Institute of Archaeology and Ethnography: Georgians falsified facts during restoration at Keshikchidagh monastery complex
He said Georgian elements in the Keshikchidagh monastery complex began to emerge in 1836.
“In 705, the Arab Caliphate ordered the closure of Albanian churches. But they still were open until the Synod in Petersburg decided to close them in 1836. At the time, there was little interest in churches because Islam had been deeply established in Azerbaijan. So there began to manifest Georgian elements in churches located in Georgia. There are descriptions inside some of the 72 caves in the area of the Keshikchidagh monastery complex. The castle-churches up there have nothing to do with Georgians. A photograph shot by Georgian historian Muskhelishvili in 1948 shows quite a different view of today’s Keshikchidagh monastery complex. Temples in Georgian territory have gone through extensive restoration and even those located in Azerbaijani territory have been restored by Georgians. It seems they have done some falsification too during the restoration,” said Arif Mammadov.
The department head added that today the monastery complex is located at the Azerbaijan-Georgia border but in fact, considering the Caucasian Albania used to cover far larger areas than modern-day Azerbaijani territory, those caves should have been located at the heart of the Caucasian Albania, far from the modern border.
“Some of those caves in the same form are located in the Republic of Georgia, at a distance of 10-12km from the border. I and Imash Hajiyev study the descriptions in those temples. Archeological research in that area discovered that at the foot of the area where the monastery complex is located there are barrows dating back to the Late Bronze and Early Iron ages,” said the historian.
He also noted that materials found during excavation prove that early human settlements in that area may have begun at least the late second millennium B.C. and the first millennium B.C.
“Human settlements emerged there during the Iron Age and lasted until the late Middle Ages,” he said.
The historian stressed that there is a need for new archeological work at the Keshikchidagh monastery complex.
Related news releases
- 24.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurated new building of Salyan city secondary school No 2
- 24.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev viewed newly-renovated Neftchala Central District Hospital
- 23.09.2017Baku holding extreme “Mübarizlər” contest for 1st time
- 22.09.2017Bicycle ride under motto of “Cycling to work” held in Baku
- 22.09.2017MP Tandilyan: Combating prostitution has become a necessity in Armenia
- 22.09.2017First endoscopic liver removal operation successfully performed in Azerbaijan
- 22.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Balakhani Industrial Park
- 22.09.2017ANAMA, NATO to launch third phase of Jeyranchel clearance project
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan to apply new model of final and entrance exams
- 21.09.2017Number of IDP children studying in Azerbaijan’s military schools increases
- 19.09.2017Number of Azerbaijani students studying at state expense in China announced
- 19.09.2017MP Alizade proposes banning hookah smoking in Azerbaijan
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijan may list historical items older than 1960 as cultural resources
- 19.09.2017Foreigners to be required additional documents to get their driver licenses changed in Azerbaijan
- 19.09.2017People's Artist Fuad Poladov says he was diagnosed with lung cancer 3 months ago - UPDATED
- 19.09.2017World Bank, Azerbaijani State Committee for Refugee and IDP Affairs implement $170 mln credit projects
- 18.09.2017Tbilisi hosts int’l conference on fight against tuberculosis
- 16.09.2017Winners of essay contest amongst youth of Islamic countries awarded
- 16.09.2017Temperature to be 35C in Baku, 36C in regions tomorrow
- 16.09.2017Azerbaijan Education Ministry: Students of Tafakkur University will not be awarded a diploma because it is not accredited
- 16.09.2017New specialty to be created in master’s programme
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves 2017-2021 State Youth Programme
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan changing rules for foreigners obtaining scientific degree
- 15.09.2017Sharp decline in natural growth in Azerbaijani-populated Georgian region
- 15.09.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 15.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: School-building process in Azerbaijan going on rapidly
- 15.09.2017New building of French-Azerbaijani University inaugurated
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new building of school-lyceum in Baku - UPDATED
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani president: We ourselves set new standards
- 15.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Lots of schools in Azerbaijan repaired in recent years
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan celebrates Day of Knowledge - PHOTOSESSION
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan celebrates Knowledge Day
- 13.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev grants scholarship to students admitted to universities
- 13.09.2017UNHCR report highlights education crisis for refugee children
- 13.09.2017Another IBA official standing trial on fraud charges
- 13.09.2017Georgian Azerbaijanis stage protest over Myanmar violence
- 13.09.2017Lapshin thanks Azerbaijani president for pardoning him
- 12.09.2017Trial of Azerbaijan MNS ex-officials continues
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani SEC: Additional exams to be held for students who missed final exams
- 11.09.2017Lapshin will most likely be sent to Israel tomorrow – lawyer
- 26.11.2015Book titled “First-hand information about Sumgait events” presented in Baku
- 26.11.2015ASAN successes hailed in diplomatic quarter of Paris
- 26.11.2015Radical group block Nardaran entries
- 26.11.2015Azerbaijan not to finance projects of foreign NGOs in 2016
- 25.11.2015Azerbaijan, Iran discuss expansion of cooperation in emergency management
- 25.11.2015Trade unions most massive, well-organized public force in Azerbaijan, says presidential aide