Ministry: Burial site of Guba Genocide Memorial Complex undergoing erosion
The burial site of the Guba Genocide Memorial Complex is undergoing erosion, Aziz Garalov, head of a geological planning expedition of the National Geological Exploration Service of the Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources, told APA.
According to Garalov, the Complex sits on a terrace caused by the River Gudyalchay, north of Guba city.
“The slope on the right bank of the river has eroded into a terrace. The slope is not solid enough and is therefore undergoing erosion. The burial part has a roof cover and a wall made of plastic material. Due to season fluctuations in temperature, the soil keeps shrinking and expanding, which causes temperature cracks,” he said.
Garalov added that if this process lasts for a long time, the soil splits into pieces.
“A commission has already been appointed to tackle the problem. They will examine the area and try to come up with a resolution,” he said.
In recent days, due to natural processes, human bones remaining in the open air on the graveyard of the Guba Genocide Memorial Complex began to decompose, erosion and landslides on the territory became intensified.
According to the order, a commission was set up to study the current situation and prepare relevant proposals.
Assistant to the Azerbaijani President for Public and Political Issues, Department Head Ali Hasanov was appointed chairman of the commission.
The members of the commission are Vide-President of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS), Chairman of the parliamentary Committee of science and education Isa Habibbeyli, Director of the Institute of History of ANAS, MP Yagub Mahmudov, Chairman of the State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations Mubariz Gurbanli, First Deputy Minister of Culture and Tourism of Azerbaijan Vagif Aliyev, Azerbaijan’s Deputy Minister of Ecology and Natural Resources Firdovsi Aliyev, Azerbaijan's Deputy Minister of Justice Togrul Musayev, Deputy Head of the Department of Humanitarian Policy Issues of Azerbaijan’s Presidential Administration Seymur Fataliyev, Head of Guba District Executive Power Yashar Mammadov and Head of Azerbaijan National NGO Forum Rauf Zeyni.
The commission is to present to the Presidential Administration within a month the results of the study and proposals on the forthcoming work.
Related news releases
- 20.10.2017Applicants to take entrance exams in two groups this academic year in Azerbaijan
- 20.10.2017Ambassador Cekuta: About 7,000 Azerbaijanis received education in U.S. over 25-year period of diplomatic relations
- 20.10.2017In Azerbaijan, final exams to be held once, but entrance exams more than once under new model
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament excludes 3 issues from agenda
- 20.10.2017AZN 50.5 mln allocated for IDPs who don’t have access to gas supply
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani SEC: In 2019 maximum point in university entrance exams will be 400
- 20.10.2017Education expenditure in Azerbaijan’s draft state budget 2018 exceeds AZN 2 bln
- 20.10.2017Teachers’ diagnostic assessment in Azerbaijan to end next year
- 20.10.2017AZN 5M to be allocated to mark 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 20.10.2017People’s Artist Rafig Huseynov to be taken to Germany for treatment
- 19.10.201770 people brought to responsibility in Baku for auto-hooliganism
- 19.10.2017U.S., Azerbaijan improve water supply, livestock management for residents of Zardab and Aghjabadi
- 18.10.2017Spectators to be provided with buses following Qarabag-Atletico Madrid football match
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan registers 390 HIV-positive people in 2017
- 18.10.2017Documentary “Objective Baku: How Hitler Lost the Battle for Oil” screened in London
- 18.10.2017Increase in male victims of human trafficking, IOM says
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan considers amendment to Criminal Code regarding postponement of sentence for some prisoners
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan defines upper and lowers limits of new penalty for juvenile delinquency
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan’s trade representatives abroad to be paid in amount of 90 percent of ambassador’s salary
- 16.10.2017Interior Minister: Situation with sexual minorities in Azerbaijan no different from that in most European states
- 16.10.2017ANAS proposes businesses undertake to finance development of science in country
- 13.10.2017"IMAGINE" Euro Tolerance Festival 2017 kicks off in Baku
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijan set to abrogate imprisonment for illegal trafficking of medications
- 13.10.2017ANAS says statement by Institute of History on map crisis does not reflect its position
- 13.10.2017U.S., Azerbaijan improve irrigation in Saatli
- 13.10.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 13.10.20174-year-old Azerbaijani child rescued from ISIL in Iraq brought home
- 12.10.2017ANAS Institute of History issues statement on map crisis
- 12.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards railway workers
- 11.10.2017New generation vaccine developed against malaria: Azerbaijani scientist
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijan develops life expectancy map
- 10.10.2017Premarital examination: 240 diagnosed with thalassemia, 7 with AIDS in Azerbaijan
- 10.10.2017Strong magnetic storm to hit Earth
- 09.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Sometimes there are delays in execution of actions relating to Strategic Road Maps
- 09.10.2017Historian: ‘Greater Armenia’ map in history textbook may have been published for insidious purpose
- 09.10.2017Azerbaijan conducts serious fight against corruption, cybercrime: Deputy Prosecutor General
- 06.10.2017Project ‘Italian language week’ presented in Baku
- 06.10.2017Ambassador: From among EU countries, Italy is where most Azerbaijani students choose to pursue their study
- 06.10.2017Some Ashura blood donators found to be infected with HIV, Hepatitis, Syphilis: Health Ministry
- 06.10.2017Nobel Peace Prize 2017 awarded to International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons
- 09.06.2017UN: Azerbaijan pays special attention to gender equality
- 09.06.2017Accreditation of four universities approved in Azerbaijan
- 09.06.2017Ali Hasanov: Proposals on problem with Guba Genocide Memorial Complex to be presented to Azerbaijani president
- 08.06.2017Nobel laureate Aziz Sancar to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.06.2017Project “EU Support to Vocational Education and Training in Azerbaijan” presented in Baku
- 07.06.2017‘Red notice’ to be issued for people who committed acts of corruption in ECO states