Farewell ceremony for world-famous scientist Lotfi Zadeh to take place at ANAS on Sept. 29
The body of world-famous scientist Lotfi Zadeh, who recently died in the United States, will be brought to Baku by a Baku-New York plane at 6:00AM on September 29 and will then be taken to Heydar Mosque and from there to the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS), where the farewell ceremony for the scientist will start at 12:00PM, People’s Artist Jannat Salimova, who is a close relative of the deceased, told APA.
She added that the scientist’s son Norman Zadeh will not be present at the ceremony.
ANAS Vice President Isa Habibbayli also told APA that the farewell ceremony will take place from 12:00 to 14:00 at the ANAS.
According to him, the ceremony will be joined by the entire ANAS staff and other officials.
After people pay their last respects to Lotfi Zadeh, he will be taken to the 1st Alley of Honor to be laid to rest therein.
Lotfi Zadeh was born in 1921 in Baku to an Iranian Azerbaijani father from Ardabil, Rahim Aleskerzade, who was a journalist on assignment from South Azerbaijan and a Russian Jewish mother, also an Iranian citizen, Fanya Korenman, who was a pediatrician from Odessa.
In 1931, when Lotfi Zadeh was ten years old, his family moved to Tehran in Iran, his father's homeland. There he continued his education in English in a private Presbyterian school in Tehran. After high school, he sat for the national university exams and placed second in the entire country. In 1942, he was graduated from the University of Tehran in electrical engineering.
During World War II, he moved to the US and took a Master's degree from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in 1946 and a Ph.D. from Columbia (New York) in 1949, where he began teaching systems theory.
Since 1959, Lotfi Zadeh has taught at Berkeley, first in the Electrical Engineering (EE) Department where he became Chair in 1963, and later in the Computer Science Division (EECS).
It's a vivid example of how in real life Lotfi Zadeh shuns abrupt absolute categories that don't take into account life's complexities. It's the same kind of thinking that characterizes Fuzzy Logic, an unorthodox theory which he invented which is impacting computer technology.
Lotfi Zadeh was also credited, along with John R. Ragazzini, in 1952, with having pioneered the development of the z-transform method in discrete time signal processing and analysis. These methods are now standard in digital signal processing, digital control, and other discrete-time systems used in industry and research. He was an editor of International Journal of Computational Cognition.
Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev, state and government officials offered condolences in connection with Lotfi Zadeh’s death.
Related news releases
- 16.01.2018Keshikchi Dag monastery needs to be repaired – Azerbaijani State Service
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani State Agency for Compulsory Health Insurance becomes public legal entity
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani Supreme Court denies former health minister’s appeal
- 16.01.2018Isa Gambar in stable condition, cardiologist says
- 15.01.2018Siyavush Novruzov: If necessary, state will support Isa Gambar’s treatment
- 15.01.2018Isa Gambar’s health condition improving, cardiologist says
- 15.01.2018Health Ministry: Infant and child mortality rates in Azerbaijan drop three times
- 14.01.2018Recent discovery in Meteorites may prove there is life outside Earth - Study
- 13.01.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Sunday
- 10.01.2018Citizens of Non-Aligned movement states to get education grants in Azerbaijan
- 10.01.2018Iranian FM in Russia for talks on nuclear deal, Syria
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: 2,300 IDP families provided with new apartments in 2017
- 08.01.2018Masalli resident captures injured eagle
- 06.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on highway construction in Khachmaz
- 06.01.2018Turkish citizen standing trial in Azerbaijan
- 06.01.2018ANAMA issues 2017 annual report
- 05.01.2018FEP rates photo of Heydar Aliyev Center as ‘Cover Picture of 2017’
- 05.01.2018Man detained attempting to smuggle drugs from Iran to Azerbaijan
- 03.01.2018MES holds operational meeting on search of missing climbers
- 03.01.2018Nearly 386,000 children born worldwide on New Year’s Day, says UNICEF
- 31.12.2017Baku welcomes New Year - PHOTOSESSION
- 31.12.2017World Azerbaijanis mark Solidarity Day
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves “Law on Restriction of Use of Tobacco Products”
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan abolishes penalty for conversation that can district driver’s attention
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan establishes professional holiday of ASAN Service employees
- 29.12.2017Diabetics increase, specialists decrease in numbers in Azerbaijan
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits Yanardag Reserve
- 29.12.2017Israeli ambassador visits Pirallahi district
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan weather forecast for holidays
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani MP suggests exempting disabled from education fee
- 29.12.2017January weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan makes structural changes to Economy Ministry
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles upon several people on Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis
- 28.12.2017Relocation from Sovetsky to continue in January 2018
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijan detains Indian citizens accused of aiding illegal migration
- 27.12.2017Street in Tbilisi named after prominent Azerbaijani Rashid Behbudov
- 27.12.2017Tbilisi streets named after prominent Azerbaijanis: Many of these names exist on map only
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijani police to tighten security on holidays
- 26.12.2017Patriarch Kirill presents high order of Russian Orthodox Church to Mehriban Aliyeva
- 26.12.2017Ali Hasanov: 11,000 IDP families live in 117 buildings in disrepair in Baku - INTERVIEW
- 27.09.2017Giyas Ibrahimov and his father face additional charge
- 28.09.2017Level of geomagnetic storms rises
- 28.09.2017Belarus says supplies of medicines to Azerbaijan increase
- 27.09.2017Over 3,000 people become victims of mines, UXO in Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Meteorologists warn of sudden weather deterioration in Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017No demolition work planned in Sovetski until next year – deputy PM