Leyla Aliyeva: A peaceful, inclusive society can be achieved by eliminating poverty and hunger
The 2nd plenary session entitled “"Intercultural dialogue for food security and community resilience: Essential elements in achieving sustainable development and peace" was held Saturday within the framework of the 4th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue, APA reported.
Vice President of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation, Goodwill Ambassador of the UN Food and Agriculture Organization Leyla Aliyeva said in her speech that a peaceful, inclusive society can be achieved by eliminating poverty and hunger.
According to Aliyeva, 870 million people worldwide are still suffering from hunger and malnutrition. "One third of food is thrown away in the form of waste,” she said.
“Climate change is adding to the crisis. The international community must unite efforts to make the issue of food security a tool for strengthening intercultural dialogue. I call on everyone to be always open to dialogue,” she said.
UN High Representative for the Alliance of Civilizations Nassir Abdulaziz Al-Nasser noted that the issue of food security is one of the key elements of intercultural dialogue.
“Food security plays a big role in eliminating unemployment. We should create relevant jobs in low-income countries and this must be in harmony with local culture. Urbanization has been rapidly growing in developed countries, which poses additional problems to the infrastructure, and consequently to the economy. Food security must be taken into consideration,” he said.
Minister of Culture and Tourism Abulfas Garayev noted that FAO has prioritized food security as much as human security since the beginning of Baku process. He noted that food security is less of political discussions in terms of importance.
“Food, in some way, represents traditions, climate, environment, and neighborhood. When importing a certain food, we get information about the country and its climate. A country’s cuisine is one of the factors through which its people can be comprehended. Food security is not the job of one people. We’re all responsible for it,” he said.
The event continued with speeches.
Related news releases
- 18.06.2018Weather forecast for June 19
- 16.06.2018“Mübarizlər” contest kicks off in Baku
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani MES hosts meeting with U.S. Oklahoma National Guard delegation
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan calculating compulsory health insurance fees
- 14.06.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani citizens to have 5 consecutive non-working days to mark Eid al-Fitr and National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani schools celebrate Day of Farewell Bell
- 13.06.2018Baku's bid to host World Expo 2025 presented at BIE
- 13.06.2018Human rights activist meets daycare worker detained for child maltreatment
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament passes bill on protecting children from harmful information
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan Education Ministry reveals number of transfers students in 2018
- 12.06.2018Over 140,000 educators undergo diagnostic assessment in Azerbaijan over past four years
- 12.06.2018225 Azerbaijani citizens qualified for study abroad in academic year 2017-18 academic year
- 12.06.2018ATDC accredited as Cambridge Professional Development Centre
- 11.06.2018Leyla Novruzova, who was promoted to BP's London office: I’m not very good in planning my career - INTERVIEW
- 08.06.2018Libraff bookstore opens in Baku
- 08.06.2018Weekend weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani representative elected member of UN Committee on Elimination of Discrimination against Women
- 08.06.2018Akif Alizadeh re-elected president of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences - UPDATED
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan has region’s most secure data center, minister says
- 08.06.2018Many products brought to Azerbaijan in plastic containers – ministry
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Migration Service launches new e-service for foreigners, stateless persons
- 08.06.2018Specialty selection for master's degree starts in Azerbaijan
- 08.06.2018New president of ANAS to be elected today
- 06.06.2018Strong, destructive earthquake not expected in Azerbaijan – top seismologist
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Bar Association rejects rumors on alleged bias towards lawyers with opposition views
- 06.06.2018Inauguration of new lawyers held in Azerbaijan
- 06.06.2018No causalities reported after quake in Azerbaijan’s Zagatala: Health Ministry
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani setting up electronic system for assessment of judicial activity
- 06.06.2018Aftershocks likely to continue after strong earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Zagatala – Seismic Survey Center
- 05.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: Development of Azerbaijan’s healthcare system remains center of attention
- 05.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Naftalan City Central Hospital
- 04.06.2018Azerbaijani MES leadership visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev and Alley of Martyrs in Baku
- 04.06.2018Academy of Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry marks 10th anniversary
- 04.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Emergency Situations, Int’l Civil Defense Organization sign document on information exchange
- 02.06.2018EuroVillage 2018 opens in Baku
- 01.06.2018Governor: Georgian citizens injured in bus accident in Azerbaijan are in stable condition
- 01.06.2018UK Embassy in Baku holds forum on harmful effects of plastic products
- 01.06.2018Two Azerbaijani children adopted by Iranian and Turkish citizens this year
- 31.05.2018Azerbaijani president awards civil aviation workers
- 06.05.20174th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue comes to a close
- 06.05.20174th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue attended by representatives of 123 countries
- 07.05.2017Azerbaijan SEC holds entrance exams on I and IV specialty groups
- 06.05.2017Leyla Aliyeva: Food security, environment, and sustainable development are highly important for int’l coop
- 06.05.2017High level meeting ‘Countering violent extremism through girls’ education’ held within Baku forum
- 05.05.2017Book presented at World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue