First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: Main goal is to provide 4,000 IDP families with apartments in Baku and Sumgayit
First Vice-President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Mehriban Aliyeva has chaired a meeting on the resettlement of refugee and IDP families who are temporarily settled in dormitories in Baku and Sumgayit.
Addressing the meeting, Mrs. Aliyeva said the meeting is devoted to the solution of the problems of Azerbaijanis who were forced to leave their native lands, APA reported.
According to the first vice-president, the issue of refugees and IDPs has been a priority for the state for more than 20 years.
She noted that the necessary actions are being taken within the State Programme on the improvement of the social conditions of refugees and IDPs to solve their social, educational, employment, living and medical problems.
The first vice-president mentioned that about 100 modern residential complexes have been created throughout the country for IDPs, 250,000 IDPs have been provided with apartments, 150 schools, 60 medical facilities and kindergartens have been constructed in the new settlements, and hundreds of thousands of refugees and IDPs have been employed over the past 13 years.
Mehriban Aliyeva said that many IDP families nevertheless live in the buildings that are in disrepair, stressing the need to take additional measures to accelerate the efforts to improve their living conditions.
The first vice-president noted the importance of granting new apartments to refugees and IDPs settled in Baku and Sumgayit cities, allocation of extra funds and areas for the construction of new buildings in this regard.
A brief presentation about the activities carried out to resolve the problems of refugees and IDPs was made at the meeting. The presentation highlighted that the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict caused more than $800 billion to Azerbaijan’s economy. Thanks to the policy pursued by Heydar Aliyev, the truth about the conflict was delivered to the international community. Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev, who is taking consistent and purposeful measures to strengthen the social protection of IDPs and improve their living conditions, signed 55 decrees and orders in 2003-2017. From 2001 to 2016, ninety-five settlements, 151 schools, 58 cultural centers, 59 medical centers and other infrastructure facilities were built. The poverty rate among IDPs declined from 75 percent to 12 percent.
Later on, Deputy Prime Minister and Chairman of the State Committee for Affairs of Refugees and IDPs Ali Hasanov, Head of the Baku City Executive Authority Hajibala Abutalibov and Head of the Sumgayit City Executive Authority Zakir Farajov made speeches at the meeting.
Summing up the meeting, Mrs. Aliyeva underlined the importance of making joint efforts to resolve this issue as soon as possible.
She pointed out that great work is done on the construction and reconstruction of kindergartens, whereas in some cases kindergartens do not operate at full capacity.
Mehriban Aliyeva called on the Ministry of Finance and the Baku City Executive Authority to create a joint working group to resolve this issue as soon as possible.
“Today, our main goal is to provide 4,000 IDP families with new apartments in Baku and Sumgayit. Families living in the most difficult conditions should be moved to new buildings in the near future,” said the first vice-president, ordering to ensure coordination among relevant state bodies.
Mehriban Aliyeva expressed her confidence that the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict will be resolved fairly, the country’s territorial integrity will be restored, all refugees and IDPs will return to their homes.
- 23.04.2018Jeyhun Bayramov relieved of his duties as Deputy Minister of Education
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani President issues order on allocation of lump-sum financial aid to WW II veterans
- 20.04.2018F1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix: Two hospitals will render medical services to participants, guests
- 20.04.2018Owners of 6 houses damaged in Baku landslide zone receive financial aid
- 20.04.2018Non-smoking area in Baku Metro expanded
- 20.04.2018Baku hosts conference on exposure of Armenian falsifications
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Housing market prices are not suitable for low-income families
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan may prosecute those failing to pay unemployment insurance and compulsory social insurance
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Legal regulation needed for use of social networks
- 19.04.2018Health Ministry: Anemia, kidney and heart diseases widespread among pregnant women in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.201837,618 abortion cases recorded in Azerbaijan in 2017
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan reveals number of maternal deaths registered in 1Q 2018
- 19.04.2018Early marriages reported not only among Azerbaijanis living in Georgia: UNFPA study
- 19.04.2018Kamaladdin Heydarov meets with IAEA chief
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs decree to improve social protection of families of servicemen killed in military ops
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani citizens’ living standards will increase in coming years
- 18.04.2018Dust from Arabian Peninsula to reach Azerbaijan
- 18.04.20184th OIC Conference of Youth and Sports Ministers kicks off in Baku
- 18.04.2018Belarus may deliver Polonaise multiple rocket launch systems to Azerbaijan: Russian paper
- 18.04.2018Traffic to be restricted in Baku for 2018 F1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani SEC: Results of final exams may remain valid for two years
- 16.04.2018Amount of financial assistance for owners of damaged houses in Baku landslide zone determined
- 10.04.2018Strong geomagnetic storm expected in coming days
- 10.04.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan’s Health Ministry announces average life expectancy
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan, India discuss cooperation in education
- 09.04.2018AZN 3mln allocated to Youth Foundation
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijan declares March 27 as ‘Science Day’
- 07.04.2018Temperature to be 20 C in Baku tomorrow
- 07.04.2018Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources: Process of flooding intensified in Baku
- 06.04.2018Requirements concerning specially designated smoking areas specified in Azerbaijan
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan defining rules for organizing social workplaces
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan defining cases of involvement in forced labor
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan may create vacancy bank for unemployed
- 05.04.2018Number of Azerbaijani citizens imprisoned in Georgia revealed
- 04.04.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 04.04.2018Construction of houses in Bayil landslide zone prohibited, deputy PM says
- 04.04.2018Residents of six collapsed houses in Bayil landslide zone to receive compensation within 10 days
- 04.04.2018Azerbaijani gov’t plans to relocate 97 families from landslide zone in Baku
- 04.04.2018Deputy PM explains reason behind removal of flagpole in Baku Flag Square
- 09.03.2017Former MNS employees plead not guilty - UPDATED
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan announces admission to masters degree
- 10.03.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed
- 09.03.2017US ambassador begins trip to Azerbaijan’s southern region
- 08.03.2017Today marks International Women’s Day
- 07.03.2017Polluted environments kill 1.7 million children each year: WHO