Azerbaijani human rights defenders welcome presidential order on improvement of penitentiary service
The order recently singed by Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev on the improvement of penitentiary service, humanization of penalty policy and expansion of the application of measures of alternative penalty and procedural compulsion not linked with isolation from society is a positive step forward, Saida Gojamanli, head of the Bureau of human rights and protection of the rule of law, told APA on Tuesday.
Gojamanli noted that the execution of the order would lead to a significant drop in the occupancy level of prisons and thus public expenses in this area will also decrease.
Another thing, according to the human rights defender, is that the punishment will not be severer, which is a humane approach.
“That is to say, alternative legal penalties will be preferred instead. These include house arrest, fine, community service, and correctional services. This will have a positive impact on the general atmosphere in society,” she said.
She noted that human rights defenders welcome this move and it can’t be otherwise.
“We have long been waiting for the signing of such an order. This step has already been taken. The next stage has to do with the preparation of bills relating to the order. The problems will be solved step by step. It only takes time and the desire,” Gojamanli added.
Novella Jafaroglu, chairperson of the Society for Protection of Women Rights named after Dilara Aliyeva, also highly appreciated the presidential order.
She called the order a new stage of legal reforms in criminal prosecution and execution of sentences.
Jafaroglu noted that a Probation Service of the Ministry of Justice will be created according to the order.
“The main objective of the Service is arrangement of effective control over the execution of sentences which are not related to isolation from society, and increase of the efficiency of management in this area,” she said. “Latin translation of the term “probation” is test, trial and this concept is used in law theory in the sense of release of a person instead of observing certain conditions. A probation institute is an important component of criminal justice system in most Western countries, Sweden, USA, Finland, Latvia, Great Britain, Denmark, Estonia and other countries.”
Jafaroglu went on to say that the current situation will change in case that the laws and legal acts specified in the order are adopted, and law-enforcement and judicial authorities act in accordance with the order.
“As a result of fulfillment of the order, many prisoners can be freed. Prisoners with one or two-year unserved sentence will be involved in public work and the economic burden of the state will decrease”, she said.
Related news releases
- 16.12.2017Azerbaijan defines procedure for accrediting scientific institutions
- 15.12.2017Honorary titles conferred on MES employees
- 15.12.2017Court denies Mehman Huseynov’s appeal
- 15.12.2017Trial continues in case of Giyas Ibrahimov and his father
- 15.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves amendments to Election Code
- 15.12.2017Director of Azerbaijani TV channel jailed for 6 years
- 15.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev views overhauled Ludwigshafen Park in Sumgayit
- 15.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev views "Kimyachi" Culture Palace in Sumgayit after major overhaul
- 15.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Flag Museum in Sumgayit
- 15.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Important steps being taken in Azerbaijan to attract youth to science
- 14.12.2017State Program on Development of Inclusive Education for People with Disabilities approved
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry holds board meeting on its 12th anniversary
- 14.12.2017Winners of “Emergency Situations Through The Eyes of Children” competition awarded
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijan prohibits changing of specialty in master’s degree
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijan developing concept of cadaveric organ transplantation
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijan specifies conditions in which students will get academic vacation
- 12.12.2017Abbas Alasgarov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 11.12.2017Traffic to be restricted in some streets and avenues of Baku on Dec. 12
- 08.12.2017Tariff Council approves prices of more than 300 registered medicines
- 08.12.2017Book titled “Splendor and Misery of Leyla Yunus” presented
- 08.12.2017Anar Baghirov: Bar Association was partly responsible for delay in lawyer admissions
- 07.12.2017Criminal elements detected in activities of 23 municipalities
- 07.12.2017Several human rights defenders appeal to President Ilham Aliyev
- 07.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Another 10 carpet weaving factories to open in Azerbaijan next year
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan specifies non-working days for next year's holidays
- 07.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: "ASAN Service" is most effective tool against corruption, bribery
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Flag Museum in Guba
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates ‘ASAN heyat’ complex in Guba
- 07.12.2017New chairman of Azerbaijan’s Bar Association elected
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends ground breaking ceremony of highway to be built on Azerbaijan-Russia state border
- 06.12.2017Citizens of OIC countries to get grants for education in Azerbaijan
- 06.12.2017Javanshir Gurbanov awarded Order ‘For Service to the Motherland’
- 06.12.2017About 80 percent of Azerbaijani citizens optimistic about the country's future
- 05.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards workers of communication and high-tech sector
- 05.12.2017Number of Nakhchivan’s population publicized
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan postpones election of new ombudsperson
- 04.12.2017Baku’s population nears 2.6 million
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan Business Case Competition 2017 wraps up
- 02.12.2017Weather forecast for tomorrow
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan increases duties on reissue of lost and deteriorated international passports and ID cards
- 15.02.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 15.02.2017Weather to deteriorate in Azerbaijan, snowfall predicted
- 15.02.2017Liquidation commission for Qafqaz University completes its work
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani SEC sets dates for final exams for ninth graders
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijan: Utility costs of IDPs settled in dormitories, boarding houses to be paid by state
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani SEC develops new rules for civil service recruitment