Azerbaijani parliament to discuss bill prohibiting smoking in public places
A bill prohibiting smoking in public places in Azerbaijan was discussed Friday at a joint meeting of the parliament’s Labor and Social Policy Committee and Human Rights Committee.
Adil Valiyev, head of the Sector on Labor Legislation in the Social Legislation Department of the Administration of the Azerbaijan Parliament, gave information about the bill, APA reported.
According to him, the bill, consisting of three chapters and 18 articles, defines the legal bases for the protection of the population’s health, promotion of healthy lifestyle, healthy growth and development of children and young people, prevention of addiction to bad habits, tobacco use and reduction of the harmful effects of tobacco smoke on the environment.
The bill prohibits smoking at healthcare facilities, scientific and educational institutions, museums, libraries, cinemas, theaters, circus buildings, exhibition halls, sport venues, concerts halls, shopping, housing and social service facilities, all types of public catering facilities except for areas specially designated for smoking, residential buildings and other indoor places for public use, elevators of multi-storey buildings, office buildings, personal offices except for areas specially designated for smoking, air and sea ports, administrative buildings, railway stations, bus terminals except for areas specially designated for smoking at bus stops, as well as in playgrounds, beaches, petrol stations and other places.
The bill further restricts the use of tobacco products in educational institutions, as well as in their territories, in healthcare, rehabilitation facilities and sanatorium, as well as in their territories, in all enterprises, institutions and organizations, workplaces, halls where sports competitions are held, public catering places, restaurants, cafes and bars (except for outdoor facilities), commercial and housing facilities, hotels and other places.
The bill also prohibits the sale of tobacco, tobacco advertising and its promotion. Furthermore, television and radio broadcasters should air a program on negative effects of tobacco use and other bad health habits, as well as allocate not less than 90 minutes of airtime for these programs per month.
Those who violate the law will be brought to responsibility in accordance with the Civil Code, Criminal Code and Code of Administrative Offences.
The bill was recommended for a discussion at the upcoming parliament’s plenary session.
Related news releases
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan increases salaries of teachers working in state vocational education institutions
- 17.01.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan SEC announces dates of final, entrance exams in 2018
- 16.01.2018Keshikchi Dag monastery needs to be repaired – Azerbaijani State Service
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani State Agency for Compulsory Health Insurance becomes public legal entity
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani Supreme Court denies former health minister’s appeal
- 16.01.2018Isa Gambar in stable condition, cardiologist says
- 15.01.2018Siyavush Novruzov: If necessary, state will support Isa Gambar’s treatment
- 15.01.2018Isa Gambar’s health condition improving, cardiologist says
- 15.01.2018Health Ministry: Infant and child mortality rates in Azerbaijan drop three times
- 14.01.2018Recent discovery in Meteorites may prove there is life outside Earth - Study
- 13.01.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Sunday
- 10.01.2018Citizens of Non-Aligned movement states to get education grants in Azerbaijan
- 10.01.2018Iranian FM in Russia for talks on nuclear deal, Syria
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: 2,300 IDP families provided with new apartments in 2017
- 08.01.2018Masalli resident captures injured eagle
- 06.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on highway construction in Khachmaz
- 06.01.2018Turkish citizen standing trial in Azerbaijan
- 06.01.2018ANAMA issues 2017 annual report
- 05.01.2018FEP rates photo of Heydar Aliyev Center as ‘Cover Picture of 2017’
- 05.01.2018Man detained attempting to smuggle drugs from Iran to Azerbaijan
- 03.01.2018MES holds operational meeting on search of missing climbers
- 03.01.2018Nearly 386,000 children born worldwide on New Year’s Day, says UNICEF
- 31.12.2017Baku welcomes New Year - PHOTOSESSION
- 31.12.2017World Azerbaijanis mark Solidarity Day
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves “Law on Restriction of Use of Tobacco Products”
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan abolishes penalty for conversation that can district driver’s attention
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan establishes professional holiday of ASAN Service employees
- 29.12.2017Diabetics increase, specialists decrease in numbers in Azerbaijan
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits Yanardag Reserve
- 29.12.2017Israeli ambassador visits Pirallahi district
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijan weather forecast for holidays
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani MP suggests exempting disabled from education fee
- 29.12.2017January weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan makes structural changes to Economy Ministry
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles upon several people on Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis
- 28.12.2017Relocation from Sovetsky to continue in January 2018
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijan detains Indian citizens accused of aiding illegal migration
- 27.12.2017Street in Tbilisi named after prominent Azerbaijani Rashid Behbudov
- 27.12.2017Tbilisi streets named after prominent Azerbaijanis: Many of these names exist on map only
- 13.03.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial postponed
- 13.03.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Aghdash
- 13.03.2017Dust storm from Arabian Desert hits Baku
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan announce dates of entrance exams for master’s degree
- 10.03.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan announces admission to masters degree