Farewell ceremony for world-famous scientist Lotfi Zadeh to take place at ANAS on Sept. 29
The body of world-famous scientist Lotfi Zadeh, who recently died in the United States, will be brought to Baku by a Baku-New York plane at 6:00AM on September 29 and will then be taken to Heydar Mosque and from there to the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS), where the farewell ceremony for the scientist will start at 12:00PM, People’s Artist Jannat Salimova, who is a close relative of the deceased, told APA.
She added that the scientist’s son Norman Zadeh will not be present at the ceremony.
ANAS Vice President Isa Habibbayli also told APA that the farewell ceremony will take place from 12:00 to 14:00 at the ANAS.
According to him, the ceremony will be joined by the entire ANAS staff and other officials.
After people pay their last respects to Lotfi Zadeh, he will be taken to the 1st Alley of Honor to be laid to rest therein.
Lotfi Zadeh was born in 1921 in Baku to an Iranian Azerbaijani father from Ardabil, Rahim Aleskerzade, who was a journalist on assignment from South Azerbaijan and a Russian Jewish mother, also an Iranian citizen, Fanya Korenman, who was a pediatrician from Odessa.
In 1931, when Lotfi Zadeh was ten years old, his family moved to Tehran in Iran, his father's homeland. There he continued his education in English in a private Presbyterian school in Tehran. After high school, he sat for the national university exams and placed second in the entire country. In 1942, he was graduated from the University of Tehran in electrical engineering.
During World War II, he moved to the US and took a Master's degree from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in 1946 and a Ph.D. from Columbia (New York) in 1949, where he began teaching systems theory.
Since 1959, Lotfi Zadeh has taught at Berkeley, first in the Electrical Engineering (EE) Department where he became Chair in 1963, and later in the Computer Science Division (EECS).
It's a vivid example of how in real life Lotfi Zadeh shuns abrupt absolute categories that don't take into account life's complexities. It's the same kind of thinking that characterizes Fuzzy Logic, an unorthodox theory which he invented which is impacting computer technology.
Lotfi Zadeh was also credited, along with John R. Ragazzini, in 1952, with having pioneered the development of the z-transform method in discrete time signal processing and analysis. These methods are now standard in digital signal processing, digital control, and other discrete-time systems used in industry and research. He was an editor of International Journal of Computational Cognition.
Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev, state and government officials offered condolences in connection with Lotfi Zadeh’s death.
Related news releases
- 23.10.2017Strong geomagnetic storm expected to begin tomorrow
- 23.10.2017Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Shabran
- 21.10.2017Gabala hosts int’l scientific conference entitled ‘Archeology of Gabala’
- 21.10.2017Baku awaits rainless weather on Sunday
- 20.10.2017Applicants to take entrance exams in two groups this academic year in Azerbaijan
- 20.10.2017Ambassador Cekuta: About 7,000 Azerbaijanis received education in U.S. over 25-year period of diplomatic relations
- 20.10.2017In Azerbaijan, final exams to be held once, but entrance exams more than once under new model
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament excludes 3 issues from agenda
- 20.10.2017AZN 50.5 mln allocated for IDPs who don’t have access to gas supply
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani SEC: In 2019 maximum point in university entrance exams will be 400
- 20.10.2017Education expenditure in Azerbaijan’s draft state budget 2018 exceeds AZN 2 bln
- 20.10.2017Teachers’ diagnostic assessment in Azerbaijan to end next year
- 20.10.2017AZN 5M to be allocated to mark 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 20.10.2017People’s Artist Rafig Huseynov to be taken to Germany for treatment
- 19.10.201770 people brought to responsibility in Baku for auto-hooliganism
- 19.10.2017U.S., Azerbaijan improve water supply, livestock management for residents of Zardab and Aghjabadi
- 18.10.2017Spectators to be provided with buses following Qarabag-Atletico Madrid football match
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan registers 390 HIV-positive people in 2017
- 18.10.2017Documentary “Objective Baku: How Hitler Lost the Battle for Oil” screened in London
- 18.10.2017Increase in male victims of human trafficking, IOM says
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan considers amendment to Criminal Code regarding postponement of sentence for some prisoners
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan defines upper and lowers limits of new penalty for juvenile delinquency
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan’s trade representatives abroad to be paid in amount of 90 percent of ambassador’s salary
- 16.10.2017Interior Minister: Situation with sexual minorities in Azerbaijan no different from that in most European states
- 16.10.2017ANAS proposes businesses undertake to finance development of science in country
- 13.10.2017"IMAGINE" Euro Tolerance Festival 2017 kicks off in Baku
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijan set to abrogate imprisonment for illegal trafficking of medications
- 13.10.2017ANAS says statement by Institute of History on map crisis does not reflect its position
- 13.10.2017U.S., Azerbaijan improve irrigation in Saatli
- 13.10.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 13.10.20174-year-old Azerbaijani child rescued from ISIL in Iraq brought home
- 12.10.2017ANAS Institute of History issues statement on map crisis
- 12.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards railway workers
- 11.10.2017New generation vaccine developed against malaria: Azerbaijani scientist
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijan develops life expectancy map
- 10.10.2017Premarital examination: 240 diagnosed with thalassemia, 7 with AIDS in Azerbaijan
- 10.10.2017Strong magnetic storm to hit Earth
- 09.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Sometimes there are delays in execution of actions relating to Strategic Road Maps
- 09.10.2017Historian: ‘Greater Armenia’ map in history textbook may have been published for insidious purpose
- 09.10.2017Azerbaijan conducts serious fight against corruption, cybercrime: Deputy Prosecutor General
- 27.09.2017Giyas Ibrahimov and his father face additional charge
- 28.09.2017Level of geomagnetic storms rises
- 28.09.2017Belarus says supplies of medicines to Azerbaijan increase
- 27.09.2017Over 3,000 people become victims of mines, UXO in Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Meteorologists warn of sudden weather deterioration in Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017No demolition work planned in Sovetski until next year – deputy PM