Azerbaijani human rights defenders welcome presidential order on improvement of penitentiary service
The order recently singed by Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev on the improvement of penitentiary service, humanization of penalty policy and expansion of the application of measures of alternative penalty and procedural compulsion not linked with isolation from society is a positive step forward, Saida Gojamanli, head of the Bureau of human rights and protection of the rule of law, told APA on Tuesday.
Gojamanli noted that the execution of the order would lead to a significant drop in the occupancy level of prisons and thus public expenses in this area will also decrease.
Another thing, according to the human rights defender, is that the punishment will not be severer, which is a humane approach.
“That is to say, alternative legal penalties will be preferred instead. These include house arrest, fine, community service, and correctional services. This will have a positive impact on the general atmosphere in society,” she said.
She noted that human rights defenders welcome this move and it can’t be otherwise.
“We have long been waiting for the signing of such an order. This step has already been taken. The next stage has to do with the preparation of bills relating to the order. The problems will be solved step by step. It only takes time and the desire,” Gojamanli added.
Novella Jafaroglu, chairperson of the Society for Protection of Women Rights named after Dilara Aliyeva, also highly appreciated the presidential order.
She called the order a new stage of legal reforms in criminal prosecution and execution of sentences.
Jafaroglu noted that a Probation Service of the Ministry of Justice will be created according to the order.
“The main objective of the Service is arrangement of effective control over the execution of sentences which are not related to isolation from society, and increase of the efficiency of management in this area,” she said. “Latin translation of the term “probation” is test, trial and this concept is used in law theory in the sense of release of a person instead of observing certain conditions. A probation institute is an important component of criminal justice system in most Western countries, Sweden, USA, Finland, Latvia, Great Britain, Denmark, Estonia and other countries.”
Jafaroglu went on to say that the current situation will change in case that the laws and legal acts specified in the order are adopted, and law-enforcement and judicial authorities act in accordance with the order.
“As a result of fulfillment of the order, many prisoners can be freed. Prisoners with one or two-year unserved sentence will be involved in public work and the economic burden of the state will decrease”, she said.
Related news releases
- 18.10.2017Spectators to be provided with buses following Qarabag-Atletico Madrid football match
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan registers 390 HIV-positive people in 2017
- 18.10.2017Documentary “Objective Baku: How Hitler Lost the Battle for Oil” screened in London
- 18.10.2017Increase in male victims of human trafficking, IOM says
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan considers amendment to Criminal Code regarding postponement of sentence for some prisoners
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan defines upper and lowers limits of new penalty for juvenile delinquency
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan’s trade representatives abroad to be paid in amount of 90 percent of ambassador’s salary
- 16.10.2017Interior Minister: Situation with sexual minorities in Azerbaijan no different from that in most European states
- 16.10.2017ANAS proposes businesses undertake to finance development of science in country
- 13.10.2017"IMAGINE" Euro Tolerance Festival 2017 kicks off in Baku
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijan set to abrogate imprisonment for illegal trafficking of medications
- 13.10.2017ANAS says statement by Institute of History on map crisis does not reflect its position
- 13.10.2017U.S., Azerbaijan improve irrigation in Saatli
- 13.10.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 13.10.20174-year-old Azerbaijani child rescued from ISIL in Iraq brought home
- 12.10.2017ANAS Institute of History issues statement on map crisis
- 12.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards railway workers
- 11.10.2017New generation vaccine developed against malaria: Azerbaijani scientist
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijan develops life expectancy map
- 10.10.2017Premarital examination: 240 diagnosed with thalassemia, 7 with AIDS in Azerbaijan
- 10.10.2017Strong magnetic storm to hit Earth
- 09.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Sometimes there are delays in execution of actions relating to Strategic Road Maps
- 09.10.2017Historian: ‘Greater Armenia’ map in history textbook may have been published for insidious purpose
- 09.10.2017Azerbaijan conducts serious fight against corruption, cybercrime: Deputy Prosecutor General
- 06.10.2017Project ‘Italian language week’ presented in Baku
- 06.10.2017Ambassador: From among EU countries, Italy is where most Azerbaijani students choose to pursue their study
- 06.10.2017Some Ashura blood donators found to be infected with HIV, Hepatitis, Syphilis: Health Ministry
- 06.10.2017Nobel Peace Prize 2017 awarded to International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons
- 06.10.2017Azerbaijani Press Council recommends fines for violation of literary language norms
- 06.10.2017Azerbaijan’s NTRC reveals main problems with using literary language on television and radio
- 06.10.201711th International Education Exhibition opens in Baku
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijani First Vice-President attended ceremony to give out new apartments to IDP families in Masazir
- 05.10.2017First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva visits new building for IDP families
- 05.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for school construction in Lahij
- 04.10.2017Minister Kamaleddin Heydarov meets with CEO of Italian Leonardo company
- 04.10.2017Men also among victims of domestic violence in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 04.10.2017Euronews presents report about Azerbaijan's Lahij city - VIDEO
- 03.10.2017Int’l experience shows risk of sexually transmitted diseases is higher, sociologist says
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijan’s ex-health minister appeals to Supreme Court chairman
- 03.10.2017Kamal Abdullayev granted Azerbaijani president’s personal stipend
- 15.02.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 15.02.2017Weather to deteriorate in Azerbaijan, snowfall predicted
- 15.02.2017Liquidation commission for Qafqaz University completes its work
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani SEC sets dates for final exams for ninth graders
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijan: Utility costs of IDPs settled in dormitories, boarding houses to be paid by state
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani SEC develops new rules for civil service recruitment