Demolition of Haji Javad Mosque in Baku’s Sovetsky temporarily halted
The demolition of Haji Javad Mosque in Baku’s Sovetsky locality has been temporarily halted, the head of the Yasamal district executive authority, Ibrahim Mehdiyev, told reporters on Wednesday, APA reported.
Mehdiyev said that the community members were advised to appeal to the country’s leadership.
“The demolition of the mosque has come to a temporary halt. The Baku city executive authority must allocate a place for the construction of a new mosque. To this end, the community members must appeal to the Caucasian Muslims Office and the State Committee for Work with Religious Organizations. This mosque is not listed as a historical monument and its community is not registered. People just worship therein,” he noted.
Mehdiyev noted that in accordance with the General Plan of Baku, construction and improvement works are being carried out and the road infrastructure is being renewed in Sovetsky.
“According to the plan, this building must also be demolished. The leadership instructed to suspend the demolition of the building until specifying a place for construction of a new mosque. I should note that such buildings are not subordinate to the District Executive Power. It has nothing to do with the State Committee as it is not a mosque and the Culture and Tourism Ministry as it is not historic building,” he added.
Today a group of people protested against demolition of Haji Javad mosque in Baku’s Sovetsky locality.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2018Akif Chovdarov asks court to acquit him
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amendments to law on road traffic
- 24.05.2018President Aliyev: Number of Azerbaijani IDPs provided with housing to reach 285,000 by year-end
- 24.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new residential complex for IDPs in Baku
- 23.05.2018Payments on insurance against industrial accidents amounts to AZN 1.4M
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani MP criticizes NGOs: Many of them engaged in populism
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani MP opposes equating bride kidnapping to abduction
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani MP expresses disapproval of media coverage of suicides among youth
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani MP proposes reducing number of children for notion of multiple-children family from 5 to 3
- 23.05.2018Round table on theme “Azerbaijani family model” kicks off in parliament
- 23.05.2018MP: In most cases Facebook, SMS messages end marriages in Azerbaijan
- 23.05.2018Number of people with disabilities in Azerbaijan announced
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijan to amend law on education
- 21.05.2018Teachers to undergo certification testing in Azerbaijan
- 19.05.2018Weather forecast for May 20
- 18.05.2018Newspaper Echo closing down
- 18.05.2018More than 900 people die of HIV in Azerbaijan over past 31 years
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s SEC to hold TOEFL IBT and SAT exams
- 18.05.2018193 diagnosed with HIV in Azerbaijan in 2018, 16 mortalities reported
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan’s Minister of Ecology and Natural Resources has received a BP delegation.
- 17.05.2018Much remains to be done to solve IDPs’ problems in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC chairperson comments on suicides of two applicants
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan SEC gives applicants opportunity to change specialty groups
- 17.05.2018Carpet weaved during period of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic put on display
- 17.05.2018Bodies of Azerbaijani mountaineers handed over to families
- 16.05.2018U.S. citizens traveling by AZAL's New York-Baku flight to be granted ASAN Visa
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijani Cabinet of Ministers mulls strengthening control over illicit medicine trade
- 16.05.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new building of Nakhchivan Teachers Institute
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates secondary school in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev launches start of reconstruction of water supply system in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC announces results of entrance exams on 2nd and 3rd specialty groups
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijani president inaugurates new building of Heydar Aliyev Modern Educational Complex - UPDATED
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan creates organizing committee to hold European Youth Olympic Festival
- 15.05.2018Amount of fee for ASAN visas offered at Azerbaijani airports determined
- 15.05.2018Over 430,000 foreigners granted Azerbaijani visas via ASAN Visa since January 2017
- 15.05.2018ASAN Visa system launched at Baku’s Heydar Aliyev International Airport
- 14.05.2018Evasion from paying unemployment insurance and mandatory state social insurance to entail criminal liability
- 12.05.2018Traffic movement to be restricted in center of Baku tomorrow
- 12.05.2018Lightning, heavy rain expected in some places tomorrow
- 12.04.2017Belarus studies Azerbaijan's experience in providing security during European Games
- 12.04.2017Witnesses testify in trial of former Azerbaijani health minister
- 12.04.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues
- 12.04.2017‘European Days’ to be held in Azerbaijan’s Lankaran
- 12.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed again
- 12.04.2017Court rejects Mehman Huseynov’s appeal