Azerbaijan to extend periods of pre-trial detention and preliminary investigation
In this regard, amendments have been proposed to be made to articles 158.1, 159.7, and 218 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, the parliament told APA.
The amendment proposed for article 158.1 determines the period of pre-trial detention for pre-proceedings period of investigation 2 months of committing a grave crime, 3 months for a less grave crime, and 4 months for grave or seriously grave crimes.
According to the current law in force, at the pre-trial stage of the criminal case, when it chooses arrest as a restrictive measure, the court shall specify a remand period of up to 2 (two) months in respect of offences which do not pose a major public threat or minor offences and of up to 3 (three) months in respect of serious and very serious offences.
According to the amendment proposed to article 159.7, during the pre-trial proceedings, the period of the last remand of the person accused is extended, too.
It is proposed that the period for less grave crimes should be extended up to 6 to 7 months, 9 to 10 months for graves crimes, and 12 to 13 months for seriously grave crimes.
According to the amendment proposed for article 218.7, the time of preliminary investigation by the investigator should be extended up to 4 to 5 months for seriously grave crimes and 2 to 3 months for grave crimes.
According to the amendment proposed for article 218.10.2, the longest period for the cases already mentioned should be extended up to 9 to 10 months for less grave crimes, 12 to 13 months for grave crimes, and 18 to 19 months for seriously grave crimes.
The draft has been recommended to the parliament’s plenary meeting.
Related news releases
- 17.02.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Sunday
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan detains 26 foreigners in anti-migration op
- 16.02.2018Italian architects prepared project for Yanardagh complex construction – envoy
- 16.02.2018Baku to host Italian Design Day
- 16.02.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Saturday
- 16.02.2018Georgian education minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2018ASAN and ABAD very good Azerbaijani brands: EU envoy
- 16.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers: Families relocated from Bayil landslide area to be given rental money
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan discloses non-working days in March 2018
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani State Commission: 3,875 persons listed as missing
- 15.02.2018State Border Service detains 45 trespassers in January
- 15.02.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan prohibits holding positions of department head and dean at the same time at university
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani SEC announces interview for 165 vacant positions in 6 state bodies
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijani president signs order on additional measures for improvement of social protection of population
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijani teachers issue statement on upcoming presidential election
- 13.02.2018Number of people with disabilities in Azerbaijan announced
- 13.02.2018U.S. helps young IDPs build career skills
- 13.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers specifies date of final decision with regard to landslide area in Bayil
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani State Migration Service detains 11 foreigners
- 12.02.2018Guba Genocide Memorial Complex under reconstruction
- 12.02.2018Plan of events on 26th anniversary of Khojaly genocide approved
- 10.02.2018Four houses destoryed after landslide hits Bayil, no casualities reported
- 10.02.2018190 years pass since signing of Turkmenchay treaty
- 09.02.2018Health Ministry official proposes to allow organ trade in Azerbaijan
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijani SEC reveals results of admission examination to Collegium of Advocates
- 08.02.2018Tbilisi court sentences Azerbaijani doctor to 6 years in prison
- 08.02.2018Presentation of Expo 2025 Baku held at UN Headquarters
- 07.02.2018Azerbaijan sees increase in number of donors, amounts of donated blood
- 07.02.2018Armenians continue to destroy flora and fauna in occupied Azerbaijani lands – deputy minister
- 06.02.2018Quotas to be allocated for Azerbaijani students to study at Tajik universities
- 06.02.2018‘Arenda’ and ‘Toybəy’ among the most bizarre names chosen by parents for children
- 06.02.2018Baku awaits foggy weather
- 05.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of international and foreign trade unions - UPDATED
- 05.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: 265,000 people provided with apartments at state expense in Azerbaijan
- 05.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Trade unions should focus on protecting workers' rights
- 03.02.2018Nakhchivan declared Youth Capital of 2018
- 02.02.2018Event dedicated to Youth Day held in Buta Palace
- 02.02.2018Azerbaijani president issues order on conferring President’s Award for Youth in 2018
- 02.02.2018Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 6.87M for construction of modular-type schools in northern region
- 15.09.2014Number of Azerbaijani population made public
- 15.09.2014Mehriban Aliyeva reviews “Konul” orphanage-kindergarten in Sabail district after major overhaul
- 15.09.2014President Ilham Aliyev: No school will be left unrepaired by next year
- 15.09.2014Warning issued on forthcoming temperature change in Azerbaijan
- 15.09.2014Corruption revealed in Azerbaijan’s education system
- 15.09.2014President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of new building of school No. 124 in Baku