Lapshin thanks Azerbaijani president for pardoning him
In his letter addressed to the Azerbaijani president, Lapshin expressed regret over what he did, said the lawyer.
“In his letter, Lapshin admitted his mistakes, expressing his gratitude to the Azerbaijani president and his family members for the pardoning,” Chernin said.
“Today I learned that you [Mr. President] have signed an order on my pardon. I am very thankful to you for this. Now I am fully convinced that Nagorno-Karabakh is Azerbaijani territory. I hope that the Nagorno-Karabakh problem will be resolved within Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity,” the letter said.
Lapshin also wished President Ilham Aliyev strong health and long life, expressing hope for the soonest liberation of the Azerbaijani territories.
Lapshin, who is a citizen of several countries, was detained in Minsk, Belarus on December 15, 2016 at the request of the Azerbaijani government. He was brought to Azerbaijan on February 7, 2017.
Lapshin was charged under articles 281.2 (public appeals against the state) and 318.2 (illegal border crossing).
The charge against Lapshin under Article 281.2 of the Azerbaijani Criminal Code (public appeals against the state) was dropped due to a lack of evidence. He was sentenced to three years in prison by the Baku Court of Grave Crimes.
On Sept. 10, Lapshin made a suicide attempt in prison.
Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev signed an order on Sept. 11 to pardon Alexander Lapshin.
Related news releases
- 23.01.2018Azerbaijan advances in 2018 Best Countries Report
- 23.01.2018UN Office, Israeli Embassy jointly organize ‘Holocaust Week’ in Azerbaijan
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijan restricts right of 14,000 debtors to leave the country
- 22.01.2018Landslides causing cracks on walls of houses in Azerbaijan’s Shamakh
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amendments to law on organ transplantation
- 22.01.2018Up to 60% of last year’s deaths in Azerbaijan resulted from heart failure
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijan to prohibit sale of medications to teenagers under 14
- 22.01.2018Board of Appeal: Sometimes central, local executive authorities make unreasonable decisions, ignoring entrepreneurs’ demands
- 22.01.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Tartar
- 20.01.2018Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform expresses deep condolences over 20 January tragedy
- 20.01.2018Azerbaijani public pays tribute to January 20 victims
- 20.01.2018Azerbaijan holds minute of silence to honor January 20 victims
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijan simplifies visa procedures for 2018 Formula 1 Grand Prix
- 19.01.2018Traffic to be restricted on some roads of Baku on January 20
- 18.01.2018Teymur Bunyadov awarded Shohrat Order
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani SEC to hold first stage of paid mock exam for master admission
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan increases salaries of teachers working in state vocational education institutions
- 17.01.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan SEC announces dates of final, entrance exams in 2018
- 16.01.2018Keshikchi Dag monastery needs to be repaired – Azerbaijani State Service
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani State Agency for Compulsory Health Insurance becomes public legal entity
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani Supreme Court denies former health minister’s appeal
- 16.01.2018Isa Gambar in stable condition, cardiologist says
- 15.01.2018Siyavush Novruzov: If necessary, state will support Isa Gambar’s treatment
- 15.01.2018Isa Gambar’s health condition improving, cardiologist says
- 15.01.2018Health Ministry: Infant and child mortality rates in Azerbaijan drop three times
- 14.01.2018Recent discovery in Meteorites may prove there is life outside Earth - Study
- 13.01.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Sunday
- 10.01.2018Citizens of Non-Aligned movement states to get education grants in Azerbaijan
- 10.01.2018Iranian FM in Russia for talks on nuclear deal, Syria
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: 2,300 IDP families provided with new apartments in 2017
- 08.01.2018Masalli resident captures injured eagle
- 06.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on highway construction in Khachmaz
- 06.01.2018Turkish citizen standing trial in Azerbaijan
- 06.01.2018ANAMA issues 2017 annual report
- 05.01.2018FEP rates photo of Heydar Aliyev Center as ‘Cover Picture of 2017’
- 05.01.2018Man detained attempting to smuggle drugs from Iran to Azerbaijan
- 03.01.2018MES holds operational meeting on search of missing climbers
- 03.01.2018Nearly 386,000 children born worldwide on New Year’s Day, says UNICEF
- 31.12.2017Baku welcomes New Year - PHOTOSESSION
- 14.11.2013Day of Azerbaijan to be held in London
- 14.11.20131000 children suffer from diabetes mellitus in Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2013ECHR announces judgment on case of Chechen who doesn’t want to be extradited to Russia
- 13.11.2013UNHCR to airlift aid to Typhoon Haiyan survivors in Philippines
- 12.11.2013Baku Declaration adopted as a conclusion of 4th Islamic Conference of Ministers in charge of Childhood
- 11.11.2013Khankendi secondary school #4 named after Nizami Ganjavi opened