Ministry: Burial site of Guba Genocide Memorial Complex undergoing erosion
The burial site of the Guba Genocide Memorial Complex is undergoing erosion, Aziz Garalov, head of a geological planning expedition of the National Geological Exploration Service of the Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources, told APA.
According to Garalov, the Complex sits on a terrace caused by the River Gudyalchay, north of Guba city.
“The slope on the right bank of the river has eroded into a terrace. The slope is not solid enough and is therefore undergoing erosion. The burial part has a roof cover and a wall made of plastic material. Due to season fluctuations in temperature, the soil keeps shrinking and expanding, which causes temperature cracks,” he said.
Garalov added that if this process lasts for a long time, the soil splits into pieces.
“A commission has already been appointed to tackle the problem. They will examine the area and try to come up with a resolution,” he said.
In recent days, due to natural processes, human bones remaining in the open air on the graveyard of the Guba Genocide Memorial Complex began to decompose, erosion and landslides on the territory became intensified.
According to the order, a commission was set up to study the current situation and prepare relevant proposals.
Assistant to the Azerbaijani President for Public and Political Issues, Department Head Ali Hasanov was appointed chairman of the commission.
The members of the commission are Vide-President of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS), Chairman of the parliamentary Committee of science and education Isa Habibbeyli, Director of the Institute of History of ANAS, MP Yagub Mahmudov, Chairman of the State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations Mubariz Gurbanli, First Deputy Minister of Culture and Tourism of Azerbaijan Vagif Aliyev, Azerbaijan’s Deputy Minister of Ecology and Natural Resources Firdovsi Aliyev, Azerbaijan's Deputy Minister of Justice Togrul Musayev, Deputy Head of the Department of Humanitarian Policy Issues of Azerbaijan’s Presidential Administration Seymur Fataliyev, Head of Guba District Executive Power Yashar Mammadov and Head of Azerbaijan National NGO Forum Rauf Zeyni.
The commission is to present to the Presidential Administration within a month the results of the study and proposals on the forthcoming work.
Related news releases
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijan to amend law on education
- 21.05.2018Teachers to undergo certification testing in Azerbaijan
- 19.05.2018Weather forecast for May 20
- 18.05.2018Newspaper Echo closing down
- 18.05.2018More than 900 people die of HIV in Azerbaijan over past 31 years
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s SEC to hold TOEFL IBT and SAT exams
- 18.05.2018193 diagnosed with HIV in Azerbaijan in 2018, 16 mortalities reported
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan’s Minister of Ecology and Natural Resources has received a BP delegation.
- 17.05.2018Much remains to be done to solve IDPs’ problems in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC chairperson comments on suicides of two applicants
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan SEC gives applicants opportunity to change specialty groups
- 17.05.2018Carpet weaved during period of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic put on display
- 17.05.2018Bodies of Azerbaijani mountaineers handed over to families
- 16.05.2018U.S. citizens traveling by AZAL's New York-Baku flight to be granted ASAN Visa
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijani Cabinet of Ministers mulls strengthening control over illicit medicine trade
- 16.05.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new building of Nakhchivan Teachers Institute
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates secondary school in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev launches start of reconstruction of water supply system in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC announces results of entrance exams on 2nd and 3rd specialty groups
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijani president inaugurates new building of Heydar Aliyev Modern Educational Complex - UPDATED
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan creates organizing committee to hold European Youth Olympic Festival
- 15.05.2018Amount of fee for ASAN visas offered at Azerbaijani airports determined
- 15.05.2018Over 430,000 foreigners granted Azerbaijani visas via ASAN Visa since January 2017
- 15.05.2018ASAN Visa system launched at Baku’s Heydar Aliyev International Airport
- 14.05.2018Evasion from paying unemployment insurance and mandatory state social insurance to entail criminal liability
- 12.05.2018Traffic movement to be restricted in center of Baku tomorrow
- 12.05.2018Lightning, heavy rain expected in some places tomorrow
- 11.05.2018ITV Director General Jamil Guliyev removed from duty
- 11.05.2018"Sevdiyim" project presented in Azerbaijan
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC to hold entrance exams on 2nd and 3rd specialty groups on May 13
- 10.05.2018Unknown predators found in Azerbaijan’s Ismayilli
- 09.05.2018MENR reveals causes of strong odor in Baku’s atmosphere
- 09.05.2018Weather forecast for May 10
- 09.05.2018Traffic to be restricted in some streets and avenues of Baku on May 10
- 08.05.2018Police salaries increased 16-fold in last 15 years – interior minister
- 07.05.2018Kamran Imanov appointed chairman of Board of Intellectual Property Agency
- 07.05.2018Torture in prisons discussed at EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting in Baku
- 07.05.2018Top official: Freedom of speech and press ensured in Azerbaijan
- 07.05.2018Azerbaijani official: Counterfeit drugs trade – one of most serious crimes
- 09.06.2017UN: Azerbaijan pays special attention to gender equality
- 09.06.2017Accreditation of four universities approved in Azerbaijan
- 09.06.2017Ali Hasanov: Proposals on problem with Guba Genocide Memorial Complex to be presented to Azerbaijani president
- 08.06.2017Nobel laureate Aziz Sancar to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.06.2017Project “EU Support to Vocational Education and Training in Azerbaijan” presented in Baku
- 07.06.2017‘Red notice’ to be issued for people who committed acts of corruption in ECO states