Azerbaijani parliament to discuss bill prohibiting smoking in public places
A bill prohibiting smoking in public places in Azerbaijan was discussed Friday at a joint meeting of the parliament’s Labor and Social Policy Committee and Human Rights Committee.
Adil Valiyev, head of the Sector on Labor Legislation in the Social Legislation Department of the Administration of the Azerbaijan Parliament, gave information about the bill, APA reported.
According to him, the bill, consisting of three chapters and 18 articles, defines the legal bases for the protection of the population’s health, promotion of healthy lifestyle, healthy growth and development of children and young people, prevention of addiction to bad habits, tobacco use and reduction of the harmful effects of tobacco smoke on the environment.
The bill prohibits smoking at healthcare facilities, scientific and educational institutions, museums, libraries, cinemas, theaters, circus buildings, exhibition halls, sport venues, concerts halls, shopping, housing and social service facilities, all types of public catering facilities except for areas specially designated for smoking, residential buildings and other indoor places for public use, elevators of multi-storey buildings, office buildings, personal offices except for areas specially designated for smoking, air and sea ports, administrative buildings, railway stations, bus terminals except for areas specially designated for smoking at bus stops, as well as in playgrounds, beaches, petrol stations and other places.
The bill further restricts the use of tobacco products in educational institutions, as well as in their territories, in healthcare, rehabilitation facilities and sanatorium, as well as in their territories, in all enterprises, institutions and organizations, workplaces, halls where sports competitions are held, public catering places, restaurants, cafes and bars (except for outdoor facilities), commercial and housing facilities, hotels and other places.
The bill also prohibits the sale of tobacco, tobacco advertising and its promotion. Furthermore, television and radio broadcasters should air a program on negative effects of tobacco use and other bad health habits, as well as allocate not less than 90 minutes of airtime for these programs per month.
Those who violate the law will be brought to responsibility in accordance with the Civil Code, Criminal Code and Code of Administrative Offences.
The bill was recommended for a discussion at the upcoming parliament’s plenary session.
Related news releases
- 20.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev opened Shamkir branch of “Azerkhalcha” OJSC
- 20.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurated Heydar Aliyev Center in Gadabay
- 19.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev views conditions created at Galaba Park in Goygol
- 19.08.2017AZN 11.8M allocated for reconstruction of water supply and sewerage systems in Azerbaijan’s Salyan
- 16.08.2017Prosecutor seeks 15 years for Akif Chovdarov - UPDATED
- 14.08.2017Baku to host Global Young Leaders Forum
- 14.08.20172,650 Azerbaijani citizens study in Georgia
- 14.08.2017Ghulam Isaczai: Azerbaijani young people are energetic, innovative and inspirational
- 12.08.2017Azerbaijan announces university placement results
- 09.08.2017Iran building hospitals near border with Azerbaijan
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijan declares 4 days off for Eid al-Adha
- 07.08.2017Interior Ministry and Prosecutor’s Office issue joint statement on traffic accident caused by ‘Gelandewagen’
- 07.08.2017Prosecutor seeks penalty for woman for falsely presenting herself as MNS officials
- 05.08.2017Temperature to be 38C in Baku, 40C in regions tomorrow
- 04.08.2017President: Level of unemployment and poverty to reduce more
- 04.08.2017Argument erupts during trial of former MNS general
- 03.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev launches new electrical substation in Gakh
- 03.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of 180-seat orphanage-kindergarten in Gakh
- 03.08.2017Flag Museum opened in Gakh
- 03.08.2017Azerbaijani President arrives in Zagatala
- 03.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of ABAD Center in Balakan
- 03.08.2017Flag Museum opens in Balakan
- 02.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary title on 20 January martyr
- 02.08.2017Ministry of Emergency Situations call on the public to abide by safety regulations on beaches
- 02.08.2017Azerbaijani President attends opening of Pirshagi-Novkhani and Binagadi-Novkhani-Corat highways
- 01.08.2017Baku Higher Oil School students undertake internship at BP
- 31.07.2017Zakir Garalov: Imprisoned MNS officials’ properties worth AZN 56mln under arrest
- 31.07.2017UNEC Business School graduates get global job opportunities
- 31.07.2017Solar eclipse to occur next month
- 29.07.2017Applicants for journalism specialty takes aptitude test
- 28.07.2017Interior Minister of Nakhchivan AR dismissed
- 28.07.2017Program Manager from Massachusetts Institute of Technology visits Baku Higher Oil School
- 28.07.2017Azerbaijan publicizes number of people bitten by snakes in July
- 28.07.2017Prosecutor seeks 5-year sentence for ex-official of liquidated ministry
- 28.07.2017State Examination Center addresses applicants who took entrance exam on July 27
- 28.07.2017The number of people released from arrest has increased by 28% over the past year in Azerbaijan
- 27.07.201783 people killed, 159 injured in emergency situations in Azerbaijan this year
- 27.07.2017Lapshin appeals to Azerbaijani Justice Ministry for his extradition to Israel
- 27.07.2017Temperature in Baku to reach 34-39C in late July
- 27.07.2017Vidadi Zeynalov, Beytulla Huseynov each get 13 years in prison - UPDATED
- 13.03.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial postponed
- 13.03.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Aghdash
- 13.03.2017Dust storm from Arabian Desert hits Baku
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan announce dates of entrance exams for master’s degree
- 10.03.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan announces admission to masters degree