More seven NGO bank accounts frozen
Baku. Ramiz Mikayiloglu – APA. By the decisions of the district courts, bank accounts of a number of non-governmental organizations (NGO) were frozen upon the application of the General Prosecutor’s Office.
APA reports that Media Rights Institute chaired by Rashid Hajili, Democratic Institutions and Human Rights Public Union chaired by Elchin Abdullayev, Democracy and Human Rights Resource Center chaired by Asabali Mustafayev, Azerbaijan Lawyers Association chaired by Annagi Hajibayli, Center for National and International Studies chaired by Leyla Aliyeva, the Public Association for Assistance to Free Economy headed by Zohrab Ismail are among those NGOs.
Applications of the General Prosecutor’s Office to the court regarding the NGOs are mainly in the same context. According to the applications, the criminal case is investigated with the Criminal Code’s articles #308.1 and #313 on the facts of the violation of law in the activities of Azerbaijan’s some NGOs and branches and representative offices of foreign NGOs. As the representations of the German Marshall Fund of the United States, International Research & Exchanges Board (IREX), Open Society Institute Assistance Foundation of the Principality of Liechtenstein in Azerbaijan and the U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan transferred large amount of funds to the bank accounts of these NGOs and there are evidences that those funds are subject of crime, it was demanded to arrest these bank accounts within the criminal procedure course to ensure complete, comprehensive and objective investigation, further confiscation of criminally obtained funds and to prevent the alienation. District courts also made judgment on the arrest of these bank accounts within the criminal procedure course.
Personal accounts of R.Hajili, E.Abdullayev and Z.Ismayil were also frozen.
Head of Legal Education Society, Intigam Aliyev whose bank account was frozen earlier and Z.Ismayil confirmed to the APA that banks accounts of the mentioned NGOs and persons have been frozen.
Bank account of the IREX Azerbaijan office has been frozen unilaterally, lawyer of the IREX Alasgar Mammadli told APA. According to him, it became impossible to withdraw funds out of the bank account. Mammadli said the company’s activities are transparent. He also said he hopes investigations will come to an end by November 1 and the arrest warrant on the bank account will be dropped: “The IREX Azerbaijan office states that all their activities have been carried out within the country’s legislation and still continue. And all their activities in the country are closely coordinated with the Republic Commission on International Humanitarian Aid chaired by Ali Hasanov and have been continued through interaction, giving them all necessary information. Moreover, the IREX Azerbaijan office has always respected the requirements of Azerbaijani laws and set up its work in line with the legislation as well as the requirements of the law on approving the contract “On Cooperation Agreement on Facilitation of Aid between the Government of Azerbaijan and the Government of the United States of America” (approved on 18 July 2000)”.
Note that, arrest warrants had also been imposed on the bank accounts of the Oilman Rights Protection Committee (ORPC) chaired by Mirvari Gahramanli, the Legal Enlightenment Society chaired by Intigam Aliyev, the Legal Defense and Education Society chaired by Rasul Jafarov, and the Institute for Reporters Freedom and Safety chaired by Emin Huseynov.
Related news releases
- 21.10.2017Gabala hosts int’l scientific conference entitled ‘Archeology of Gabala’
- 21.10.2017Baku awaits rainless weather on Sunday
- 20.10.2017Applicants to take entrance exams in two groups this academic year in Azerbaijan
- 20.10.2017Ambassador Cekuta: About 7,000 Azerbaijanis received education in U.S. over 25-year period of diplomatic relations
- 20.10.2017In Azerbaijan, final exams to be held once, but entrance exams more than once under new model
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament excludes 3 issues from agenda
- 20.10.2017AZN 50.5 mln allocated for IDPs who don’t have access to gas supply
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani SEC: In 2019 maximum point in university entrance exams will be 400
- 20.10.2017Education expenditure in Azerbaijan’s draft state budget 2018 exceeds AZN 2 bln
- 20.10.2017Teachers’ diagnostic assessment in Azerbaijan to end next year
- 20.10.2017AZN 5M to be allocated to mark 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 20.10.2017People’s Artist Rafig Huseynov to be taken to Germany for treatment
- 19.10.201770 people brought to responsibility in Baku for auto-hooliganism
- 19.10.2017U.S., Azerbaijan improve water supply, livestock management for residents of Zardab and Aghjabadi
- 18.10.2017Spectators to be provided with buses following Qarabag-Atletico Madrid football match
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan registers 390 HIV-positive people in 2017
- 18.10.2017Documentary “Objective Baku: How Hitler Lost the Battle for Oil” screened in London
- 18.10.2017Increase in male victims of human trafficking, IOM says
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan considers amendment to Criminal Code regarding postponement of sentence for some prisoners
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan defines upper and lowers limits of new penalty for juvenile delinquency
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan’s trade representatives abroad to be paid in amount of 90 percent of ambassador’s salary
- 16.10.2017Interior Minister: Situation with sexual minorities in Azerbaijan no different from that in most European states
- 16.10.2017ANAS proposes businesses undertake to finance development of science in country
- 13.10.2017"IMAGINE" Euro Tolerance Festival 2017 kicks off in Baku
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijan set to abrogate imprisonment for illegal trafficking of medications
- 13.10.2017ANAS says statement by Institute of History on map crisis does not reflect its position
- 13.10.2017U.S., Azerbaijan improve irrigation in Saatli
- 13.10.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 13.10.20174-year-old Azerbaijani child rescued from ISIL in Iraq brought home
- 12.10.2017ANAS Institute of History issues statement on map crisis
- 12.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards railway workers
- 11.10.2017New generation vaccine developed against malaria: Azerbaijani scientist
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijan develops life expectancy map
- 10.10.2017Premarital examination: 240 diagnosed with thalassemia, 7 with AIDS in Azerbaijan
- 10.10.2017Strong magnetic storm to hit Earth
- 09.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Sometimes there are delays in execution of actions relating to Strategic Road Maps
- 09.10.2017Historian: ‘Greater Armenia’ map in history textbook may have been published for insidious purpose
- 09.10.2017Azerbaijan conducts serious fight against corruption, cybercrime: Deputy Prosecutor General
- 06.10.2017Project ‘Italian language week’ presented in Baku
- 06.10.2017Ambassador: From among EU countries, Italy is where most Azerbaijani students choose to pursue their study
- 06.08.201433,623 applicants admitted to higher schools in Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 08.08.2014SSAC announces remaining vacancies for master’s degree at higher schools
- 11.08.2014Azerbaijan reveals malignant tumors of which organs men and woman suffer from most
- 04.08.2014Azerbaijan makes public number of children aged 14-18 who committed crimes
- 30.07.2014180 employees of penitentiary service face disciplinary proceedings, another 19 dismissed from justice bodies
- 30.07.2014Weather forecast for August in Azerbaijan