Leyla Aliyeva: A peaceful, inclusive society can be achieved by eliminating poverty and hunger
The 2nd plenary session entitled “"Intercultural dialogue for food security and community resilience: Essential elements in achieving sustainable development and peace" was held Saturday within the framework of the 4th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue, APA reported.
Vice President of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation, Goodwill Ambassador of the UN Food and Agriculture Organization Leyla Aliyeva said in her speech that a peaceful, inclusive society can be achieved by eliminating poverty and hunger.
According to Aliyeva, 870 million people worldwide are still suffering from hunger and malnutrition. "One third of food is thrown away in the form of waste,” she said.
“Climate change is adding to the crisis. The international community must unite efforts to make the issue of food security a tool for strengthening intercultural dialogue. I call on everyone to be always open to dialogue,” she said.
UN High Representative for the Alliance of Civilizations Nassir Abdulaziz Al-Nasser noted that the issue of food security is one of the key elements of intercultural dialogue.
“Food security plays a big role in eliminating unemployment. We should create relevant jobs in low-income countries and this must be in harmony with local culture. Urbanization has been rapidly growing in developed countries, which poses additional problems to the infrastructure, and consequently to the economy. Food security must be taken into consideration,” he said.
Minister of Culture and Tourism Abulfas Garayev noted that FAO has prioritized food security as much as human security since the beginning of Baku process. He noted that food security is less of political discussions in terms of importance.
“Food, in some way, represents traditions, climate, environment, and neighborhood. When importing a certain food, we get information about the country and its climate. A country’s cuisine is one of the factors through which its people can be comprehended. Food security is not the job of one people. We’re all responsible for it,” he said.
The event continued with speeches.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018Int’l conference dedicated to acts of genocide against Turkic-Muslim nations in 20th century kicks off in Azerbaijan
- 26.04.2018Education Ministry: Employment procedures for directors and teachers to be amended in Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2018NGOs adopt statement on 100th anniversary of 1918 Genocide of Azerbaijanis
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijan eyes to impose new penalties for breaking rules on rallies, street marches
- 25.04.2018BHOS concludes 3rd SOCAR International Forum with conference
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijan considers restriction of freedom for several offences
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijan eyes new fines for violating entry and exit rules
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves draft law on employment
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament passes bill on vocational education
- 23.04.2018Jeyhun Bayramov relieved of his duties as Deputy Minister of Education
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani President issues order on allocation of lump-sum financial aid to WW II veterans
- 20.04.2018F1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix: Two hospitals will render medical services to participants, guests
- 20.04.2018Owners of 6 houses damaged in Baku landslide zone receive financial aid
- 20.04.2018Non-smoking area in Baku Metro expanded
- 20.04.2018Baku hosts conference on exposure of Armenian falsifications
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Housing market prices are not suitable for low-income families
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan may prosecute those failing to pay unemployment insurance and compulsory social insurance
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Legal regulation needed for use of social networks
- 19.04.2018Health Ministry: Anemia, kidney and heart diseases widespread among pregnant women in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.201837,618 abortion cases recorded in Azerbaijan in 2017
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan reveals number of maternal deaths registered in 1Q 2018
- 19.04.2018Early marriages reported not only among Azerbaijanis living in Georgia: UNFPA study
- 19.04.2018Kamaladdin Heydarov meets with IAEA chief
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs decree to improve social protection of families of servicemen killed in military ops
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani citizens’ living standards will increase in coming years
- 18.04.2018Dust from Arabian Peninsula to reach Azerbaijan
- 18.04.20184th OIC Conference of Youth and Sports Ministers kicks off in Baku
- 18.04.2018Belarus may deliver Polonaise multiple rocket launch systems to Azerbaijan: Russian paper
- 18.04.2018Traffic to be restricted in Baku for 2018 F1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani SEC: Results of final exams may remain valid for two years
- 16.04.2018Amount of financial assistance for owners of damaged houses in Baku landslide zone determined
- 10.04.2018Strong geomagnetic storm expected in coming days
- 10.04.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan’s Health Ministry announces average life expectancy
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan, India discuss cooperation in education
- 09.04.2018AZN 3mln allocated to Youth Foundation
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijan declares March 27 as ‘Science Day’
- 07.04.2018Temperature to be 20 C in Baku tomorrow
- 07.04.2018Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources: Process of flooding intensified in Baku
- 06.04.2018Requirements concerning specially designated smoking areas specified in Azerbaijan
- 06.05.20174th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue comes to a close
- 06.05.20174th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue attended by representatives of 123 countries
- 07.05.2017Azerbaijan SEC holds entrance exams on I and IV specialty groups
- 06.05.2017Leyla Aliyeva: Food security, environment, and sustainable development are highly important for int’l coop
- 06.05.2017High level meeting ‘Countering violent extremism through girls’ education’ held within Baku forum
- 05.05.2017Book presented at World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue