Int’l seminar on human trafficking awareness kicks off in Vienna
An international seminar, entitled “Mass media and raising public awareness of human trafficking,” kicked off in Austria’s capital Vienna on May 17.
An Azerbaijani delegation led by Lieutenant Colonel Orkhan Mansurzade, deputy head of the Interior Ministry’s press service is taking part in the seminar, an APA correspondent reported from the event.
The purpose of the event is to discuss the role of media in raising public awareness of human trafficking, with special emphasis on different aspects of information human trafficking facts and victims, discussion of positive and negative practices, the outcome of media coverage for victims and public opinion, and a look into the problem from the perspective of media. During the event, possible cooperation and partnership between government, civic society, and media representatives against human trafficking were defined.
The seminar is taking place within the framework of an EU-funded project on combating human trafficking and organized crime. The seminar supports bodies combating human trafficking in Albania, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Moldova, Pakistan, and Turkey by providing them with necessary skills and knowledge.
The director general of ICMPD (International Center for Migration Policy Development), Michael Spindelegger, spoke about the significance of the project, stressing the importance of media coverage of human trafficking.
Addressing the event, Orkhan Mansurzade said that in accordance with the law on mass media in Azerbaijan, the state fully ensures the rights of citizens to search, receive, prepare and disseminate information lawfully.
Mansurzade noted that the Interior Ministry's Main Directorate for Combating Human Trafficking recorded 141 cases of human trafficking, 6 of forced labor and 19 cases on forgery of documents regarding human trafficking. “99.3 percent of criminal cases on human trafficking were solved. 38 persons were brought to justice. Courts passed 22 judgments and 26 human traffickers were arrested,” he added.
- 16.03.2018AZN 4mln allocated for construction of modular schools in four districts
- 16.03.2018South Caucasus’s most ancient jewelry item exhibited at Heydar Aliyev Center
- 16.03.2018State Migration Service employees granted high special ranks
- 16.03.2018State Committee: Turkish MP whose health suddenly deteriorated during Baku forum is in stable condition
- 16.03.2018President Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Novruz holiday
- 16.03.2018Turkish MP suffers heart attack while speaking at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 15.03.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov receives citizens in Salyan
- 15.03.2018Real TV starts satellite broadcasting
- 15.03.2018Nizami Ganjavi International Award presented to First VP Mehriban Aliyeva
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijan fines Qatari national for illegal hunting
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijani SEC announces competition for 24 vacancies in 7 state bodies
- 13.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev approves composition of Youth Foundation’s Supervisory Board
- 13.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for purchase of apartments for Karabakh war disabled, families of martyrs
- 13.03.2018New executive director of Azerbaijan Youth Foundation appointed
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijanis celebrate Wind Tuesday of Novruz Holiday
- 12.03.2018Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Salyan
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for construction of carpet factory in Sabunchu
- 09.03.2018Real TV will start satellite broadcasting on March 12
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani president ups salaries of State Security Service employees
- 08.03.2018Azerbaijan defines new procedure for financing education abroad
- 08.03.2018Azerbaijan marks International Women’s Day
- 07.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev orders increasing salaries of employees of Emergency Situations Ministry
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijan to hold first stage of final exam for 9th graders on March 11
- 07.03.2018About 2,700 Azerbaijani citizens study in Georgian universities
- 07.03.2018UNICEF: 12 million girls a year become child brides
- 06.03.2018Mexican ambassador visits Goychay
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on group of women
- 06.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva attends opening of new building of sanatorium-type orphanage-kindergarten in Mashtagha settlement
- 06.03.2018UNICEF: Incidence of early marriages reduced to almost zero in Azerbaijan
- 06.03.2018UNICEF may assist in rehabilitation of Azerbaijani children in Iraq and Syria
- 06.03.2018Azerbaijanis celebrate second Tuesday of Novruz holiday
- 03.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase salaries of employees of a number of state-funded organizations
- 03.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on additional measures to improve water supply for several villages in Sabirabad district
- 03.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase salaries of people employed in melioration, water economy, fishery fields
- 03.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase salaries of people employed in areas of housing and communal services, transport, communications.
- 03.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase salaries of people employed in agriculture, ecology, environment protection areas
- 03.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase salaries of people working in culture, youth, sports organizations
- 03.03.2018Weather condition for tomorrow announced
- 02.03.2018Project on teaching state language to Azerbaijanis introduced in Georgia
- 29.01.2016Kamaladdin Heydarov meets community representatives in Naftalan
- 30.01.2016Azerbaijani Minister of Emergency Situations visits Tapgaragoyunlu village of Goranboy region
- 30.01.2016Deputy PM: Azerbaijan considering issue of freeing drugs from VAT
- 29.01.2016Azerbaijani president awards young people
- 29.01.2016Azerbaijani president meets with a group of youth
- 29.01.2016Azerbaijan should eliminate dependence on oil – president