Documentary “Objective Baku: How Hitler Lost the Battle for Oil” screened in London
The documentary film “Objective Baku: How Hitler Lost the Battle for Oil” was screened in the House of Lords of the British Parliament on October 17.
The event was organized by Mark Menzies, British MP, Vice Chair of Azerbaijan All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) with the support of The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS).
Prior to this event, the European premiere of the film was held at the Musée de l’Armée in Paris in May, TEAS told APA.
Using digitally restored and colorized archival footage, the film details the bravery of the Azerbaijanis who participated in the war as part of the Soviet army to combat Fascism. The objective of the film is to show the role of Azerbaijani people in the victory over fascism to the world and to convey this historical truth to future generations.
This new documentary film entitled Objective Baku: How Hitler Lost the Battle for Oil, was produced in 2015 by Louis Vaudeville for CC&C Productions, in collaboration with Baku Media Centre, with the support of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation, and was directed by Robert Mugnerot. The leader of the project is Arzu Aliyeva.
One of the most infamous pieces of newsreel footage to be shot of Adolf Hitler shows him – alongside various members of the Nazi hierarchy – eating a cake in the form of a map of the Caspian area, with the letters B–A–K–U spelled in chocolate cream, topped with a swastika flag. After enjoying the cake, Hitler commented: “Unless we get Baku oil, all is lost.” This was not a mere exaggeration – the oilfields of Baku accounted for 80 per cent of all Soviet resources, being pivotal to the success of the Soviet Red Army, and Hitler even specified the date of 26 September 1942 as that designated for the capture of Baku.
Addressing the event, British MP Mark Menzies said that the documentary talks about Azerbaijan’s role in the momentous years of World War II.
“In Great Britain—as in most of Europe—details of the war in the East are unnoticeable. This documentary, to a certain extent, explains the role of Azerbaijan and its citizens. As the Vice Chair of Azerbaijan All-Party Parliamentary Group, I’m most pleased to present this documentary as this Group is working to strengthen relations between Great Britain and Azerbaijan,” the MP said.
Composed entirely of archive chronicles, the documentary took the viewers by surprise as it mentioned Azerbaijan being the birthplace of mechanized oil extraction, the city’s residents being dressed up nicely, and its portrayal as the Paris of the Caucasus that reminded Stockholm, Paris, Moscow, and Warsaw.
With the timing of 52 minutes, the color documentary's shooting took place in the course of 14 months. While working on the documentary "Targeting Baku. How Hitler Lost the Battle for Oil", 200-hour video material, as well as numerous photos and other documents were examined in archives of Azerbaijan, Germany, the Great Britain, France and Russia.
In the film, video materials reflecting different battle scenes - so far not shown - are presented in a restored color format.
Along with Azerbaijani, the film has been translated into the Russian, English, French, German, Italian and other languages. The film’s first premiere was held in Baku in May 2015 and displayed on the “RMC Découverte” and “National Geographic” channels.
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan appeals to int’l organizations to return body of its soldier
- 23.11.2017Upper level of need criteria set at AZN 116
- 23.11.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 22.11.2017Number of Armenians living in Azerbaijan revealed
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani Parl’t deputy speaker stresses need for reforms in law enforcement, security and judicial bodies
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani MP calls for more spending on healthcare
- 22.11.2017MP proposes creating business incubators in Azerbaijan’s educational institutions
- 22.11.2017Baku hosts int’l conference on promoting tolerance among youth
- 22.11.2017Leyla Aliyeva meets with UNICEF regional director
- 22.11.201720 judges, including 7 chairmen of courts dismissed in Azerbaijan this year
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani state should provide serious support for treatment of autistic children – MP
- 21.11.2017Dust quantity in Baku and Absheron Peninsula exceeds sanitary norm
- 20.11.2017World conflicts hinder mankind from achieving SDGs – UNICEF
- 20.11.2017UNICEF: Level of children’s education in Azerbaijan exceeds 95 percent
- 20.11.2017Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Zardab district
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijan to have five-day holiday for New Year
- 18.11.2017Fatal traffic accident kills 1 police, injures another in Azerbaijan
- 18.11.2017Changeable cloudy weather to prevail in Baku
- 18.11.2017Landslide activity observed in Baku’s Zigh settlement
- 17.11.2017Another quake hits Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017Private and municipal vocational education institutions to be established in Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017ANAS: Land plots, scientific facilities seized over last 5 years returned
- 16.11.2017Kamaladdin Heydarov meets Moldovan interior minister
- 16.11.2017U.S. ambassador to Azerbaijan visits ABAD trade & exhibition center
- 16.11.2017APA celebrates 13th anniversary - PHOTOSESSION
- 16.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan known in world as sporting nation
- 16.11.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates newly-built school in Masazir
- 16.11.2017ANAS: Yesterday’s quake in Azerbaijan had nothing to do with recent quake in Iran
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan establishes organizing committee for Baku BMX World Championships 2018
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan to mark 110th jubilee of academician Ashraf Huseynov
- 15.11.2017U.S. ambassador visits Salyan American Corner
- 15.11.2017Deloitte Azerbaijan introduces new publication - ®
- 15.11.2017Compulsory health insurance can be applied throughout Azerbaijan in 2018 – deputy minister
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan developing state program to repatriate its citizens in Iraq, Syria
- 15.11.2017Deputy Minister reacts to US State Department advising its citizens not to undergo surgery in Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Baku State University’s 100th anniversary to be marked at state level
- 14.11.2017London, a city where you can see Sun, rain and Queen at the same time
- 14.11.2017EBU says Karabakh separatists’ flag to be prevented from being raised at 2017 Junior Eurovision
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani police warn drivers over use of darks films, blinds on car windows
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan registers 390 HIV-positive people in 2017
- 18.10.2017Spectators to be provided with buses following Qarabag-Atletico Madrid football match
- 19.10.2017U.S., Azerbaijan improve water supply, livestock management for residents of Zardab and Aghjabadi
- 18.10.2017Increase in male victims of human trafficking, IOM says
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan considers amendment to Criminal Code regarding postponement of sentence for some prisoners
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan defines upper and lowers limits of new penalty for juvenile delinquency