Azerbaijani gov’t to provide financial support to research universities
With the approval of the law on science in Azerbaijan, the creation of research universities has been added to the legislation, and universities that are granted this status will receive financial support from the government, said Education Minister Mikayil Jabbarov.
Such universities are intended to conduct fundamental research, and also to provide technology-based scientific areas with staff and information, the minister said addressing the 21st republic-wide scientific conference of doctoral students and young researchers in Baku on Tuesday, APA reported.
As regards organizing the work of research, the minister said this is becoming a decisive factor in university rivalry that is steadily on the rise. Jabbarov added that research has 20 percent share in the international criteria used for ranking universities.
The minister also touched upon the problem with the current level of education on a master’s and doctoral degree.
“Today, the training of scientific personnel in higher educational institutions is not carried out at public expense, but at the expense of the universities themselves. This approach creates a basis for some of the recent negative cases and does not fully reflect the state policy priorities,” he said.
The minister recalled that the presidential decree (2016) that grant master’s degree students the right to defer from the conscription to active military service was welcomed by scientists and educators.
He pointed out that ensuring the continuity of higher education is of great importance in terms of stimulating the scientific activities of young people, maintaining a gender balance in higher education institutions and scientific institutions.
“There are already positive results. The number of boys admitted to magistracy for the 2017-2018 academic year rose from 1,393 to 2771, or 74 percent in comparison to the previous year. In general, the number of applicants for magistracy this year decreased by 46 percent compared to the previous year, while the number of admissions increased by 36 percent. This fact indicates the higher level of quality of admission to magistracy. In other words, bachelors who have higher knowledge and skills apply to the magistracy,” added the minister.
Related news releases
- 19.06.2018Temperature to be 31C in Baku, 36C in regions tomorrow
- 18.06.2018Weather forecast for June 19
- 16.06.2018“Mübarizlər” contest kicks off in Baku
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani MES hosts meeting with U.S. Oklahoma National Guard delegation
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan calculating compulsory health insurance fees
- 14.06.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani citizens to have 5 consecutive non-working days to mark Eid al-Fitr and National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani schools celebrate Day of Farewell Bell
- 13.06.2018Baku's bid to host World Expo 2025 presented at BIE
- 13.06.2018Human rights activist meets daycare worker detained for child maltreatment
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament passes bill on protecting children from harmful information
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan Education Ministry reveals number of transfers students in 2018
- 12.06.2018Over 140,000 educators undergo diagnostic assessment in Azerbaijan over past four years
- 12.06.2018225 Azerbaijani citizens qualified for study abroad in academic year 2017-18 academic year
- 12.06.2018ATDC accredited as Cambridge Professional Development Centre
- 11.06.2018Leyla Novruzova, who was promoted to BP's London office: I’m not very good in planning my career - INTERVIEW
- 08.06.2018Libraff bookstore opens in Baku
- 08.06.2018Weekend weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani representative elected member of UN Committee on Elimination of Discrimination against Women
- 08.06.2018Akif Alizadeh re-elected president of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences - UPDATED
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan has region’s most secure data center, minister says
- 08.06.2018Many products brought to Azerbaijan in plastic containers – ministry
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Migration Service launches new e-service for foreigners, stateless persons
- 08.06.2018Specialty selection for master's degree starts in Azerbaijan
- 08.06.2018New president of ANAS to be elected today
- 06.06.2018Strong, destructive earthquake not expected in Azerbaijan – top seismologist
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Bar Association rejects rumors on alleged bias towards lawyers with opposition views
- 06.06.2018Inauguration of new lawyers held in Azerbaijan
- 06.06.2018No causalities reported after quake in Azerbaijan’s Zagatala: Health Ministry
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani setting up electronic system for assessment of judicial activity
- 06.06.2018Aftershocks likely to continue after strong earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Zagatala – Seismic Survey Center
- 05.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: Development of Azerbaijan’s healthcare system remains center of attention
- 05.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Naftalan City Central Hospital
- 04.06.2018Azerbaijani MES leadership visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev and Alley of Martyrs in Baku
- 04.06.2018Academy of Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry marks 10th anniversary
- 04.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Emergency Situations, Int’l Civil Defense Organization sign document on information exchange
- 02.06.2018EuroVillage 2018 opens in Baku
- 01.06.2018Governor: Georgian citizens injured in bus accident in Azerbaijan are in stable condition
- 01.06.2018UK Embassy in Baku holds forum on harmful effects of plastic products
- 01.06.2018Two Azerbaijani children adopted by Iranian and Turkish citizens this year
- 24.10.2017Azerbaijan’s minister of emergency situations meets with UN resident coordinator
- 24.10.2017Iraq in talks with Azerbaijan over fate of remaining children – diplomat
- 25.10.2017Azerbaijan SEC approves calendar plan for final exams for 2017/2018 school year
- 24.10.20172,010 residential, non-residential buildings around Teze Pir mosque in Baku to be demolished
- 23.10.2017Strong geomagnetic storm expected to begin tomorrow
- 23.10.2017Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Shabran