Int’l seminar on protection of refugee rights kicks off in Baku
A two-day international seminar on the protection of the rights of refugees kicked off in Baku March 6.
The event was co-organized by the European Union and the Institute for Human Rights of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS) within the framework of TAIEX programme.
Delivering keynote remarks at the seminar, the director of ANAS Institute of Human Rights, Ayten Mustafayeva, said that the main objective of the event is to exchange views on the protection of the rights of refugees and IDPs, the analysis of the current situation in Azerbaijan in this field and the provision of state support to them in various areas, an APA correspondent reported from the event.
Speaking about the problems of refugees and internally displaced persons in Azerbaijan and the work done in this field, Mustafayeva said that Azerbaijan's experience in this sphere is an example for Europe which is currently facing a migrant crisis.
The program director in the EU Azerbaijani Office, Alessandro Budai, stated that Azerbaijan is the best partner for the EU due to its geopolitical position.
He stressed the need for joint efforts in achieving common goals.
“Migration is an important direction in this field. The EU is trying to implement a balanced policy regarding migration,” said Budai. “The EU is the main donor of humanitarian aid. Last year the EU allocated one billion dollar to ensure the protection of the rights of refugees and children migrants.”
He recalled the EU and Turkey reached an agreement on the regulation of migration flows.
The president of Germany's Braunschweig Administrative Court, Wolfgang Bartsch, who is moderating the seminar, underlined the successful development of Azerbaijan.
Nazim Isgandarov, an official of the State Committee of Azerbaijan for Affairs of Refugees and IDPs, spoke about the work done in the country to address the problems of refugees and IDPs.
- 29.03.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues
- 29.03.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official rescheduled to April 5
- 29.03.2017Deadline for document submission to master’s degree and residency in Azerbaijan expires
- 28.03.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials proceeds - UPDATED
- 28.03.2017Ali Insanov’s criminal case submitted to court
- 28.03.2017Criminal case against Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official terminated - EXCLUSIVE
- 28.03.2017Historical facts uncovered about Armenian plagiarism
- 28.03.2017Preliminary investigation into case of former MNS general and others concludes
- 28.03.2017Azerbaijani Health Ministry to establish organizing committee for 4th Islamic Solidarity Games
- 28.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of orphanage-kindergarten in Saatli
- 27.03.2017Court denies Akif Chovdarov’s petition - UPDATED
- 25.03.2017Dry weather predicted for March 26
- 24.03.2017Temperature to reach 18 C in Azerbaijan tomorrow
- 23.03.2017Changeable cloudy and dry weather predicted in Baku
- 22.03.2017Changeable cloudy weather to prevail in Baku
- 20.03.2017Azercell supports international event in Baku
- 20.03.2017Spring comes to Azerbaijan
- 18.03.2017Commission for the Regulation and Coordination of Labor Relations established in Azerbaijan
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani court pronounces verdict against former navy chief
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan to apply writing tasks for college admission for first time
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani Emergencies Ministry to work on enhanced mode during holiday
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan completes execution of president’s pardon order
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan extends deadline for document admission to master’s degree and residency
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani MP’s nephew charged with swindle released in courtroom
- 17.03.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Aghdash
- 17.03.2017Albanian president awarded title of honorary doctor of Azerbaijan University of Languages
- 17.03.201714 female inmates pardoned Azerbaijan's president
- 17.03.2017Pardon order: 40 inmates released from Correctional Facility No. 13
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan starts execution of presidential order on pardon
- 16.03.2017Rector appointed to Baku Engineering University
- 16.03.2017Number of Azerbaijani population announced
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani MES: Project for 1st micro-district to cover more areas in case it proves successful
- 15.03.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official
- 14.03.2017Two-time European karate champion standing trial on drug charges
- 14.03.2017Dust clouds over Turkmenistan to hit Azerbaijan
- 14.03.2017Hearing in case of former MNS generals postponed
- 14.03.2017Supreme Court considers IBA ex-chairman’s appeal
- 14.03.2017Azerbaijani court rejects appeal of former OMON members
- 14.03.2017Azerbaijan celebrates Last Tuesday of Novruz Holiday
- 13.03.2017Alexander Lapshin meets lawyer
- 06.03.2017ASAN Kommunal No.3 to be opened in Baku by year-end
- 06.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Heart Center in Baku
- 06.03.2017Subahir Gurbanov testified at Akif Chovdarov’s trial - UPDATED
- 06.03.2017ASAN Kommunal No.2 commissioned in Baku
- 05.03.2017First stage of final exam for IX graders starts in Azerbaijan
- 04.03.2017One-seventh of prisoners in Azerbaijan charged with drug crimes