Leyla Aliyeva: Food security, environment, and sustainable development are highly important for int’l coop
“Dialogue between cultures is one of the main conditions for peace,” Vice President of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation, Goodwill Ambassador of the UN Food and Agriculture Organization Leyla Aliyeva said during the session entitled "Food security and intercultural dialogue for a sustainable society: Continued development and core elements for peace” in the framework of 4th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue in Baku.
According to Aliyeva, Azerbaijan has for centuries been a place where representatives of various religions have coexisted peacefully. “That’s the usual way of life in Azerbaijan,” she added.
Aliyeva expressed her regrets that in the 21st century 870 million people are suffering from hunger and malnutrition. "A third of food is thrown away in the form of waste,” she said.
According to her, the international community should make efforts to ensure food security. "No country can solve the food problem alone, this requires constant dialogue,” said Aliyeva.
In her speech, she also spoke about the activities of the initiative IDEA, which she is the head of.
“Global security is vital. For this purpose, we created the IDEA organization, which has produced wonderful results in the last five years. We planted 5 million trees throughout the country, prevented gazelles from going entirely extinct, and taken measures to increase the numbers of the Caucasian leopard and the Caucasian bison. IDEA also carried out some work to clean the delta of the Kura River in order to protect the salmon. A few weeks ago, we created a fruit garden for needy families. We’re doing it in conjunction with FAO. We inhabit the same plane, no matter what our religions, races, or beliefs are.
Human activities disturb nature and bring on big catastrophes. I invite everyone to be always open for dialogue,” she said.
Related news releases
- 27.05.2017Ancient necropolis unearthed in Azerbaijan’s Shamakhy
- 26.05.2017Moon to come closest to Earth today
- 26.05.2017Azerbaijan to sack teachers with poor indicators of diagnostic assessment
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijan SEC announces dates of final and entrance exams
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijani State Commission addresses population over graves believed to be of missing persons
- 25.05.2017ANAS, Emergencies Ministry discuss issues of cooperation
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijani president approves Regulation on 'Subsidized housing' system
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijani SMS: Rules for employment of foreigners are sometimes violated
- 24.05.2017Number of foreigners coming to Azerbaijan on the rise
- 24.05.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Beylagan
- 24.05.2017Ali Abbasov receives new appointment
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijan, Romania to conduct examination in field of education
- 24.05.2017First Azerbaijan-Romania Inter-University Forum kicks off in Baku
- 23.05.2017Tariff Council specifies prices of paid services related to civil service
- 23.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan to see increase in tourist arrivals after Baku 2017
- 23.05.2017Traffic restriction on special lanes lifted in Baku
- 23.05.2017Registration for second participation in Azerbaijan university entrance exams over
- 22.05.2017Ibrahim Guliyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 22.05.2017Traffic ban on Baku 2017 ‘special lanes’ to be lifted on May 23
- 22.05.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Beylagan on May 24
- 22.05.2017Baku to host Azerbaijan-Romania Inter-University Forum
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijani emergencies ministry denies reports of staff reductions
- 20.05.2017French-Azerbaijani University announces admission of students
- 20.05.2017Illegal passenger transportation by buses prevented in Baku-Sumgayit highway
- 19.05.2017WHO: Azerbaijan had lowest suicide rate in Europe in 2015
- 19.05.2017Students in some Azerbaijani universities changed electronic exam grades
- 19.05.2017Health Ministry: 108 people diagnosed with HIV in Azerbaijan in 1Q 2017
- 18.05.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov meets ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijani Education Ministry to terminate employment contracts with teachers recruited without competition
- 17.05.2017Int’l seminar on human trafficking awareness kicks off in Vienna
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan launches campaign to aid Syrian children
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan’s population exceeds 9.8 million
- 17.05.2017More than 1.2 million adolescents die every year
- 17.05.2017Citizens of 12 more countries to use Azerbaijan’s ASAN Visa system
- 16.05.2017American Jewish community plans to invest in construction of Jewish school in Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani president confers honorary titles on persons who died of wounds sustained during 20 January events
- 16.05.2017NTRC: Broadcasting of foreign TV channels in Azerbaijan to be brought in line with standards
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan approves list of licensed services and work in field of private medicine
- 15.05.2017Presentation of ‘Asiada-2017’ held in Baku
- 15.05.2017Lawyer asks court to acquit Azerbaijan’s ex-health minister
- 06.05.2017Leyla Aliyeva: A peaceful, inclusive society can be achieved by eliminating poverty and hunger
- 06.05.20174th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue comes to a close
- 06.05.20174th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue attended by representatives of 123 countries
- 06.05.2017High level meeting ‘Countering violent extremism through girls’ education’ held within Baku forum
- 05.05.2017Book presented at World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue
- 05.05.2017Main State Traffic Police Department releases statement on upcoming Islamic Solidarity Games