Int’l seminar on protection of refugee rights kicks off in Baku
A two-day international seminar on the protection of the rights of refugees kicked off in Baku March 6.
The event was co-organized by the European Union and the Institute for Human Rights of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS) within the framework of TAIEX programme.
Delivering keynote remarks at the seminar, the director of ANAS Institute of Human Rights, Ayten Mustafayeva, said that the main objective of the event is to exchange views on the protection of the rights of refugees and IDPs, the analysis of the current situation in Azerbaijan in this field and the provision of state support to them in various areas, an APA correspondent reported from the event.
Speaking about the problems of refugees and internally displaced persons in Azerbaijan and the work done in this field, Mustafayeva said that Azerbaijan's experience in this sphere is an example for Europe which is currently facing a migrant crisis.
The program director in the EU Azerbaijani Office, Alessandro Budai, stated that Azerbaijan is the best partner for the EU due to its geopolitical position.
He stressed the need for joint efforts in achieving common goals.
“Migration is an important direction in this field. The EU is trying to implement a balanced policy regarding migration,” said Budai. “The EU is the main donor of humanitarian aid. Last year the EU allocated one billion dollar to ensure the protection of the rights of refugees and children migrants.”
He recalled the EU and Turkey reached an agreement on the regulation of migration flows.
The president of Germany's Braunschweig Administrative Court, Wolfgang Bartsch, who is moderating the seminar, underlined the successful development of Azerbaijan.
Nazim Isgandarov, an official of the State Committee of Azerbaijan for Affairs of Refugees and IDPs, spoke about the work done in the country to address the problems of refugees and IDPs.
- 23.10.2017Strong geomagnetic storm expected to begin tomorrow
- 23.10.2017Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Shabran
- 21.10.2017Gabala hosts int’l scientific conference entitled ‘Archeology of Gabala’
- 21.10.2017Baku awaits rainless weather on Sunday
- 20.10.2017Applicants to take entrance exams in two groups this academic year in Azerbaijan
- 20.10.2017Ambassador Cekuta: About 7,000 Azerbaijanis received education in U.S. over 25-year period of diplomatic relations
- 20.10.2017In Azerbaijan, final exams to be held once, but entrance exams more than once under new model
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament excludes 3 issues from agenda
- 20.10.2017AZN 50.5 mln allocated for IDPs who don’t have access to gas supply
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani SEC: In 2019 maximum point in university entrance exams will be 400
- 20.10.2017Education expenditure in Azerbaijan’s draft state budget 2018 exceeds AZN 2 bln
- 20.10.2017Teachers’ diagnostic assessment in Azerbaijan to end next year
- 20.10.2017AZN 5M to be allocated to mark 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 20.10.2017People’s Artist Rafig Huseynov to be taken to Germany for treatment
- 19.10.201770 people brought to responsibility in Baku for auto-hooliganism
- 19.10.2017U.S., Azerbaijan improve water supply, livestock management for residents of Zardab and Aghjabadi
- 18.10.2017Spectators to be provided with buses following Qarabag-Atletico Madrid football match
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan registers 390 HIV-positive people in 2017
- 18.10.2017Documentary “Objective Baku: How Hitler Lost the Battle for Oil” screened in London
- 18.10.2017Increase in male victims of human trafficking, IOM says
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan considers amendment to Criminal Code regarding postponement of sentence for some prisoners
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan defines upper and lowers limits of new penalty for juvenile delinquency
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan’s trade representatives abroad to be paid in amount of 90 percent of ambassador’s salary
- 16.10.2017Interior Minister: Situation with sexual minorities in Azerbaijan no different from that in most European states
- 16.10.2017ANAS proposes businesses undertake to finance development of science in country
- 13.10.2017"IMAGINE" Euro Tolerance Festival 2017 kicks off in Baku
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijan set to abrogate imprisonment for illegal trafficking of medications
- 13.10.2017ANAS says statement by Institute of History on map crisis does not reflect its position
- 13.10.2017U.S., Azerbaijan improve irrigation in Saatli
- 13.10.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 13.10.20174-year-old Azerbaijani child rescued from ISIL in Iraq brought home
- 12.10.2017ANAS Institute of History issues statement on map crisis
- 12.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards railway workers
- 11.10.2017New generation vaccine developed against malaria: Azerbaijani scientist
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijan develops life expectancy map
- 10.10.2017Premarital examination: 240 diagnosed with thalassemia, 7 with AIDS in Azerbaijan
- 10.10.2017Strong magnetic storm to hit Earth
- 09.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Sometimes there are delays in execution of actions relating to Strategic Road Maps
- 09.10.2017Historian: ‘Greater Armenia’ map in history textbook may have been published for insidious purpose
- 09.10.2017Azerbaijan conducts serious fight against corruption, cybercrime: Deputy Prosecutor General
- 06.03.2017ASAN Kommunal No.3 to be opened in Baku by year-end
- 06.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Heart Center in Baku
- 06.03.2017Subahir Gurbanov testified at Akif Chovdarov’s trial - UPDATED
- 06.03.2017ASAN Kommunal No.2 commissioned in Baku
- 05.03.2017First stage of final exam for IX graders starts in Azerbaijan
- 04.03.2017One-seventh of prisoners in Azerbaijan charged with drug crimes