Int’l seminar on protection of refugee rights kicks off in Baku
A two-day international seminar on the protection of the rights of refugees kicked off in Baku March 6.
The event was co-organized by the European Union and the Institute for Human Rights of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS) within the framework of TAIEX programme.
Delivering keynote remarks at the seminar, the director of ANAS Institute of Human Rights, Ayten Mustafayeva, said that the main objective of the event is to exchange views on the protection of the rights of refugees and IDPs, the analysis of the current situation in Azerbaijan in this field and the provision of state support to them in various areas, an APA correspondent reported from the event.
Speaking about the problems of refugees and internally displaced persons in Azerbaijan and the work done in this field, Mustafayeva said that Azerbaijan's experience in this sphere is an example for Europe which is currently facing a migrant crisis.
The program director in the EU Azerbaijani Office, Alessandro Budai, stated that Azerbaijan is the best partner for the EU due to its geopolitical position.
He stressed the need for joint efforts in achieving common goals.
“Migration is an important direction in this field. The EU is trying to implement a balanced policy regarding migration,” said Budai. “The EU is the main donor of humanitarian aid. Last year the EU allocated one billion dollar to ensure the protection of the rights of refugees and children migrants.”
He recalled the EU and Turkey reached an agreement on the regulation of migration flows.
The president of Germany's Braunschweig Administrative Court, Wolfgang Bartsch, who is moderating the seminar, underlined the successful development of Azerbaijan.
Nazim Isgandarov, an official of the State Committee of Azerbaijan for Affairs of Refugees and IDPs, spoke about the work done in the country to address the problems of refugees and IDPs.
- 23.06.2017Team that always plays ‘away’: story of Garabagh FC comes to Stamford Bridge
- 23.06.2017Moldovan president visits Formula 1 Paddock
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan Education Ministry: Public legal entity status will open up new opportunities for development of higher education
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan to have five non-working days on Eid al-Fitr
- 23.06.2017Final exams for IX-XI graders starts in Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017Former Azerbaijani health minister gets his appeal denied by court
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on telecommunications
- 22.06.2017Preliminary hearing held for Alexander Lapshin - UPDATED
- 21.06.2017Two Universities in Azerbaijan to get public legal entity status
- 21.06.2017Sayyaf Ismayilov awarded “Honored Civil Servant” title
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijani president signs order on granting young talents a special stipend
- 21.06.2017Justice Ministry comments on lawyers’ statement about Akif Chovdarov’s health
- 21.06.2017Justice Ministry: Doctors are closely following Lapshin’s health condition
- 21.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of Narimanov District Court
- 20.06.2017US Embassy celebrates opening of Ganja American Corner
- 20.06.2017Court rejects Afgan Mukhtarli’s petition
- 20.06.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Jalilabad
- 20.06.2017ADA University hosts event to mark World Refugee Day
- 19.06.2017Ex-ministry official Vidadi Zeynalov again partially reimburses damage caused to state
- 19.06.2017Entrance to part of Baku Seaside National Park to be closed from June 20 to 26
- 19.06.2017Traffic restricted in Baku’s central streets due to F1 Grand Prix
- 19.06.2017War, violence, persecution push displacement to new unprecedented high: UNHCR report
- 19.06.2017US ambassador visits Ganja
- 17.06.2017Traffic police address drivers in connection with Formula 1
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan University of Languages to get public legal entity status
- 16.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on healthcare workers
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan allocates two hospitals for F1 Grand Prix
- 16.06.2017Number of official unemployed population announced
- 16.06.20174-magnitude earthquake hits Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 16.06.2017Number of Azerbaijan population increases 0.3%
- 16.06.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Jalilabad
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan restricts entry of 264 foreigners in May
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan: Military service problems of male students with 1-2 unpaid academic debts to be solved
- 15.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended memorial event for outstanding scientist, academician Rafiga Aliyeva
- 14.06.2017European Union celebrates the launch of its media projects and congratulates winners of its competitions
- 14.06.2017Jojug Marjanli resident awarded “Labor” Order
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijan’s deputy PM: Mandatory medical insurance fees should be acceptable to citizens
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijani schools celebrate Day of Farewell Bell
- 13.06.2017Lapshin to stand trial on June 22 - UPDATED
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijan: Deaths among children aged under 1 mainly observed in Baku
- 06.03.2017ASAN Kommunal No.3 to be opened in Baku by year-end
- 06.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Heart Center in Baku
- 06.03.2017Subahir Gurbanov testified at Akif Chovdarov’s trial - UPDATED
- 06.03.2017ASAN Kommunal No.2 commissioned in Baku
- 05.03.2017First stage of final exam for IX graders starts in Azerbaijan
- 04.03.2017One-seventh of prisoners in Azerbaijan charged with drug crimes