Leyla Aliyeva: A peaceful, inclusive society can be achieved by eliminating poverty and hunger
The 2nd plenary session entitled “"Intercultural dialogue for food security and community resilience: Essential elements in achieving sustainable development and peace" was held Saturday within the framework of the 4th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue, APA reported.
Vice President of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation, Goodwill Ambassador of the UN Food and Agriculture Organization Leyla Aliyeva said in her speech that a peaceful, inclusive society can be achieved by eliminating poverty and hunger.
According to Aliyeva, 870 million people worldwide are still suffering from hunger and malnutrition. "One third of food is thrown away in the form of waste,” she said.
“Climate change is adding to the crisis. The international community must unite efforts to make the issue of food security a tool for strengthening intercultural dialogue. I call on everyone to be always open to dialogue,” she said.
UN High Representative for the Alliance of Civilizations Nassir Abdulaziz Al-Nasser noted that the issue of food security is one of the key elements of intercultural dialogue.
“Food security plays a big role in eliminating unemployment. We should create relevant jobs in low-income countries and this must be in harmony with local culture. Urbanization has been rapidly growing in developed countries, which poses additional problems to the infrastructure, and consequently to the economy. Food security must be taken into consideration,” he said.
Minister of Culture and Tourism Abulfas Garayev noted that FAO has prioritized food security as much as human security since the beginning of Baku process. He noted that food security is less of political discussions in terms of importance.
“Food, in some way, represents traditions, climate, environment, and neighborhood. When importing a certain food, we get information about the country and its climate. A country’s cuisine is one of the factors through which its people can be comprehended. Food security is not the job of one people. We’re all responsible for it,” he said.
The event continued with speeches.
Related news releases
- 21.07.2017President: Investments to be made in pharmaceutical factories amount to $100 million
- 21.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Drinking water supply projects successfully implemented in Azerbaijan
- 21.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views plans of work to be done in center of Pirallahi
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani president awards Avaz Alakbarov
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Nearly 80 percent of Azerbaijani population is internet users
- 20.07.2017Alexander Lapshin sentenced to 3 years in prison
- 19.07.2017Article by TEAS director published on website of “Peace and Sport” organization
- 19.07.2017Delegation of Pakistan’s National Disaster Management Authority arrives in Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2017Prosecutor seeks 4.5 years behind bars for APFP chairman’s assistant
- 19.07.2017UN report: 443,000 teens give birth in Eastern Europe and Central Asia every year
- 19.07.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 18.07.2017Opening of new TV channel proposed in Azerbaijan
- 18.07.2017ANAMA: 300ha area cleared of mine, UXOs in Jojug Marjanli
- 17.07.2017Kamran Aliyev: In Azerbaijan more bribes offered than taken
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan concludes investigation into 19 criminal cases on banking sector
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan completes investigation into criminal cases of 133 officials charged with corruption
- 15.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views conditions created in new park in Yasamal
- 15.07.2017Azerbaijani President warns officials, businessmen against cutting down trees
- 15.07.2017Int’l dolma festival held in Azerbaijan’s Khachmaz
- 15.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views newly built park in Yasamal district
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijani Health Ministry: 12,036 people wishing to marry diagnosed with thalassemia
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijani Education Ministry: Application for transfer of students to begin on July 17
- 14.07.2017Vugar Safarli: Names of journalists to be given apartments will be announced on July 21
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijan SEC to hold entrance exams on II and III specialty groups
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on education
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan bans advertising of abortion and artificial fermentation
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani President: Some public servants misbehave and make blatant mistakes
- 12.07.2017Judicial investigation into Alexander Lapshin’s case concludes
- 12.07.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan appoints new chairpersons to several courts of appeal
- 11.07.2017New chairpersons appointed to civil, military collegiums of Azerbaijani Supreme Court
- 11.07.2017APA photographers among best of Baku 2017
- 11.07.2017Lapshin’s trial postponed
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor’s Office receives submission on initiation of criminal case against former national security minister
- 10.07.2017Former MNS official stripped of his rank of colonel, jailed for 12 years
- 10.07.2017SEC announces date of new test exams for civil service recruitment
- 10.07.2017SEC: 11-grade final exam results roughly same as last year’s
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani SEC: Cases of abuse reported in fixed-term employment
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani SEC makes changes in test exams for civil service recruitment
- 08.07.2017Health Ministry: 275 newborns screened in Azerbaijan over last four months
- 06.05.20174th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue comes to a close
- 06.05.20174th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue attended by representatives of 123 countries
- 07.05.2017Azerbaijan SEC holds entrance exams on I and IV specialty groups
- 06.05.2017Leyla Aliyeva: Food security, environment, and sustainable development are highly important for int’l coop
- 06.05.2017High level meeting ‘Countering violent extremism through girls’ education’ held within Baku forum
- 05.05.2017Book presented at World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue