First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: Main goal is to provide 4,000 IDP families with apartments in Baku and Sumgayit
First Vice-President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Mehriban Aliyeva has chaired a meeting on the resettlement of refugee and IDP families who are temporarily settled in dormitories in Baku and Sumgayit.
Addressing the meeting, Mrs. Aliyeva said the meeting is devoted to the solution of the problems of Azerbaijanis who were forced to leave their native lands, APA reported.
According to the first vice-president, the issue of refugees and IDPs has been a priority for the state for more than 20 years.
She noted that the necessary actions are being taken within the State Programme on the improvement of the social conditions of refugees and IDPs to solve their social, educational, employment, living and medical problems.
The first vice-president mentioned that about 100 modern residential complexes have been created throughout the country for IDPs, 250,000 IDPs have been provided with apartments, 150 schools, 60 medical facilities and kindergartens have been constructed in the new settlements, and hundreds of thousands of refugees and IDPs have been employed over the past 13 years.
Mehriban Aliyeva said that many IDP families nevertheless live in the buildings that are in disrepair, stressing the need to take additional measures to accelerate the efforts to improve their living conditions.
The first vice-president noted the importance of granting new apartments to refugees and IDPs settled in Baku and Sumgayit cities, allocation of extra funds and areas for the construction of new buildings in this regard.
A brief presentation about the activities carried out to resolve the problems of refugees and IDPs was made at the meeting. The presentation highlighted that the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict caused more than $800 billion to Azerbaijan’s economy. Thanks to the policy pursued by Heydar Aliyev, the truth about the conflict was delivered to the international community. Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev, who is taking consistent and purposeful measures to strengthen the social protection of IDPs and improve their living conditions, signed 55 decrees and orders in 2003-2017. From 2001 to 2016, ninety-five settlements, 151 schools, 58 cultural centers, 59 medical centers and other infrastructure facilities were built. The poverty rate among IDPs declined from 75 percent to 12 percent.
Later on, Deputy Prime Minister and Chairman of the State Committee for Affairs of Refugees and IDPs Ali Hasanov, Head of the Baku City Executive Authority Hajibala Abutalibov and Head of the Sumgayit City Executive Authority Zakir Farajov made speeches at the meeting.
Summing up the meeting, Mrs. Aliyeva underlined the importance of making joint efforts to resolve this issue as soon as possible.
She pointed out that great work is done on the construction and reconstruction of kindergartens, whereas in some cases kindergartens do not operate at full capacity.
Mehriban Aliyeva called on the Ministry of Finance and the Baku City Executive Authority to create a joint working group to resolve this issue as soon as possible.
“Today, our main goal is to provide 4,000 IDP families with new apartments in Baku and Sumgayit. Families living in the most difficult conditions should be moved to new buildings in the near future,” said the first vice-president, ordering to ensure coordination among relevant state bodies.
Mehriban Aliyeva expressed her confidence that the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict will be resolved fairly, the country’s territorial integrity will be restored, all refugees and IDPs will return to their homes.
- 22.06.2018An event held dedicated to the 10th anniversary of the Council on State Support to NGOs
- 22.06.2018Translation of US historian Frederick Starr’s book into Azerbaijani presented
- 22.06.2018Term for registration of foreigners visiting Azerbaijan to be extended
- 22.06.2018Presidential Administration: 29.3 thousand civil servants make up 0.6% of Azerbaijan’s working population
- 22.06.2018Cabinet of Ministers eliminates dispute over vertical position of the state flag of Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijan Teacher Development Centre authorized as CELTA Training Centre
- 21.06.2018Date of Kamaladdin Heydarov’s reception of citizens in Siyazan rescheduled
- 21.06.2018New youth peace platform presented in Tbilisi
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan well understands what pains of conflicts feel like, UN rep says
- 20.06.2018Housing conditions of 265,000 refugees, IDPs improved in Azerbaijan so far: State Committee
- 20.06.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Siyazan
- 20.06.2018About 65,000 students to take part in final exams in Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018Temperature to be 31C in Baku, 36C in regions tomorrow
- 18.06.2018Weather forecast for June 19
- 16.06.2018“Mübarizlər” contest kicks off in Baku
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani MES hosts meeting with U.S. Oklahoma National Guard delegation
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan calculating compulsory health insurance fees
- 14.06.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani citizens to have 5 consecutive non-working days to mark Eid al-Fitr and National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani schools celebrate Day of Farewell Bell
- 13.06.2018Baku's bid to host World Expo 2025 presented at BIE
- 13.06.2018Human rights activist meets daycare worker detained for child maltreatment
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament passes bill on protecting children from harmful information
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan Education Ministry reveals number of transfers students in 2018
- 12.06.2018Over 140,000 educators undergo diagnostic assessment in Azerbaijan over past four years
- 12.06.2018225 Azerbaijani citizens qualified for study abroad in academic year 2017-18 academic year
- 12.06.2018ATDC accredited as Cambridge Professional Development Centre
- 11.06.2018Leyla Novruzova, who was promoted to BP's London office: I’m not very good in planning my career - INTERVIEW
- 08.06.2018Libraff bookstore opens in Baku
- 08.06.2018Weekend weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani representative elected member of UN Committee on Elimination of Discrimination against Women
- 08.06.2018Akif Alizadeh re-elected president of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences - UPDATED
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan has region’s most secure data center, minister says
- 08.06.2018Many products brought to Azerbaijan in plastic containers – ministry
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Migration Service launches new e-service for foreigners, stateless persons
- 08.06.2018Specialty selection for master's degree starts in Azerbaijan
- 08.06.2018New president of ANAS to be elected today
- 06.06.2018Strong, destructive earthquake not expected in Azerbaijan – top seismologist
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Bar Association rejects rumors on alleged bias towards lawyers with opposition views
- 06.06.2018Inauguration of new lawyers held in Azerbaijan
- 09.03.2017Former MNS employees plead not guilty - UPDATED
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan announces admission to masters degree
- 10.03.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed
- 09.03.2017US ambassador begins trip to Azerbaijan’s southern region
- 08.03.2017Today marks International Women’s Day
- 07.03.2017Polluted environments kill 1.7 million children each year: WHO