Azerbaijan’s population exceeds 9.8 million
The population of Azerbaijan has increased by 19,441 people (0.2 percent) since early 2017, amounting to 9,829,422 million people as of April 1, 2017, the Azerbaijani State Statistics Committee told APA on May 17.
During this period the share of urban population was 53 percent, rural population - 47 percent.
Besides, 49.9% of population are men and 50.1% are women, said the State Statistics Committee.
The density of population in Azerbaijan amounted to 111 people per square kilometer during the reporting period. This figure was 82 in the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic, 1,051 in Baku, 152 in Lankaran economic region, in 151 Absheron economic region, 103 in Ganja-Gazakh and 94 in Aran economic region.
About 34,967 children were born in Azerbaijan in the first three months of 2017, including 52.7 percent – boys, 47.3 percent – girls. This indicator features 14.6 births per 1,000 people in the country. Of the newborns, 626 are twins and 15 triplets, according to the State Statistics Committee.
Nearly 1,006 women accounted for every 1,000 men in the country.
Around 15,860 deaths have been registered over the first three months of 2017. The mortality rate per 1,000 people accounted for 6.6.
During the reporting period, the registry offices recorded 13,305 marriages and 3,611 divorces.
In January-March this year, the number of people who came to Azerbaijan for permanent residence made up 653 people and this exceeded the number of those (301) who left the country.
Related news releases
- 27.05.2017Ancient necropolis unearthed in Azerbaijan’s Shamakhy
- 26.05.2017Moon to come closest to Earth today
- 26.05.2017Azerbaijan to sack teachers with poor indicators of diagnostic assessment
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijan SEC announces dates of final and entrance exams
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijani State Commission addresses population over graves believed to be of missing persons
- 25.05.2017ANAS, Emergencies Ministry discuss issues of cooperation
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijani president approves Regulation on 'Subsidized housing' system
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijani SMS: Rules for employment of foreigners are sometimes violated
- 24.05.2017Number of foreigners coming to Azerbaijan on the rise
- 24.05.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Beylagan
- 24.05.2017Ali Abbasov receives new appointment
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijan, Romania to conduct examination in field of education
- 24.05.2017First Azerbaijan-Romania Inter-University Forum kicks off in Baku
- 23.05.2017Tariff Council specifies prices of paid services related to civil service
- 23.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan to see increase in tourist arrivals after Baku 2017
- 23.05.2017Traffic restriction on special lanes lifted in Baku
- 23.05.2017Registration for second participation in Azerbaijan university entrance exams over
- 22.05.2017Ibrahim Guliyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 22.05.2017Traffic ban on Baku 2017 ‘special lanes’ to be lifted on May 23
- 22.05.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Beylagan on May 24
- 22.05.2017Baku to host Azerbaijan-Romania Inter-University Forum
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijani emergencies ministry denies reports of staff reductions
- 20.05.2017French-Azerbaijani University announces admission of students
- 20.05.2017Illegal passenger transportation by buses prevented in Baku-Sumgayit highway
- 19.05.2017WHO: Azerbaijan had lowest suicide rate in Europe in 2015
- 19.05.2017Students in some Azerbaijani universities changed electronic exam grades
- 19.05.2017Health Ministry: 108 people diagnosed with HIV in Azerbaijan in 1Q 2017
- 18.05.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov meets ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani president confers honorary titles on persons who died of wounds sustained during 20 January events
- 16.05.2017NTRC: Broadcasting of foreign TV channels in Azerbaijan to be brought in line with standards
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan approves list of licensed services and work in field of private medicine
- 15.05.2017Presentation of ‘Asiada-2017’ held in Baku
- 15.05.2017Lawyer asks court to acquit Azerbaijan’s ex-health minister
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijan’s ASAN Visa offers service for registration of group visas
- 12.05.2017Rich history of Azerbaijani equestrianism returns to Windsor
- 12.05.2017Azerbaijan to change conditions for labor contract terms
- 11.05.2017Nardaran resident Natig Karimov gets 7-year conditional sentence
- 11.05.2017About 900 drivers fined over moving on Islamic Solidarity Games ‘special lanes’
- 11.05.2017In some cases Azerbaijani citizens to be able to travel abroad using national ID only
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijan continues diagnostic assessment of teachers
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan launches campaign to aid Syrian children
- 17.05.2017Int’l seminar on human trafficking awareness kicks off in Vienna
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijani Education Ministry to terminate employment contracts with teachers recruited without competition
- 17.05.2017More than 1.2 million adolescents die every year
- 17.05.2017Citizens of 12 more countries to use Azerbaijan’s ASAN Visa system
- 16.05.2017American Jewish community plans to invest in construction of Jewish school in Azerbaijan