Int’l experience shows risk of sexually transmitted diseases is higher, sociologist says
The latest incidents and observations point to the fact that when people of unconventional sexual orientation offer their services on streets, a growing number among them become infected with Sexually transmitted diseases, sociologist Javid Imamoglu told APA.
According to him, international experience and studies show that the risk of sexually transmitted diseases is higher.
“For example, studies from America and Europe have shown that sexually transmitted diseases are more diverse among bisexual women and men who are in homosexual relationship, let alone heterosexuals. Due to lack of study and data about Azerbaijan, we cannot voice an opinion based on facts,” he said.
He noted that the latest incidents and observations point to the fact that when people of unconventional sexual orientation offer their services on streets, a growing number among them become infected with Sexually transmitted diseases. “This is due to their life style. The one who has intercourse with those offering sexual services in the streets should be careful,” the sociologist said.
Imamoglu underlined the need to conduct educational work for homosexuals to be aware of their disease.
According to the sociologist, although sexually transmitted diseases are treated, they do not go completely, even they can lead to death.
“We do not know and have to know who hetero is and who homo is. If a person often changes his or her partners, the risk is great. Rehabilitation work should be done in respect to those persons. It should be detected if they are virus carriers and they should be provided with constant medical care and psychological support,” he added.
The sociologist also commented on some reports that evaluate the raids conducted by law enforcement agencies as harassment and violation of the rights of sexual minorities in Azerbaijan.
He stressed that in Azerbaijan there are no problems with the adoption of cultural diversity and people of different orientations.
“Due to our weak propaganda machine, some Western circles have a misconception. Some alleges that people of different orientations are under pressure in Azerbaijan. Information should be accurate. The press should deliver information to Council of Europe, the European Union and other organizations in English in a professional manner. We should conduct propaganda in the international arena not in local websites. If the police eliminate outrage in the street, it is done in accordance with the law. Even if these actions are committed by heterosexuals, they will encounter the same attitude. We are not afraid of homosexuals. There are enough homosexuals in the country. The cultural diversity and people of different orientations are recognized in Azerbaijan,” added the sociologist.
Based on numerous requests from citizens, Baku Main Police Office took measures in order to identify individuals who offer paid intimate services to local citizens and foreign tourists in evenings in the central parts of the city, especially in Nasimi, Narimanov, Sabail and Yasamal districts, violate the public order by insulting those who refuse these services and causing a dispute, as well as to check whether they are carriers of skin and venereal diseases.
According to the current results of medical and laboratory examinations, 32 patients have been diagnosed with various venereal diseases, including 6 with AIDS, six with HIV, 16 with syphilis, 2 in acute urethritis, Candida albicans and Trichomoniasis , and 2 with hepatitis HVC virus.
Some western circles and the media regarded it as an alleged prosecution of sexual minorities in Azerbaijan and violation of their rights.
Related news releases
- 17.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards Ali bey Huseynzade’s daughter “Dostlug” Order
- 17.03.2018Monument to victims of genocide committed by Armenia erected in Guba
- 16.03.2018AZN 4mln allocated for construction of modular schools in four districts
- 16.03.2018South Caucasus’s most ancient jewelry item exhibited at Heydar Aliyev Center
- 16.03.2018State Migration Service employees granted high special ranks
- 16.03.2018State Committee: Turkish MP whose health suddenly deteriorated during Baku forum is in stable condition
- 16.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Novruz holiday
- 16.03.2018Turkish MP suffers heart attack while speaking at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 15.03.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov receives citizens in Salyan
- 15.03.2018Real TV starts satellite broadcasting
- 15.03.2018Nizami Ganjavi International Award presented to First VP Mehriban Aliyeva
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijan fines Qatari national for illegal hunting
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijani SEC announces competition for 24 vacancies in 7 state bodies
- 13.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev approves composition of Youth Foundation’s Supervisory Board
- 13.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for purchase of apartments for Karabakh war disabled, families of martyrs
- 13.03.2018New executive director of Azerbaijan Youth Foundation appointed
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijanis celebrate Wind Tuesday of Novruz Holiday
- 12.03.2018Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Salyan
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for construction of carpet factory in Sabunchu
- 09.03.2018Real TV will start satellite broadcasting on March 12
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani president ups salaries of State Security Service employees
- 08.03.2018Azerbaijan defines new procedure for financing education abroad
- 08.03.2018Azerbaijan marks International Women’s Day
- 07.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev orders increasing salaries of employees of Emergency Situations Ministry
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijan to hold first stage of final exam for 9th graders on March 11
- 07.03.2018About 2,700 Azerbaijani citizens study in Georgian universities
- 07.03.2018UNICEF: 12 million girls a year become child brides
- 06.03.2018Mexican ambassador visits Goychay
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on group of women
- 06.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva attends opening of new building of sanatorium-type orphanage-kindergarten in Mashtagha settlement
- 06.03.2018UNICEF: Incidence of early marriages reduced to almost zero in Azerbaijan
- 06.03.2018UNICEF may assist in rehabilitation of Azerbaijani children in Iraq and Syria
- 06.03.2018Azerbaijanis celebrate second Tuesday of Novruz holiday
- 03.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase salaries of employees of a number of state-funded organizations
- 03.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on additional measures to improve water supply for several villages in Sabirabad district
- 03.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase salaries of people employed in melioration, water economy, fishery fields
- 03.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase salaries of people employed in areas of housing and communal services, transport, communications.
- 03.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase salaries of people employed in agriculture, ecology, environment protection areas
- 03.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase salaries of people working in culture, youth, sports organizations
- 04.10.2017Euronews presents report about Azerbaijan's Lahij city - VIDEO
- 04.10.2017Men also among victims of domestic violence in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 04.10.2017Minister Kamaleddin Heydarov meets with CEO of Italian Leonardo company
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijan’s ex-health minister appeals to Supreme Court chairman
- 03.10.2017Kamal Abdullayev granted Azerbaijani president’s personal stipend
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani State Committee against children’s involuntary involvement in religious ceremonies