Leyla Aliyeva: A peaceful, inclusive society can be achieved by eliminating poverty and hunger
The 2nd plenary session entitled “"Intercultural dialogue for food security and community resilience: Essential elements in achieving sustainable development and peace" was held Saturday within the framework of the 4th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue, APA reported.
Vice President of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation, Goodwill Ambassador of the UN Food and Agriculture Organization Leyla Aliyeva said in her speech that a peaceful, inclusive society can be achieved by eliminating poverty and hunger.
According to Aliyeva, 870 million people worldwide are still suffering from hunger and malnutrition. "One third of food is thrown away in the form of waste,” she said.
“Climate change is adding to the crisis. The international community must unite efforts to make the issue of food security a tool for strengthening intercultural dialogue. I call on everyone to be always open to dialogue,” she said.
UN High Representative for the Alliance of Civilizations Nassir Abdulaziz Al-Nasser noted that the issue of food security is one of the key elements of intercultural dialogue.
“Food security plays a big role in eliminating unemployment. We should create relevant jobs in low-income countries and this must be in harmony with local culture. Urbanization has been rapidly growing in developed countries, which poses additional problems to the infrastructure, and consequently to the economy. Food security must be taken into consideration,” he said.
Minister of Culture and Tourism Abulfas Garayev noted that FAO has prioritized food security as much as human security since the beginning of Baku process. He noted that food security is less of political discussions in terms of importance.
“Food, in some way, represents traditions, climate, environment, and neighborhood. When importing a certain food, we get information about the country and its climate. A country’s cuisine is one of the factors through which its people can be comprehended. Food security is not the job of one people. We’re all responsible for it,” he said.
The event continued with speeches.
Related news releases
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan to mark 110th anniversary of academician Musa Aliyev
- 21.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev orders increasing unified monthly allowance for IDPs
- 21.02.2018U.S. ambassador visits school built for IDPs in Baku
- 21.02.2018New specialties created in the master's degree in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2018Presidential pension for Azerbaijan’s national heroes increases
- 20.02.2018Ilham Aliyev orders increasing presidential pension for Great Patriotic War veterans
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani president appoints members of Civil Service Management Board
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani court commences hearing on Afgan Mukhtarli’s appeal
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan starts relocating IDP families to new settlement in Tartar
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan specifies what medications caused severe poisoning
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan imports most medicines from Europe – Health Ministry
- 20.02.2018Guba-Khinalig road reopened after avalanche
- 19.02.2018Pension for 20 January disabled increased by 10%
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani president increases monthly pension for citizens disabled in war
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss bill on state fingerprinting and genome registration
- 17.02.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Sunday
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan detains 26 foreigners in anti-migration op
- 16.02.2018Italian architects prepared project for Yanardagh complex construction – envoy
- 16.02.2018Baku to host Italian Design Day
- 16.02.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Saturday
- 16.02.2018Georgian education minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2018ASAN and ABAD very good Azerbaijani brands: EU envoy
- 16.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers: Families relocated from Bayil landslide area to be given rental money
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan discloses non-working days in March 2018
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani State Commission: 3,875 persons listed as missing
- 15.02.2018State Border Service detains 45 trespassers in January
- 15.02.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan prohibits holding positions of department head and dean at the same time at university
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani SEC announces interview for 165 vacant positions in 6 state bodies
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijani president signs order on additional measures for improvement of social protection of population
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijani teachers issue statement on upcoming presidential election
- 13.02.2018Number of people with disabilities in Azerbaijan announced
- 13.02.2018U.S. helps young IDPs build career skills
- 13.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers specifies date of final decision with regard to landslide area in Bayil
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani State Migration Service detains 11 foreigners
- 12.02.2018Guba Genocide Memorial Complex under reconstruction
- 12.02.2018Plan of events on 26th anniversary of Khojaly genocide approved
- 10.02.2018Four houses destoryed after landslide hits Bayil, no casualities reported
- 10.02.2018190 years pass since signing of Turkmenchay treaty
- 09.02.2018Health Ministry official proposes to allow organ trade in Azerbaijan
- 06.05.20174th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue comes to a close
- 06.05.20174th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue attended by representatives of 123 countries
- 07.05.2017Azerbaijan SEC holds entrance exams on I and IV specialty groups
- 06.05.2017Leyla Aliyeva: Food security, environment, and sustainable development are highly important for int’l coop
- 06.05.2017High level meeting ‘Countering violent extremism through girls’ education’ held within Baku forum
- 05.05.2017Book presented at World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue