More seven NGO bank accounts frozen
Baku. Ramiz Mikayiloglu – APA. By the decisions of the district courts, bank accounts of a number of non-governmental organizations (NGO) were frozen upon the application of the General Prosecutor’s Office.
APA reports that Media Rights Institute chaired by Rashid Hajili, Democratic Institutions and Human Rights Public Union chaired by Elchin Abdullayev, Democracy and Human Rights Resource Center chaired by Asabali Mustafayev, Azerbaijan Lawyers Association chaired by Annagi Hajibayli, Center for National and International Studies chaired by Leyla Aliyeva, the Public Association for Assistance to Free Economy headed by Zohrab Ismail are among those NGOs.
Applications of the General Prosecutor’s Office to the court regarding the NGOs are mainly in the same context. According to the applications, the criminal case is investigated with the Criminal Code’s articles #308.1 and #313 on the facts of the violation of law in the activities of Azerbaijan’s some NGOs and branches and representative offices of foreign NGOs. As the representations of the German Marshall Fund of the United States, International Research & Exchanges Board (IREX), Open Society Institute Assistance Foundation of the Principality of Liechtenstein in Azerbaijan and the U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan transferred large amount of funds to the bank accounts of these NGOs and there are evidences that those funds are subject of crime, it was demanded to arrest these bank accounts within the criminal procedure course to ensure complete, comprehensive and objective investigation, further confiscation of criminally obtained funds and to prevent the alienation. District courts also made judgment on the arrest of these bank accounts within the criminal procedure course.
Personal accounts of R.Hajili, E.Abdullayev and Z.Ismayil were also frozen.
Head of Legal Education Society, Intigam Aliyev whose bank account was frozen earlier and Z.Ismayil confirmed to the APA that banks accounts of the mentioned NGOs and persons have been frozen.
Bank account of the IREX Azerbaijan office has been frozen unilaterally, lawyer of the IREX Alasgar Mammadli told APA. According to him, it became impossible to withdraw funds out of the bank account. Mammadli said the company’s activities are transparent. He also said he hopes investigations will come to an end by November 1 and the arrest warrant on the bank account will be dropped: “The IREX Azerbaijan office states that all their activities have been carried out within the country’s legislation and still continue. And all their activities in the country are closely coordinated with the Republic Commission on International Humanitarian Aid chaired by Ali Hasanov and have been continued through interaction, giving them all necessary information. Moreover, the IREX Azerbaijan office has always respected the requirements of Azerbaijani laws and set up its work in line with the legislation as well as the requirements of the law on approving the contract “On Cooperation Agreement on Facilitation of Aid between the Government of Azerbaijan and the Government of the United States of America” (approved on 18 July 2000)”.
Note that, arrest warrants had also been imposed on the bank accounts of the Oilman Rights Protection Committee (ORPC) chaired by Mirvari Gahramanli, the Legal Enlightenment Society chaired by Intigam Aliyev, the Legal Defense and Education Society chaired by Rasul Jafarov, and the Institute for Reporters Freedom and Safety chaired by Emin Huseynov.
Related news releases
- 07.12.2016AZN 1M allocated for construction of houses for 20 IDP families in Aghdam
- 06.12.2016Leyla Aliyeva: AMOR has done a great job in past eight years
- 06.12.2016Azerbaijan may reconsider status of refugees and IDPs
- 05.12.2016New deposits of gold, silver, copper discovered in Azerbaijan
- 05.12.2016Azerbaijan eyes fining drivers for misuse of disabled car stickers
- 04.12.2016Parkinson's disease linked to gut bacteria: study
- 03.12.2016Journalist Khadija Ismayilova files appeals against court decisions
- 03.12.2016Ilham Aliyev launches Tartar city water supply and sanitation system
- 02.12.2016President Ilham Aliyev: "All our steps are of social nature"
- 02.12.2016President Ilham Aliyev viewed newly renovated Zardab District Central Hospital
- 02.12.2016Court continues trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official - UPDATED
- 02.12.2016Prosecutor seeks nine years for ex-Azerbaijani footballer
- 02.12.2016Azerbaijani Education Ministry clarifies non-recognition of diplomas granted via distance learning abroad
- 02.12.2016Azerbaijani MP objects to suspension of subsidies to local executive authorities
- 02.12.2016Council of Rectors to be established in Azerbaijan
- 01.12.2016President Ilham Aliyev awards group of ICT professionals
- 01.12.2016Azerbaijani population will exceed 9.8 million as at end of 2017 - minister
- 01.12.2016WHO: 'HIV cases reach over 2 million for the first time in Europe’
- 01.12.2016Saudi Arabia sends over 37 tons of meat for Azerbaijani IDPs
- 01.12.2016Azerbaijan launches digital broadcasting in several districts
- 30.11.2016Kemaleddin Heydarov meets with Iran’s ICT minister
- 30.11.2016Court continues trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-employees
- 30.11.2016Five leopard cubs born in Azerbaijan - VIDEO
- 30.11.2016December weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 29.11.2016AZN 30M allocated for implementation of pilot project on compulsory health insurance in Azerbaijan
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani parliament approves draft law on combating doping
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijan to authorize search operations to be conducted without witnesses
- 29.11.2016Advertisements in foreign languages is obstacle to development of Azerbaijani language, MP says
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijan modifies law on organ transplantation
- 29.11.2016Tariff Council: Price change on public transport is not on agenda
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijan declares days off over Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha for 2017
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijan to have 9 non-working days on Novruz Holiday
- 28.11.2016Tariff Council differentiates tariffs for utilities
- 28.11.2016About 1,000 maternal death facts recorded in Azerbaijan in past 25 years
- 28.11.2016The Queen’s 90th Birthday: Celebratory book launched at Windsor Castle November
- 28.11.2016Azerbaijani desire for peace highlighted at International Peace and Sport Forum in Monaco
- 28.11.2016About 14,000 Azerbaijan citizens study in Russian high schools
- 28.11.2016Nearly 90,000 students in Azerbaijan receive education in Russian: minister
- 26.11.2016Azerbaijani chalet opens for second consecutive year at Mulhouse’s legendary Christmas market
- 26.11.2016Dry weather forecasted in Azerbaijan for tomorrow
- 06.08.201433,623 applicants admitted to higher schools in Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 08.08.2014SSAC announces remaining vacancies for master’s degree at higher schools
- 11.08.2014Azerbaijan reveals malignant tumors of which organs men and woman suffer from most
- 04.08.2014Azerbaijan makes public number of children aged 14-18 who committed crimes
- 30.07.2014180 employees of penitentiary service face disciplinary proceedings, another 19 dismissed from justice bodies
- 30.07.2014Weather forecast for August in Azerbaijan