Court denies Akif Chovdarov’s petition - UPDATED
An Azerbaijani court on Monday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Major General Akif Chovdarov, former head of the main energy and transport security directorate under the liquidated Ministry of National Security (MNS), and other people arrested with him.
During the trial, witness Vilayat Taghiyev testified on the episode of Azer Guliyev, Director of Azertikinti ATF, noting that he heard Azer Guliyev’s name only once. He said businessman Isfandiyar Akhundov, who was a classmate of his, asked him to supervise the construction work, noting that he heard Guliyev’s name only then.
The trial was scheduled for March 29.
An Azerbaijani court continued on Monday the trial in the criminal case involving Major General Akif Chovdarov, former head of the main energy and transport security directorate under the liquidated Ministry of National Security (MNS), and other people arrested alongside him.
At the trial presided over by Baku Military Court chairman Habib Hasanov, Chovdarov’s lawyer Sadig Rasulov filed a petition for his defendant to undergo Holter examination. However, the court rejected the petition, noting that this issue is not in its competence.
Lawyer Sadig Rasuloov told journalists that a while ago when Akif Chovdarov went on a hunger strike, he was offered to undergo Holter examination in the Justice Ministry’s Main Medical Department. However, Chovdarov refused it as he went on a hunger strike and as the examination would give a wrong result: “Now we appeal to the Main Medical Department and examine him. However, they demand a court decision in this regard. And the court says that is out of its obligations,” said the lawyer.
Later, upon the episode of Azer Guliyev, who died and is now represented by his legal successor, the former head of company Azertikinti ATF, Aziz Azizov, testified as a witness. He noted that he visited the company once a year upon the instruction of Salim Mammadov
The trial will be continued in the afternoon.
Akif Chovdarov faces charges under Articles 145.3 (illegal deprivation of freedom of a person, causing to the death of the victim or other serious consequences by negligence), 179.3.1, 179.3.2 (embezzlement or waste by an organized group on a large scale), 181.3.1, 181.3.2 (robbery committed by an organized group in order to seize the property on a large scale), 182.3.1, 182.3.2 (extortion, committed by an organized group in order to obtain property on a large scale), 228.4 (illegal purchase, selling or carrying of gas weapon, cold steel, including throwing weapon), 302.1, 302.2 (implementation operative - search actions by not authorized persons, as well as implementation of these actions by authorized persons, but without grounds provided by the legislation, entailed essential, and the same acts committed with use of special means, intended for secret dredging the information), 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4 (bribe-taking by a group of persons on preliminary arrangement, committed repeatedly on a large scale with the use of threats), 313 (service forgery), 341.2.1, 341.2.2, 241.2.3 (abusing authority, excess or inactivity of authority committed by a group of persons, committed with the use of weapons, resulted in grave consequences) of the Criminal Code. The former head of the first department of the ministry’s main directorate Salim Mammadov is charged under articles 145.3, 179.3.1, 179.3.2, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.1, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 313, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3; the former head of the second department Akif Aliyev is charged under articles 145.3, 179.3.1, 179.3.2, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 313, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3; the former deputy head of the first division of the third department Orkhan Osmanov is charged under 145.3, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3.
The court ordered seizure on property and cash worth of 33,466,000, trade and service sectors, greenhouses, aquaculture farms and other property complexes, land plots worth of 8,967,000 manats, private houses, apartments and vehicles worth of 24,445,000 manats, jewelry worth of 37,000 manats belonging to the accused persons –- Akif Chovdarov, Salim Mammadov, Akif Aliyev and Orkhan Osmanov to compensate damage caused to the aggrieved persons.
Related news releases
- 16.12.2017Azerbaijan defines procedure for accrediting scientific institutions
- 15.12.2017Honorary titles conferred on MES employees
- 15.12.2017Court denies Mehman Huseynov’s appeal
- 15.12.2017Trial continues in case of Giyas Ibrahimov and his father
- 15.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves amendments to Election Code
- 15.12.2017Director of Azerbaijani TV channel jailed for 6 years
- 15.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev views overhauled Ludwigshafen Park in Sumgayit
- 15.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev views "Kimyachi" Culture Palace in Sumgayit after major overhaul
- 15.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Flag Museum in Sumgayit
- 15.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Important steps being taken in Azerbaijan to attract youth to science
- 14.12.2017State Program on Development of Inclusive Education for People with Disabilities approved
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry holds board meeting on its 12th anniversary
- 14.12.2017Winners of “Emergency Situations Through The Eyes of Children” competition awarded
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijan prohibits changing of specialty in master’s degree
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijan developing concept of cadaveric organ transplantation
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijan specifies conditions in which students will get academic vacation
- 12.12.2017Abbas Alasgarov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 11.12.2017Traffic to be restricted in some streets and avenues of Baku on Dec. 12
- 08.12.2017Tariff Council approves prices of more than 300 registered medicines
- 08.12.2017Book titled “Splendor and Misery of Leyla Yunus” presented
- 08.12.2017Anar Baghirov: Bar Association was partly responsible for delay in lawyer admissions
- 07.12.2017Criminal elements detected in activities of 23 municipalities
- 07.12.2017Several human rights defenders appeal to President Ilham Aliyev
- 07.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Another 10 carpet weaving factories to open in Azerbaijan next year
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan specifies non-working days for next year's holidays
- 07.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: "ASAN Service" is most effective tool against corruption, bribery
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Flag Museum in Guba
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates ‘ASAN heyat’ complex in Guba
- 07.12.2017New chairman of Azerbaijan’s Bar Association elected
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends ground breaking ceremony of highway to be built on Azerbaijan-Russia state border
- 06.12.2017Citizens of OIC countries to get grants for education in Azerbaijan
- 06.12.2017Javanshir Gurbanov awarded Order ‘For Service to the Motherland’
- 06.12.2017About 80 percent of Azerbaijani citizens optimistic about the country's future
- 05.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards workers of communication and high-tech sector
- 05.12.2017Number of Nakhchivan’s population publicized
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan postpones election of new ombudsperson
- 04.12.2017Baku’s population nears 2.6 million
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan Business Case Competition 2017 wraps up
- 02.12.2017Weather forecast for tomorrow
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan increases duties on reissue of lost and deteriorated international passports and ID cards
- 28.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of orphanage-kindergarten in Saatli
- 28.03.2017Azerbaijani Health Ministry to establish organizing committee for 4th Islamic Solidarity Games
- 28.03.2017Preliminary investigation into case of former MNS general and others concludes
- 25.03.2017Dry weather predicted for March 26
- 24.03.2017Temperature to reach 18 C in Azerbaijan tomorrow
- 23.03.2017Changeable cloudy and dry weather predicted in Baku