Leyla Aliyeva: A peaceful, inclusive society can be achieved by eliminating poverty and hunger
The 2nd plenary session entitled “"Intercultural dialogue for food security and community resilience: Essential elements in achieving sustainable development and peace" was held Saturday within the framework of the 4th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue, APA reported.
Vice President of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation, Goodwill Ambassador of the UN Food and Agriculture Organization Leyla Aliyeva said in her speech that a peaceful, inclusive society can be achieved by eliminating poverty and hunger.
According to Aliyeva, 870 million people worldwide are still suffering from hunger and malnutrition. "One third of food is thrown away in the form of waste,” she said.
“Climate change is adding to the crisis. The international community must unite efforts to make the issue of food security a tool for strengthening intercultural dialogue. I call on everyone to be always open to dialogue,” she said.
UN High Representative for the Alliance of Civilizations Nassir Abdulaziz Al-Nasser noted that the issue of food security is one of the key elements of intercultural dialogue.
“Food security plays a big role in eliminating unemployment. We should create relevant jobs in low-income countries and this must be in harmony with local culture. Urbanization has been rapidly growing in developed countries, which poses additional problems to the infrastructure, and consequently to the economy. Food security must be taken into consideration,” he said.
Minister of Culture and Tourism Abulfas Garayev noted that FAO has prioritized food security as much as human security since the beginning of Baku process. He noted that food security is less of political discussions in terms of importance.
“Food, in some way, represents traditions, climate, environment, and neighborhood. When importing a certain food, we get information about the country and its climate. A country’s cuisine is one of the factors through which its people can be comprehended. Food security is not the job of one people. We’re all responsible for it,” he said.
The event continued with speeches.
Related news releases
- 27.05.2017Ancient necropolis unearthed in Azerbaijan’s Shamakhy
- 26.05.2017Moon to come closest to Earth today
- 26.05.2017Azerbaijan to sack teachers with poor indicators of diagnostic assessment
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijan SEC announces dates of final and entrance exams
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijani State Commission addresses population over graves believed to be of missing persons
- 25.05.2017ANAS, Emergencies Ministry discuss issues of cooperation
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijani president approves Regulation on 'Subsidized housing' system
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijani SMS: Rules for employment of foreigners are sometimes violated
- 24.05.2017Number of foreigners coming to Azerbaijan on the rise
- 24.05.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Beylagan
- 24.05.2017Ali Abbasov receives new appointment
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijan, Romania to conduct examination in field of education
- 24.05.2017First Azerbaijan-Romania Inter-University Forum kicks off in Baku
- 23.05.2017Tariff Council specifies prices of paid services related to civil service
- 23.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan to see increase in tourist arrivals after Baku 2017
- 23.05.2017Traffic restriction on special lanes lifted in Baku
- 23.05.2017Registration for second participation in Azerbaijan university entrance exams over
- 22.05.2017Ibrahim Guliyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 22.05.2017Traffic ban on Baku 2017 ‘special lanes’ to be lifted on May 23
- 22.05.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Beylagan on May 24
- 22.05.2017Baku to host Azerbaijan-Romania Inter-University Forum
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijani emergencies ministry denies reports of staff reductions
- 20.05.2017French-Azerbaijani University announces admission of students
- 20.05.2017Illegal passenger transportation by buses prevented in Baku-Sumgayit highway
- 19.05.2017WHO: Azerbaijan had lowest suicide rate in Europe in 2015
- 19.05.2017Students in some Azerbaijani universities changed electronic exam grades
- 19.05.2017Health Ministry: 108 people diagnosed with HIV in Azerbaijan in 1Q 2017
- 18.05.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov meets ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijani Education Ministry to terminate employment contracts with teachers recruited without competition
- 17.05.2017Int’l seminar on human trafficking awareness kicks off in Vienna
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan launches campaign to aid Syrian children
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan’s population exceeds 9.8 million
- 17.05.2017More than 1.2 million adolescents die every year
- 17.05.2017Citizens of 12 more countries to use Azerbaijan’s ASAN Visa system
- 16.05.2017American Jewish community plans to invest in construction of Jewish school in Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani president confers honorary titles on persons who died of wounds sustained during 20 January events
- 16.05.2017NTRC: Broadcasting of foreign TV channels in Azerbaijan to be brought in line with standards
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan approves list of licensed services and work in field of private medicine
- 15.05.2017Presentation of ‘Asiada-2017’ held in Baku
- 15.05.2017Lawyer asks court to acquit Azerbaijan’s ex-health minister
- 06.05.20174th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue comes to a close
- 06.05.20174th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue attended by representatives of 123 countries
- 07.05.2017Azerbaijan SEC holds entrance exams on I and IV specialty groups
- 06.05.2017Leyla Aliyeva: Food security, environment, and sustainable development are highly important for int’l coop
- 06.05.2017High level meeting ‘Countering violent extremism through girls’ education’ held within Baku forum
- 05.05.2017Book presented at World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue