Institute of Archaeology and Ethnography: Georgians falsified facts during restoration at Keshikchidagh monastery complex
He said Georgian elements in the Keshikchidagh monastery complex began to emerge in 1836.
“In 705, the Arab Caliphate ordered the closure of Albanian churches. But they still were open until the Synod in Petersburg decided to close them in 1836. At the time, there was little interest in churches because Islam had been deeply established in Azerbaijan. So there began to manifest Georgian elements in churches located in Georgia. There are descriptions inside some of the 72 caves in the area of the Keshikchidagh monastery complex. The castle-churches up there have nothing to do with Georgians. A photograph shot by Georgian historian Muskhelishvili in 1948 shows quite a different view of today’s Keshikchidagh monastery complex. Temples in Georgian territory have gone through extensive restoration and even those located in Azerbaijani territory have been restored by Georgians. It seems they have done some falsification too during the restoration,” said Arif Mammadov.
The department head added that today the monastery complex is located at the Azerbaijan-Georgia border but in fact, considering the Caucasian Albania used to cover far larger areas than modern-day Azerbaijani territory, those caves should have been located at the heart of the Caucasian Albania, far from the modern border.
“Some of those caves in the same form are located in the Republic of Georgia, at a distance of 10-12km from the border. I and Imash Hajiyev study the descriptions in those temples. Archeological research in that area discovered that at the foot of the area where the monastery complex is located there are barrows dating back to the Late Bronze and Early Iron ages,” said the historian.
He also noted that materials found during excavation prove that early human settlements in that area may have begun at least the late second millennium B.C. and the first millennium B.C.
“Human settlements emerged there during the Iron Age and lasted until the late Middle Ages,” he said.
The historian stressed that there is a need for new archeological work at the Keshikchidagh monastery complex.
Related news releases
- 08.12.2016Azerbaijan to mark Agil Aliyev's 90th jubilee
- 07.12.2016AZN 1M allocated for construction of houses for 20 IDP families in Aghdam
- 06.12.2016Leyla Aliyeva: AMOR has done a great job in past eight years
- 06.12.2016Azerbaijan may reconsider status of refugees and IDPs
- 05.12.2016New deposits of gold, silver, copper discovered in Azerbaijan
- 05.12.2016Azerbaijan eyes fining drivers for misuse of disabled car stickers
- 04.12.2016Parkinson's disease linked to gut bacteria: study
- 03.12.2016Journalist Khadija Ismayilova files appeals against court decisions
- 03.12.2016Ilham Aliyev launches Tartar city water supply and sanitation system
- 02.12.2016President Ilham Aliyev: "All our steps are of social nature"
- 02.12.2016President Ilham Aliyev viewed newly renovated Zardab District Central Hospital
- 02.12.2016Court continues trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official - UPDATED
- 02.12.2016Prosecutor seeks nine years for ex-Azerbaijani footballer
- 02.12.2016Azerbaijani Education Ministry clarifies non-recognition of diplomas granted via distance learning abroad
- 02.12.2016Azerbaijani MP objects to suspension of subsidies to local executive authorities
- 02.12.2016Council of Rectors to be established in Azerbaijan
- 01.12.2016President Ilham Aliyev awards group of ICT professionals
- 01.12.2016Azerbaijani population will exceed 9.8 million as at end of 2017 - minister
- 01.12.2016WHO: 'HIV cases reach over 2 million for the first time in Europe’
- 01.12.2016Saudi Arabia sends over 37 tons of meat for Azerbaijani IDPs
- 01.12.2016Azerbaijan launches digital broadcasting in several districts
- 30.11.2016Kemaleddin Heydarov meets with Iran’s ICT minister
- 30.11.2016Court continues trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-employees
- 30.11.2016Five leopard cubs born in Azerbaijan - VIDEO
- 30.11.2016December weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 29.11.2016AZN 30M allocated for implementation of pilot project on compulsory health insurance in Azerbaijan
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani parliament approves draft law on combating doping
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijan to authorize search operations to be conducted without witnesses
- 29.11.2016Advertisements in foreign languages is obstacle to development of Azerbaijani language, MP says
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijan modifies law on organ transplantation
- 29.11.2016Tariff Council: Price change on public transport is not on agenda
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijan declares days off over Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha for 2017
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijan to have 9 non-working days on Novruz Holiday
- 28.11.2016Tariff Council differentiates tariffs for utilities
- 28.11.2016About 1,000 maternal death facts recorded in Azerbaijan in past 25 years
- 28.11.2016The Queen’s 90th Birthday: Celebratory book launched at Windsor Castle November
- 28.11.2016Azerbaijani desire for peace highlighted at International Peace and Sport Forum in Monaco
- 28.11.2016About 14,000 Azerbaijan citizens study in Russian high schools
- 28.11.2016Nearly 90,000 students in Azerbaijan receive education in Russian: minister
- 26.11.2016Azerbaijani chalet opens for second consecutive year at Mulhouse’s legendary Christmas market
- 26.11.2015Book titled “First-hand information about Sumgait events” presented in Baku
- 26.11.2015ASAN successes hailed in diplomatic quarter of Paris
- 26.11.2015Radical group block Nardaran entries
- 26.11.2015Azerbaijan not to finance projects of foreign NGOs in 2016
- 25.11.2015Azerbaijan, Iran discuss expansion of cooperation in emergency management
- 25.11.2015Trade unions most massive, well-organized public force in Azerbaijan, says presidential aide