First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: Main goal is to provide 4,000 IDP families with apartments in Baku and Sumgayit
First Vice-President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Mehriban Aliyeva has chaired a meeting on the resettlement of refugee and IDP families who are temporarily settled in dormitories in Baku and Sumgayit.
Addressing the meeting, Mrs. Aliyeva said the meeting is devoted to the solution of the problems of Azerbaijanis who were forced to leave their native lands, APA reported.
According to the first vice-president, the issue of refugees and IDPs has been a priority for the state for more than 20 years.
She noted that the necessary actions are being taken within the State Programme on the improvement of the social conditions of refugees and IDPs to solve their social, educational, employment, living and medical problems.
The first vice-president mentioned that about 100 modern residential complexes have been created throughout the country for IDPs, 250,000 IDPs have been provided with apartments, 150 schools, 60 medical facilities and kindergartens have been constructed in the new settlements, and hundreds of thousands of refugees and IDPs have been employed over the past 13 years.
Mehriban Aliyeva said that many IDP families nevertheless live in the buildings that are in disrepair, stressing the need to take additional measures to accelerate the efforts to improve their living conditions.
The first vice-president noted the importance of granting new apartments to refugees and IDPs settled in Baku and Sumgayit cities, allocation of extra funds and areas for the construction of new buildings in this regard.
A brief presentation about the activities carried out to resolve the problems of refugees and IDPs was made at the meeting. The presentation highlighted that the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict caused more than $800 billion to Azerbaijan’s economy. Thanks to the policy pursued by Heydar Aliyev, the truth about the conflict was delivered to the international community. Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev, who is taking consistent and purposeful measures to strengthen the social protection of IDPs and improve their living conditions, signed 55 decrees and orders in 2003-2017. From 2001 to 2016, ninety-five settlements, 151 schools, 58 cultural centers, 59 medical centers and other infrastructure facilities were built. The poverty rate among IDPs declined from 75 percent to 12 percent.
Later on, Deputy Prime Minister and Chairman of the State Committee for Affairs of Refugees and IDPs Ali Hasanov, Head of the Baku City Executive Authority Hajibala Abutalibov and Head of the Sumgayit City Executive Authority Zakir Farajov made speeches at the meeting.
Summing up the meeting, Mrs. Aliyeva underlined the importance of making joint efforts to resolve this issue as soon as possible.
She pointed out that great work is done on the construction and reconstruction of kindergartens, whereas in some cases kindergartens do not operate at full capacity.
Mehriban Aliyeva called on the Ministry of Finance and the Baku City Executive Authority to create a joint working group to resolve this issue as soon as possible.
“Today, our main goal is to provide 4,000 IDP families with new apartments in Baku and Sumgayit. Families living in the most difficult conditions should be moved to new buildings in the near future,” said the first vice-president, ordering to ensure coordination among relevant state bodies.
Mehriban Aliyeva expressed her confidence that the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict will be resolved fairly, the country’s territorial integrity will be restored, all refugees and IDPs will return to their homes.
- 20.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev opened Shamkir branch of “Azerkhalcha” OJSC
- 20.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurated Heydar Aliyev Center in Gadabay
- 19.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev views conditions created at Galaba Park in Goygol
- 19.08.2017AZN 11.8M allocated for reconstruction of water supply and sewerage systems in Azerbaijan’s Salyan
- 16.08.2017Prosecutor seeks 15 years for Akif Chovdarov - UPDATED
- 14.08.2017Baku to host Global Young Leaders Forum
- 14.08.20172,650 Azerbaijani citizens study in Georgia
- 14.08.2017Ghulam Isaczai: Azerbaijani young people are energetic, innovative and inspirational
- 12.08.2017Azerbaijan announces university placement results
- 09.08.2017Iran building hospitals near border with Azerbaijan
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijan declares 4 days off for Eid al-Adha
- 07.08.2017Interior Ministry and Prosecutor’s Office issue joint statement on traffic accident caused by ‘Gelandewagen’
- 07.08.2017Prosecutor seeks penalty for woman for falsely presenting herself as MNS officials
- 05.08.2017Temperature to be 38C in Baku, 40C in regions tomorrow
- 04.08.2017President: Level of unemployment and poverty to reduce more
- 04.08.2017Argument erupts during trial of former MNS general
- 03.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev launches new electrical substation in Gakh
- 03.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of 180-seat orphanage-kindergarten in Gakh
- 03.08.2017Flag Museum opened in Gakh
- 03.08.2017Azerbaijani President arrives in Zagatala
- 03.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of ABAD Center in Balakan
- 03.08.2017Flag Museum opens in Balakan
- 02.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary title on 20 January martyr
- 02.08.2017Ministry of Emergency Situations call on the public to abide by safety regulations on beaches
- 02.08.2017Azerbaijani President attends opening of Pirshagi-Novkhani and Binagadi-Novkhani-Corat highways
- 01.08.2017Baku Higher Oil School students undertake internship at BP
- 31.07.2017Zakir Garalov: Imprisoned MNS officials’ properties worth AZN 56mln under arrest
- 31.07.2017UNEC Business School graduates get global job opportunities
- 31.07.2017Solar eclipse to occur next month
- 29.07.2017Applicants for journalism specialty takes aptitude test
- 28.07.2017Interior Minister of Nakhchivan AR dismissed
- 28.07.2017Program Manager from Massachusetts Institute of Technology visits Baku Higher Oil School
- 28.07.2017Azerbaijan publicizes number of people bitten by snakes in July
- 28.07.2017Prosecutor seeks 5-year sentence for ex-official of liquidated ministry
- 28.07.2017State Examination Center addresses applicants who took entrance exam on July 27
- 28.07.2017The number of people released from arrest has increased by 28% over the past year in Azerbaijan
- 27.07.201783 people killed, 159 injured in emergency situations in Azerbaijan this year
- 27.07.2017Lapshin appeals to Azerbaijani Justice Ministry for his extradition to Israel
- 27.07.2017Temperature in Baku to reach 34-39C in late July
- 27.07.2017Vidadi Zeynalov, Beytulla Huseynov each get 13 years in prison - UPDATED
- 09.03.2017Former MNS employees plead not guilty - UPDATED
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan announces admission to masters degree
- 10.03.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed
- 09.03.2017US ambassador begins trip to Azerbaijan’s southern region
- 08.03.2017Today marks International Women’s Day
- 07.03.2017Polluted environments kill 1.7 million children each year: WHO