Brain death diagnosis to be made in Azerbaijan
The concept of organ transplantation from a deceased donor (cadaver) is still being developed, Mirjalal Kazimi, a member of the Azerbaijani Health Ministry’s Coordinating Council on Transplantation and head of the surgery and organ transplant department the Central Hospital of Oil Workers, told APA.
He said a concrete decision will be taken by the Health Ministry as to cadaveric organ transplantation.
“Special guidelines will be distributed to hospitals by the ministry, and based on those guidelines doctors can make bran death diagnosis. That’s because an accurate diagnosis of brain death is crucial when it comes to taking an organ of a dead body,” Kazimi said.
According to him, once brain death has been diagnosed three types of experts—a resuscitator, a neurosurgeon, a neurologist, and sometimes a cardiologist—hold a consultation to confirm the brain death.
“Discussions are now ongoing to determine what types of experts should be involved in diagnosing and whether they should be selected from the hospital or there should be a mobile team,” he added.
Kazimi noted that the activity of the Coordinating Council on Transplantation will give a strong impetus to this work and deceased organ donation will soon be realized.
According to the department head, brain death is a serious diagnosis which should be made in the intensive care unit of a specialized hospital for deceased organ donation.
“For example, it is not right to realize organ donation from those who died in road accidents. Some in society misunderstands that as if organs of a deceased are removed in morgues and sold. It is not true. The organs of those deceased are not suitable for transplantation,” Kazimi said.
He continued: “The diagnosis of brain death is declared in an intensive care unit. Once brain death is diagnosed, specific organ-preservation solutions are used as it unknown whether the family will give consent in 1 or 10 hours, or will not give. Upon diagnosis of brain death, there should be special organ transplant coordinators in hospitals. For example, when a person dies in a family, those coordinators should meet the deceased’s family. Coordinators should know psychological and emotional state of people. Imagine that coordinators offer the bereaved families to donate organs of the deceased. People can react to it differently, they may beat the coordinator or respond him with rudeness. Transplant surgeon shouldn’t be involved in the diagnosis of brain death. Following the consultation with the families, transplant coordinators inform transplant surgeons about the brain death of a patient, consent of the family and signed documents. Then they can take the organs, determine appropriate patient and transplant them. They should be transplanted as soon as possible. Following aesthetic closure of a wound, the body of the deceased is handed over to the family. Instructions would cover all of these. The Health Ministry will decide on the hospital which will diagnose bran death.”
Related news releases
- 25.04.2018NGOs adopt statement on 100th anniversary of 1918 Genocide of Azerbaijanis
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijan eyes to impose new penalties for breaking rules on rallies, street marches
- 25.04.2018BHOS concludes 3rd SOCAR International Forum with conference
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijan considers restriction of freedom for several offences
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijan eyes new fines for violating entry and exit rules
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves draft law on employment
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament passes bill on vocational education
- 23.04.2018Jeyhun Bayramov relieved of his duties as Deputy Minister of Education
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani President issues order on allocation of lump-sum financial aid to WW II veterans
- 20.04.2018F1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix: Two hospitals will render medical services to participants, guests
- 20.04.2018Owners of 6 houses damaged in Baku landslide zone receive financial aid
- 20.04.2018Non-smoking area in Baku Metro expanded
- 20.04.2018Baku hosts conference on exposure of Armenian falsifications
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Housing market prices are not suitable for low-income families
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan may prosecute those failing to pay unemployment insurance and compulsory social insurance
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Legal regulation needed for use of social networks
- 19.04.2018Health Ministry: Anemia, kidney and heart diseases widespread among pregnant women in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.201837,618 abortion cases recorded in Azerbaijan in 2017
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan reveals number of maternal deaths registered in 1Q 2018
- 19.04.2018Early marriages reported not only among Azerbaijanis living in Georgia: UNFPA study
- 19.04.2018Kamaladdin Heydarov meets with IAEA chief
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs decree to improve social protection of families of servicemen killed in military ops
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani citizens’ living standards will increase in coming years
- 18.04.2018Dust from Arabian Peninsula to reach Azerbaijan
- 18.04.20184th OIC Conference of Youth and Sports Ministers kicks off in Baku
- 18.04.2018Belarus may deliver Polonaise multiple rocket launch systems to Azerbaijan: Russian paper
- 18.04.2018Traffic to be restricted in Baku for 2018 F1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani SEC: Results of final exams may remain valid for two years
- 16.04.2018Amount of financial assistance for owners of damaged houses in Baku landslide zone determined
- 10.04.2018Strong geomagnetic storm expected in coming days
- 10.04.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan’s Health Ministry announces average life expectancy
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan, India discuss cooperation in education
- 09.04.2018AZN 3mln allocated to Youth Foundation
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijan declares March 27 as ‘Science Day’
- 07.04.2018Temperature to be 20 C in Baku tomorrow
- 07.04.2018Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources: Process of flooding intensified in Baku
- 06.04.2018Requirements concerning specially designated smoking areas specified in Azerbaijan
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan defining rules for organizing social workplaces
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan defining cases of involvement in forced labor
- 26.01.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Tovuz on Jan. 28
- 27.01.2017Trial resumed for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 27.01.2017Azerbaijani SCC chairman promoted to rank of colonel general
- 26.01.2017Unsteady weather predicted for Azerbaijan, temperature to drop
- 26.01.2017Court issues special ruling against inspectors
- 26.01.2017“ASAN Qatar” to be launched on Feb. 1