Azerbaijani parliament approves draft law restricting scope of legal representatives’ activities
The Azerbaijani Parliament on Tuesday discussed draft amendments proposed to be made to the Code of Civil Procedure, the Administrative Procedure Code, as well as the Law “On advocates and advocacy”.
The same amendment to all the three documents is aimed at restricting activities of the institution of legal representation in courts, APA reported.
Ali Huseynli, chairman of Azerbaijani Parliament’s Committee on Legal Policy and State Building, said the purpose is to make court work more efficient, noting that individuals’ participation as legal representatives have been abolished in light of European experience.
The revised document allows a close relative of an individual to participate in trials as a legal representative. In this regard, amendments are made to Article 69.1-1 which was proposed as an annex to the Code of Civil Procedure.
Another amendment is that articles 1.4 and 1.6 of the Law “On advocates and advocacy” do not apply to people who appear as representatives in court until the case is settled by relevant instance courts.
The amendments will take effect on 1 December 2017.
It is noteworthy that the Chairman of the Supreme Court on October 6 proposed making amendments to be made to the Law “On advocates and advocacy”, as well as to the Code of Civil Procedure and the Administrative Procedure Code. The draft amendments ban the participation of representatives in civil and administrative hearings. Only members of the Bar Association will be allowed to take part in trials.
The draft amendment was put to the vote and approved.
Related news releases
- 18.11.2017Fatal traffic accident kills 1 police, injures another in Azerbaijan
- 18.11.2017Changeable cloudy weather to prevail in Baku
- 18.11.2017Landslide activity observed in Baku’s Zigh settlement
- 17.11.2017Another quake hits Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017Private and municipal vocational education institutions to be established in Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017ANAS: Land plots, scientific facilities seized over last 5 years returned
- 16.11.2017Kamaladdin Heydarov meets Moldovan interior minister
- 16.11.2017U.S. ambassador to Azerbaijan visits ABAD trade & exhibition center
- 16.11.2017APA celebrates 13th anniversary - PHOTOSESSION
- 16.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan known in world as sporting nation
- 16.11.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates newly-built school in Masazir
- 16.11.2017ANAS: Yesterday’s quake in Azerbaijan had nothing to do with recent quake in Iran
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan establishes organizing committee for Baku BMX World Championships 2018
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan to mark 110th jubilee of academician Ashraf Huseynov
- 15.11.2017U.S. ambassador visits Salyan American Corner
- 15.11.2017Deloitte Azerbaijan introduces new publication - ®
- 15.11.2017Compulsory health insurance can be applied throughout Azerbaijan in 2018 – deputy minister
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan developing state program to repatriate its citizens in Iraq, Syria
- 15.11.2017Deputy Minister reacts to US State Department advising its citizens not to undergo surgery in Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Baku State University’s 100th anniversary to be marked at state level
- 14.11.2017London, a city where you can see Sun, rain and Queen at the same time
- 14.11.2017EBU says Karabakh separatists’ flag to be prevented from being raised at 2017 Junior Eurovision
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani police warn drivers over use of darks films, blinds on car windows
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijan’s Consulate General commemorates Holocaust in Los Angeles
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijan International Environmental Exhibition kicks off
- 13.11.2017New staff of State Language Commission approved
- 13.11.2017Javid Gurbanov awarded title of “Honored Engineer”
- 13.11.2017Sports Palace to be built in Ganja city
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijani delegation led by Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov attends Dubai Airshow 2017
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Talks on creation of production units in prisons bring no results
- 13.11.2017ANAS: Strong earthquake on Iran-Iraq border unlikely to affect Azerbaijan
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijani president: Unsettled issues will be resolved in coming years
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of culture and recreation park named after Aziz Aliyev in Ganja
- 10.11.2017Newly-built dormitory of Azerbaijan State Agrarian University inaugurated
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev views secondary school in Ganja after major overhaul
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev views Ganja Mall
- 10.11.2017ICRC visits about 1,300 women and children of 20 nationalities in Iraq
- 08.11.2017Manufacture of 6 new UAVs launched in ANAS High Tech Park
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijan to use new mechanism for increase of pensions
- 01.11.2017Azerbaijani people’s artist Rafig Huseynov to be buried in 2nd Alley of Honor in Baku
- 01.11.2017Definitive biography of Heydar Aliyev launched in UK Parliament
- 01.11.2017Preliminary investigation into case of Afghan Mukhtarli and Gozal Bayramli concluded
- 31.10.2017November weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 31.10.2017The 1st General Assembly of the “Armenia - Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform” held in Tbilisi
- 30.10.2017Drivers may be exempt from criminal liability in Azerbaijan for causing serious bodily harm