Azerbaijan to extend periods of pre-trial detention and preliminary investigation
In this regard, amendments have been proposed to be made to articles 158.1, 159.7, and 218 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, the parliament told APA.
The amendment proposed for article 158.1 determines the period of pre-trial detention for pre-proceedings period of investigation 2 months of committing a grave crime, 3 months for a less grave crime, and 4 months for grave or seriously grave crimes.
According to the current law in force, at the pre-trial stage of the criminal case, when it chooses arrest as a restrictive measure, the court shall specify a remand period of up to 2 (two) months in respect of offences which do not pose a major public threat or minor offences and of up to 3 (three) months in respect of serious and very serious offences.
According to the amendment proposed to article 159.7, during the pre-trial proceedings, the period of the last remand of the person accused is extended, too.
It is proposed that the period for less grave crimes should be extended up to 6 to 7 months, 9 to 10 months for graves crimes, and 12 to 13 months for seriously grave crimes.
According to the amendment proposed for article 218.7, the time of preliminary investigation by the investigator should be extended up to 4 to 5 months for seriously grave crimes and 2 to 3 months for grave crimes.
According to the amendment proposed for article 218.10.2, the longest period for the cases already mentioned should be extended up to 9 to 10 months for less grave crimes, 12 to 13 months for grave crimes, and 18 to 19 months for seriously grave crimes.
The draft has been recommended to the parliament’s plenary meeting.
Related news releases
- 18.10.2017Spectators to be provided with buses following Qarabag-Atletico Madrid football match
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan registers 390 HIV-positive people in 2017
- 18.10.2017Documentary “Objective Baku: How Hitler Lost the Battle for Oil” screened in London
- 18.10.2017Increase in male victims of human trafficking, IOM says
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan considers amendment to Criminal Code regarding postponement of sentence for some prisoners
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan defines upper and lowers limits of new penalty for juvenile delinquency
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan’s trade representatives abroad to be paid in amount of 90 percent of ambassador’s salary
- 16.10.2017Interior Minister: Situation with sexual minorities in Azerbaijan no different from that in most European states
- 16.10.2017ANAS proposes businesses undertake to finance development of science in country
- 13.10.2017"IMAGINE" Euro Tolerance Festival 2017 kicks off in Baku
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijan set to abrogate imprisonment for illegal trafficking of medications
- 13.10.2017ANAS says statement by Institute of History on map crisis does not reflect its position
- 13.10.2017U.S., Azerbaijan improve irrigation in Saatli
- 13.10.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 13.10.20174-year-old Azerbaijani child rescued from ISIL in Iraq brought home
- 12.10.2017ANAS Institute of History issues statement on map crisis
- 12.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards railway workers
- 11.10.2017New generation vaccine developed against malaria: Azerbaijani scientist
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijan develops life expectancy map
- 10.10.2017Premarital examination: 240 diagnosed with thalassemia, 7 with AIDS in Azerbaijan
- 10.10.2017Strong magnetic storm to hit Earth
- 09.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Sometimes there are delays in execution of actions relating to Strategic Road Maps
- 09.10.2017Historian: ‘Greater Armenia’ map in history textbook may have been published for insidious purpose
- 09.10.2017Azerbaijan conducts serious fight against corruption, cybercrime: Deputy Prosecutor General
- 06.10.2017Project ‘Italian language week’ presented in Baku
- 06.10.2017Ambassador: From among EU countries, Italy is where most Azerbaijani students choose to pursue their study
- 06.10.2017Some Ashura blood donators found to be infected with HIV, Hepatitis, Syphilis: Health Ministry
- 06.10.2017Nobel Peace Prize 2017 awarded to International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons
- 06.10.2017Azerbaijani Press Council recommends fines for violation of literary language norms
- 06.10.2017Azerbaijan’s NTRC reveals main problems with using literary language on television and radio
- 06.10.201711th International Education Exhibition opens in Baku
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijani First Vice-President attended ceremony to give out new apartments to IDP families in Masazir
- 05.10.2017First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva visits new building for IDP families
- 05.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for school construction in Lahij
- 04.10.2017Minister Kamaleddin Heydarov meets with CEO of Italian Leonardo company
- 04.10.2017Men also among victims of domestic violence in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 04.10.2017Euronews presents report about Azerbaijan's Lahij city - VIDEO
- 03.10.2017Int’l experience shows risk of sexually transmitted diseases is higher, sociologist says
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijan’s ex-health minister appeals to Supreme Court chairman
- 03.10.2017Kamal Abdullayev granted Azerbaijani president’s personal stipend
- 15.09.2014Number of Azerbaijani population made public
- 15.09.2014Mehriban Aliyeva reviews “Konul” orphanage-kindergarten in Sabail district after major overhaul
- 15.09.2014President Ilham Aliyev: No school will be left unrepaired by next year
- 15.09.2014Warning issued on forthcoming temperature change in Azerbaijan
- 15.09.2014Corruption revealed in Azerbaijan’s education system
- 15.09.2014President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of new building of school No. 124 in Baku