Azerbaijani human rights defenders welcome presidential order on improvement of penitentiary service
The order recently singed by Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev on the improvement of penitentiary service, humanization of penalty policy and expansion of the application of measures of alternative penalty and procedural compulsion not linked with isolation from society is a positive step forward, Saida Gojamanli, head of the Bureau of human rights and protection of the rule of law, told APA on Tuesday.
Gojamanli noted that the execution of the order would lead to a significant drop in the occupancy level of prisons and thus public expenses in this area will also decrease.
Another thing, according to the human rights defender, is that the punishment will not be severer, which is a humane approach.
“That is to say, alternative legal penalties will be preferred instead. These include house arrest, fine, community service, and correctional services. This will have a positive impact on the general atmosphere in society,” she said.
She noted that human rights defenders welcome this move and it can’t be otherwise.
“We have long been waiting for the signing of such an order. This step has already been taken. The next stage has to do with the preparation of bills relating to the order. The problems will be solved step by step. It only takes time and the desire,” Gojamanli added.
Novella Jafaroglu, chairperson of the Society for Protection of Women Rights named after Dilara Aliyeva, also highly appreciated the presidential order.
She called the order a new stage of legal reforms in criminal prosecution and execution of sentences.
Jafaroglu noted that a Probation Service of the Ministry of Justice will be created according to the order.
“The main objective of the Service is arrangement of effective control over the execution of sentences which are not related to isolation from society, and increase of the efficiency of management in this area,” she said. “Latin translation of the term “probation” is test, trial and this concept is used in law theory in the sense of release of a person instead of observing certain conditions. A probation institute is an important component of criminal justice system in most Western countries, Sweden, USA, Finland, Latvia, Great Britain, Denmark, Estonia and other countries.”
Jafaroglu went on to say that the current situation will change in case that the laws and legal acts specified in the order are adopted, and law-enforcement and judicial authorities act in accordance with the order.
“As a result of fulfillment of the order, many prisoners can be freed. Prisoners with one or two-year unserved sentence will be involved in public work and the economic burden of the state will decrease”, she said.
Related news releases
- 28.06.2017Quake hits Azerbaijan
- 28.06.2017Facebook hits two billion users
- 26.06.2017Baku’s central streets to reopen for full public use this evening as F-1 race comes to a close
- 23.06.2017Team that always plays ‘away’: story of Garabagh FC comes to Stamford Bridge
- 23.06.2017Moldovan president visits Formula 1 Paddock
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan Education Ministry: Public legal entity status will open up new opportunities for development of higher education
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan to have five non-working days on Eid al-Fitr
- 23.06.2017Final exams for IX-XI graders starts in Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017Former Azerbaijani health minister gets his appeal denied by court
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on telecommunications
- 22.06.2017Preliminary hearing held for Alexander Lapshin - UPDATED
- 21.06.2017Two Universities in Azerbaijan to get public legal entity status
- 21.06.2017Sayyaf Ismayilov awarded “Honored Civil Servant” title
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijani president signs order on granting young talents a special stipend
- 21.06.2017Justice Ministry comments on lawyers’ statement about Akif Chovdarov’s health
- 21.06.2017Justice Ministry: Doctors are closely following Lapshin’s health condition
- 21.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of Narimanov District Court
- 20.06.2017US Embassy celebrates opening of Ganja American Corner
- 20.06.2017Court rejects Afgan Mukhtarli’s petition
- 20.06.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Jalilabad
- 20.06.2017ADA University hosts event to mark World Refugee Day
- 19.06.2017Ex-ministry official Vidadi Zeynalov again partially reimburses damage caused to state
- 19.06.2017Entrance to part of Baku Seaside National Park to be closed from June 20 to 26
- 19.06.2017Traffic restricted in Baku’s central streets due to F1 Grand Prix
- 19.06.2017War, violence, persecution push displacement to new unprecedented high: UNHCR report
- 19.06.2017US ambassador visits Ganja
- 17.06.2017Traffic police address drivers in connection with Formula 1
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan University of Languages to get public legal entity status
- 16.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on healthcare workers
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan allocates two hospitals for F1 Grand Prix
- 16.06.2017Number of official unemployed population announced
- 16.06.20174-magnitude earthquake hits Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 16.06.2017Number of Azerbaijan population increases 0.3%
- 16.06.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Jalilabad
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan restricts entry of 264 foreigners in May
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan: Military service problems of male students with 1-2 unpaid academic debts to be solved
- 15.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended memorial event for outstanding scientist, academician Rafiga Aliyeva
- 14.06.2017European Union celebrates the launch of its media projects and congratulates winners of its competitions
- 14.06.2017Jojug Marjanli resident awarded “Labor” Order
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijan’s deputy PM: Mandatory medical insurance fees should be acceptable to citizens
- 15.02.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 15.02.2017Weather to deteriorate in Azerbaijan, snowfall predicted
- 15.02.2017Liquidation commission for Qafqaz University completes its work
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani SEC sets dates for final exams for ninth graders
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijan: Utility costs of IDPs settled in dormitories, boarding houses to be paid by state
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani SEC develops new rules for civil service recruitment