Baku hosts seminar on media’s role and duties in presidential elections
A seminar-conference on the role and duties of media in presidential elections was held in Baku on March 19.
The seminar-conference was co-organized by the Azerbaijani Presidential Administration, the Central Election Commission (CEC), the National Television and Radio Council (NTRC) and the Press Council.
Azerbaijani President’s Assistant for Public and Political Affairs Ali Hasanov, CEC Chairman Mazahir Panahov, NTRC Chairman Nushiravan Maharramli, Press Council Chairman Aflatun Amashov, heads of several media outlets, journalists, active social network users and bloggers.
Addressing the event, CEC Chairman Mazahir Panahov said that the electoral process is about to over, and a roundtable with the participation of presidential elections will be aired on Public Television (ITV).
"Pre-election campaigning begins today. The roundtable in the radio is scheduled to start around 19.00, on Public Television at 22.00 or after 22.00 Baku time,” he said.
The CEC chairman informed that over 5,300,000 people are expected to vote at 5,600 polling stations in the upcoming presidential election.
“A 280-meber short-term election observation mission from the OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) will arrive in Azerbaijan a few days before the voting day. In addition, web cameras will be installed at 1,000 polling stations. Web cameras are an indicator of the transparency of elections. It is possible to observe the electoral process in 20 per cent of polling stations in Azerbaijan from anywhere in the world without coming to Azerbaijan. This is a manifestation of a political will. At the initiative of the President of Azerbaijan the decision has been made to install web cameras to ensure transparency in the elections,” he said.
Noting that sometimes minor cases of electoral infringement are exaggerated by outside forces, the CEC chairman said the media have a great role to play in the election process.
"We believe in the experience of the Azerbaijani mass media. Voting is the only thing process whereby outside forces get the opportunity to a country’s domestic affairs. The media have had a large role in the election achievements in Azerbaijan,” added Panahov.
Presidential Assistant for Public and Political Affairs Ali Hasanov said the election process is consists of pre-campaign, campaign and election observation, and the announcement of results. Hasanov urged the mass media to comply with the Electoral Code and to demonstrate professional activity.
NTRC Chairman Maharramli noted that no complaint has been filed by any organization or candidate so far.
Chairman of the Press Council Aflatun Amashov spoke about the Press Council's activities relating the upcoming elections.
"The monitoring of 15 newspapers, 10 agencies, is ongoing. To what extent the materials on the candidates have been prepared will be examined. Attention will be paid to the difference between the facts and the author's comment. The Press Council’s landlines will be functioning as “hotlines” during the elections. As soon as any issues arise, the CEC will be contacted just as in the previous elections," he said.
Deputy Chairman of the CEC Natig Mammadov delivered a speech on the theme about the free behavior and equality of the campaign subjects during the pre-election campaign stage in Azerbaijan's presidential elections, and on the role and responsibilities of the media in this process.
The event continued in discussions.
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves draft law on employment
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament passes bill on vocational education
- 23.04.2018Jeyhun Bayramov relieved of his duties as Deputy Minister of Education
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani President issues order on allocation of lump-sum financial aid to WW II veterans
- 20.04.2018F1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix: Two hospitals will render medical services to participants, guests
- 20.04.2018Owners of 6 houses damaged in Baku landslide zone receive financial aid
- 20.04.2018Non-smoking area in Baku Metro expanded
- 20.04.2018Baku hosts conference on exposure of Armenian falsifications
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Housing market prices are not suitable for low-income families
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan may prosecute those failing to pay unemployment insurance and compulsory social insurance
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Legal regulation needed for use of social networks
- 19.04.2018Health Ministry: Anemia, kidney and heart diseases widespread among pregnant women in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.201837,618 abortion cases recorded in Azerbaijan in 2017
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan reveals number of maternal deaths registered in 1Q 2018
- 19.04.2018Early marriages reported not only among Azerbaijanis living in Georgia: UNFPA study
- 19.04.2018Kamaladdin Heydarov meets with IAEA chief
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs decree to improve social protection of families of servicemen killed in military ops
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani citizens’ living standards will increase in coming years
- 18.04.2018Dust from Arabian Peninsula to reach Azerbaijan
- 18.04.20184th OIC Conference of Youth and Sports Ministers kicks off in Baku
- 18.04.2018Belarus may deliver Polonaise multiple rocket launch systems to Azerbaijan: Russian paper
- 18.04.2018Traffic to be restricted in Baku for 2018 F1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani SEC: Results of final exams may remain valid for two years
- 16.04.2018Amount of financial assistance for owners of damaged houses in Baku landslide zone determined
- 10.04.2018Strong geomagnetic storm expected in coming days
- 10.04.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan’s Health Ministry announces average life expectancy
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan, India discuss cooperation in education
- 09.04.2018AZN 3mln allocated to Youth Foundation
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijan declares March 27 as ‘Science Day’
- 07.04.2018Temperature to be 20 C in Baku tomorrow
- 07.04.2018Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources: Process of flooding intensified in Baku
- 06.04.2018Requirements concerning specially designated smoking areas specified in Azerbaijan
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan defining rules for organizing social workplaces
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan defining cases of involvement in forced labor
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan may create vacancy bank for unemployed
- 05.04.2018Number of Azerbaijani citizens imprisoned in Georgia revealed
- 04.04.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 04.04.2018Construction of houses in Bayil landslide zone prohibited, deputy PM says
- 04.04.2018Residents of six collapsed houses in Bayil landslide zone to receive compensation within 10 days
- 20.02.2016Rules on admission to higher education institutions amended
- 20.02.2016Hunting season extended until March 10 in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2016Document admission to master’s degree ended in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2016Azerbaijan reprimands 8 judges last year
- 19.02.2016ANAS planning to create School of science and business
- 19.02.2016Documents related to former SSAC spokesman sent to Anti-Corruption Department