Brain death diagnosis to be made in Azerbaijan
The concept of organ transplantation from a deceased donor (cadaver) is still being developed, Mirjalal Kazimi, a member of the Azerbaijani Health Ministry’s Coordinating Council on Transplantation and head of the surgery and organ transplant department the Central Hospital of Oil Workers, told APA.
He said a concrete decision will be taken by the Health Ministry as to cadaveric organ transplantation.
“Special guidelines will be distributed to hospitals by the ministry, and based on those guidelines doctors can make bran death diagnosis. That’s because an accurate diagnosis of brain death is crucial when it comes to taking an organ of a dead body,” Kazimi said.
According to him, once brain death has been diagnosed three types of experts—a resuscitator, a neurosurgeon, a neurologist, and sometimes a cardiologist—hold a consultation to confirm the brain death.
“Discussions are now ongoing to determine what types of experts should be involved in diagnosing and whether they should be selected from the hospital or there should be a mobile team,” he added.
Kazimi noted that the activity of the Coordinating Council on Transplantation will give a strong impetus to this work and deceased organ donation will soon be realized.
According to the department head, brain death is a serious diagnosis which should be made in the intensive care unit of a specialized hospital for deceased organ donation.
“For example, it is not right to realize organ donation from those who died in road accidents. Some in society misunderstands that as if organs of a deceased are removed in morgues and sold. It is not true. The organs of those deceased are not suitable for transplantation,” Kazimi said.
He continued: “The diagnosis of brain death is declared in an intensive care unit. Once brain death is diagnosed, specific organ-preservation solutions are used as it unknown whether the family will give consent in 1 or 10 hours, or will not give. Upon diagnosis of brain death, there should be special organ transplant coordinators in hospitals. For example, when a person dies in a family, those coordinators should meet the deceased’s family. Coordinators should know psychological and emotional state of people. Imagine that coordinators offer the bereaved families to donate organs of the deceased. People can react to it differently, they may beat the coordinator or respond him with rudeness. Transplant surgeon shouldn’t be involved in the diagnosis of brain death. Following the consultation with the families, transplant coordinators inform transplant surgeons about the brain death of a patient, consent of the family and signed documents. Then they can take the organs, determine appropriate patient and transplant them. They should be transplanted as soon as possible. Following aesthetic closure of a wound, the body of the deceased is handed over to the family. Instructions would cover all of these. The Health Ministry will decide on the hospital which will diagnose bran death.”
Related news releases
- 25.03.2017Dry weather predicted for March 26
- 24.03.2017Temperature to reach 18 C in Azerbaijan tomorrow
- 23.03.2017Changeable cloudy and dry weather predicted in Baku
- 22.03.2017Changeable cloudy weather to prevail in Baku
- 20.03.2017Azercell supports international event in Baku
- 20.03.2017Spring comes to Azerbaijan
- 18.03.2017Commission for the Regulation and Coordination of Labor Relations established in Azerbaijan
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani court pronounces verdict against former navy chief
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan to apply writing tasks for college admission for first time
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani Emergencies Ministry to work on enhanced mode during holiday
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan completes execution of president’s pardon order
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan extends deadline for document admission to master’s degree and residency
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani MP’s nephew charged with swindle released in courtroom
- 17.03.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Aghdash
- 17.03.2017Albanian president awarded title of honorary doctor of Azerbaijan University of Languages
- 17.03.201714 female inmates pardoned Azerbaijan's president
- 17.03.2017Pardon order: 40 inmates released from Correctional Facility No. 13
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan starts execution of presidential order on pardon
- 16.03.2017Rector appointed to Baku Engineering University
- 16.03.2017Number of Azerbaijani population announced
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani MES: Project for 1st micro-district to cover more areas in case it proves successful
- 15.03.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official
- 14.03.2017Two-time European karate champion standing trial on drug charges
- 14.03.2017Dust clouds over Turkmenistan to hit Azerbaijan
- 14.03.2017Hearing in case of former MNS generals postponed
- 14.03.2017Supreme Court considers IBA ex-chairman’s appeal
- 14.03.2017Azerbaijani court rejects appeal of former OMON members
- 14.03.2017Azerbaijan celebrates Last Tuesday of Novruz Holiday
- 13.03.2017Alexander Lapshin meets lawyer
- 13.03.2017Dust storm from Arabian Desert hits Baku
- 13.03.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Aghdash
- 13.03.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial postponed
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss bill prohibiting smoking in public places
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan announce dates of entrance exams for master’s degree
- 10.03.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan announces admission to masters degree
- 09.03.2017Former MNS employees plead not guilty - UPDATED
- 09.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: Main goal is to provide 4,000 IDP families with apartments in Baku and Sumgayit
- 09.03.2017US ambassador begins trip to Azerbaijan’s southern region
- 08.03.2017Today marks International Women’s Day
- 26.01.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Tovuz on Jan. 28
- 27.01.2017Trial resumed for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 27.01.2017Azerbaijani SCC chairman promoted to rank of colonel general
- 26.01.2017Unsteady weather predicted for Azerbaijan, temperature to drop
- 26.01.2017Court issues special ruling against inspectors
- 26.01.2017“ASAN Qatar” to be launched on Feb. 1