Azerbaijani parliament to discuss bill prohibiting smoking in public places
A bill prohibiting smoking in public places in Azerbaijan was discussed Friday at a joint meeting of the parliament’s Labor and Social Policy Committee and Human Rights Committee.
Adil Valiyev, head of the Sector on Labor Legislation in the Social Legislation Department of the Administration of the Azerbaijan Parliament, gave information about the bill, APA reported.
According to him, the bill, consisting of three chapters and 18 articles, defines the legal bases for the protection of the population’s health, promotion of healthy lifestyle, healthy growth and development of children and young people, prevention of addiction to bad habits, tobacco use and reduction of the harmful effects of tobacco smoke on the environment.
The bill prohibits smoking at healthcare facilities, scientific and educational institutions, museums, libraries, cinemas, theaters, circus buildings, exhibition halls, sport venues, concerts halls, shopping, housing and social service facilities, all types of public catering facilities except for areas specially designated for smoking, residential buildings and other indoor places for public use, elevators of multi-storey buildings, office buildings, personal offices except for areas specially designated for smoking, air and sea ports, administrative buildings, railway stations, bus terminals except for areas specially designated for smoking at bus stops, as well as in playgrounds, beaches, petrol stations and other places.
The bill further restricts the use of tobacco products in educational institutions, as well as in their territories, in healthcare, rehabilitation facilities and sanatorium, as well as in their territories, in all enterprises, institutions and organizations, workplaces, halls where sports competitions are held, public catering places, restaurants, cafes and bars (except for outdoor facilities), commercial and housing facilities, hotels and other places.
The bill also prohibits the sale of tobacco, tobacco advertising and its promotion. Furthermore, television and radio broadcasters should air a program on negative effects of tobacco use and other bad health habits, as well as allocate not less than 90 minutes of airtime for these programs per month.
Those who violate the law will be brought to responsibility in accordance with the Civil Code, Criminal Code and Code of Administrative Offences.
The bill was recommended for a discussion at the upcoming parliament’s plenary session.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2017Registration for second participation in Azerbaijan university entrance exams over
- 22.05.2017Ibrahim Guliyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 22.05.2017Traffic ban on Baku 2017 ‘special lanes’ to be lifted on May 23
- 22.05.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Beylagan on May 24
- 22.05.2017Baku to host Azerbaijan-Romania Inter-University Forum
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijani emergencies ministry denies reports of staff reductions
- 20.05.2017French-Azerbaijani University announces admission of students
- 20.05.2017Illegal passenger transportation by buses prevented in Baku-Sumgayit highway
- 19.05.2017WHO: Azerbaijan had lowest suicide rate in Europe in 2015
- 19.05.2017Students in some Azerbaijani universities changed electronic exam grades
- 19.05.2017Health Ministry: 108 people diagnosed with HIV in Azerbaijan in 1Q 2017
- 18.05.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov meets ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijani Education Ministry to terminate employment contracts with teachers recruited without competition
- 17.05.2017Int’l seminar on human trafficking awareness kicks off in Vienna
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan launches campaign to aid Syrian children
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan’s population exceeds 9.8 million
- 17.05.2017More than 1.2 million adolescents die every year
- 17.05.2017Citizens of 12 more countries to use Azerbaijan’s ASAN Visa system
- 16.05.2017American Jewish community plans to invest in construction of Jewish school in Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani president confers honorary titles on persons who died of wounds sustained during 20 January events
- 16.05.2017NTRC: Broadcasting of foreign TV channels in Azerbaijan to be brought in line with standards
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan approves list of licensed services and work in field of private medicine
- 15.05.2017Presentation of ‘Asiada-2017’ held in Baku
- 15.05.2017Lawyer asks court to acquit Azerbaijan’s ex-health minister
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijan’s ASAN Visa offers service for registration of group visas
- 12.05.2017Rich history of Azerbaijani equestrianism returns to Windsor
- 12.05.2017Azerbaijan to change conditions for labor contract terms
- 11.05.2017Nardaran resident Natig Karimov gets 7-year conditional sentence
- 11.05.2017About 900 drivers fined over moving on Islamic Solidarity Games ‘special lanes’
- 11.05.2017In some cases Azerbaijani citizens to be able to travel abroad using national ID only
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijan continues diagnostic assessment of teachers
- 10.05.2017Weather deterioration predicted in Azerbaijan in coming days
- 10.05.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed
- 09.05.201772 years pass since victory over fascism
- 08.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends memorial event for outstanding scientist, academician Rafiga Aliyeva
- 08.05.2017Azerbaijan announces traffic rules on days of opening and closing of Islamic Solidarity Games
- 07.05.2017Azerbaijan SEC holds entrance exams on I and IV specialty groups
- 06.05.20174th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue attended by representatives of 123 countries
- 06.05.20174th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue comes to a close
- 06.05.2017Leyla Aliyeva: A peaceful, inclusive society can be achieved by eliminating poverty and hunger
- 13.03.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial postponed
- 13.03.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Aghdash
- 13.03.2017Dust storm from Arabian Desert hits Baku
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan announce dates of entrance exams for master’s degree
- 10.03.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan announces admission to masters degree