CoE experts’ report on NGOs presented in Baku
A conference, entitled “Conformity of Azerbaijan’s legislation and practice on NGOs to European standards”, kicked off in Baku April 18.
After the hearing of recommendations by Council of Europe experts, a report prepared by a team of EU experts as part of the joint EU-CoE project “Civil society dialogue in Azerbaijan” was presented at the conference, APA reported.
Addressing the event, the vice-speaker of the Azerbaijani Parliament, Bahar Muradova, noted that whatever necessary has been done in Azerbaijan for NGOs to become a part of social life since the country gained its independence.
“Our country has joined relevant conventions and adopted some laws. The state program “Azerbaijan 2020: A look into the future” includes provisions on NGO development,” said Muradova noting that international cooperation is of great importance in this regard.
The vice-speaker stressed that the Azerbaijani government has always favored overt and transparent discussion of problems.
“Institutional support for law enforcement is well ensured. We’ve been able to create fertile conditions for the development of NGOs,” she added.
Elman Pashayev, an official of the Azerbaijani Presidential Administration, said that some work has been done and several meetings have been held with the participation of experts and NGO representatives within the framework of the project.
According to him, recommendations on conformity of the activities of NGOs to international standards will play a positive role in achieving civil dialogue.
“Strengthening the activities of NGOs is not only limited to improving legislative issues. There is a need to increase the professionalism, transparency and accountability of NGO members,” he added.
The chairman of the Council of State Support to NGOs, Azay Guliyev, said that Azerbaijan always stands ready to cooperate with international organizations in the field of legislation on NGOs.
Dragana Filipovic, head of the Council of Europe Office in Baku said that the aim of the project is to improve the activities of NGOs and create a favorable environment for them.
Malena Mard, head of the EU Delegation in Azerbaijan said that the organization she represents always supports the development of civil societies and the project will operate for another year.
- 16.01.2018Keshikchi Dag monastery needs to be repaired – Azerbaijani State Service
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani State Agency for Compulsory Health Insurance becomes public legal entity
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani Supreme Court denies former health minister’s appeal
- 16.01.2018Isa Gambar in stable condition, cardiologist says
- 15.01.2018Siyavush Novruzov: If necessary, state will support Isa Gambar’s treatment
- 15.01.2018Isa Gambar’s health condition improving, cardiologist says
- 15.01.2018Health Ministry: Infant and child mortality rates in Azerbaijan drop three times
- 14.01.2018Recent discovery in Meteorites may prove there is life outside Earth - Study
- 13.01.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Sunday
- 10.01.2018Citizens of Non-Aligned movement states to get education grants in Azerbaijan
- 10.01.2018Iranian FM in Russia for talks on nuclear deal, Syria
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: 2,300 IDP families provided with new apartments in 2017
- 08.01.2018Masalli resident captures injured eagle
- 06.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on highway construction in Khachmaz
- 06.01.2018Turkish citizen standing trial in Azerbaijan
- 06.01.2018ANAMA issues 2017 annual report
- 05.01.2018FEP rates photo of Heydar Aliyev Center as ‘Cover Picture of 2017’
- 05.01.2018Man detained attempting to smuggle drugs from Iran to Azerbaijan
- 03.01.2018MES holds operational meeting on search of missing climbers
- 03.01.2018Nearly 386,000 children born worldwide on New Year’s Day, says UNICEF
- 31.12.2017Baku welcomes New Year - PHOTOSESSION
- 31.12.2017World Azerbaijanis mark Solidarity Day
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves “Law on Restriction of Use of Tobacco Products”
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan abolishes penalty for conversation that can district driver’s attention
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan establishes professional holiday of ASAN Service employees
- 29.12.2017Diabetics increase, specialists decrease in numbers in Azerbaijan
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits Yanardag Reserve
- 29.12.2017Israeli ambassador visits Pirallahi district
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan weather forecast for holidays
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani MP suggests exempting disabled from education fee
- 29.12.2017January weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan makes structural changes to Economy Ministry
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles upon several people on Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis
- 28.12.2017Relocation from Sovetsky to continue in January 2018
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijan detains Indian citizens accused of aiding illegal migration
- 27.12.2017Street in Tbilisi named after prominent Azerbaijani Rashid Behbudov
- 27.12.2017Tbilisi streets named after prominent Azerbaijanis: Many of these names exist on map only
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijani police to tighten security on holidays
- 26.12.2017Patriarch Kirill presents high order of Russian Orthodox Church to Mehriban Aliyeva
- 26.12.2017Ali Hasanov: 11,000 IDP families live in 117 buildings in disrepair in Baku - INTERVIEW
- 18.04.2017Attorneys in MNS case refuse to speak to the press
- 18.04.2017One child given up to foreigner for adoption in Azerbaijan this year
- 19.04.2017The plan for admission of students will be determined by the Cabinet of Ministers
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan State Examination Center appeals to applicants over second entrance exams
- 17.04.2017Residents of the "Sovietski" addressed a letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 17.04.2017Number of Azerbaijani population announced