Court rejects petitions filed by Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-employees - UPDATED
Following the break, an Azerbaijani court continued the preliminary hearing in the criminal case involving former heads of departments of the liquidated Ministry of National Security (MNS) Subahir Gurbanov, Teymur Guliyev, Natavan Mirvatova, other officials Fuzuli Aliyev, Zaur Mammadov, Natiq Aliyev, Farhad Atayev, Anar Shiraliyev, Eshqin Aliyev, and Elshad Azizov.
Lawyer Ilham Asadov said all the petitions filed at the hearing were rejected by the court.
The hearing will be continued on Feb. 28.
Accused person Natavan Mirvatova told reporters that she doesn’t want to comment on the charges she is faced by. “I ask you not to disseminate wrong information. I respect you, but don’t want to talk about it,” she said.
An Azerbaijani court on Tuesday held a preliminary hearing in the criminal case involving former heads of departments of the liquidated Ministry of National Security (MNS) Subahir Gurbanov, Teymur Guliyev, Natavan Mirvatova, other officials Fuzuli Aliyev, Zaur Mammadov, Natiq Aliyev, Farhad Atayev, Anar Shiraliyev, Eshqin Aliyev, and Elshad Azizov.
Following the hearing presided over by Baku Military Court chairman Habib Hasanov, Fizuli Aliyev’s lawyer Ilham Asadov told journalists that the court specified the profile data of the defendants.
“During the investigation, the court ordered seizure on houses owned by Fizuli Aliyev’s grandfather and his relatives. In this regard, we filed a petition for the return of the criminal case for further investigation and the removal of some evidences from the list of evidence. Another petition filed at the hearing was related to sending Subahir Gurbanov for compulsory treatment due to health reasons. The petitions remained unconsidered.
A break was announced in the hearing. It will be continued in the afternoon.
According to the indictment, the above-mentioned generals have abused their official powers as an organized group in 2004-2015.
They are accused of causing psychological and physical harm to entrepreneurs, demanding a large sum of money in exchange for releasing them, threatening their relatives with violence, arrest, and releasing embarrassing information about them. By this means, they managed to appropriate of 162 victims a total of 18,437,000 manats as well as monetary funds worth 6,449,000 manats, jewelry and real estate worth 5,693,000 manats, taking 5,295,000 manats in the form of bribe, and embezzling 1,000,000 allocated from the state budget.
The court ordered seizure on property and cash worth of 21,528,000 manats, as well as real estate worth of 20,971,000 manats, vehicles worth of 272,000 manats, jewelry and other valuable goods worth of 42,000 manats, cash worth of 88,000 manats, 88,000 US dollars and 5,000 euros belonging to the defendants – Subahir Gurbanov, Fizuli Aliyev, Zaur Mammadov, Natig Aliyev, Teymur Guliyev, Natavan Murvatova and the others.
They are charged under articles 145.3 (illegal imprisonment on negligence ended with death of the victim or other serious consequences), 178.3.1, 178.3.2 (swindle committed by organized group with causing damage on a large scale), 179.3.1, 179.3.2 (embezzlement by an organized group on a large scale), 181.3.1, 181.3.2 (robbery, committed by an organized group, with a view to seizing the property on a large scale), 182.3.1, 182.3.2 (extortion, committed by an organized group in order to obtain property on a large scale), 228.4 (illegal purchase, selling, storage and carrying fire arms, bladed weapons), 302.1, 302.2 (infringement of the legislation on operative-search activity with the use of technical means, intended for secret information), 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4 (reception of a bribe, committed by a group of persons or an organized group repeatedly or on a large scale, using threats), 313 (service forgery), 320.1, 320.2 (fake of official documents and use of obviously counterfeit documents) and 341.2.1, 341.2.2, 341.2.3 (abusing authority, excess or inactivity of authority, committed by a group of persons with the use of weapons, resulted in grave consequences).
Related news releases
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission rejects allegations of pardon for a person who wasn’t listed
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan SEC to hold first university entrance exams on April 30
- 27.04.2017MP: Some cafes and restaurants in Azerbaijan offer hookahs containing drugs
- 26.04.2017Azerbaijan's former health minister gets 7 years and 5 days in prison - UPDATED
- 26.04.2017New prosecutor of Baku appointed
- 25.04.2017Victim testifies in trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani MP: People are unsure what currency to choose to save their money
- 25.04.2017Baku city prosecutor Aziz Seyidov elected judge of Supreme Court
- 25.04.2017Baku court holds preliminary hearing on case of APFP member arrested over FETO links
- 25.04.2017Starvation looms for 20 million, UN agricultural advisory group told at opening session
- 24.04.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial continues
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijani president orders payment of allowances to World War II participants
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijani soldiers wounded in April battles provided with artificial limbs on initiative of First VP Mehriban Aliyeva
- 24.04.2017About 7 million people in Azerbaijan at risk of contracting malaria – ministry
- 21.04.2017EU, Azerbaijani SEC hold joint seminar
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan to ban ads of potential harm to children
- 21.04.2017Canadian doctors discover first antibiotic in 30 years
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan declares two non-working days in May
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan weather forecast: Strong winds expected in coming days
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 3 mln to Youth Foundation
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan: 62 killed, 212 injured in emergencies since early 2017
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan issues licenses to 14 companies delivering television programming over Internet
- 19.04.2017The plan for admission of students will be determined by the Cabinet of Ministers
- 18.04.2017One child given up to foreigner for adoption in Azerbaijan this year
- 18.04.2017Attorneys in MNS case refuse to speak to the press
- 18.04.2017CoE experts’ report on NGOs presented in Baku
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan State Examination Center appeals to applicants over second entrance exams
- 17.04.2017Residents of the "Sovietski" addressed a letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 17.04.2017Number of Azerbaijani population announced
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates participants of 1st Int’l Forum of Caucasus Studies Scholars
- 17.04.2017New deputy health minister appointed in Azerbaijan’s Nakhchivan
- 15.04.2017President Aliyev gives instruction to stop construction of residential building in Yasamal district
- 15.04.2017Azerbaijan to start diagnostic evaluation of teachers in several districts from tomorrow
- 14.04.2017Over 1,400 foreigners violated Azerbaijan’s administrative legislation in March
- 14.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament passes bill restricting tobacco use
- 14.04.2017Baku Education Department: No violations recorded during teacher recruitment
- 14.04.2017Azerbaijan to broadcast anti-smoking TV and radio programs
- 13.04.201790 first aid brigades to be available during Baku Islamic Solidarity Games
- 13.04.2017Bears and gazelles illegally kept at some recreational centers in Azerbaijan
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan: Minors to be required to present ID while buying cigarettes
- 22.02.2017Weather to be changeably cloudy tomorrow
- 22.02.2017Park Cinema, TEAS to hold Karabakh film days
- 22.02.2017Baku court sentences ex-ISIL fighter to 10 years in prison
- 20.02.2017Azerbaijani MES to hold firefighting training
- 20.02.2017Azerbaijan, Austria end joint exercises for search and rescue ops during avalanches
- 20.02.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Khachmaz