Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s economy developed in 2016
Azerbaijan’s economy developed in 2016 despite all objective problems, said the country’s President Ilham Aliyev.
The non-oil investment in the country increased by 5 percent in 2016, President Aliyev said addressing a conference dedicated to the results of third year implementation of "The State Program on socio-economic development of Azerbaijani districts in 2014-2018" in Baku Jan. 30.
“Azerbaijan’s non-oil investment increased by 5 percent in 2016,” he said. “We were able to ensure this development due to work carried out over the preceding years and deep reforms implemented in 2016.”
“Of course the ongoing global economic and financial crisis negatively affected our work as well, but I believe that Azerbaijan managed to get out of such a hard situation with minimal losses in comparison with other countries,” Ilham Aliyev said. “More than 100,000 permanent jobs were created last year. This process has been going on since 2004.”
The president went on to say that Azerbaijan was able to maintain the currency reserves of the country's State Oil Fund.
"I think this is very significant," he said. "The majority of oil-rich countries spent a part of their currency reserves, while we tried to save, and succeeded.”
“We are going to need our currency reserves for today, tomorrow, and these reserves are a factor that strengthens our economic opportunities, economic independence in general,” President Aliyev said.
Ilham Aliyev went on to add authoritative international economic institutions also highly assessed the work carried out by Azerbaijan in 2016.
“The biggest global non-governmental economic institution among them - the Davos World Economic Forum, which unites all the world leaders, as well as world’s political and economic elite, - once again gave a positive outcome in its report on Azerbaijan,” he said.
“Thus, in terms of competitiveness of countries, Azerbaijan has stepped up, settling for 37th place,” he said.
“According to another indicator of inclusive development among the developing countries, these estimates bring together about 80 developing countries, and Azerbaijan shares first and second places in this rating. This is the assessment given to our work by the leading international economic institutions.”
Azerbaijani president noted that from now on, it is necessary to seek to have the work done using the internal capabilities, because the growth of external debt is not a positive factor.
“In Azerbaijan, this indicator stands at a very good level, at about 20 percent,” he said. “This is a higher figure compared to previous years, and the reason is the devaluation of the manat. During the previous periods, our foreign debt didn’t exceed 10 percent. Nowadays, this is also an acceptable level, but we must try so that this figure wouldn’t grow, but on the contrary, would decrease.”
“In order to reduce the external debt, we must take foreign loans with utmost care,” Ilham Aliyev said. “But we can take foreign loans for projects of strategic importance for Azerbaijan.”
Related news releases
- 23.04.2018Jeyhun Bayramov relieved of his duties as Deputy Minister of Education
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani President issues order on allocation of lump-sum financial aid to WW II veterans
- 20.04.2018F1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix: Two hospitals will render medical services to participants, guests
- 20.04.2018Owners of 6 houses damaged in Baku landslide zone receive financial aid
- 20.04.2018Non-smoking area in Baku Metro expanded
- 20.04.2018Baku hosts conference on exposure of Armenian falsifications
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Housing market prices are not suitable for low-income families
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan may prosecute those failing to pay unemployment insurance and compulsory social insurance
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Legal regulation needed for use of social networks
- 19.04.2018Health Ministry: Anemia, kidney and heart diseases widespread among pregnant women in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.201837,618 abortion cases recorded in Azerbaijan in 2017
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan reveals number of maternal deaths registered in 1Q 2018
- 19.04.2018Early marriages reported not only among Azerbaijanis living in Georgia: UNFPA study
- 19.04.2018Kamaladdin Heydarov meets with IAEA chief
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs decree to improve social protection of families of servicemen killed in military ops
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani citizens’ living standards will increase in coming years
- 18.04.2018Dust from Arabian Peninsula to reach Azerbaijan
- 18.04.20184th OIC Conference of Youth and Sports Ministers kicks off in Baku
- 18.04.2018Belarus may deliver Polonaise multiple rocket launch systems to Azerbaijan: Russian paper
- 18.04.2018Traffic to be restricted in Baku for 2018 F1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani SEC: Results of final exams may remain valid for two years
- 16.04.2018Amount of financial assistance for owners of damaged houses in Baku landslide zone determined
- 10.04.2018Strong geomagnetic storm expected in coming days
- 10.04.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan’s Health Ministry announces average life expectancy
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan, India discuss cooperation in education
- 09.04.2018AZN 3mln allocated to Youth Foundation
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijan declares March 27 as ‘Science Day’
- 07.04.2018Temperature to be 20 C in Baku tomorrow
- 07.04.2018Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources: Process of flooding intensified in Baku
- 06.04.2018Requirements concerning specially designated smoking areas specified in Azerbaijan
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan defining rules for organizing social workplaces
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan defining cases of involvement in forced labor
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan may create vacancy bank for unemployed
- 05.04.2018Number of Azerbaijani citizens imprisoned in Georgia revealed
- 04.04.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 04.04.2018Construction of houses in Bayil landslide zone prohibited, deputy PM says
- 04.04.2018Residents of six collapsed houses in Bayil landslide zone to receive compensation within 10 days
- 04.04.2018Azerbaijani gov’t plans to relocate 97 families from landslide zone in Baku
- 04.04.2018Deputy PM explains reason behind removal of flagpole in Baku Flag Square
- 30.01.2017Azerbaijani president: Instruction given to start resettlement of IDPs from dormitories
- 30.01.2017UN, Azerbaijan launch joint campaign on education and science
- 30.01.2017Akif Chovdrov: I will begin hunger strike - UPDATED
- 30.01.2017Snowfall expected for Azerbaijan
- 30.01.2017Ex-Azerbaijani footballer jailed for 8 years
- 30.01.2017Complete prohibition of description of tobacco products in stores proposed in Azerbaijan