Court rejects petitions filed by Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-employees - UPDATED
Following the break, an Azerbaijani court continued the preliminary hearing in the criminal case involving former heads of departments of the liquidated Ministry of National Security (MNS) Subahir Gurbanov, Teymur Guliyev, Natavan Mirvatova, other officials Fuzuli Aliyev, Zaur Mammadov, Natiq Aliyev, Farhad Atayev, Anar Shiraliyev, Eshqin Aliyev, and Elshad Azizov.
Lawyer Ilham Asadov said all the petitions filed at the hearing were rejected by the court.
The hearing will be continued on Feb. 28.
Accused person Natavan Mirvatova told reporters that she doesn’t want to comment on the charges she is faced by. “I ask you not to disseminate wrong information. I respect you, but don’t want to talk about it,” she said.
An Azerbaijani court on Tuesday held a preliminary hearing in the criminal case involving former heads of departments of the liquidated Ministry of National Security (MNS) Subahir Gurbanov, Teymur Guliyev, Natavan Mirvatova, other officials Fuzuli Aliyev, Zaur Mammadov, Natiq Aliyev, Farhad Atayev, Anar Shiraliyev, Eshqin Aliyev, and Elshad Azizov.
Following the hearing presided over by Baku Military Court chairman Habib Hasanov, Fizuli Aliyev’s lawyer Ilham Asadov told journalists that the court specified the profile data of the defendants.
“During the investigation, the court ordered seizure on houses owned by Fizuli Aliyev’s grandfather and his relatives. In this regard, we filed a petition for the return of the criminal case for further investigation and the removal of some evidences from the list of evidence. Another petition filed at the hearing was related to sending Subahir Gurbanov for compulsory treatment due to health reasons. The petitions remained unconsidered.
A break was announced in the hearing. It will be continued in the afternoon.
According to the indictment, the above-mentioned generals have abused their official powers as an organized group in 2004-2015.
They are accused of causing psychological and physical harm to entrepreneurs, demanding a large sum of money in exchange for releasing them, threatening their relatives with violence, arrest, and releasing embarrassing information about them. By this means, they managed to appropriate of 162 victims a total of 18,437,000 manats as well as monetary funds worth 6,449,000 manats, jewelry and real estate worth 5,693,000 manats, taking 5,295,000 manats in the form of bribe, and embezzling 1,000,000 allocated from the state budget.
The court ordered seizure on property and cash worth of 21,528,000 manats, as well as real estate worth of 20,971,000 manats, vehicles worth of 272,000 manats, jewelry and other valuable goods worth of 42,000 manats, cash worth of 88,000 manats, 88,000 US dollars and 5,000 euros belonging to the defendants – Subahir Gurbanov, Fizuli Aliyev, Zaur Mammadov, Natig Aliyev, Teymur Guliyev, Natavan Murvatova and the others.
They are charged under articles 145.3 (illegal imprisonment on negligence ended with death of the victim or other serious consequences), 178.3.1, 178.3.2 (swindle committed by organized group with causing damage on a large scale), 179.3.1, 179.3.2 (embezzlement by an organized group on a large scale), 181.3.1, 181.3.2 (robbery, committed by an organized group, with a view to seizing the property on a large scale), 182.3.1, 182.3.2 (extortion, committed by an organized group in order to obtain property on a large scale), 228.4 (illegal purchase, selling, storage and carrying fire arms, bladed weapons), 302.1, 302.2 (infringement of the legislation on operative-search activity with the use of technical means, intended for secret information), 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4 (reception of a bribe, committed by a group of persons or an organized group repeatedly or on a large scale, using threats), 313 (service forgery), 320.1, 320.2 (fake of official documents and use of obviously counterfeit documents) and 341.2.1, 341.2.2, 341.2.3 (abusing authority, excess or inactivity of authority, committed by a group of persons with the use of weapons, resulted in grave consequences).
Related news releases
- 18.10.2017Spectators to be provided with buses following Qarabag-Atletico Madrid football match
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan registers 390 HIV-positive people in 2017
- 18.10.2017Documentary “Objective Baku: How Hitler Lost the Battle for Oil” screened in London
- 18.10.2017Increase in male victims of human trafficking, IOM says
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan considers amendment to Criminal Code regarding postponement of sentence for some prisoners
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan defines upper and lowers limits of new penalty for juvenile delinquency
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan’s trade representatives abroad to be paid in amount of 90 percent of ambassador’s salary
- 16.10.2017Interior Minister: Situation with sexual minorities in Azerbaijan no different from that in most European states
- 16.10.2017ANAS proposes businesses undertake to finance development of science in country
- 13.10.2017"IMAGINE" Euro Tolerance Festival 2017 kicks off in Baku
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijan set to abrogate imprisonment for illegal trafficking of medications
- 13.10.2017ANAS says statement by Institute of History on map crisis does not reflect its position
- 13.10.2017U.S., Azerbaijan improve irrigation in Saatli
- 13.10.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 13.10.20174-year-old Azerbaijani child rescued from ISIL in Iraq brought home
- 12.10.2017ANAS Institute of History issues statement on map crisis
- 12.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards railway workers
- 11.10.2017New generation vaccine developed against malaria: Azerbaijani scientist
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijan develops life expectancy map
- 10.10.2017Premarital examination: 240 diagnosed with thalassemia, 7 with AIDS in Azerbaijan
- 10.10.2017Strong magnetic storm to hit Earth
- 09.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Sometimes there are delays in execution of actions relating to Strategic Road Maps
- 09.10.2017Historian: ‘Greater Armenia’ map in history textbook may have been published for insidious purpose
- 09.10.2017Azerbaijan conducts serious fight against corruption, cybercrime: Deputy Prosecutor General
- 06.10.2017Project ‘Italian language week’ presented in Baku
- 06.10.2017Ambassador: From among EU countries, Italy is where most Azerbaijani students choose to pursue their study
- 06.10.2017Some Ashura blood donators found to be infected with HIV, Hepatitis, Syphilis: Health Ministry
- 06.10.2017Nobel Peace Prize 2017 awarded to International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons
- 06.10.2017Azerbaijani Press Council recommends fines for violation of literary language norms
- 06.10.2017Azerbaijan’s NTRC reveals main problems with using literary language on television and radio
- 06.10.201711th International Education Exhibition opens in Baku
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijani First Vice-President attended ceremony to give out new apartments to IDP families in Masazir
- 05.10.2017First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva visits new building for IDP families
- 05.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for school construction in Lahij
- 04.10.2017Minister Kamaleddin Heydarov meets with CEO of Italian Leonardo company
- 04.10.2017Men also among victims of domestic violence in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 04.10.2017Euronews presents report about Azerbaijan's Lahij city - VIDEO
- 03.10.2017Int’l experience shows risk of sexually transmitted diseases is higher, sociologist says
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijan’s ex-health minister appeals to Supreme Court chairman
- 03.10.2017Kamal Abdullayev granted Azerbaijani president’s personal stipend
- 22.02.2017Weather to be changeably cloudy tomorrow
- 22.02.2017Park Cinema, TEAS to hold Karabakh film days
- 22.02.2017Baku court sentences ex-ISIL fighter to 10 years in prison
- 20.02.2017Azerbaijani MES to hold firefighting training
- 20.02.2017Azerbaijan, Austria end joint exercises for search and rescue ops during avalanches
- 20.02.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Khachmaz