More seven NGO bank accounts frozen
Baku. Ramiz Mikayiloglu – APA. By the decisions of the district courts, bank accounts of a number of non-governmental organizations (NGO) were frozen upon the application of the General Prosecutor’s Office.
APA reports that Media Rights Institute chaired by Rashid Hajili, Democratic Institutions and Human Rights Public Union chaired by Elchin Abdullayev, Democracy and Human Rights Resource Center chaired by Asabali Mustafayev, Azerbaijan Lawyers Association chaired by Annagi Hajibayli, Center for National and International Studies chaired by Leyla Aliyeva, the Public Association for Assistance to Free Economy headed by Zohrab Ismail are among those NGOs.
Applications of the General Prosecutor’s Office to the court regarding the NGOs are mainly in the same context. According to the applications, the criminal case is investigated with the Criminal Code’s articles #308.1 and #313 on the facts of the violation of law in the activities of Azerbaijan’s some NGOs and branches and representative offices of foreign NGOs. As the representations of the German Marshall Fund of the United States, International Research & Exchanges Board (IREX), Open Society Institute Assistance Foundation of the Principality of Liechtenstein in Azerbaijan and the U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan transferred large amount of funds to the bank accounts of these NGOs and there are evidences that those funds are subject of crime, it was demanded to arrest these bank accounts within the criminal procedure course to ensure complete, comprehensive and objective investigation, further confiscation of criminally obtained funds and to prevent the alienation. District courts also made judgment on the arrest of these bank accounts within the criminal procedure course.
Personal accounts of R.Hajili, E.Abdullayev and Z.Ismayil were also frozen.
Head of Legal Education Society, Intigam Aliyev whose bank account was frozen earlier and Z.Ismayil confirmed to the APA that banks accounts of the mentioned NGOs and persons have been frozen.
Bank account of the IREX Azerbaijan office has been frozen unilaterally, lawyer of the IREX Alasgar Mammadli told APA. According to him, it became impossible to withdraw funds out of the bank account. Mammadli said the company’s activities are transparent. He also said he hopes investigations will come to an end by November 1 and the arrest warrant on the bank account will be dropped: “The IREX Azerbaijan office states that all their activities have been carried out within the country’s legislation and still continue. And all their activities in the country are closely coordinated with the Republic Commission on International Humanitarian Aid chaired by Ali Hasanov and have been continued through interaction, giving them all necessary information. Moreover, the IREX Azerbaijan office has always respected the requirements of Azerbaijani laws and set up its work in line with the legislation as well as the requirements of the law on approving the contract “On Cooperation Agreement on Facilitation of Aid between the Government of Azerbaijan and the Government of the United States of America” (approved on 18 July 2000)”.
Note that, arrest warrants had also been imposed on the bank accounts of the Oilman Rights Protection Committee (ORPC) chaired by Mirvari Gahramanli, the Legal Enlightenment Society chaired by Intigam Aliyev, the Legal Defense and Education Society chaired by Rasul Jafarov, and the Institute for Reporters Freedom and Safety chaired by Emin Huseynov.
Related news releases
- 21.07.2016Qafqaz University began to operate under management of Baku Higher Oil School, says rector
- 20.07.2016Qafqaz University will continue its work under management of Baku Higher Oil School, says rector
- 20.07.2016Qafqaz University placed under full management of Baku Higher Oil School, says rector
- 20.07.2016Qafqaz University placed under management of Baku Higher Oil School
- 20.07.2016Qafqaz University in Azerbaijan shut down
- 19.07.2016Hearing starts on case of Taleh Baghirov, Fuad Gahramanli
- 18.07.2016Meteorologists warn of anticipated hot weather in Azerbaijan
- 18.07.2016Air temperature above normal in Azerbaijan
- 15.07.2016SSAC to appeal to Tariff Council in connection with paid exams
- 15.07.2016Azerbaijan completes investigation of over 100 criminal cases on corruption facts
- 14.07.2016Electricity tariffs increased in Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2016Azerbaijani education minister comments on proposal to make entrance exams paid
- 14.07.2016Air temperature to reach 38 C in Azerbaijan tomorrow
- 14.07.2016Number of Azerbaijani population announced
- 13.07.2016Dwarf planet discovered in solar system
- 13.07.201681-year old physician dismissed over patient death in Sumgayit
- 13.07.2016Preparatory groups to be open in secondary schools of Azerbaijan for the 5-year-olds
- 12.07.20165.2-magnitude earthquake hits Georgia, tremors felt in Azerbaijan
- 12.07.2016Baku court partially upholds former MP’s appeal on leaving country
- 11.07.2016Azerbaijan sees rise in average life expectancy
- 11.07.2016AIDS epidemic no longer a public health issue, scientists say
- 09.07.2016Azerbaijan and 4 countries appeal to UNESCO on Armenia’s claim over lavash
- 09.07.2016Minister: Inherited blood diseases found in 7% of couples wanting to marry
- 09.07.2016Health minister: 40% of newborns weighing more than 500 grams are saved in Azerbaijan
- 09.07.20162,282 foreigners deported from Azerbaijan in June
- 08.07.2016Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Ujar
- 06.07.201610 children were adopted in Azerbaijan last year
- 06.07.2016Gallup: 85 percent of Azerbaijani people willing to fight for their country
- 06.07.2016Azerbaijan unrecognizes 571 foreign diplomas
- 06.07.2016Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Ujar
- 06.07.2016Scientists want to implant visions in the human brain
- 05.07.2016Iran urges Armenia to prevent Araz River pollution
- 05.07.2016Decomposing baby corpse found at roadside in Azerbaijan
- 05.07.2016Entrance exam on fifth specialty group underway in Azerbaijan
- 04.07.2016Director, surgeon of Baku hospital dismissed over wrong amputation case
- 04.07.2016Azerbaijani SSAC announces statistics of latest final exam results
- 02.07.201698th anniversary of Azerbaijani police
- 01.07.2016No pardon decree expected in near future: Azerbaijani PA
- 01.07.2016Damage suffered by Azerbaijani IDPs during April fighting compensated at public expense
- 01.07.2016UN resident coordinator: Azerbaijan made progress in institutional development
- 06.08.201433,623 applicants admitted to higher schools in Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 08.08.2014SSAC announces remaining vacancies for master’s degree at higher schools
- 11.08.2014Azerbaijan reveals malignant tumors of which organs men and woman suffer from most
- 04.08.2014Azerbaijan makes public number of children aged 14-18 who committed crimes
- 30.07.2014180 employees of penitentiary service face disciplinary proceedings, another 19 dismissed from justice bodies
- 30.07.2014Weather forecast for August in Azerbaijan