Int’l seminar on protection of refugee rights kicks off in Baku
A two-day international seminar on the protection of the rights of refugees kicked off in Baku March 6.
The event was co-organized by the European Union and the Institute for Human Rights of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS) within the framework of TAIEX programme.
Delivering keynote remarks at the seminar, the director of ANAS Institute of Human Rights, Ayten Mustafayeva, said that the main objective of the event is to exchange views on the protection of the rights of refugees and IDPs, the analysis of the current situation in Azerbaijan in this field and the provision of state support to them in various areas, an APA correspondent reported from the event.
Speaking about the problems of refugees and internally displaced persons in Azerbaijan and the work done in this field, Mustafayeva said that Azerbaijan's experience in this sphere is an example for Europe which is currently facing a migrant crisis.
The program director in the EU Azerbaijani Office, Alessandro Budai, stated that Azerbaijan is the best partner for the EU due to its geopolitical position.
He stressed the need for joint efforts in achieving common goals.
“Migration is an important direction in this field. The EU is trying to implement a balanced policy regarding migration,” said Budai. “The EU is the main donor of humanitarian aid. Last year the EU allocated one billion dollar to ensure the protection of the rights of refugees and children migrants.”
He recalled the EU and Turkey reached an agreement on the regulation of migration flows.
The president of Germany's Braunschweig Administrative Court, Wolfgang Bartsch, who is moderating the seminar, underlined the successful development of Azerbaijan.
Nazim Isgandarov, an official of the State Committee of Azerbaijan for Affairs of Refugees and IDPs, spoke about the work done in the country to address the problems of refugees and IDPs.
- 23.05.2018Payments on insurance against industrial accidents amounts to AZN 1.4M
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani MP criticizes NGOs: Many of them engaged in populism
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani MP opposes equating bride kidnapping to abduction
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani MP expresses disapproval of media coverage of suicides among youth
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani MP proposes reducing number of children for notion of multiple-children family from 5 to 3
- 23.05.2018Round table on theme “Azerbaijani family model” kicks off in parliament
- 23.05.2018MP: In most cases Facebook, SMS messages end marriages in Azerbaijan
- 23.05.2018Number of people with disabilities in Azerbaijan announced
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijan to amend law on education
- 21.05.2018Teachers to undergo certification testing in Azerbaijan
- 19.05.2018Weather forecast for May 20
- 18.05.2018Newspaper Echo closing down
- 18.05.2018More than 900 people die of HIV in Azerbaijan over past 31 years
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s SEC to hold TOEFL IBT and SAT exams
- 18.05.2018193 diagnosed with HIV in Azerbaijan in 2018, 16 mortalities reported
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan’s Minister of Ecology and Natural Resources has received a BP delegation.
- 17.05.2018Much remains to be done to solve IDPs’ problems in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC chairperson comments on suicides of two applicants
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan SEC gives applicants opportunity to change specialty groups
- 17.05.2018Carpet weaved during period of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic put on display
- 17.05.2018Bodies of Azerbaijani mountaineers handed over to families
- 16.05.2018U.S. citizens traveling by AZAL's New York-Baku flight to be granted ASAN Visa
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijani Cabinet of Ministers mulls strengthening control over illicit medicine trade
- 16.05.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new building of Nakhchivan Teachers Institute
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates secondary school in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev launches start of reconstruction of water supply system in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC announces results of entrance exams on 2nd and 3rd specialty groups
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijani president inaugurates new building of Heydar Aliyev Modern Educational Complex - UPDATED
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan creates organizing committee to hold European Youth Olympic Festival
- 15.05.2018Amount of fee for ASAN visas offered at Azerbaijani airports determined
- 15.05.2018Over 430,000 foreigners granted Azerbaijani visas via ASAN Visa since January 2017
- 15.05.2018ASAN Visa system launched at Baku’s Heydar Aliyev International Airport
- 14.05.2018Evasion from paying unemployment insurance and mandatory state social insurance to entail criminal liability
- 12.05.2018Traffic movement to be restricted in center of Baku tomorrow
- 12.05.2018Lightning, heavy rain expected in some places tomorrow
- 11.05.2018ITV Director General Jamil Guliyev removed from duty
- 11.05.2018"Sevdiyim" project presented in Azerbaijan
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC to hold entrance exams on 2nd and 3rd specialty groups on May 13
- 10.05.2018Unknown predators found in Azerbaijan’s Ismayilli
- 06.03.2017ASAN Kommunal No.3 to be opened in Baku by year-end
- 06.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Heart Center in Baku
- 06.03.2017Subahir Gurbanov testified at Akif Chovdarov’s trial - UPDATED
- 06.03.2017ASAN Kommunal No.2 commissioned in Baku
- 05.03.2017First stage of final exam for IX graders starts in Azerbaijan
- 04.03.2017One-seventh of prisoners in Azerbaijan charged with drug crimes