Int’l seminar on protection of refugee rights kicks off in Baku
A two-day international seminar on the protection of the rights of refugees kicked off in Baku March 6.
The event was co-organized by the European Union and the Institute for Human Rights of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS) within the framework of TAIEX programme.
Delivering keynote remarks at the seminar, the director of ANAS Institute of Human Rights, Ayten Mustafayeva, said that the main objective of the event is to exchange views on the protection of the rights of refugees and IDPs, the analysis of the current situation in Azerbaijan in this field and the provision of state support to them in various areas, an APA correspondent reported from the event.
Speaking about the problems of refugees and internally displaced persons in Azerbaijan and the work done in this field, Mustafayeva said that Azerbaijan's experience in this sphere is an example for Europe which is currently facing a migrant crisis.
The program director in the EU Azerbaijani Office, Alessandro Budai, stated that Azerbaijan is the best partner for the EU due to its geopolitical position.
He stressed the need for joint efforts in achieving common goals.
“Migration is an important direction in this field. The EU is trying to implement a balanced policy regarding migration,” said Budai. “The EU is the main donor of humanitarian aid. Last year the EU allocated one billion dollar to ensure the protection of the rights of refugees and children migrants.”
He recalled the EU and Turkey reached an agreement on the regulation of migration flows.
The president of Germany's Braunschweig Administrative Court, Wolfgang Bartsch, who is moderating the seminar, underlined the successful development of Azerbaijan.
Nazim Isgandarov, an official of the State Committee of Azerbaijan for Affairs of Refugees and IDPs, spoke about the work done in the country to address the problems of refugees and IDPs.
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan increases salaries of teachers working in state vocational education institutions
- 17.01.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan SEC announces dates of final, entrance exams in 2018
- 16.01.2018Keshikchi Dag monastery needs to be repaired – Azerbaijani State Service
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani State Agency for Compulsory Health Insurance becomes public legal entity
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani Supreme Court denies former health minister’s appeal
- 16.01.2018Isa Gambar in stable condition, cardiologist says
- 15.01.2018Siyavush Novruzov: If necessary, state will support Isa Gambar’s treatment
- 15.01.2018Isa Gambar’s health condition improving, cardiologist says
- 15.01.2018Health Ministry: Infant and child mortality rates in Azerbaijan drop three times
- 14.01.2018Recent discovery in Meteorites may prove there is life outside Earth - Study
- 13.01.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Sunday
- 10.01.2018Citizens of Non-Aligned movement states to get education grants in Azerbaijan
- 10.01.2018Iranian FM in Russia for talks on nuclear deal, Syria
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: 2,300 IDP families provided with new apartments in 2017
- 08.01.2018Masalli resident captures injured eagle
- 06.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on highway construction in Khachmaz
- 06.01.2018Turkish citizen standing trial in Azerbaijan
- 06.01.2018ANAMA issues 2017 annual report
- 05.01.2018FEP rates photo of Heydar Aliyev Center as ‘Cover Picture of 2017’
- 05.01.2018Man detained attempting to smuggle drugs from Iran to Azerbaijan
- 03.01.2018MES holds operational meeting on search of missing climbers
- 03.01.2018Nearly 386,000 children born worldwide on New Year’s Day, says UNICEF
- 31.12.2017Baku welcomes New Year - PHOTOSESSION
- 31.12.2017World Azerbaijanis mark Solidarity Day
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves “Law on Restriction of Use of Tobacco Products”
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan abolishes penalty for conversation that can district driver’s attention
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan establishes professional holiday of ASAN Service employees
- 29.12.2017Diabetics increase, specialists decrease in numbers in Azerbaijan
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits Yanardag Reserve
- 29.12.2017Israeli ambassador visits Pirallahi district
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan weather forecast for holidays
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani MP suggests exempting disabled from education fee
- 29.12.2017January weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan makes structural changes to Economy Ministry
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles upon several people on Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis
- 28.12.2017Relocation from Sovetsky to continue in January 2018
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijan detains Indian citizens accused of aiding illegal migration
- 27.12.2017Street in Tbilisi named after prominent Azerbaijani Rashid Behbudov
- 27.12.2017Tbilisi streets named after prominent Azerbaijanis: Many of these names exist on map only
- 06.03.2017ASAN Kommunal No.3 to be opened in Baku by year-end
- 06.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Heart Center in Baku
- 06.03.2017Subahir Gurbanov testified at Akif Chovdarov’s trial - UPDATED
- 06.03.2017ASAN Kommunal No.2 commissioned in Baku
- 05.03.2017First stage of final exam for IX graders starts in Azerbaijan
- 04.03.2017One-seventh of prisoners in Azerbaijan charged with drug crimes