Brain death diagnosis to be made in Azerbaijan
The concept of organ transplantation from a deceased donor (cadaver) is still being developed, Mirjalal Kazimi, a member of the Azerbaijani Health Ministry’s Coordinating Council on Transplantation and head of the surgery and organ transplant department the Central Hospital of Oil Workers, told APA.
He said a concrete decision will be taken by the Health Ministry as to cadaveric organ transplantation.
“Special guidelines will be distributed to hospitals by the ministry, and based on those guidelines doctors can make bran death diagnosis. That’s because an accurate diagnosis of brain death is crucial when it comes to taking an organ of a dead body,” Kazimi said.
According to him, once brain death has been diagnosed three types of experts—a resuscitator, a neurosurgeon, a neurologist, and sometimes a cardiologist—hold a consultation to confirm the brain death.
“Discussions are now ongoing to determine what types of experts should be involved in diagnosing and whether they should be selected from the hospital or there should be a mobile team,” he added.
Kazimi noted that the activity of the Coordinating Council on Transplantation will give a strong impetus to this work and deceased organ donation will soon be realized.
According to the department head, brain death is a serious diagnosis which should be made in the intensive care unit of a specialized hospital for deceased organ donation.
“For example, it is not right to realize organ donation from those who died in road accidents. Some in society misunderstands that as if organs of a deceased are removed in morgues and sold. It is not true. The organs of those deceased are not suitable for transplantation,” Kazimi said.
He continued: “The diagnosis of brain death is declared in an intensive care unit. Once brain death is diagnosed, specific organ-preservation solutions are used as it unknown whether the family will give consent in 1 or 10 hours, or will not give. Upon diagnosis of brain death, there should be special organ transplant coordinators in hospitals. For example, when a person dies in a family, those coordinators should meet the deceased’s family. Coordinators should know psychological and emotional state of people. Imagine that coordinators offer the bereaved families to donate organs of the deceased. People can react to it differently, they may beat the coordinator or respond him with rudeness. Transplant surgeon shouldn’t be involved in the diagnosis of brain death. Following the consultation with the families, transplant coordinators inform transplant surgeons about the brain death of a patient, consent of the family and signed documents. Then they can take the organs, determine appropriate patient and transplant them. They should be transplanted as soon as possible. Following aesthetic closure of a wound, the body of the deceased is handed over to the family. Instructions would cover all of these. The Health Ministry will decide on the hospital which will diagnose bran death.”
Related news releases
- 24.07.2017University entry examination results on 1st and 4th specialty groups announced
- 24.07.2017Mashallah Ahmadov’s sentence reduced from 8 to 2 years
- 24.07.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues
- 24.07.2017Court announces verdict against Faiq Amirli
- 24.07.2017Applicants evacuated from university building due to fire to retake exam on July 27
- 22.07.2017Those who were taking exam at university at the time of fire will retake exam
- 21.07.2017President: Investments to be made in pharmaceutical factories amount to $100 million
- 21.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Drinking water supply projects successfully implemented in Azerbaijan
- 21.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views plans of work to be done in center of Pirallahi
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani president awards Avaz Alakbarov
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Nearly 80 percent of Azerbaijani population is internet users
- 20.07.2017Alexander Lapshin sentenced to 3 years in prison
- 19.07.2017Article by TEAS director published on website of “Peace and Sport” organization
- 19.07.2017Delegation of Pakistan’s National Disaster Management Authority arrives in Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2017Prosecutor seeks 4.5 years behind bars for APFP chairman’s assistant
- 19.07.2017UN report: 443,000 teens give birth in Eastern Europe and Central Asia every year
- 19.07.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 18.07.2017Opening of new TV channel proposed in Azerbaijan
- 18.07.2017ANAMA: 300ha area cleared of mine, UXOs in Jojug Marjanli
- 17.07.2017Kamran Aliyev: In Azerbaijan more bribes offered than taken
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan concludes investigation into 19 criminal cases on banking sector
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan completes investigation into criminal cases of 133 officials charged with corruption
- 15.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views conditions created in new park in Yasamal
- 15.07.2017Azerbaijani President warns officials, businessmen against cutting down trees
- 15.07.2017Int’l dolma festival held in Azerbaijan’s Khachmaz
- 15.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views newly built park in Yasamal district
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijani Health Ministry: 12,036 people wishing to marry diagnosed with thalassemia
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijani Education Ministry: Application for transfer of students to begin on July 17
- 14.07.2017Vugar Safarli: Names of journalists to be given apartments will be announced on July 21
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijan SEC to hold entrance exams on II and III specialty groups
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on education
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan bans advertising of abortion and artificial fermentation
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani President: Some public servants misbehave and make blatant mistakes
- 12.07.2017Judicial investigation into Alexander Lapshin’s case concludes
- 12.07.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan appoints new chairpersons to several courts of appeal
- 11.07.2017New chairpersons appointed to civil, military collegiums of Azerbaijani Supreme Court
- 11.07.2017APA photographers among best of Baku 2017
- 11.07.2017Lapshin’s trial postponed
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor’s Office receives submission on initiation of criminal case against former national security minister
- 26.01.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Tovuz on Jan. 28
- 27.01.2017Trial resumed for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 27.01.2017Azerbaijani SCC chairman promoted to rank of colonel general
- 26.01.2017Unsteady weather predicted for Azerbaijan, temperature to drop
- 26.01.2017Court issues special ruling against inspectors
- 26.01.2017“ASAN Qatar” to be launched on Feb. 1