More seven NGO bank accounts frozen
Baku. Ramiz Mikayiloglu – APA. By the decisions of the district courts, bank accounts of a number of non-governmental organizations (NGO) were frozen upon the application of the General Prosecutor’s Office.
APA reports that Media Rights Institute chaired by Rashid Hajili, Democratic Institutions and Human Rights Public Union chaired by Elchin Abdullayev, Democracy and Human Rights Resource Center chaired by Asabali Mustafayev, Azerbaijan Lawyers Association chaired by Annagi Hajibayli, Center for National and International Studies chaired by Leyla Aliyeva, the Public Association for Assistance to Free Economy headed by Zohrab Ismail are among those NGOs.
Applications of the General Prosecutor’s Office to the court regarding the NGOs are mainly in the same context. According to the applications, the criminal case is investigated with the Criminal Code’s articles #308.1 and #313 on the facts of the violation of law in the activities of Azerbaijan’s some NGOs and branches and representative offices of foreign NGOs. As the representations of the German Marshall Fund of the United States, International Research & Exchanges Board (IREX), Open Society Institute Assistance Foundation of the Principality of Liechtenstein in Azerbaijan and the U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan transferred large amount of funds to the bank accounts of these NGOs and there are evidences that those funds are subject of crime, it was demanded to arrest these bank accounts within the criminal procedure course to ensure complete, comprehensive and objective investigation, further confiscation of criminally obtained funds and to prevent the alienation. District courts also made judgment on the arrest of these bank accounts within the criminal procedure course.
Personal accounts of R.Hajili, E.Abdullayev and Z.Ismayil were also frozen.
Head of Legal Education Society, Intigam Aliyev whose bank account was frozen earlier and Z.Ismayil confirmed to the APA that banks accounts of the mentioned NGOs and persons have been frozen.
Bank account of the IREX Azerbaijan office has been frozen unilaterally, lawyer of the IREX Alasgar Mammadli told APA. According to him, it became impossible to withdraw funds out of the bank account. Mammadli said the company’s activities are transparent. He also said he hopes investigations will come to an end by November 1 and the arrest warrant on the bank account will be dropped: “The IREX Azerbaijan office states that all their activities have been carried out within the country’s legislation and still continue. And all their activities in the country are closely coordinated with the Republic Commission on International Humanitarian Aid chaired by Ali Hasanov and have been continued through interaction, giving them all necessary information. Moreover, the IREX Azerbaijan office has always respected the requirements of Azerbaijani laws and set up its work in line with the legislation as well as the requirements of the law on approving the contract “On Cooperation Agreement on Facilitation of Aid between the Government of Azerbaijan and the Government of the United States of America” (approved on 18 July 2000)”.
Note that, arrest warrants had also been imposed on the bank accounts of the Oilman Rights Protection Committee (ORPC) chaired by Mirvari Gahramanli, the Legal Enlightenment Society chaired by Intigam Aliyev, the Legal Defense and Education Society chaired by Rasul Jafarov, and the Institute for Reporters Freedom and Safety chaired by Emin Huseynov.
Related news releases
- 16.01.2017Azerbaijan revokes citizenship of 58 people involved in terrorism abroad
- 16.01.2017Five deans of Azerbaijani University of Languages sacked
- 16.01.2017NIDA member sentenced to 5.5 years in prison
- 16.01.20172017 lunar eclipses to be visible in Azerbaijan
- 16.01.2017Complaints related to fake diplomas decreasing in Azerbaijan
- 14.01.2017Thalassemia-related mortality down in Azerbaijan over last decade
- 13.01.2017Azerbaijan considers changing adoption rules
- 13.01.2017Turkish Higher Education Council explains reasons for non-recognition of Qafqaz University diplomas
- 13.01.2017Azerbaijani ombudsperson issues statement on 27th anniversary of January 20 tragedy
- 12.01.2017Azerbaijan names new deputy education minister - EXCLUSIVE
- 11.01.2017Azerbaijani Copyright Agency issues statement about another intellectual property theft by Armenians
- 11.01.2017About 1,700 babies die in Azerbaijan per year
- 11.01.2017Azerbaijan’s state oil fund to allocate over 29M manats for study abroad program
- 11.01.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of residential building for MES officers in Nakhchivan
- 11.01.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official accused of embezzlement
- 10.01.2017Prison term prolonged for Azerbaijan’s ex-minister
- 10.01.2017Blogger Mehman Huseynov fined 200 manats - UPDATED
- 09.01.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial rescheduled to Jan. 11 - UPDATED
- 08.01.2017State Committee: Underage Nuray experienced serious stress in the incident
- 07.01.2017The Ministry of Justice disseminates information about the incident in the Guba district court
- 07.01.2017Foreigners to use passports for paying penalties electronically
- 07.01.2017State Committee: Incident occurred in Guba district court under investigation
- 06.01.2017Azerbaijan concludes investigation into 201 criminal cases involving 313 officials
- 06.01.2017Azerbaijan dismisses 8 from prosecuting authorities
- 05.01.2017Prosecutor seeks six-year sentence for NIDA member
- 05.01.2017Victim reveals interesting details in his testimony on case against Azerbaijani security ministry’s ex-employees
- 05.01.2017New human organ discovered
- 02.01.2017Search-and-rescue staff: Search for missing oilmen continues
- 30.12.2016Azerbaijan eyes creating e-health program
- 30.12.2016Ex-employee of CMO jailed for 10 years on treason charges
- 30.12.2016Azerbaijan to abolish paper correspondence between state agencies
- 30.12.2016Wiretapping was carried out upon minister's order: Natavan Mirvatova
- 30.12.2016Witnesses testify in trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 30.12.2016January weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 29.12.2016President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of social rehabilitation centers for people with disabilities in Zabrat district
- 29.12.2016President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Children's Rehabilitation Center in Baku
- 29.12.2016Saftar Hajiyev awarded order “For Service to the Motherland”
- 29.12.2016Imprisoned generals of liquidated Azerbaijani security ministry to stand trial in January - UPDATED
- 29.12.2016Over 90% of domestic violence crimes in Azerbaijan committed by people with secondary education
- 29.12.2016Emergencies ministry shifts to enhanced working mode
- 06.08.201433,623 applicants admitted to higher schools in Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 08.08.2014SSAC announces remaining vacancies for master’s degree at higher schools
- 11.08.2014Azerbaijan reveals malignant tumors of which organs men and woman suffer from most
- 04.08.2014Azerbaijan makes public number of children aged 14-18 who committed crimes
- 30.07.2014180 employees of penitentiary service face disciplinary proceedings, another 19 dismissed from justice bodies
- 30.07.2014Weather forecast for August in Azerbaijan