Court rejects petition for Ilgar Mammadov’s release
Shaki. Vugar Heydarov – APA. Shaki Court of Appeal held on Friday a hearing on the appeals filed by the imprisoned chairman of REAL Movement Ilgar Mammadov and the deputy chairman of Musavat Party Tofig Yagublu.
The court rejected petitions for the acquittal of Ilgar Mammadov and Tofig Yagublu, upholding the decision of the court of first instance.
At the previous hearings, the defendant’s lawyers asked for acquittal of Ilgar Mammadov and Tofig Yagublu in accordance with the judgements of the European Court of Human Rights.
A public prosecutor demanded to uphold the decision of the court of first instance.
Shaki Court of Grave Crimes sentenced Ilgar Mammadov to 7 years and Tofig Yagublu 5 years in prison.
Shaki Court of Appeal rejected the appeal against the judgment. Then they filed a cassation appeal to the Supreme Court.
The Supreme Court partially upheld the cassation appeal. The decision of Shaki Court of Appeal on the case of Ilgar Mammadov and Tofig Yagublu was cancelled and the case was sent to Shaki Court of Appeal for reconsideration.
Ilgar Mammadov and Tofig Yagublu were arrested over the events in Azerbaijan's Ismayilli district. Tofig Yagublu was released in March under the presidential pardon order.
Related news releases
- 16.12.2017Azerbaijan defines procedure for accrediting scientific institutions
- 15.12.2017Honorary titles conferred on MES employees
- 15.12.2017Court denies Mehman Huseynov’s appeal
- 15.12.2017Trial continues in case of Giyas Ibrahimov and his father
- 15.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves amendments to Election Code
- 15.12.2017Director of Azerbaijani TV channel jailed for 6 years
- 15.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev views overhauled Ludwigshafen Park in Sumgayit
- 15.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev views "Kimyachi" Culture Palace in Sumgayit after major overhaul
- 15.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Flag Museum in Sumgayit
- 15.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Important steps being taken in Azerbaijan to attract youth to science
- 14.12.2017State Program on Development of Inclusive Education for People with Disabilities approved
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry holds board meeting on its 12th anniversary
- 14.12.2017Winners of “Emergency Situations Through The Eyes of Children” competition awarded
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijan prohibits changing of specialty in master’s degree
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijan developing concept of cadaveric organ transplantation
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijan specifies conditions in which students will get academic vacation
- 12.12.2017Abbas Alasgarov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 11.12.2017Traffic to be restricted in some streets and avenues of Baku on Dec. 12
- 08.12.2017Tariff Council approves prices of more than 300 registered medicines
- 08.12.2017Book titled “Splendor and Misery of Leyla Yunus” presented
- 08.12.2017Anar Baghirov: Bar Association was partly responsible for delay in lawyer admissions
- 07.12.2017Criminal elements detected in activities of 23 municipalities
- 07.12.2017Several human rights defenders appeal to President Ilham Aliyev
- 07.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Another 10 carpet weaving factories to open in Azerbaijan next year
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan specifies non-working days for next year's holidays
- 07.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: "ASAN Service" is most effective tool against corruption, bribery
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Flag Museum in Guba
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates ‘ASAN heyat’ complex in Guba
- 07.12.2017New chairman of Azerbaijan’s Bar Association elected
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends ground breaking ceremony of highway to be built on Azerbaijan-Russia state border
- 06.12.2017Citizens of OIC countries to get grants for education in Azerbaijan
- 06.12.2017Javanshir Gurbanov awarded Order ‘For Service to the Motherland’
- 06.12.2017About 80 percent of Azerbaijani citizens optimistic about the country's future
- 05.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards workers of communication and high-tech sector
- 05.12.2017Number of Nakhchivan’s population publicized
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan postpones election of new ombudsperson
- 04.12.2017Baku’s population nears 2.6 million
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan Business Case Competition 2017 wraps up
- 02.12.2017Weather forecast for tomorrow
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan increases duties on reissue of lost and deteriorated international passports and ID cards
- 29.04.2016Azerbaijan’s justice minister meets with US ambassador
- 30.04.2016Vice-president of Heydar Aliyev Foundation visits Down Syndrome Rehabilitation Center and nursery
- 30.04.2016Receipt of documents for higher education institutions expires
- 29.04.2016Azerbaijani president signs order on ASPU’s Gazakh and Zagatala branches
- 29.04.2016UN high rep, TURKSOY chief visit Azerbaijan’s Gabala
- 29.04.2016Baku hosting annual plenary session of FDI World Dental Federation