High level meeting ‘Countering violent extremism through girls’ education’ held within Baku forum
A high level meeting, titled “Countering Violent Extremism through Girls’ Education” was held Saturday as part of the 4th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue in Baku.
Addressing the event, Azerbaijan’s Minister of Education Mikayil Jabbarov about the successes Azerbaijan achieved in the field of science and education in recent years.
He pointed out that in early 20th century Azerbaijan opened a school for girls and granted women the right to vote.
UNESCO Director-General Irina Bokova noted the importance of the education for girls.
Ethiopia’s first lady Roman Tesfaye said that in the world about 60 million girls can not attend school and this is a global problem.
“Education guarantees the protection of girls' rights. Girls living in the conflict zone need special attention. Compared to previous years, the number of primary schools in Ethiopia has increased from 11,000 to 32,000,” she added.
Other speakers – Mali’s first lady Keita Aminata Maiga and Rwanda’s first lady Jeannette Kagame – also underscored the importance of education for girls.
The chairperson of the State Committee of Azerbaijan for Family, Women and Children Affairs, Hijran Huseynova, said that the country is doing a lot of work to integrate internally displaced people into society. Azerbaijan pays much attention to the education of girls, Huseynova noted.
Related news releases
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani president awards Avaz Alakbarov
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Nearly 80 percent of Azerbaijani population is internet users
- 20.07.2017Alexander Lapshin sentenced to 3 years in prison
- 19.07.2017Article by TEAS director published on website of “Peace and Sport” organization
- 19.07.2017Delegation of Pakistan’s National Disaster Management Authority arrives in Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2017Prosecutor seeks 4.5 years behind bars for APFP chairman’s assistant
- 19.07.2017UN report: 443,000 teens give birth in Eastern Europe and Central Asia every year
- 19.07.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 18.07.2017Opening of new TV channel proposed in Azerbaijan
- 18.07.2017ANAMA: 300ha area cleared of mine, UXOs in Jojug Marjanli
- 17.07.2017Kamran Aliyev: In Azerbaijan more bribes offered than taken
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan concludes investigation into 19 criminal cases on banking sector
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan completes investigation into criminal cases of 133 officials charged with corruption
- 15.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views conditions created in new park in Yasamal
- 15.07.2017Azerbaijani President warns officials, businessmen against cutting down trees
- 15.07.2017Int’l dolma festival held in Azerbaijan’s Khachmaz
- 15.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views newly built park in Yasamal district
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijani Health Ministry: 12,036 people wishing to marry diagnosed with thalassemia
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijani Education Ministry: Application for transfer of students to begin on July 17
- 14.07.2017Vugar Safarli: Names of journalists to be given apartments will be announced on July 21
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijan SEC to hold entrance exams on II and III specialty groups
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on education
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan bans advertising of abortion and artificial fermentation
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani President: Some public servants misbehave and make blatant mistakes
- 12.07.2017Judicial investigation into Alexander Lapshin’s case concludes
- 12.07.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan appoints new chairpersons to several courts of appeal
- 11.07.2017New chairpersons appointed to civil, military collegiums of Azerbaijani Supreme Court
- 11.07.2017APA photographers among best of Baku 2017
- 11.07.2017Lapshin’s trial postponed
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor’s Office receives submission on initiation of criminal case against former national security minister
- 10.07.2017Former MNS official stripped of his rank of colonel, jailed for 12 years
- 10.07.2017SEC announces date of new test exams for civil service recruitment
- 10.07.2017SEC: 11-grade final exam results roughly same as last year’s
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani SEC: Cases of abuse reported in fixed-term employment
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani SEC makes changes in test exams for civil service recruitment
- 08.07.2017Health Ministry: 275 newborns screened in Azerbaijan over last four months
- 07.07.2017Deputy minister: Universities granted statuses of public legal entity still remain state higher education institutions
- 06.07.2017Azerbaijani court upholds motion filed by Lapshin’s lawyer
- 06.07.2017Two hospitals available in Azerbaijan for possible Crimean-Congo fever cases
- 29.05.2017Azerbaijan names new deputy head of State Security Service
- 30.05.2017Deputy PM: Azerbaijan is one of few countries which have attainted highest level of development
- 30.05.2017Sub-regional workshop on sustainable development goals kicks off in Baku
- 26.05.2017Moon to come closest to Earth today
- 26.05.2017Azerbaijan to sack teachers with poor indicators of diagnostic assessment
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijan SEC announces dates of final and entrance exams