First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: Main goal is to provide 4,000 IDP families with apartments in Baku and Sumgayit
First Vice-President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Mehriban Aliyeva has chaired a meeting on the resettlement of refugee and IDP families who are temporarily settled in dormitories in Baku and Sumgayit.
Addressing the meeting, Mrs. Aliyeva said the meeting is devoted to the solution of the problems of Azerbaijanis who were forced to leave their native lands, APA reported.
According to the first vice-president, the issue of refugees and IDPs has been a priority for the state for more than 20 years.
She noted that the necessary actions are being taken within the State Programme on the improvement of the social conditions of refugees and IDPs to solve their social, educational, employment, living and medical problems.
The first vice-president mentioned that about 100 modern residential complexes have been created throughout the country for IDPs, 250,000 IDPs have been provided with apartments, 150 schools, 60 medical facilities and kindergartens have been constructed in the new settlements, and hundreds of thousands of refugees and IDPs have been employed over the past 13 years.
Mehriban Aliyeva said that many IDP families nevertheless live in the buildings that are in disrepair, stressing the need to take additional measures to accelerate the efforts to improve their living conditions.
The first vice-president noted the importance of granting new apartments to refugees and IDPs settled in Baku and Sumgayit cities, allocation of extra funds and areas for the construction of new buildings in this regard.
A brief presentation about the activities carried out to resolve the problems of refugees and IDPs was made at the meeting. The presentation highlighted that the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict caused more than $800 billion to Azerbaijan’s economy. Thanks to the policy pursued by Heydar Aliyev, the truth about the conflict was delivered to the international community. Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev, who is taking consistent and purposeful measures to strengthen the social protection of IDPs and improve their living conditions, signed 55 decrees and orders in 2003-2017. From 2001 to 2016, ninety-five settlements, 151 schools, 58 cultural centers, 59 medical centers and other infrastructure facilities were built. The poverty rate among IDPs declined from 75 percent to 12 percent.
Later on, Deputy Prime Minister and Chairman of the State Committee for Affairs of Refugees and IDPs Ali Hasanov, Head of the Baku City Executive Authority Hajibala Abutalibov and Head of the Sumgayit City Executive Authority Zakir Farajov made speeches at the meeting.
Summing up the meeting, Mrs. Aliyeva underlined the importance of making joint efforts to resolve this issue as soon as possible.
She pointed out that great work is done on the construction and reconstruction of kindergartens, whereas in some cases kindergartens do not operate at full capacity.
Mehriban Aliyeva called on the Ministry of Finance and the Baku City Executive Authority to create a joint working group to resolve this issue as soon as possible.
“Today, our main goal is to provide 4,000 IDP families with new apartments in Baku and Sumgayit. Families living in the most difficult conditions should be moved to new buildings in the near future,” said the first vice-president, ordering to ensure coordination among relevant state bodies.
Mehriban Aliyeva expressed her confidence that the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict will be resolved fairly, the country’s territorial integrity will be restored, all refugees and IDPs will return to their homes.
- 23.06.2017Team that always plays ‘away’: story of Garabagh FC comes to Stamford Bridge
- 23.06.2017Moldovan president visits Formula 1 Paddock
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan Education Ministry: Public legal entity status will open up new opportunities for development of higher education
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan to have five non-working days on Eid al-Fitr
- 23.06.2017Final exams for IX-XI graders starts in Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017Former Azerbaijani health minister gets his appeal denied by court
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on telecommunications
- 22.06.2017Preliminary hearing held for Alexander Lapshin - UPDATED
- 21.06.2017Two Universities in Azerbaijan to get public legal entity status
- 21.06.2017Sayyaf Ismayilov awarded “Honored Civil Servant” title
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijani president signs order on granting young talents a special stipend
- 21.06.2017Justice Ministry comments on lawyers’ statement about Akif Chovdarov’s health
- 21.06.2017Justice Ministry: Doctors are closely following Lapshin’s health condition
- 21.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of Narimanov District Court
- 20.06.2017US Embassy celebrates opening of Ganja American Corner
- 20.06.2017Court rejects Afgan Mukhtarli’s petition
- 20.06.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Jalilabad
- 20.06.2017ADA University hosts event to mark World Refugee Day
- 19.06.2017Ex-ministry official Vidadi Zeynalov again partially reimburses damage caused to state
- 19.06.2017Entrance to part of Baku Seaside National Park to be closed from June 20 to 26
- 19.06.2017Traffic restricted in Baku’s central streets due to F1 Grand Prix
- 19.06.2017War, violence, persecution push displacement to new unprecedented high: UNHCR report
- 19.06.2017US ambassador visits Ganja
- 17.06.2017Traffic police address drivers in connection with Formula 1
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan University of Languages to get public legal entity status
- 16.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on healthcare workers
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan allocates two hospitals for F1 Grand Prix
- 16.06.2017Number of official unemployed population announced
- 16.06.20174-magnitude earthquake hits Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 16.06.2017Number of Azerbaijan population increases 0.3%
- 16.06.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Jalilabad
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan restricts entry of 264 foreigners in May
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan: Military service problems of male students with 1-2 unpaid academic debts to be solved
- 15.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended memorial event for outstanding scientist, academician Rafiga Aliyeva
- 14.06.2017European Union celebrates the launch of its media projects and congratulates winners of its competitions
- 14.06.2017Jojug Marjanli resident awarded “Labor” Order
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijan’s deputy PM: Mandatory medical insurance fees should be acceptable to citizens
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijani schools celebrate Day of Farewell Bell
- 13.06.2017Lapshin to stand trial on June 22 - UPDATED
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijan: Deaths among children aged under 1 mainly observed in Baku
- 09.03.2017Former MNS employees plead not guilty - UPDATED
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan announces admission to masters degree
- 10.03.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed
- 09.03.2017US ambassador begins trip to Azerbaijan’s southern region
- 08.03.2017Today marks International Women’s Day
- 07.03.2017Polluted environments kill 1.7 million children each year: WHO