Brain death diagnosis to be made in Azerbaijan
The concept of organ transplantation from a deceased donor (cadaver) is still being developed, Mirjalal Kazimi, a member of the Azerbaijani Health Ministry’s Coordinating Council on Transplantation and head of the surgery and organ transplant department the Central Hospital of Oil Workers, told APA.
He said a concrete decision will be taken by the Health Ministry as to cadaveric organ transplantation.
“Special guidelines will be distributed to hospitals by the ministry, and based on those guidelines doctors can make bran death diagnosis. That’s because an accurate diagnosis of brain death is crucial when it comes to taking an organ of a dead body,” Kazimi said.
According to him, once brain death has been diagnosed three types of experts—a resuscitator, a neurosurgeon, a neurologist, and sometimes a cardiologist—hold a consultation to confirm the brain death.
“Discussions are now ongoing to determine what types of experts should be involved in diagnosing and whether they should be selected from the hospital or there should be a mobile team,” he added.
Kazimi noted that the activity of the Coordinating Council on Transplantation will give a strong impetus to this work and deceased organ donation will soon be realized.
According to the department head, brain death is a serious diagnosis which should be made in the intensive care unit of a specialized hospital for deceased organ donation.
“For example, it is not right to realize organ donation from those who died in road accidents. Some in society misunderstands that as if organs of a deceased are removed in morgues and sold. It is not true. The organs of those deceased are not suitable for transplantation,” Kazimi said.
He continued: “The diagnosis of brain death is declared in an intensive care unit. Once brain death is diagnosed, specific organ-preservation solutions are used as it unknown whether the family will give consent in 1 or 10 hours, or will not give. Upon diagnosis of brain death, there should be special organ transplant coordinators in hospitals. For example, when a person dies in a family, those coordinators should meet the deceased’s family. Coordinators should know psychological and emotional state of people. Imagine that coordinators offer the bereaved families to donate organs of the deceased. People can react to it differently, they may beat the coordinator or respond him with rudeness. Transplant surgeon shouldn’t be involved in the diagnosis of brain death. Following the consultation with the families, transplant coordinators inform transplant surgeons about the brain death of a patient, consent of the family and signed documents. Then they can take the organs, determine appropriate patient and transplant them. They should be transplanted as soon as possible. Following aesthetic closure of a wound, the body of the deceased is handed over to the family. Instructions would cover all of these. The Health Ministry will decide on the hospital which will diagnose bran death.”
Related news releases
- 22.11.2017Number of Armenians living in Azerbaijan revealed
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani Parl’t deputy speaker stresses need for reforms in law enforcement, security and judicial bodies
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani MP calls for more spending on healthcare
- 22.11.2017MP proposes creating business incubators in Azerbaijan’s educational institutions
- 22.11.2017Baku hosts int’l conference on promoting tolerance among youth
- 22.11.2017Leyla Aliyeva meets with UNICEF regional director
- 22.11.201720 judges, including 7 chairmen of courts dismissed in Azerbaijan this year
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani state should provide serious support for treatment of autistic children – MP
- 21.11.2017Dust quantity in Baku and Absheron Peninsula exceeds sanitary norm
- 20.11.2017World conflicts hinder mankind from achieving SDGs – UNICEF
- 20.11.2017UNICEF: Level of children’s education in Azerbaijan exceeds 95 percent
- 20.11.2017Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Zardab district
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijan to have five-day holiday for New Year
- 18.11.2017Fatal traffic accident kills 1 police, injures another in Azerbaijan
- 18.11.2017Changeable cloudy weather to prevail in Baku
- 18.11.2017Landslide activity observed in Baku’s Zigh settlement
- 17.11.2017Another quake hits Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017Private and municipal vocational education institutions to be established in Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017ANAS: Land plots, scientific facilities seized over last 5 years returned
- 16.11.2017Kamaladdin Heydarov meets Moldovan interior minister
- 16.11.2017U.S. ambassador to Azerbaijan visits ABAD trade & exhibition center
- 16.11.2017APA celebrates 13th anniversary - PHOTOSESSION
- 16.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan known in world as sporting nation
- 16.11.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates newly-built school in Masazir
- 16.11.2017ANAS: Yesterday’s quake in Azerbaijan had nothing to do with recent quake in Iran
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan establishes organizing committee for Baku BMX World Championships 2018
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan to mark 110th jubilee of academician Ashraf Huseynov
- 15.11.2017U.S. ambassador visits Salyan American Corner
- 15.11.2017Deloitte Azerbaijan introduces new publication - ®
- 15.11.2017Compulsory health insurance can be applied throughout Azerbaijan in 2018 – deputy minister
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan developing state program to repatriate its citizens in Iraq, Syria
- 15.11.2017Deputy Minister reacts to US State Department advising its citizens not to undergo surgery in Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Baku State University’s 100th anniversary to be marked at state level
- 14.11.2017London, a city where you can see Sun, rain and Queen at the same time
- 14.11.2017EBU says Karabakh separatists’ flag to be prevented from being raised at 2017 Junior Eurovision
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani police warn drivers over use of darks films, blinds on car windows
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijan’s Consulate General commemorates Holocaust in Los Angeles
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijan International Environmental Exhibition kicks off
- 13.11.2017New staff of State Language Commission approved
- 26.01.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Tovuz on Jan. 28
- 27.01.2017Trial resumed for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 27.01.2017Azerbaijani SCC chairman promoted to rank of colonel general
- 26.01.2017Unsteady weather predicted for Azerbaijan, temperature to drop
- 26.01.2017Court issues special ruling against inspectors
- 26.01.2017“ASAN Qatar” to be launched on Feb. 1