CoE experts’ report on NGOs presented in Baku
A conference, entitled “Conformity of Azerbaijan’s legislation and practice on NGOs to European standards”, kicked off in Baku April 18.
After the hearing of recommendations by Council of Europe experts, a report prepared by a team of EU experts as part of the joint EU-CoE project “Civil society dialogue in Azerbaijan” was presented at the conference, APA reported.
Addressing the event, the vice-speaker of the Azerbaijani Parliament, Bahar Muradova, noted that whatever necessary has been done in Azerbaijan for NGOs to become a part of social life since the country gained its independence.
“Our country has joined relevant conventions and adopted some laws. The state program “Azerbaijan 2020: A look into the future” includes provisions on NGO development,” said Muradova noting that international cooperation is of great importance in this regard.
The vice-speaker stressed that the Azerbaijani government has always favored overt and transparent discussion of problems.
“Institutional support for law enforcement is well ensured. We’ve been able to create fertile conditions for the development of NGOs,” she added.
Elman Pashayev, an official of the Azerbaijani Presidential Administration, said that some work has been done and several meetings have been held with the participation of experts and NGO representatives within the framework of the project.
According to him, recommendations on conformity of the activities of NGOs to international standards will play a positive role in achieving civil dialogue.
“Strengthening the activities of NGOs is not only limited to improving legislative issues. There is a need to increase the professionalism, transparency and accountability of NGO members,” he added.
The chairman of the Council of State Support to NGOs, Azay Guliyev, said that Azerbaijan always stands ready to cooperate with international organizations in the field of legislation on NGOs.
Dragana Filipovic, head of the Council of Europe Office in Baku said that the aim of the project is to improve the activities of NGOs and create a favorable environment for them.
Malena Mard, head of the EU Delegation in Azerbaijan said that the organization she represents always supports the development of civil societies and the project will operate for another year.
- 30.04.2017Azerbaijan SEC holds first university entrance exams
- 30.04.2017Azerbaijan SEC to hold first university entrance exams today
- 29.04.2017Trials proceeds for ex-officials of Azerbaijan’s liquidated ministry of security
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijani court sentences Russian citizen of Armenian origin to 8 years in prison
- 28.04.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Gobustan
- 28.04.2017May weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission rejects allegations of pardon for a person who wasn’t listed
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan SEC to hold first university entrance exams on April 30
- 27.04.2017MP: Some cafes and restaurants in Azerbaijan offer hookahs containing drugs
- 26.04.2017Azerbaijan's former health minister gets 7 years and 5 days in prison - UPDATED
- 26.04.2017New prosecutor of Baku appointed
- 25.04.2017Victim testifies in trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani MP: People are unsure what currency to choose to save their money
- 25.04.2017Baku city prosecutor Aziz Seyidov elected judge of Supreme Court
- 25.04.2017Baku court holds preliminary hearing on case of APFP member arrested over FETO links
- 25.04.2017Starvation looms for 20 million, UN agricultural advisory group told at opening session
- 24.04.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial continues
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijani president orders payment of allowances to World War II participants
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijani soldiers wounded in April battles provided with artificial limbs on initiative of First VP Mehriban Aliyeva
- 24.04.2017About 7 million people in Azerbaijan at risk of contracting malaria – ministry
- 21.04.2017EU, Azerbaijani SEC hold joint seminar
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan to ban ads of potential harm to children
- 21.04.2017Canadian doctors discover first antibiotic in 30 years
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan declares two non-working days in May
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan weather forecast: Strong winds expected in coming days
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 3 mln to Youth Foundation
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan: 62 killed, 212 injured in emergencies since early 2017
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan issues licenses to 14 companies delivering television programming over Internet
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates participants of 1st Int’l Forum of Caucasus Studies Scholars
- 17.04.2017New deputy health minister appointed in Azerbaijan’s Nakhchivan
- 15.04.2017President Aliyev gives instruction to stop construction of residential building in Yasamal district
- 15.04.2017Azerbaijan to start diagnostic evaluation of teachers in several districts from tomorrow
- 14.04.2017Over 1,400 foreigners violated Azerbaijan’s administrative legislation in March
- 14.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament passes bill restricting tobacco use
- 14.04.2017Baku Education Department: No violations recorded during teacher recruitment
- 14.04.2017Azerbaijan to broadcast anti-smoking TV and radio programs
- 13.04.201790 first aid brigades to be available during Baku Islamic Solidarity Games
- 13.04.2017Bears and gazelles illegally kept at some recreational centers in Azerbaijan
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan: Minors to be required to present ID while buying cigarettes
- 13.04.2017APFP member arrested over FETO links standing trial
- 18.04.2017Attorneys in MNS case refuse to speak to the press
- 18.04.2017One child given up to foreigner for adoption in Azerbaijan this year
- 19.04.2017The plan for admission of students will be determined by the Cabinet of Ministers
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan State Examination Center appeals to applicants over second entrance exams
- 17.04.2017Residents of the "Sovietski" addressed a letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 17.04.2017Number of Azerbaijani population announced