Azerbaijani human rights defenders welcome presidential order on improvement of penitentiary service
The order recently singed by Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev on the improvement of penitentiary service, humanization of penalty policy and expansion of the application of measures of alternative penalty and procedural compulsion not linked with isolation from society is a positive step forward, Saida Gojamanli, head of the Bureau of human rights and protection of the rule of law, told APA on Tuesday.
Gojamanli noted that the execution of the order would lead to a significant drop in the occupancy level of prisons and thus public expenses in this area will also decrease.
Another thing, according to the human rights defender, is that the punishment will not be severer, which is a humane approach.
“That is to say, alternative legal penalties will be preferred instead. These include house arrest, fine, community service, and correctional services. This will have a positive impact on the general atmosphere in society,” she said.
She noted that human rights defenders welcome this move and it can’t be otherwise.
“We have long been waiting for the signing of such an order. This step has already been taken. The next stage has to do with the preparation of bills relating to the order. The problems will be solved step by step. It only takes time and the desire,” Gojamanli added.
Novella Jafaroglu, chairperson of the Society for Protection of Women Rights named after Dilara Aliyeva, also highly appreciated the presidential order.
She called the order a new stage of legal reforms in criminal prosecution and execution of sentences.
Jafaroglu noted that a Probation Service of the Ministry of Justice will be created according to the order.
“The main objective of the Service is arrangement of effective control over the execution of sentences which are not related to isolation from society, and increase of the efficiency of management in this area,” she said. “Latin translation of the term “probation” is test, trial and this concept is used in law theory in the sense of release of a person instead of observing certain conditions. A probation institute is an important component of criminal justice system in most Western countries, Sweden, USA, Finland, Latvia, Great Britain, Denmark, Estonia and other countries.”
Jafaroglu went on to say that the current situation will change in case that the laws and legal acts specified in the order are adopted, and law-enforcement and judicial authorities act in accordance with the order.
“As a result of fulfillment of the order, many prisoners can be freed. Prisoners with one or two-year unserved sentence will be involved in public work and the economic burden of the state will decrease”, she said.
Related news releases
- 23.08.2017Azerbaijani president amends order on increasing workload and salary of teachers who passed diagnostic assessment
- 23.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new block of secondary school in Baku
- 22.08.2017Global Young Leaders Forum underway in Baku
- 22.08.2017Total solar eclipse occurs
- 21.08.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Sabirabad
- 21.08.2017Next stage of construction work in Jojug Marjanli to be completed within month
- 20.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev opened Shamkir branch of “Azerkhalcha” OJSC
- 20.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurated Heydar Aliyev Center in Gadabay
- 19.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev views conditions created at Galaba Park in Goygol
- 19.08.2017AZN 11.8M allocated for reconstruction of water supply and sewerage systems in Azerbaijan’s Salyan
- 16.08.2017Prosecutor seeks 15 years for Akif Chovdarov - UPDATED
- 14.08.2017Baku to host Global Young Leaders Forum
- 14.08.20172,650 Azerbaijani citizens study in Georgia
- 14.08.2017Ghulam Isaczai: Azerbaijani young people are energetic, innovative and inspirational
- 12.08.2017Azerbaijan announces university placement results
- 09.08.2017Iran building hospitals near border with Azerbaijan
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijan declares 4 days off for Eid al-Adha
- 07.08.2017Interior Ministry and Prosecutor’s Office issue joint statement on traffic accident caused by ‘Gelandewagen’
- 07.08.2017Prosecutor seeks penalty for woman for falsely presenting herself as MNS officials
- 05.08.2017Temperature to be 38C in Baku, 40C in regions tomorrow
- 04.08.2017President: Level of unemployment and poverty to reduce more
- 04.08.2017Argument erupts during trial of former MNS general
- 03.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev launches new electrical substation in Gakh
- 03.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of 180-seat orphanage-kindergarten in Gakh
- 03.08.2017Flag Museum opened in Gakh
- 03.08.2017Azerbaijani President arrives in Zagatala
- 03.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of ABAD Center in Balakan
- 03.08.2017Flag Museum opens in Balakan
- 02.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary title on 20 January martyr
- 02.08.2017Ministry of Emergency Situations call on the public to abide by safety regulations on beaches
- 02.08.2017Azerbaijani President attends opening of Pirshagi-Novkhani and Binagadi-Novkhani-Corat highways
- 01.08.2017Baku Higher Oil School students undertake internship at BP
- 31.07.2017Zakir Garalov: Imprisoned MNS officials’ properties worth AZN 56mln under arrest
- 31.07.2017UNEC Business School graduates get global job opportunities
- 31.07.2017Solar eclipse to occur next month
- 29.07.2017Applicants for journalism specialty takes aptitude test
- 28.07.2017Interior Minister of Nakhchivan AR dismissed
- 28.07.2017Program Manager from Massachusetts Institute of Technology visits Baku Higher Oil School
- 28.07.2017Azerbaijan publicizes number of people bitten by snakes in July
- 28.07.2017Prosecutor seeks 5-year sentence for ex-official of liquidated ministry
- 15.02.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 15.02.2017Weather to deteriorate in Azerbaijan, snowfall predicted
- 15.02.2017Liquidation commission for Qafqaz University completes its work
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani SEC sets dates for final exams for ninth graders
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijan: Utility costs of IDPs settled in dormitories, boarding houses to be paid by state
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani SEC develops new rules for civil service recruitment