Azerbaijani human rights defenders welcome presidential order on improvement of penitentiary service
The order recently singed by Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev on the improvement of penitentiary service, humanization of penalty policy and expansion of the application of measures of alternative penalty and procedural compulsion not linked with isolation from society is a positive step forward, Saida Gojamanli, head of the Bureau of human rights and protection of the rule of law, told APA on Tuesday.
Gojamanli noted that the execution of the order would lead to a significant drop in the occupancy level of prisons and thus public expenses in this area will also decrease.
Another thing, according to the human rights defender, is that the punishment will not be severer, which is a humane approach.
“That is to say, alternative legal penalties will be preferred instead. These include house arrest, fine, community service, and correctional services. This will have a positive impact on the general atmosphere in society,” she said.
She noted that human rights defenders welcome this move and it can’t be otherwise.
“We have long been waiting for the signing of such an order. This step has already been taken. The next stage has to do with the preparation of bills relating to the order. The problems will be solved step by step. It only takes time and the desire,” Gojamanli added.
Novella Jafaroglu, chairperson of the Society for Protection of Women Rights named after Dilara Aliyeva, also highly appreciated the presidential order.
She called the order a new stage of legal reforms in criminal prosecution and execution of sentences.
Jafaroglu noted that a Probation Service of the Ministry of Justice will be created according to the order.
“The main objective of the Service is arrangement of effective control over the execution of sentences which are not related to isolation from society, and increase of the efficiency of management in this area,” she said. “Latin translation of the term “probation” is test, trial and this concept is used in law theory in the sense of release of a person instead of observing certain conditions. A probation institute is an important component of criminal justice system in most Western countries, Sweden, USA, Finland, Latvia, Great Britain, Denmark, Estonia and other countries.”
Jafaroglu went on to say that the current situation will change in case that the laws and legal acts specified in the order are adopted, and law-enforcement and judicial authorities act in accordance with the order.
“As a result of fulfillment of the order, many prisoners can be freed. Prisoners with one or two-year unserved sentence will be involved in public work and the economic burden of the state will decrease”, she said.
Related news releases
- 23.03.2017Changeable cloudy and dry weather predicted in Baku
- 22.03.2017Changeable cloudy weather to prevail in Baku
- 20.03.2017Azercell supports international event in Baku
- 20.03.2017Spring comes to Azerbaijan
- 18.03.2017Commission for the Regulation and Coordination of Labor Relations established in Azerbaijan
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani court pronounces verdict against former navy chief
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan to apply writing tasks for college admission for first time
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani Emergencies Ministry to work on enhanced mode during holiday
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan completes execution of president’s pardon order
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan extends deadline for document admission to master’s degree and residency
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani MP’s nephew charged with swindle released in courtroom
- 17.03.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Aghdash
- 17.03.2017Albanian president awarded title of honorary doctor of Azerbaijan University of Languages
- 17.03.201714 female inmates pardoned Azerbaijan's president
- 17.03.2017Pardon order: 40 inmates released from Correctional Facility No. 13
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan starts execution of presidential order on pardon
- 16.03.2017Rector appointed to Baku Engineering University
- 16.03.2017Number of Azerbaijani population announced
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani MES: Project for 1st micro-district to cover more areas in case it proves successful
- 15.03.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official
- 14.03.2017Two-time European karate champion standing trial on drug charges
- 14.03.2017Dust clouds over Turkmenistan to hit Azerbaijan
- 14.03.2017Hearing in case of former MNS generals postponed
- 14.03.2017Supreme Court considers IBA ex-chairman’s appeal
- 14.03.2017Azerbaijani court rejects appeal of former OMON members
- 14.03.2017Azerbaijan celebrates Last Tuesday of Novruz Holiday
- 13.03.2017Alexander Lapshin meets lawyer
- 13.03.2017Dust storm from Arabian Desert hits Baku
- 13.03.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Aghdash
- 13.03.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial postponed
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss bill prohibiting smoking in public places
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan announce dates of entrance exams for master’s degree
- 10.03.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan announces admission to masters degree
- 09.03.2017Former MNS employees plead not guilty - UPDATED
- 09.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: Main goal is to provide 4,000 IDP families with apartments in Baku and Sumgayit
- 09.03.2017US ambassador begins trip to Azerbaijan’s southern region
- 08.03.2017Today marks International Women’s Day
- 07.03.2017Polluted environments kill 1.7 million children each year: WHO
- 06.03.2017Tariff Council determines exam entry fees - LIST
- 15.02.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 15.02.2017Weather to deteriorate in Azerbaijan, snowfall predicted
- 15.02.2017Liquidation commission for Qafqaz University completes its work
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani SEC sets dates for final exams for ninth graders
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijan: Utility costs of IDPs settled in dormitories, boarding houses to be paid by state
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani SEC develops new rules for civil service recruitment