Ministry: Burial site of Guba Genocide Memorial Complex undergoing erosion
The burial site of the Guba Genocide Memorial Complex is undergoing erosion, Aziz Garalov, head of a geological planning expedition of the National Geological Exploration Service of the Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources, told APA.
According to Garalov, the Complex sits on a terrace caused by the River Gudyalchay, north of Guba city.
“The slope on the right bank of the river has eroded into a terrace. The slope is not solid enough and is therefore undergoing erosion. The burial part has a roof cover and a wall made of plastic material. Due to season fluctuations in temperature, the soil keeps shrinking and expanding, which causes temperature cracks,” he said.
Garalov added that if this process lasts for a long time, the soil splits into pieces.
“A commission has already been appointed to tackle the problem. They will examine the area and try to come up with a resolution,” he said.
In recent days, due to natural processes, human bones remaining in the open air on the graveyard of the Guba Genocide Memorial Complex began to decompose, erosion and landslides on the territory became intensified.
According to the order, a commission was set up to study the current situation and prepare relevant proposals.
Assistant to the Azerbaijani President for Public and Political Issues, Department Head Ali Hasanov was appointed chairman of the commission.
The members of the commission are Vide-President of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS), Chairman of the parliamentary Committee of science and education Isa Habibbeyli, Director of the Institute of History of ANAS, MP Yagub Mahmudov, Chairman of the State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations Mubariz Gurbanli, First Deputy Minister of Culture and Tourism of Azerbaijan Vagif Aliyev, Azerbaijan’s Deputy Minister of Ecology and Natural Resources Firdovsi Aliyev, Azerbaijan's Deputy Minister of Justice Togrul Musayev, Deputy Head of the Department of Humanitarian Policy Issues of Azerbaijan’s Presidential Administration Seymur Fataliyev, Head of Guba District Executive Power Yashar Mammadov and Head of Azerbaijan National NGO Forum Rauf Zeyni.
The commission is to present to the Presidential Administration within a month the results of the study and proposals on the forthcoming work.
Related news releases
- 14.12.2017State Program on Development of Inclusive Education for People with Disabilities approved
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry holds board meeting on its 12th anniversary
- 14.12.2017Winners of “Emergency Situations Through The Eyes of Children” competition awarded
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijan prohibits changing of specialty in master’s degree
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijan developing concept of cadaveric organ transplantation
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijan specifies conditions in which students will get academic vacation
- 12.12.2017Abbas Alasgarov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 11.12.2017Traffic to be restricted in some streets and avenues of Baku on Dec. 12
- 08.12.2017Tariff Council approves prices of more than 300 registered medicines
- 08.12.2017Book titled “Splendor and Misery of Leyla Yunus” presented
- 08.12.2017Anar Baghirov: Bar Association was partly responsible for delay in lawyer admissions
- 07.12.2017Criminal elements detected in activities of 23 municipalities
- 07.12.2017Several human rights defenders appeal to President Ilham Aliyev
- 07.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Another 10 carpet weaving factories to open in Azerbaijan next year
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan specifies non-working days for next year's holidays
- 07.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: "ASAN Service" is most effective tool against corruption, bribery
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Flag Museum in Guba
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates ‘ASAN heyat’ complex in Guba
- 07.12.2017New chairman of Azerbaijan’s Bar Association elected
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends ground breaking ceremony of highway to be built on Azerbaijan-Russia state border
- 06.12.2017Citizens of OIC countries to get grants for education in Azerbaijan
- 06.12.2017Javanshir Gurbanov awarded Order ‘For Service to the Motherland’
- 06.12.2017About 80 percent of Azerbaijani citizens optimistic about the country's future
- 05.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards workers of communication and high-tech sector
- 05.12.2017Number of Nakhchivan’s population publicized
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan postpones election of new ombudsperson
- 04.12.2017Baku’s population nears 2.6 million
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan Business Case Competition 2017 wraps up
- 02.12.2017Weather forecast for tomorrow
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan increases duties on reissue of lost and deteriorated international passports and ID cards
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan modifying conditions for selection of pretrial detention type
- 01.12.2017MP Hasanguliyev: English-language TV channel should be created in Azerbaijan
- 01.12.2017Half of HIV-infected people in Europe is diagnosed late – WHO
- 01.12.2017Preliminary hearing held for APFP deputy chairperson accused of smuggling
- 01.12.2017MP: Half of men in Azerbaijan smoke
- 30.11.2017Deputy PM: Azerbaijan unlikely to adopt mandatory medical insurance in 1-2 years
- 30.11.2017Deputy PM: Unemployment rate high in trade and service areas
- 30.11.2017State Committee: Work underway to get Azerbaijani citizens back from Iraq
- 30.11.2017December weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 29.11.2017AZN 3M allocated for renovation works and capital repair of multi-apartment building in Tartar
- 09.06.2017UN: Azerbaijan pays special attention to gender equality
- 09.06.2017Accreditation of four universities approved in Azerbaijan
- 09.06.2017Ali Hasanov: Proposals on problem with Guba Genocide Memorial Complex to be presented to Azerbaijani president
- 08.06.2017Nobel laureate Aziz Sancar to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.06.2017Project “EU Support to Vocational Education and Training in Azerbaijan” presented in Baku
- 07.06.2017‘Red notice’ to be issued for people who committed acts of corruption in ECO states