Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s economy developed in 2016
Azerbaijan’s economy developed in 2016 despite all objective problems, said the country’s President Ilham Aliyev.
The non-oil investment in the country increased by 5 percent in 2016, President Aliyev said addressing a conference dedicated to the results of third year implementation of "The State Program on socio-economic development of Azerbaijani districts in 2014-2018" in Baku Jan. 30.
“Azerbaijan’s non-oil investment increased by 5 percent in 2016,” he said. “We were able to ensure this development due to work carried out over the preceding years and deep reforms implemented in 2016.”
“Of course the ongoing global economic and financial crisis negatively affected our work as well, but I believe that Azerbaijan managed to get out of such a hard situation with minimal losses in comparison with other countries,” Ilham Aliyev said. “More than 100,000 permanent jobs were created last year. This process has been going on since 2004.”
The president went on to say that Azerbaijan was able to maintain the currency reserves of the country's State Oil Fund.
"I think this is very significant," he said. "The majority of oil-rich countries spent a part of their currency reserves, while we tried to save, and succeeded.”
“We are going to need our currency reserves for today, tomorrow, and these reserves are a factor that strengthens our economic opportunities, economic independence in general,” President Aliyev said.
Ilham Aliyev went on to add authoritative international economic institutions also highly assessed the work carried out by Azerbaijan in 2016.
“The biggest global non-governmental economic institution among them - the Davos World Economic Forum, which unites all the world leaders, as well as world’s political and economic elite, - once again gave a positive outcome in its report on Azerbaijan,” he said.
“Thus, in terms of competitiveness of countries, Azerbaijan has stepped up, settling for 37th place,” he said.
“According to another indicator of inclusive development among the developing countries, these estimates bring together about 80 developing countries, and Azerbaijan shares first and second places in this rating. This is the assessment given to our work by the leading international economic institutions.”
Azerbaijani president noted that from now on, it is necessary to seek to have the work done using the internal capabilities, because the growth of external debt is not a positive factor.
“In Azerbaijan, this indicator stands at a very good level, at about 20 percent,” he said. “This is a higher figure compared to previous years, and the reason is the devaluation of the manat. During the previous periods, our foreign debt didn’t exceed 10 percent. Nowadays, this is also an acceptable level, but we must try so that this figure wouldn’t grow, but on the contrary, would decrease.”
“In order to reduce the external debt, we must take foreign loans with utmost care,” Ilham Aliyev said. “But we can take foreign loans for projects of strategic importance for Azerbaijan.”
Related news releases
- 22.07.2017Those who were taking exam at university at the time of fire will retake exam
- 21.07.2017President: Investments to be made in pharmaceutical factories amount to $100 million
- 21.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Drinking water supply projects successfully implemented in Azerbaijan
- 21.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views plans of work to be done in center of Pirallahi
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani president awards Avaz Alakbarov
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Nearly 80 percent of Azerbaijani population is internet users
- 20.07.2017Alexander Lapshin sentenced to 3 years in prison
- 19.07.2017Article by TEAS director published on website of “Peace and Sport” organization
- 19.07.2017Delegation of Pakistan’s National Disaster Management Authority arrives in Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2017Prosecutor seeks 4.5 years behind bars for APFP chairman’s assistant
- 19.07.2017UN report: 443,000 teens give birth in Eastern Europe and Central Asia every year
- 19.07.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 18.07.2017Opening of new TV channel proposed in Azerbaijan
- 18.07.2017ANAMA: 300ha area cleared of mine, UXOs in Jojug Marjanli
- 17.07.2017Kamran Aliyev: In Azerbaijan more bribes offered than taken
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan concludes investigation into 19 criminal cases on banking sector
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan completes investigation into criminal cases of 133 officials charged with corruption
- 15.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views conditions created in new park in Yasamal
- 15.07.2017Azerbaijani President warns officials, businessmen against cutting down trees
- 15.07.2017Int’l dolma festival held in Azerbaijan’s Khachmaz
- 15.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views newly built park in Yasamal district
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijani Health Ministry: 12,036 people wishing to marry diagnosed with thalassemia
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijani Education Ministry: Application for transfer of students to begin on July 17
- 14.07.2017Vugar Safarli: Names of journalists to be given apartments will be announced on July 21
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijan SEC to hold entrance exams on II and III specialty groups
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on education
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan bans advertising of abortion and artificial fermentation
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani President: Some public servants misbehave and make blatant mistakes
- 12.07.2017Judicial investigation into Alexander Lapshin’s case concludes
- 12.07.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan appoints new chairpersons to several courts of appeal
- 11.07.2017New chairpersons appointed to civil, military collegiums of Azerbaijani Supreme Court
- 11.07.2017APA photographers among best of Baku 2017
- 11.07.2017Lapshin’s trial postponed
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor’s Office receives submission on initiation of criminal case against former national security minister
- 10.07.2017Former MNS official stripped of his rank of colonel, jailed for 12 years
- 10.07.2017SEC announces date of new test exams for civil service recruitment
- 10.07.2017SEC: 11-grade final exam results roughly same as last year’s
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani SEC: Cases of abuse reported in fixed-term employment
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani SEC makes changes in test exams for civil service recruitment
- 30.01.2017Azerbaijani president: Instruction given to start resettlement of IDPs from dormitories
- 30.01.2017UN, Azerbaijan launch joint campaign on education and science
- 30.01.2017Akif Chovdrov: I will begin hunger strike - UPDATED
- 30.01.2017Snowfall expected for Azerbaijan
- 30.01.2017Ex-Azerbaijani footballer jailed for 8 years
- 30.01.2017Complete prohibition of description of tobacco products in stores proposed in Azerbaijan