activities are transparent. He also said he hopes investigations will come to an end by November 1 and the arrest warrant on the bank account will be dropped: “The IREX Azerbaijan office states that all their activities have been carried out within the country’s legislation and still continue. And all their activities in the country are closely coordinated with the Republic Commission on International Humanitarian Aid chaired by Ali Hasanov and have been continued through interaction, giving them all necessary information. Moreover, the IREX Azerbaijan office has always respected the requirements of Azerbaijani laws and set up its work in line with the legislation as well as the requirements of the law on approving the contract “On Cooperation Agreement on Facilitation of Aid between the Government of Azerbaijan and the Government of the United States of America” (approved on 18 July 2000)”.
Note that, arrest warrants had also been imposed on the bank accounts of the Oilman Rights Protection Committee (ORPC) chaired by Mirvari Gahramanli, the Legal Enlightenment Society chaired by Intigam Aliyev, the Legal Defense and Education Society chaired by Rasul Jafarov, and the Institute for Reporters Freedom and Safety chaired by Emin Huseynov.
Related news releases
- 18.02.2017Tariff Council: Rules for regulation of prices of medicines not changed
- 17.02.2017Azerbaijan sets electricity consumption limit for IDPs settled in non-gasified dormitories, boarding houses
- 17.02.2017Number of Azerbaijani population announced
- 17.02.2017Azerbaijan: 3,868 people still missing after Karabakh conflict
- 16.02.2017Lithuania’s independence marked in Baku
- 16.02.2017Book-album ‘Museum of Genocide’ presented in Baku
- 16.02.2017State Committee chairperson: Parents losing their sense of responsibility
- 16.02.2017Azerbaijani State Committee dissatisfied with non-implementation of laws on family and children affairs
- 16.02.2017Medicine prices in Azerbaijan regulated based on manat rate against dollar: Tariff Council
- 16.02.2017PA official: Judges sometimes order registration of illegal buildings
- 16.02.2017Azerbaijan names construction companies with highest number of complaints from citizens
- 16.02.20171,446 foreigners deported from Azerbaijan in January
- 15.02.2017Liquidation commission for Qafqaz University completes its work
- 15.02.2017Weather to deteriorate in Azerbaijan, snowfall predicted
- 15.02.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani human rights defenders welcome presidential order on improvement of penitentiary service
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani SEC sets dates for final exams for ninth graders
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijan: Utility costs of IDPs settled in dormitories, boarding houses to be paid by state
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani SEC develops new rules for civil service recruitment
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani SEC presents its first int’l project
- 14.02.2017SEC: Civil service recruitment process should be simplified in Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2017Azerbaijan, Austria launch joint exercises for search and rescue ops during avalanches
- 13.02.2017Number of university entrance exams may be increased in Azerbaijan
- 11.02.2017Azerbaijan approves new university admission rules
- 10.02.2017Members of Azerbaijan National Television and Radio Council appointed
- 10.02.2017Azerbaijan deports 16 Arab tourists for violating hunting rules
- 10.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev views conditions created at administrative building of Azerbaijan Railways CJSC
- 10.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of new service center at branch of Post Office No.1 in Baku
- 09.02.2017Seismic activity in Caspian Sea causes cracks in oil and gas fields: chief seismologist
- 09.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets family of National Hero Chingiz Gurbanov
- 08.02.2017Azerbaijani gov’t takes necessary steps to prevent further price hike – deputy PM
- 08.02.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official charged with embezzlement
- 08.02.2017Azerbaijan to change rules for university entry
- 07.02.2017First lunar eclipse to occur on February 11
- 06.02.2017Witnesses testify in Akif Chovdarov’s trial
- 06.02.2017Heydar Aliyev Foundation to support Baku Marathon 2017
- 06.02.2017Photo exhibition that captures plight of Azerbaijani IDPs opens in Düsseldorf
- 04.02.2017Weather forecast for Feb 5: dry weather expected in Azerbaijan
- 03.02.2017Azerbaijan starts relocating IDPs from buildings that are in disrepair
- 03.02.2017New children’s magazine presented in Azerbaijan
- 06.08.201433,623 applicants admitted to higher schools in Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 08.08.2014SSAC announces remaining vacancies for master’s degree at higher schools
- 11.08.2014Azerbaijan reveals malignant tumors of which organs men and woman suffer from most
- 04.08.2014Azerbaijan makes public number of children aged 14-18 who committed crimes
- 30.07.2014180 employees of penitentiary service face disciplinary proceedings, another 19 dismissed from justice bodies
- 30.07.2014Weather forecast for August in Azerbaijan