Int’l NGO coalition ‘Stop Metsamor’ established
A conference was held in Baku June 2 in connection with the establishment of the coalition.
Addressing the conference, Telman Zeynalov, chairman of Azerbaijan’s National Center for Ecological Prognosis, said that the Metsamor nuclear power plant, commissioned in 1976 and the operational life of which has expired, poses a big threat to the region.
He said that relevant international organizations have stated that the operation term of the plant expired in 2006, but the Armenian side has been extending this period for ten years.
The NPP is a source of pollution for a large area and poisons the groundwater, Zeynalov said stressing the need to achieve the immediate closure of this plant.
In his speech, Rauf Sardarli, professor of Azerbaijan Institute of Radiation Problems, recalled that in 2003 the NPP was transferred to the management of a Russian company for five years.
According to him, at the moment, this nuclear power plant produces about 40 percent of Armenia’s electricity.
He went on to say that many units in the plant are out of use and the amount of radioactive waste is large.
“It should be noted that the NPP is located on the territory bordering with Azerbaijan, Turkey and Georgia. Only in Armenia about two million people live near the plant,” the professor said.
Sardarli added that the European Commission’s report for 2012 states the impossibility of restoring the plan. However, Armenia still ignores the statements of a number of international organizations.
Israeli representative Arye Gut in turn said that Armenia threatens regional security.
“It is impossible to predict which step they will take. Today, everyone knows that fascist forces are in the power in Armenia and the use of a “dirty” bomb wouldn’t be a problem for them. What one can expect from a regime that committed genocide in Khojaly?! Therefore, I urge everybody and all the neighboring countries to solve this problem. We should unite our efforts, member countries should hold such conferences in their own countries,” he emphasized.
The head of the “Intra-national Liberation Movement” in Armenia, Vahan Martirosyan, who joined the conference via a video call, stated that the NPP is a source of threat for Armenia and the world.
He noted that the Armenians are also concerned about this issue, but they are afraid of expressing it.
“The Armenian authorities don’t care about the future of the Armenian people. Armenia doesn’t pay attention to violations in order to get huge profits with Russia. Despite the warning of the leading nuclear experts, the Armenian government has already started the construction of the 3rd electrical installation that increases the risks. So I consider that not only NGOs, but also international organizations should join this coalition,” he stressed.
Addressing the conference, the Russian and Turkish representatives also underlined that the NPP has already become a threat and it should be immediately shut down.
- 20.02.2018Presidential pension for Azerbaijan’s national heroes increases
- 20.02.2018Ilham Aliyev orders increasing presidential pension for Great Patriotic War veterans
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani president appoints members of Civil Service Management Board
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani court commences hearing on Afgan Mukhtarli’s appeal
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan starts relocating IDP families to new settlement in Tartar
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan specifies what medications caused severe poisoning
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan imports most medicines from Europe – Health Ministry
- 20.02.2018Guba-Khinalig road reopened after avalanche
- 19.02.2018Pension for 20 January disabled increased by 10%
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani president increases monthly pension for citizens disabled in war
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss bill on state fingerprinting and genome registration
- 17.02.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Sunday
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan detains 26 foreigners in anti-migration op
- 16.02.2018Italian architects prepared project for Yanardagh complex construction – envoy
- 16.02.2018Baku to host Italian Design Day
- 16.02.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Saturday
- 16.02.2018Georgian education minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2018ASAN and ABAD very good Azerbaijani brands: EU envoy
- 16.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers: Families relocated from Bayil landslide area to be given rental money
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan discloses non-working days in March 2018
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani State Commission: 3,875 persons listed as missing
- 15.02.2018State Border Service detains 45 trespassers in January
- 15.02.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan prohibits holding positions of department head and dean at the same time at university
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani SEC announces interview for 165 vacant positions in 6 state bodies
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijani president signs order on additional measures for improvement of social protection of population
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijani teachers issue statement on upcoming presidential election
- 13.02.2018Number of people with disabilities in Azerbaijan announced
- 13.02.2018U.S. helps young IDPs build career skills
- 13.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers specifies date of final decision with regard to landslide area in Bayil
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani State Migration Service detains 11 foreigners
- 12.02.2018Guba Genocide Memorial Complex under reconstruction
- 12.02.2018Plan of events on 26th anniversary of Khojaly genocide approved
- 10.02.2018Four houses destoryed after landslide hits Bayil, no casualities reported
- 10.02.2018190 years pass since signing of Turkmenchay treaty
- 09.02.2018Health Ministry official proposes to allow organ trade in Azerbaijan
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijani SEC reveals results of admission examination to Collegium of Advocates
- 08.02.2018Tbilisi court sentences Azerbaijani doctor to 6 years in prison
- 08.02.2018Presentation of Expo 2025 Baku held at UN Headquarters
- 07.02.2018Azerbaijan sees increase in number of donors, amounts of donated blood
- 02.06.2016Azerbaijan to develop bill limiting cigarette consumption
- 02.06.2016“Civil Society Dialogue’ project presented in Baku
- 02.06.2016‘German science played big role in Armenization of Karabakh history over 150 years’
- 02.06.2016Road on Azerbaijan’s Ismayilli useless after landslide, 3 villages lose access to district center
- 02.06.2016Azerbaijan among world's most smoking countries
- 01.06.2016Azerbaijan creates ASAN Visa system