High level meeting ‘Countering violent extremism through girls’ education’ held within Baku forum
A high level meeting, titled “Countering Violent Extremism through Girls’ Education” was held Saturday as part of the 4th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue in Baku.
Addressing the event, Azerbaijan’s Minister of Education Mikayil Jabbarov about the successes Azerbaijan achieved in the field of science and education in recent years.
He pointed out that in early 20th century Azerbaijan opened a school for girls and granted women the right to vote.
UNESCO Director-General Irina Bokova noted the importance of the education for girls.
Ethiopia’s first lady Roman Tesfaye said that in the world about 60 million girls can not attend school and this is a global problem.
“Education guarantees the protection of girls' rights. Girls living in the conflict zone need special attention. Compared to previous years, the number of primary schools in Ethiopia has increased from 11,000 to 32,000,” she added.
Other speakers – Mali’s first lady Keita Aminata Maiga and Rwanda’s first lady Jeannette Kagame – also underscored the importance of education for girls.
The chairperson of the State Committee of Azerbaijan for Family, Women and Children Affairs, Hijran Huseynova, said that the country is doing a lot of work to integrate internally displaced people into society. Azerbaijan pays much attention to the education of girls, Huseynova noted.
Related news releases
- 27.05.2017Ancient necropolis unearthed in Azerbaijan’s Shamakhy
- 26.05.2017Moon to come closest to Earth today
- 26.05.2017Azerbaijan to sack teachers with poor indicators of diagnostic assessment
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijan SEC announces dates of final and entrance exams
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijani State Commission addresses population over graves believed to be of missing persons
- 25.05.2017ANAS, Emergencies Ministry discuss issues of cooperation
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijani president approves Regulation on 'Subsidized housing' system
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijani SMS: Rules for employment of foreigners are sometimes violated
- 24.05.2017Number of foreigners coming to Azerbaijan on the rise
- 24.05.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Beylagan
- 24.05.2017Ali Abbasov receives new appointment
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijan, Romania to conduct examination in field of education
- 24.05.2017First Azerbaijan-Romania Inter-University Forum kicks off in Baku
- 23.05.2017Tariff Council specifies prices of paid services related to civil service
- 23.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan to see increase in tourist arrivals after Baku 2017
- 23.05.2017Traffic restriction on special lanes lifted in Baku
- 23.05.2017Registration for second participation in Azerbaijan university entrance exams over
- 22.05.2017Ibrahim Guliyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 22.05.2017Traffic ban on Baku 2017 ‘special lanes’ to be lifted on May 23
- 22.05.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Beylagan on May 24
- 22.05.2017Baku to host Azerbaijan-Romania Inter-University Forum
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijani emergencies ministry denies reports of staff reductions
- 20.05.2017French-Azerbaijani University announces admission of students
- 20.05.2017Illegal passenger transportation by buses prevented in Baku-Sumgayit highway
- 19.05.2017WHO: Azerbaijan had lowest suicide rate in Europe in 2015
- 19.05.2017Students in some Azerbaijani universities changed electronic exam grades
- 19.05.2017Health Ministry: 108 people diagnosed with HIV in Azerbaijan in 1Q 2017
- 18.05.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov meets ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijani Education Ministry to terminate employment contracts with teachers recruited without competition
- 17.05.2017Int’l seminar on human trafficking awareness kicks off in Vienna
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan launches campaign to aid Syrian children
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan’s population exceeds 9.8 million
- 17.05.2017More than 1.2 million adolescents die every year
- 17.05.2017Citizens of 12 more countries to use Azerbaijan’s ASAN Visa system
- 16.05.2017American Jewish community plans to invest in construction of Jewish school in Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani president confers honorary titles on persons who died of wounds sustained during 20 January events
- 16.05.2017NTRC: Broadcasting of foreign TV channels in Azerbaijan to be brought in line with standards
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan approves list of licensed services and work in field of private medicine
- 15.05.2017Presentation of ‘Asiada-2017’ held in Baku
- 15.05.2017Lawyer asks court to acquit Azerbaijan’s ex-health minister
- 06.05.2017Leyla Aliyeva: Food security, environment, and sustainable development are highly important for int’l coop
- 06.05.2017Leyla Aliyeva: A peaceful, inclusive society can be achieved by eliminating poverty and hunger
- 06.05.20174th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue comes to a close
- 05.05.2017Book presented at World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue
- 05.05.2017Main State Traffic Police Department releases statement on upcoming Islamic Solidarity Games
- 05.05.2017Islamic Solidarity Games: Traffic movement on special lanes in Baku restricted