Leyla Aliyeva: Food security, environment, and sustainable development are highly important for int’l coop
“Dialogue between cultures is one of the main conditions for peace,” Vice President of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation, Goodwill Ambassador of the UN Food and Agriculture Organization Leyla Aliyeva said during the session entitled "Food security and intercultural dialogue for a sustainable society: Continued development and core elements for peace” in the framework of 4th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue in Baku.
According to Aliyeva, Azerbaijan has for centuries been a place where representatives of various religions have coexisted peacefully. “That’s the usual way of life in Azerbaijan,” she added.
Aliyeva expressed her regrets that in the 21st century 870 million people are suffering from hunger and malnutrition. "A third of food is thrown away in the form of waste,” she said.
According to her, the international community should make efforts to ensure food security. "No country can solve the food problem alone, this requires constant dialogue,” said Aliyeva.
In her speech, she also spoke about the activities of the initiative IDEA, which she is the head of.
“Global security is vital. For this purpose, we created the IDEA organization, which has produced wonderful results in the last five years. We planted 5 million trees throughout the country, prevented gazelles from going entirely extinct, and taken measures to increase the numbers of the Caucasian leopard and the Caucasian bison. IDEA also carried out some work to clean the delta of the Kura River in order to protect the salmon. A few weeks ago, we created a fruit garden for needy families. We’re doing it in conjunction with FAO. We inhabit the same plane, no matter what our religions, races, or beliefs are.
Human activities disturb nature and bring on big catastrophes. I invite everyone to be always open for dialogue,” she said.
Related news releases
- 18.06.2018Weather forecast for June 19
- 16.06.2018“Mübarizlər” contest kicks off in Baku
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani MES hosts meeting with U.S. Oklahoma National Guard delegation
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan calculating compulsory health insurance fees
- 14.06.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani citizens to have 5 consecutive non-working days to mark Eid al-Fitr and National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani schools celebrate Day of Farewell Bell
- 13.06.2018Baku's bid to host World Expo 2025 presented at BIE
- 13.06.2018Human rights activist meets daycare worker detained for child maltreatment
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament passes bill on protecting children from harmful information
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan Education Ministry reveals number of transfers students in 2018
- 12.06.2018Over 140,000 educators undergo diagnostic assessment in Azerbaijan over past four years
- 12.06.2018225 Azerbaijani citizens qualified for study abroad in academic year 2017-18 academic year
- 12.06.2018ATDC accredited as Cambridge Professional Development Centre
- 11.06.2018Leyla Novruzova, who was promoted to BP's London office: I’m not very good in planning my career - INTERVIEW
- 08.06.2018Libraff bookstore opens in Baku
- 08.06.2018Weekend weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani representative elected member of UN Committee on Elimination of Discrimination against Women
- 08.06.2018Akif Alizadeh re-elected president of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences - UPDATED
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan has region’s most secure data center, minister says
- 08.06.2018Many products brought to Azerbaijan in plastic containers – ministry
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Migration Service launches new e-service for foreigners, stateless persons
- 08.06.2018Specialty selection for master's degree starts in Azerbaijan
- 08.06.2018New president of ANAS to be elected today
- 06.06.2018Strong, destructive earthquake not expected in Azerbaijan – top seismologist
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Bar Association rejects rumors on alleged bias towards lawyers with opposition views
- 06.06.2018Inauguration of new lawyers held in Azerbaijan
- 06.06.2018No causalities reported after quake in Azerbaijan’s Zagatala: Health Ministry
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani setting up electronic system for assessment of judicial activity
- 06.06.2018Aftershocks likely to continue after strong earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Zagatala – Seismic Survey Center
- 05.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: Development of Azerbaijan’s healthcare system remains center of attention
- 05.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Naftalan City Central Hospital
- 04.06.2018Azerbaijani MES leadership visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev and Alley of Martyrs in Baku
- 04.06.2018Academy of Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry marks 10th anniversary
- 04.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Emergency Situations, Int’l Civil Defense Organization sign document on information exchange
- 02.06.2018EuroVillage 2018 opens in Baku
- 01.06.2018Governor: Georgian citizens injured in bus accident in Azerbaijan are in stable condition
- 01.06.2018UK Embassy in Baku holds forum on harmful effects of plastic products
- 01.06.2018Two Azerbaijani children adopted by Iranian and Turkish citizens this year
- 31.05.2018Azerbaijani president awards civil aviation workers
- 06.05.2017Leyla Aliyeva: A peaceful, inclusive society can be achieved by eliminating poverty and hunger
- 06.05.20174th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue comes to a close
- 06.05.20174th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue attended by representatives of 123 countries
- 06.05.2017High level meeting ‘Countering violent extremism through girls’ education’ held within Baku forum
- 05.05.2017Book presented at World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue
- 05.05.2017Main State Traffic Police Department releases statement on upcoming Islamic Solidarity Games