Int’l seminar on human trafficking awareness kicks off in Vienna
An international seminar, entitled “Mass media and raising public awareness of human trafficking,” kicked off in Austria’s capital Vienna on May 17.
An Azerbaijani delegation led by Lieutenant Colonel Orkhan Mansurzade, deputy head of the Interior Ministry’s press service is taking part in the seminar, an APA correspondent reported from the event.
The purpose of the event is to discuss the role of media in raising public awareness of human trafficking, with special emphasis on different aspects of information human trafficking facts and victims, discussion of positive and negative practices, the outcome of media coverage for victims and public opinion, and a look into the problem from the perspective of media. During the event, possible cooperation and partnership between government, civic society, and media representatives against human trafficking were defined.
The seminar is taking place within the framework of an EU-funded project on combating human trafficking and organized crime. The seminar supports bodies combating human trafficking in Albania, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Moldova, Pakistan, and Turkey by providing them with necessary skills and knowledge.
The director general of ICMPD (International Center for Migration Policy Development), Michael Spindelegger, spoke about the significance of the project, stressing the importance of media coverage of human trafficking.
Addressing the event, Orkhan Mansurzade said that in accordance with the law on mass media in Azerbaijan, the state fully ensures the rights of citizens to search, receive, prepare and disseminate information lawfully.
Mansurzade noted that the Interior Ministry's Main Directorate for Combating Human Trafficking recorded 141 cases of human trafficking, 6 of forced labor and 19 cases on forgery of documents regarding human trafficking. “99.3 percent of criminal cases on human trafficking were solved. 38 persons were brought to justice. Courts passed 22 judgments and 26 human traffickers were arrested,” he added.
- 24.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurated new building of Salyan city secondary school No 2
- 24.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev viewed newly-renovated Neftchala Central District Hospital
- 23.09.2017Baku holding extreme “Mübarizlər” contest for 1st time
- 22.09.2017Bicycle ride under motto of “Cycling to work” held in Baku
- 22.09.2017MP Tandilyan: Combating prostitution has become a necessity in Armenia
- 22.09.2017First endoscopic liver removal operation successfully performed in Azerbaijan
- 22.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Balakhani Industrial Park
- 22.09.2017ANAMA, NATO to launch third phase of Jeyranchel clearance project
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan to apply new model of final and entrance exams
- 21.09.2017Number of IDP children studying in Azerbaijan’s military schools increases
- 19.09.2017Number of Azerbaijani students studying at state expense in China announced
- 19.09.2017MP Alizade proposes banning hookah smoking in Azerbaijan
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijan may list historical items older than 1960 as cultural resources
- 19.09.2017Foreigners to be required additional documents to get their driver licenses changed in Azerbaijan
- 19.09.2017People's Artist Fuad Poladov says he was diagnosed with lung cancer 3 months ago - UPDATED
- 19.09.2017World Bank, Azerbaijani State Committee for Refugee and IDP Affairs implement $170 mln credit projects
- 18.09.2017Tbilisi hosts int’l conference on fight against tuberculosis
- 16.09.2017Winners of essay contest amongst youth of Islamic countries awarded
- 16.09.2017Temperature to be 35C in Baku, 36C in regions tomorrow
- 16.09.2017Azerbaijan Education Ministry: Students of Tafakkur University will not be awarded a diploma because it is not accredited
- 16.09.2017New specialty to be created in master’s programme
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves 2017-2021 State Youth Programme
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan changing rules for foreigners obtaining scientific degree
- 15.09.2017Sharp decline in natural growth in Azerbaijani-populated Georgian region
- 15.09.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 15.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: School-building process in Azerbaijan going on rapidly
- 15.09.2017New building of French-Azerbaijani University inaugurated
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new building of school-lyceum in Baku - UPDATED
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani president: We ourselves set new standards
- 15.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Lots of schools in Azerbaijan repaired in recent years
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan celebrates Day of Knowledge - PHOTOSESSION
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan celebrates Knowledge Day
- 13.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev grants scholarship to students admitted to universities
- 13.09.2017UNHCR report highlights education crisis for refugee children
- 13.09.2017Another IBA official standing trial on fraud charges
- 13.09.2017Georgian Azerbaijanis stage protest over Myanmar violence
- 13.09.2017Lapshin thanks Azerbaijani president for pardoning him
- 12.09.2017Trial of Azerbaijan MNS ex-officials continues
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani SEC: Additional exams to be held for students who missed final exams
- 11.09.2017Lapshin will most likely be sent to Israel tomorrow – lawyer
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijani Education Ministry to terminate employment contracts with teachers recruited without competition
- 18.05.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov meets ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 19.05.2017Health Ministry: 108 people diagnosed with HIV in Azerbaijan in 1Q 2017
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan launches campaign to aid Syrian children
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan’s population exceeds 9.8 million
- 17.05.2017More than 1.2 million adolescents die every year