CoE experts’ report on NGOs presented in Baku
A conference, entitled “Conformity of Azerbaijan’s legislation and practice on NGOs to European standards”, kicked off in Baku April 18.
After the hearing of recommendations by Council of Europe experts, a report prepared by a team of EU experts as part of the joint EU-CoE project “Civil society dialogue in Azerbaijan” was presented at the conference, APA reported.
Addressing the event, the vice-speaker of the Azerbaijani Parliament, Bahar Muradova, noted that whatever necessary has been done in Azerbaijan for NGOs to become a part of social life since the country gained its independence.
“Our country has joined relevant conventions and adopted some laws. The state program “Azerbaijan 2020: A look into the future” includes provisions on NGO development,” said Muradova noting that international cooperation is of great importance in this regard.
The vice-speaker stressed that the Azerbaijani government has always favored overt and transparent discussion of problems.
“Institutional support for law enforcement is well ensured. We’ve been able to create fertile conditions for the development of NGOs,” she added.
Elman Pashayev, an official of the Azerbaijani Presidential Administration, said that some work has been done and several meetings have been held with the participation of experts and NGO representatives within the framework of the project.
According to him, recommendations on conformity of the activities of NGOs to international standards will play a positive role in achieving civil dialogue.
“Strengthening the activities of NGOs is not only limited to improving legislative issues. There is a need to increase the professionalism, transparency and accountability of NGO members,” he added.
The chairman of the Council of State Support to NGOs, Azay Guliyev, said that Azerbaijan always stands ready to cooperate with international organizations in the field of legislation on NGOs.
Dragana Filipovic, head of the Council of Europe Office in Baku said that the aim of the project is to improve the activities of NGOs and create a favorable environment for them.
Malena Mard, head of the EU Delegation in Azerbaijan said that the organization she represents always supports the development of civil societies and the project will operate for another year.
- 25.05.2018Akif Chovdarov asks court to acquit him
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amendments to law on road traffic
- 24.05.2018President Aliyev: Number of Azerbaijani IDPs provided with housing to reach 285,000 by year-end
- 24.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new residential complex for IDPs in Baku
- 23.05.2018Payments on insurance against industrial accidents amounts to AZN 1.4M
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani MP criticizes NGOs: Many of them engaged in populism
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani MP opposes equating bride kidnapping to abduction
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani MP expresses disapproval of media coverage of suicides among youth
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani MP proposes reducing number of children for notion of multiple-children family from 5 to 3
- 23.05.2018Round table on theme “Azerbaijani family model” kicks off in parliament
- 23.05.2018MP: In most cases Facebook, SMS messages end marriages in Azerbaijan
- 23.05.2018Number of people with disabilities in Azerbaijan announced
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijan to amend law on education
- 21.05.2018Teachers to undergo certification testing in Azerbaijan
- 19.05.2018Weather forecast for May 20
- 18.05.2018Newspaper Echo closing down
- 18.05.2018More than 900 people die of HIV in Azerbaijan over past 31 years
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s SEC to hold TOEFL IBT and SAT exams
- 18.05.2018193 diagnosed with HIV in Azerbaijan in 2018, 16 mortalities reported
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan’s Minister of Ecology and Natural Resources has received a BP delegation.
- 17.05.2018Much remains to be done to solve IDPs’ problems in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC chairperson comments on suicides of two applicants
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan SEC gives applicants opportunity to change specialty groups
- 17.05.2018Carpet weaved during period of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic put on display
- 17.05.2018Bodies of Azerbaijani mountaineers handed over to families
- 16.05.2018U.S. citizens traveling by AZAL's New York-Baku flight to be granted ASAN Visa
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijani Cabinet of Ministers mulls strengthening control over illicit medicine trade
- 16.05.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new building of Nakhchivan Teachers Institute
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates secondary school in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev launches start of reconstruction of water supply system in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijani SEC announces results of entrance exams on 2nd and 3rd specialty groups
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijani president inaugurates new building of Heydar Aliyev Modern Educational Complex - UPDATED
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan creates organizing committee to hold European Youth Olympic Festival
- 15.05.2018Amount of fee for ASAN visas offered at Azerbaijani airports determined
- 15.05.2018Over 430,000 foreigners granted Azerbaijani visas via ASAN Visa since January 2017
- 15.05.2018ASAN Visa system launched at Baku’s Heydar Aliyev International Airport
- 14.05.2018Evasion from paying unemployment insurance and mandatory state social insurance to entail criminal liability
- 12.05.2018Traffic movement to be restricted in center of Baku tomorrow
- 12.05.2018Lightning, heavy rain expected in some places tomorrow
- 18.04.2017Attorneys in MNS case refuse to speak to the press
- 18.04.2017One child given up to foreigner for adoption in Azerbaijan this year
- 19.04.2017The plan for admission of students will be determined by the Cabinet of Ministers
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan State Examination Center appeals to applicants over second entrance exams
- 17.04.2017Residents of the "Sovietski" addressed a letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 17.04.2017Number of Azerbaijani population announced