Institute of Archaeology and Ethnography: Georgians falsified facts during restoration at Keshikchidagh monastery complex
He said Georgian elements in the Keshikchidagh monastery complex began to emerge in 1836.
“In 705, the Arab Caliphate ordered the closure of Albanian churches. But they still were open until the Synod in Petersburg decided to close them in 1836. At the time, there was little interest in churches because Islam had been deeply established in Azerbaijan. So there began to manifest Georgian elements in churches located in Georgia. There are descriptions inside some of the 72 caves in the area of the Keshikchidagh monastery complex. The castle-churches up there have nothing to do with Georgians. A photograph shot by Georgian historian Muskhelishvili in 1948 shows quite a different view of today’s Keshikchidagh monastery complex. Temples in Georgian territory have gone through extensive restoration and even those located in Azerbaijani territory have been restored by Georgians. It seems they have done some falsification too during the restoration,” said Arif Mammadov.
The department head added that today the monastery complex is located at the Azerbaijan-Georgia border but in fact, considering the Caucasian Albania used to cover far larger areas than modern-day Azerbaijani territory, those caves should have been located at the heart of the Caucasian Albania, far from the modern border.
“Some of those caves in the same form are located in the Republic of Georgia, at a distance of 10-12km from the border. I and Imash Hajiyev study the descriptions in those temples. Archeological research in that area discovered that at the foot of the area where the monastery complex is located there are barrows dating back to the Late Bronze and Early Iron ages,” said the historian.
He also noted that materials found during excavation prove that early human settlements in that area may have begun at least the late second millennium B.C. and the first millennium B.C.
“Human settlements emerged there during the Iron Age and lasted until the late Middle Ages,” he said.
The historian stressed that there is a need for new archeological work at the Keshikchidagh monastery complex.
Related news releases
- 19.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev awards power engineering specialists
- 19.10.2016Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov meets with governor of Iran’s Ardabil
- 19.10.2016Unsteady weather to continue in Azerbaijan
- 18.10.2016ANAS: Azerbaijan’s administrative-territorial division should be changed
- 17.10.2016Number of Azerbaijani population announced
- 17.10.2016Azerbaijani population reaches 9.77 million
- 17.10.2016One of largest avenues in Baku closed to traffic due to heavy rains
- 17.10.20167 substances proposed to be banned in Azerbaijan as illegal drugs
- 17.10.2016Ashura blood donor found infected with HIV: Azerbaijani Health Ministry
- 17.10.2016Azerbaijani Education Ministry: diagnostic assessment of teachers to be held in 26 districts
- 15.10.2016138 people killed in traffic accidents in Baku this year
- 15.10.2016Deputy PM: Even in case of significant change in manat rate, drug importers not to face serious problems
- 15.10.2016200 employees of Azerbaijan Teachers’ Institute employed at Pedagogical University
- 14.10.2016President: Azerbaijan intends to develop pharmaceutical industry
- 14.10.2016Two tons of illegal drugs seized in Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2016Unsteady weather forecasted in Azerbaijan in coming days
- 14.10.2016Azerbaijan defines educational benefits for children deprived of parental care
- 14.10.2016More school leavers begin to score high in Azerbaijani entrance exams - minister
- 13.10.2016Azerbaijan’s Emergencies Ministry holds command and staff exercise
- 13.10.2016EU, CoE to carry projects for journalists, court staff, employees of administrative authorities in Azerbaijan
- 13.10.2016Book dedicated to 25th anniversary of Azerbaijan’s independence presented in Baku
- 12.10.2016US, Azerbaijan improve water supply in Guba
- 12.10.2016CMO chairman donates blood on Ashura Day
- 12.10.2016Azerbaijan to ban import of medicines with instructions in foreign language
- 12.10.2016Presidential Administration: Migrants attempting to illegally enter Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2016Azerbaijan launches blood donation campaign over Ashura Day
- 11.10.2016Azerbaijan’s Penitentiary Service announces staff change
- 11.10.2016Azerbaijan increases monthly allowance for national heroes
- 11.10.2016Azerbaijan’s Tariff Council to specify amount of fee for participation in civil service exams
- 10.10.2016More people in Azerbaijan seek psychological assistance after manat devaluation
- 07.10.201610th Int’l Education Exhibition kicks off in Baku
- 06.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev grants young talents special stipend
- 06.10.2016Azerbaijani Justice Ministry, ICRC expand collaboration
- 06.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new park complex in Baku
- 06.10.2016Azerbaijan to purchase new decoders in connection with transition to digital broadcasting
- 06.10.2016US-Azerbaijan celebrate new medical facility in Beylagan
- 05.10.2016About 110,000 people undergo premarital examination in Azerbaijan since early 2016
- 05.10.2016Nobel Prize in chemistry given to three scientists for building 'molecular machines'
- 05.10.20164-magnitude quake hits Caspian Sea
- 05.10.2016Azerbaijan electronizes pharmacies, hospitals
- 26.11.2015Book titled “First-hand information about Sumgait events” presented in Baku
- 26.11.2015ASAN successes hailed in diplomatic quarter of Paris
- 26.11.2015Radical group block Nardaran entries
- 26.11.2015Azerbaijan not to finance projects of foreign NGOs in 2016
- 25.11.2015Azerbaijan, Iran discuss expansion of cooperation in emergency management
- 25.11.2015Trade unions most massive, well-organized public force in Azerbaijan, says presidential aide