More seven NGO bank accounts frozen
Baku. Ramiz Mikayiloglu – APA. By the decisions of the district courts, bank accounts of a number of non-governmental organizations (NGO) were frozen upon the application of the General Prosecutor’s Office.
APA reports that Media Rights Institute chaired by Rashid Hajili, Democratic Institutions and Human Rights Public Union chaired by Elchin Abdullayev, Democracy and Human Rights Resource Center chaired by Asabali Mustafayev, Azerbaijan Lawyers Association chaired by Annagi Hajibayli, Center for National and International Studies chaired by Leyla Aliyeva, the Public Association for Assistance to Free Economy headed by Zohrab Ismail are among those NGOs.
Applications of the General Prosecutor’s Office to the court regarding the NGOs are mainly in the same context. According to the applications, the criminal case is investigated with the Criminal Code’s articles #308.1 and #313 on the facts of the violation of law in the activities of Azerbaijan’s some NGOs and branches and representative offices of foreign NGOs. As the representations of the German Marshall Fund of the United States, International Research & Exchanges Board (IREX), Open Society Institute Assistance Foundation of the Principality of Liechtenstein in Azerbaijan and the U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan transferred large amount of funds to the bank accounts of these NGOs and there are evidences that those funds are subject of crime, it was demanded to arrest these bank accounts within the criminal procedure course to ensure complete, comprehensive and objective investigation, further confiscation of criminally obtained funds and to prevent the alienation. District courts also made judgment on the arrest of these bank accounts within the criminal procedure course.
Personal accounts of R.Hajili, E.Abdullayev and Z.Ismayil were also frozen.
Head of Legal Education Society, Intigam Aliyev whose bank account was frozen earlier and Z.Ismayil confirmed to the APA that banks accounts of the mentioned NGOs and persons have been frozen.
Bank account of the IREX Azerbaijan office has been frozen unilaterally, lawyer of the IREX Alasgar Mammadli told APA. According to him, it became impossible to withdraw funds out of the bank account. Mammadli said the company’s activities are transparent. He also said he hopes investigations will come to an end by November 1 and the arrest warrant on the bank account will be dropped: “The IREX Azerbaijan office states that all their activities have been carried out within the country’s legislation and still continue. And all their activities in the country are closely coordinated with the Republic Commission on International Humanitarian Aid chaired by Ali Hasanov and have been continued through interaction, giving them all necessary information. Moreover, the IREX Azerbaijan office has always respected the requirements of Azerbaijani laws and set up its work in line with the legislation as well as the requirements of the law on approving the contract “On Cooperation Agreement on Facilitation of Aid between the Government of Azerbaijan and the Government of the United States of America” (approved on 18 July 2000)”.
Note that, arrest warrants had also been imposed on the bank accounts of the Oilman Rights Protection Committee (ORPC) chaired by Mirvari Gahramanli, the Legal Enlightenment Society chaired by Intigam Aliyev, the Legal Defense and Education Society chaired by Rasul Jafarov, and the Institute for Reporters Freedom and Safety chaired by Emin Huseynov.
Related news releases
- 19.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev awards power engineering specialists
- 19.10.2016Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov meets with governor of Iran’s Ardabil
- 19.10.2016Unsteady weather to continue in Azerbaijan
- 18.10.2016ANAS: Azerbaijan’s administrative-territorial division should be changed
- 17.10.2016Number of Azerbaijani population announced
- 17.10.2016Azerbaijani population reaches 9.77 million
- 17.10.2016One of largest avenues in Baku closed to traffic due to heavy rains
- 17.10.20167 substances proposed to be banned in Azerbaijan as illegal drugs
- 17.10.2016Ashura blood donor found infected with HIV: Azerbaijani Health Ministry
- 17.10.2016Azerbaijani Education Ministry: diagnostic assessment of teachers to be held in 26 districts
- 15.10.2016138 people killed in traffic accidents in Baku this year
- 15.10.2016Deputy PM: Even in case of significant change in manat rate, drug importers not to face serious problems
- 15.10.2016200 employees of Azerbaijan Teachers’ Institute employed at Pedagogical University
- 14.10.2016President: Azerbaijan intends to develop pharmaceutical industry
- 12.10.2016US, Azerbaijan improve water supply in Guba
- 12.10.2016CMO chairman donates blood on Ashura Day
- 12.10.2016Azerbaijan to ban import of medicines with instructions in foreign language
- 12.10.2016Presidential Administration: Migrants attempting to illegally enter Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2016Azerbaijan launches blood donation campaign over Ashura Day
- 11.10.2016Azerbaijan’s Penitentiary Service announces staff change
- 11.10.2016Azerbaijan increases monthly allowance for national heroes
- 11.10.2016Azerbaijan’s Tariff Council to specify amount of fee for participation in civil service exams
- 10.10.2016More people in Azerbaijan seek psychological assistance after manat devaluation
- 07.10.201610th Int’l Education Exhibition kicks off in Baku
- 06.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev grants young talents special stipend
- 06.10.2016Azerbaijani Justice Ministry, ICRC expand collaboration
- 06.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new park complex in Baku
- 06.10.2016Azerbaijan to purchase new decoders in connection with transition to digital broadcasting
- 06.10.2016US-Azerbaijan celebrate new medical facility in Beylagan
- 05.10.2016About 110,000 people undergo premarital examination in Azerbaijan since early 2016
- 05.10.2016Nobel Prize in chemistry given to three scientists for building 'molecular machines'
- 05.10.20164-magnitude quake hits Caspian Sea
- 05.10.2016Azerbaijan electronizes pharmacies, hospitals
- 05.10.2016Today is World Teachers' Day
- 04.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on employees of educational facilities
- 04.10.2016Leopard cubs caught on camera in Azerbaijan
- 04.10.2016Sumgayit executive authority head awarded order "For Service to Motherland"
- 04.10.2016Honorary titles conferred on group of people for contributions to development of Azerbaijan’s Sumgayit
- 04.10.20162016 Nobel laureates in physics announced
- 04.10.2016Azerbaijan creating common database for disabled children
- 14.10.2016Azerbaijan defines educational benefits for children deprived of parental care
- 14.10.2016Unsteady weather forecasted in Azerbaijan in coming days
- 14.10.2016Two tons of illegal drugs seized in Azerbaijan
- 13.10.2016Azerbaijan’s Emergencies Ministry holds command and staff exercise
- 13.10.2016EU, CoE to carry projects for journalists, court staff, employees of administrative authorities in Azerbaijan
- 13.10.2016Book dedicated to 25th anniversary of Azerbaijan’s independence presented in Baku