Int’l seminar on human trafficking awareness kicks off in Vienna
An international seminar, entitled “Mass media and raising public awareness of human trafficking,” kicked off in Austria’s capital Vienna on May 17.
An Azerbaijani delegation led by Lieutenant Colonel Orkhan Mansurzade, deputy head of the Interior Ministry’s press service is taking part in the seminar, an APA correspondent reported from the event.
The purpose of the event is to discuss the role of media in raising public awareness of human trafficking, with special emphasis on different aspects of information human trafficking facts and victims, discussion of positive and negative practices, the outcome of media coverage for victims and public opinion, and a look into the problem from the perspective of media. During the event, possible cooperation and partnership between government, civic society, and media representatives against human trafficking were defined.
The seminar is taking place within the framework of an EU-funded project on combating human trafficking and organized crime. The seminar supports bodies combating human trafficking in Albania, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Moldova, Pakistan, and Turkey by providing them with necessary skills and knowledge.
The director general of ICMPD (International Center for Migration Policy Development), Michael Spindelegger, spoke about the significance of the project, stressing the importance of media coverage of human trafficking.
Addressing the event, Orkhan Mansurzade said that in accordance with the law on mass media in Azerbaijan, the state fully ensures the rights of citizens to search, receive, prepare and disseminate information lawfully.
Mansurzade noted that the Interior Ministry's Main Directorate for Combating Human Trafficking recorded 141 cases of human trafficking, 6 of forced labor and 19 cases on forgery of documents regarding human trafficking. “99.3 percent of criminal cases on human trafficking were solved. 38 persons were brought to justice. Courts passed 22 judgments and 26 human traffickers were arrested,” he added.
- 22.06.2017Former Azerbaijani health minister gets his appeal denied by court
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on telecommunications
- 22.06.2017Preliminary hearing held for Alexander Lapshin - UPDATED
- 21.06.2017Two Universities in Azerbaijan to get public legal entity status
- 21.06.2017Sayyaf Ismayilov awarded “Honored Civil Servant” title
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijani president signs order on granting young talents a special stipend
- 21.06.2017Justice Ministry comments on lawyers’ statement about Akif Chovdarov’s health
- 21.06.2017Justice Ministry: Doctors are closely following Lapshin’s health condition
- 21.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of Narimanov District Court
- 20.06.2017US Embassy celebrates opening of Ganja American Corner
- 20.06.2017Court rejects Afgan Mukhtarli’s petition
- 20.06.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Jalilabad
- 20.06.2017ADA University hosts event to mark World Refugee Day
- 19.06.2017Ex-ministry official Vidadi Zeynalov again partially reimburses damage caused to state
- 19.06.2017Entrance to part of Baku Seaside National Park to be closed from June 20 to 26
- 19.06.2017Traffic restricted in Baku’s central streets due to F1 Grand Prix
- 19.06.2017War, violence, persecution push displacement to new unprecedented high: UNHCR report
- 19.06.2017US ambassador visits Ganja
- 17.06.2017Traffic police address drivers in connection with Formula 1
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan University of Languages to get public legal entity status
- 16.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on healthcare workers
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan allocates two hospitals for F1 Grand Prix
- 16.06.2017Number of official unemployed population announced
- 16.06.20174-magnitude earthquake hits Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 16.06.2017Number of Azerbaijan population increases 0.3%
- 16.06.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Jalilabad
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan restricts entry of 264 foreigners in May
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan: Military service problems of male students with 1-2 unpaid academic debts to be solved
- 15.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended memorial event for outstanding scientist, academician Rafiga Aliyeva
- 14.06.2017European Union celebrates the launch of its media projects and congratulates winners of its competitions
- 14.06.2017Jojug Marjanli resident awarded “Labor” Order
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijan’s deputy PM: Mandatory medical insurance fees should be acceptable to citizens
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijani schools celebrate Day of Farewell Bell
- 13.06.2017Lapshin to stand trial on June 22 - UPDATED
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijan: Deaths among children aged under 1 mainly observed in Baku
- 13.06.2017Ex-ministry official Vidadi Zeynalov pays for part of damage caused to state
- 13.06.2017ANAS president: Farmlands make up 20 percent of Azerbaijan’s territory
- 12.06.2017UNEC hosts conference dedicated to Nobel Prize winner Aziz Sancar
- 12.06.2017Aziz Sancar: When I was awarded Nobel Prize, entire Turkic world was pleased
- 12.06.2017Mud volcano erupts in Azerbaijan
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijani Education Ministry to terminate employment contracts with teachers recruited without competition
- 18.05.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov meets ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 19.05.2017Health Ministry: 108 people diagnosed with HIV in Azerbaijan in 1Q 2017
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan launches campaign to aid Syrian children
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan’s population exceeds 9.8 million
- 17.05.2017More than 1.2 million adolescents die every year