Azerbaijani parliament to discuss bill prohibiting smoking in public places
A bill prohibiting smoking in public places in Azerbaijan was discussed Friday at a joint meeting of the parliament’s Labor and Social Policy Committee and Human Rights Committee.
Adil Valiyev, head of the Sector on Labor Legislation in the Social Legislation Department of the Administration of the Azerbaijan Parliament, gave information about the bill, APA reported.
According to him, the bill, consisting of three chapters and 18 articles, defines the legal bases for the protection of the population’s health, promotion of healthy lifestyle, healthy growth and development of children and young people, prevention of addiction to bad habits, tobacco use and reduction of the harmful effects of tobacco smoke on the environment.
The bill prohibits smoking at healthcare facilities, scientific and educational institutions, museums, libraries, cinemas, theaters, circus buildings, exhibition halls, sport venues, concerts halls, shopping, housing and social service facilities, all types of public catering facilities except for areas specially designated for smoking, residential buildings and other indoor places for public use, elevators of multi-storey buildings, office buildings, personal offices except for areas specially designated for smoking, air and sea ports, administrative buildings, railway stations, bus terminals except for areas specially designated for smoking at bus stops, as well as in playgrounds, beaches, petrol stations and other places.
The bill further restricts the use of tobacco products in educational institutions, as well as in their territories, in healthcare, rehabilitation facilities and sanatorium, as well as in their territories, in all enterprises, institutions and organizations, workplaces, halls where sports competitions are held, public catering places, restaurants, cafes and bars (except for outdoor facilities), commercial and housing facilities, hotels and other places.
The bill also prohibits the sale of tobacco, tobacco advertising and its promotion. Furthermore, television and radio broadcasters should air a program on negative effects of tobacco use and other bad health habits, as well as allocate not less than 90 minutes of airtime for these programs per month.
Those who violate the law will be brought to responsibility in accordance with the Civil Code, Criminal Code and Code of Administrative Offences.
The bill was recommended for a discussion at the upcoming parliament’s plenary session.
Related news releases
- 29.03.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues
- 29.03.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official rescheduled to April 5
- 29.03.2017Deadline for document submission to master’s degree and residency in Azerbaijan expires
- 28.03.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials proceeds - UPDATED
- 28.03.2017Ali Insanov’s criminal case submitted to court
- 28.03.2017Criminal case against Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official terminated - EXCLUSIVE
- 28.03.2017Historical facts uncovered about Armenian plagiarism
- 28.03.2017Preliminary investigation into case of former MNS general and others concludes
- 28.03.2017Azerbaijani Health Ministry to establish organizing committee for 4th Islamic Solidarity Games
- 28.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of orphanage-kindergarten in Saatli
- 27.03.2017Court denies Akif Chovdarov’s petition - UPDATED
- 25.03.2017Dry weather predicted for March 26
- 24.03.2017Temperature to reach 18 C in Azerbaijan tomorrow
- 23.03.2017Changeable cloudy and dry weather predicted in Baku
- 22.03.2017Changeable cloudy weather to prevail in Baku
- 20.03.2017Azercell supports international event in Baku
- 20.03.2017Spring comes to Azerbaijan
- 18.03.2017Commission for the Regulation and Coordination of Labor Relations established in Azerbaijan
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani court pronounces verdict against former navy chief
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan to apply writing tasks for college admission for first time
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani Emergencies Ministry to work on enhanced mode during holiday
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan completes execution of president’s pardon order
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan extends deadline for document admission to master’s degree and residency
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani MP’s nephew charged with swindle released in courtroom
- 17.03.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Aghdash
- 17.03.2017Albanian president awarded title of honorary doctor of Azerbaijan University of Languages
- 17.03.201714 female inmates pardoned Azerbaijan's president
- 17.03.2017Pardon order: 40 inmates released from Correctional Facility No. 13
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan starts execution of presidential order on pardon
- 16.03.2017Rector appointed to Baku Engineering University
- 16.03.2017Number of Azerbaijani population announced
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani MES: Project for 1st micro-district to cover more areas in case it proves successful
- 15.03.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official
- 14.03.2017Two-time European karate champion standing trial on drug charges
- 14.03.2017Dust clouds over Turkmenistan to hit Azerbaijan
- 14.03.2017Hearing in case of former MNS generals postponed
- 14.03.2017Supreme Court considers IBA ex-chairman’s appeal
- 14.03.2017Azerbaijani court rejects appeal of former OMON members
- 14.03.2017Azerbaijan celebrates Last Tuesday of Novruz Holiday
- 13.03.2017Alexander Lapshin meets lawyer
- 13.03.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial postponed
- 13.03.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Aghdash
- 13.03.2017Dust storm from Arabian Desert hits Baku
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan announce dates of entrance exams for master’s degree
- 10.03.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan announces admission to masters degree