First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: Main goal is to provide 4,000 IDP families with apartments in Baku and Sumgayit
First Vice-President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Mehriban Aliyeva has chaired a meeting on the resettlement of refugee and IDP families who are temporarily settled in dormitories in Baku and Sumgayit.
Addressing the meeting, Mrs. Aliyeva said the meeting is devoted to the solution of the problems of Azerbaijanis who were forced to leave their native lands, APA reported.
According to the first vice-president, the issue of refugees and IDPs has been a priority for the state for more than 20 years.
She noted that the necessary actions are being taken within the State Programme on the improvement of the social conditions of refugees and IDPs to solve their social, educational, employment, living and medical problems.
The first vice-president mentioned that about 100 modern residential complexes have been created throughout the country for IDPs, 250,000 IDPs have been provided with apartments, 150 schools, 60 medical facilities and kindergartens have been constructed in the new settlements, and hundreds of thousands of refugees and IDPs have been employed over the past 13 years.
Mehriban Aliyeva said that many IDP families nevertheless live in the buildings that are in disrepair, stressing the need to take additional measures to accelerate the efforts to improve their living conditions.
The first vice-president noted the importance of granting new apartments to refugees and IDPs settled in Baku and Sumgayit cities, allocation of extra funds and areas for the construction of new buildings in this regard.
A brief presentation about the activities carried out to resolve the problems of refugees and IDPs was made at the meeting. The presentation highlighted that the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict caused more than $800 billion to Azerbaijan’s economy. Thanks to the policy pursued by Heydar Aliyev, the truth about the conflict was delivered to the international community. Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev, who is taking consistent and purposeful measures to strengthen the social protection of IDPs and improve their living conditions, signed 55 decrees and orders in 2003-2017. From 2001 to 2016, ninety-five settlements, 151 schools, 58 cultural centers, 59 medical centers and other infrastructure facilities were built. The poverty rate among IDPs declined from 75 percent to 12 percent.
Later on, Deputy Prime Minister and Chairman of the State Committee for Affairs of Refugees and IDPs Ali Hasanov, Head of the Baku City Executive Authority Hajibala Abutalibov and Head of the Sumgayit City Executive Authority Zakir Farajov made speeches at the meeting.
Summing up the meeting, Mrs. Aliyeva underlined the importance of making joint efforts to resolve this issue as soon as possible.
She pointed out that great work is done on the construction and reconstruction of kindergartens, whereas in some cases kindergartens do not operate at full capacity.
Mehriban Aliyeva called on the Ministry of Finance and the Baku City Executive Authority to create a joint working group to resolve this issue as soon as possible.
“Today, our main goal is to provide 4,000 IDP families with new apartments in Baku and Sumgayit. Families living in the most difficult conditions should be moved to new buildings in the near future,” said the first vice-president, ordering to ensure coordination among relevant state bodies.
Mehriban Aliyeva expressed her confidence that the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict will be resolved fairly, the country’s territorial integrity will be restored, all refugees and IDPs will return to their homes.
- 23.05.2017Registration for second participation in Azerbaijan university entrance exams over
- 22.05.2017Ibrahim Guliyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 22.05.2017Traffic ban on Baku 2017 ‘special lanes’ to be lifted on May 23
- 22.05.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Beylagan on May 24
- 22.05.2017Baku to host Azerbaijan-Romania Inter-University Forum
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijani emergencies ministry denies reports of staff reductions
- 20.05.2017French-Azerbaijani University announces admission of students
- 20.05.2017Illegal passenger transportation by buses prevented in Baku-Sumgayit highway
- 19.05.2017WHO: Azerbaijan had lowest suicide rate in Europe in 2015
- 19.05.2017Students in some Azerbaijani universities changed electronic exam grades
- 19.05.2017Health Ministry: 108 people diagnosed with HIV in Azerbaijan in 1Q 2017
- 18.05.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov meets ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijani Education Ministry to terminate employment contracts with teachers recruited without competition
- 17.05.2017Int’l seminar on human trafficking awareness kicks off in Vienna
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan launches campaign to aid Syrian children
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan’s population exceeds 9.8 million
- 17.05.2017More than 1.2 million adolescents die every year
- 17.05.2017Citizens of 12 more countries to use Azerbaijan’s ASAN Visa system
- 16.05.2017American Jewish community plans to invest in construction of Jewish school in Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani president confers honorary titles on persons who died of wounds sustained during 20 January events
- 16.05.2017NTRC: Broadcasting of foreign TV channels in Azerbaijan to be brought in line with standards
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan approves list of licensed services and work in field of private medicine
- 15.05.2017Presentation of ‘Asiada-2017’ held in Baku
- 15.05.2017Lawyer asks court to acquit Azerbaijan’s ex-health minister
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijan’s ASAN Visa offers service for registration of group visas
- 12.05.2017Rich history of Azerbaijani equestrianism returns to Windsor
- 12.05.2017Azerbaijan to change conditions for labor contract terms
- 11.05.2017Nardaran resident Natig Karimov gets 7-year conditional sentence
- 11.05.2017About 900 drivers fined over moving on Islamic Solidarity Games ‘special lanes’
- 11.05.2017In some cases Azerbaijani citizens to be able to travel abroad using national ID only
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijan continues diagnostic assessment of teachers
- 10.05.2017Weather deterioration predicted in Azerbaijan in coming days
- 10.05.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed
- 09.05.201772 years pass since victory over fascism
- 08.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends memorial event for outstanding scientist, academician Rafiga Aliyeva
- 08.05.2017Azerbaijan announces traffic rules on days of opening and closing of Islamic Solidarity Games
- 07.05.2017Azerbaijan SEC holds entrance exams on I and IV specialty groups
- 06.05.20174th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue attended by representatives of 123 countries
- 06.05.20174th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue comes to a close
- 06.05.2017Leyla Aliyeva: A peaceful, inclusive society can be achieved by eliminating poverty and hunger
- 09.03.2017Former MNS employees plead not guilty - UPDATED
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan announces admission to masters degree
- 10.03.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed
- 09.03.2017US ambassador begins trip to Azerbaijan’s southern region
- 08.03.2017Today marks International Women’s Day
- 07.03.2017Polluted environments kill 1.7 million children each year: WHO