Int’l NGO coalition ‘Stop Metsamor’ established
A conference was held in Baku June 2 in connection with the establishment of the coalition.
Addressing the conference, Telman Zeynalov, chairman of Azerbaijan’s National Center for Ecological Prognosis, said that the Metsamor nuclear power plant, commissioned in 1976 and the operational life of which has expired, poses a big threat to the region.
He said that relevant international organizations have stated that the operation term of the plant expired in 2006, but the Armenian side has been extending this period for ten years.
The NPP is a source of pollution for a large area and poisons the groundwater, Zeynalov said stressing the need to achieve the immediate closure of this plant.
In his speech, Rauf Sardarli, professor of Azerbaijan Institute of Radiation Problems, recalled that in 2003 the NPP was transferred to the management of a Russian company for five years.
According to him, at the moment, this nuclear power plant produces about 40 percent of Armenia’s electricity.
He went on to say that many units in the plant are out of use and the amount of radioactive waste is large.
“It should be noted that the NPP is located on the territory bordering with Azerbaijan, Turkey and Georgia. Only in Armenia about two million people live near the plant,” the professor said.
Sardarli added that the European Commission’s report for 2012 states the impossibility of restoring the plan. However, Armenia still ignores the statements of a number of international organizations.
Israeli representative Arye Gut in turn said that Armenia threatens regional security.
“It is impossible to predict which step they will take. Today, everyone knows that fascist forces are in the power in Armenia and the use of a “dirty” bomb wouldn’t be a problem for them. What one can expect from a regime that committed genocide in Khojaly?! Therefore, I urge everybody and all the neighboring countries to solve this problem. We should unite our efforts, member countries should hold such conferences in their own countries,” he emphasized.
The head of the “Intra-national Liberation Movement” in Armenia, Vahan Martirosyan, who joined the conference via a video call, stated that the NPP is a source of threat for Armenia and the world.
He noted that the Armenians are also concerned about this issue, but they are afraid of expressing it.
“The Armenian authorities don’t care about the future of the Armenian people. Armenia doesn’t pay attention to violations in order to get huge profits with Russia. Despite the warning of the leading nuclear experts, the Armenian government has already started the construction of the 3rd electrical installation that increases the risks. So I consider that not only NGOs, but also international organizations should join this coalition,” he stressed.
Addressing the conference, the Russian and Turkish representatives also underlined that the NPP has already become a threat and it should be immediately shut down.
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijan Teacher Development Centre authorized as CELTA Training Centre
- 21.06.2018Date of Kamaladdin Heydarov’s reception of citizens in Siyazan rescheduled
- 21.06.2018New youth peace platform presented in Tbilisi
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan well understands what pains of conflicts feel like, UN rep says
- 20.06.2018Housing conditions of 265,000 refugees, IDPs improved in Azerbaijan so far: State Committee
- 20.06.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Siyazan
- 20.06.2018About 65,000 students to take part in final exams in Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018Temperature to be 31C in Baku, 36C in regions tomorrow
- 18.06.2018Weather forecast for June 19
- 16.06.2018“Mübarizlər” contest kicks off in Baku
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani MES hosts meeting with U.S. Oklahoma National Guard delegation
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan calculating compulsory health insurance fees
- 14.06.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani citizens to have 5 consecutive non-working days to mark Eid al-Fitr and National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani schools celebrate Day of Farewell Bell
- 13.06.2018Baku's bid to host World Expo 2025 presented at BIE
- 13.06.2018Human rights activist meets daycare worker detained for child maltreatment
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament passes bill on protecting children from harmful information
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan Education Ministry reveals number of transfers students in 2018
- 12.06.2018Over 140,000 educators undergo diagnostic assessment in Azerbaijan over past four years
- 12.06.2018225 Azerbaijani citizens qualified for study abroad in academic year 2017-18 academic year
- 12.06.2018ATDC accredited as Cambridge Professional Development Centre
- 11.06.2018Leyla Novruzova, who was promoted to BP's London office: I’m not very good in planning my career - INTERVIEW
- 08.06.2018Libraff bookstore opens in Baku
- 08.06.2018Weekend weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani representative elected member of UN Committee on Elimination of Discrimination against Women
- 08.06.2018Akif Alizadeh re-elected president of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences - UPDATED
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan has region’s most secure data center, minister says
- 08.06.2018Many products brought to Azerbaijan in plastic containers – ministry
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Migration Service launches new e-service for foreigners, stateless persons
- 08.06.2018Specialty selection for master's degree starts in Azerbaijan
- 08.06.2018New president of ANAS to be elected today
- 06.06.2018Strong, destructive earthquake not expected in Azerbaijan – top seismologist
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Bar Association rejects rumors on alleged bias towards lawyers with opposition views
- 06.06.2018Inauguration of new lawyers held in Azerbaijan
- 06.06.2018No causalities reported after quake in Azerbaijan’s Zagatala: Health Ministry
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani setting up electronic system for assessment of judicial activity
- 06.06.2018Aftershocks likely to continue after strong earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Zagatala – Seismic Survey Center
- 05.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: Development of Azerbaijan’s healthcare system remains center of attention
- 05.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Naftalan City Central Hospital
- 12.10.2011AZN 44.3 mln to be allocated from state budget for maintenance of judicial system in Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2011UK unemployment hits highest level for 17 years
- 12.10.2011Azerbaijan to allocate AZN 595.1 million to healthcare next year
- 12.10.2011Azerbaijan increases education expenditures
- 12.10.2011Ganira Pashayeva proposes to harden punishment mechanisms for negligent doctors
- 12.10.2011Education Ministry: Special criteria prepared for teachers above 70 having scientific degrees and honorary titles