Int’l seminar on human trafficking awareness kicks off in Vienna
An international seminar, entitled “Mass media and raising public awareness of human trafficking,” kicked off in Austria’s capital Vienna on May 17.
An Azerbaijani delegation led by Lieutenant Colonel Orkhan Mansurzade, deputy head of the Interior Ministry’s press service is taking part in the seminar, an APA correspondent reported from the event.
The purpose of the event is to discuss the role of media in raising public awareness of human trafficking, with special emphasis on different aspects of information human trafficking facts and victims, discussion of positive and negative practices, the outcome of media coverage for victims and public opinion, and a look into the problem from the perspective of media. During the event, possible cooperation and partnership between government, civic society, and media representatives against human trafficking were defined.
The seminar is taking place within the framework of an EU-funded project on combating human trafficking and organized crime. The seminar supports bodies combating human trafficking in Albania, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Moldova, Pakistan, and Turkey by providing them with necessary skills and knowledge.
The director general of ICMPD (International Center for Migration Policy Development), Michael Spindelegger, spoke about the significance of the project, stressing the importance of media coverage of human trafficking.
Addressing the event, Orkhan Mansurzade said that in accordance with the law on mass media in Azerbaijan, the state fully ensures the rights of citizens to search, receive, prepare and disseminate information lawfully.
Mansurzade noted that the Interior Ministry's Main Directorate for Combating Human Trafficking recorded 141 cases of human trafficking, 6 of forced labor and 19 cases on forgery of documents regarding human trafficking. “99.3 percent of criminal cases on human trafficking were solved. 38 persons were brought to justice. Courts passed 22 judgments and 26 human traffickers were arrested,” he added.
- 20.07.2018WhatsApp to limit message forwarding
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev allocates AZN 1.3M to State Agency for Compulsory Health Insurance
- 19.07.2018Foreigners can get work visas in Azerbaijan through ASAN Visa – Migration Service
- 19.07.2018North-west wind to intensify in Baku in coming days
- 19.07.2018Number of foreigners granted refugee status in Azerbaijan rises
- 19.07.2018Number of foreigners visiting Azerbaijan increases
- 17.07.2018Azerbaijan increases fines for pedestrians violating road crossing rules
- 17.07.2018Azerbaijani president approves amendments to Code of Administrative Offenses
- 14.07.2018Minister: Serious violations in appointment of pensions reveal in Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018Weather forecast for July 15
- 14.07.2018Amendments to Azerbaijan’s migration legislation come into force
- 13.07.2018Number of Azerbaijani population has been announced
- 13.07.2018Sudeif Imamverdiyev awarded Sharaf Order
- 13.07.2018BHOS students to work and do internship at Petkim in Turkey
- 12.07.2018Temperature to drop in Baku
- 12.07.2018Baku Higher Oil School and Ministry of Labor and Social Protection hold joint presentation at BHOS
- 11.07.2018BHOS achieves 100 percent MBA student enrollment
- 10.07.2018Meteorologists warn of hot weather in Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018Scottish newspaper publishes names of BHOS graduates
- 09.07.2018UNEC offers second specialization free for students gaining 700 points
- 07.07.2018Head of Sumgayit water canal department fined for sewage water pumped into Caspian Sea
- 06.07.2018Temperature to drop, north-west wind to intensify in Baku
- 05.07.2018Mehriban Aliyeva: Main goal to produce graduates that meet global labor market needs
- 04.07.2018Temperature to drop by 4-6 degrees in Azerbaijan from July 5
- 04.07.2018Hot weather to stay in Absheron peninsula
- 04.07.2018Lunar eclipse to take place in July – ANAS
- 03.07.2018Meteorologists warn hot weather will continue across Azerbaijan
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani roads affected by series of landslides, new landslide-prone areas emerge in several districts
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani border guards intercept 7 trespassers
- 02.07.2018Azerbaijan to submit report on sustainable development to UN in 2019
- 02.07.2018Deputy PM: Azerbaijan to work towards goal of building a more socially oriented society by 2030
- 02.07.2018Weather temperature to reach 46C in Azerbaijan
- 30.06.2018Int’l competition and nationwide championship of junior rescuers and firefighters end in Gabal
- 30.06.2018Hot weather to prevail in Baku in coming days
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani president promotes two Interior Ministry officers
- 29.06.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov receives citizens in Siyazan
- 29.06.2018July weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan increases state duties for driving license issuance and car registration
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan extends registration period for foreigners
- 29.06.2018Post of chief probation officer created in Azerbaijan
- 29.09.2017Amendments envisaging decriminalization for use, possession of drugs in Azerbaijan considered ‘unacceptable’
- 29.09.2017US Embassy opens Salyan American Corner
- 02.10.2017Baku hosts meeting of CIS Interstate Council for natural and man-made emergencies
- 29.09.2017World-renowned Azerbaijani scientist Lotfi Zadeh laid to rest
- 29.09.2017Supreme Court revokes decision of Baku Appellate Court on blogger Mehman Huseynov
- 29.09.2017October weather forecast for Azerbaijan