Azerbaijan develops life expectancy map
The Institute of Physiology of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS) has developed a life expectancy map of the country on the basis of statistical data, the Institute’s director, Ulduz Hashimova, told APA.
According to Hashimova, the new map will soon be available to the public.
She said that during the development of the map, interesting facts were revealed about the existence of the phenomenon of longevity in certain districts of Azerbaijan.
She noted that the studies on life expectancy in Azerbaijan were conducted in 1979 for the first time.
“The former Academy of Sciences of the USSR studied the regions where long-lived population existed. Our studies today confirm the gained results once more. In other words, the phenomenon of longevity is historically observed in certain districts,” Hashimova added.
Hashimova said that in some districts of Azerbaijan, the average life expectancy of the population is higher than that of the others. According to her, mountainous zones are especially outstanding in this respect.
"The highest longevity has been observed in the highest mountainous districts of Nagorno-Karabakh—Shusha, Khojavand, and Aghdam districts. Though people from those districts are experiencing the hardship of war, their natural potential allows them to live a long life where they are,” she said. “Relatively low incidences of longevity have been recorded in the country’s south, northwest, and Ismayilli district. In these areas, people reach the age of 90 or over thanks to active life, proper nutrition and genetic potential.”
The Institute's director added that the lowest indicators of longevity have been recorded in Absheron. According to her, the main factors contributing to this are environmental pollution, malnutrition, high stress levels, etc.
Related news releases
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan considers amendment to Criminal Code regarding postponement of sentence for some prisoners
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan defines upper and lowers limits of new penalty for juvenile delinquency
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan’s trade representatives abroad to be paid in amount of 90 percent of ambassador’s salary
- 16.10.2017Interior Minister: Situation with sexual minorities in Azerbaijan no different from that in most European states
- 16.10.2017ANAS proposes businesses undertake to finance development of science in country
- 13.10.2017"IMAGINE" Euro Tolerance Festival 2017 kicks off in Baku
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijan set to abrogate imprisonment for illegal trafficking of medications
- 13.10.2017ANAS says statement by Institute of History on map crisis does not reflect its position
- 13.10.2017U.S., Azerbaijan improve irrigation in Saatli
- 13.10.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 13.10.20174-year-old Azerbaijani child rescued from ISIL in Iraq brought home
- 09.10.2017Historian: ‘Greater Armenia’ map in history textbook may have been published for insidious purpose
- 09.10.2017Azerbaijan conducts serious fight against corruption, cybercrime: Deputy Prosecutor General
- 06.10.2017Project ‘Italian language week’ presented in Baku
- 06.10.2017Ambassador: From among EU countries, Italy is where most Azerbaijani students choose to pursue their study
- 06.10.2017Some Ashura blood donators found to be infected with HIV, Hepatitis, Syphilis: Health Ministry
- 06.10.2017Nobel Peace Prize 2017 awarded to International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons
- 06.10.2017Azerbaijani Press Council recommends fines for violation of literary language norms
- 06.10.2017Azerbaijan’s NTRC reveals main problems with using literary language on television and radio
- 06.10.201711th International Education Exhibition opens in Baku
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijani First Vice-President attended ceremony to give out new apartments to IDP families in Masazir
- 05.10.2017First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva visits new building for IDP families
- 05.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for school construction in Lahij
- 04.10.2017Minister Kamaleddin Heydarov meets with CEO of Italian Leonardo company
- 04.10.2017Men also among victims of domestic violence in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 04.10.2017Euronews presents report about Azerbaijan's Lahij city - VIDEO
- 03.10.2017Int’l experience shows risk of sexually transmitted diseases is higher, sociologist says
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijan’s ex-health minister appeals to Supreme Court chairman
- 03.10.2017Kamal Abdullayev granted Azerbaijani president’s personal stipend
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani State Committee against children’s involuntary involvement in religious ceremonies
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani, Uzbek emergency situations ministries sign action plan on cooperation
- 03.10.2017U.S. builds new school for IDP community from Lachin region’s Chiragli village
- 02.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev viewed Safari Park Shamakhi
- 02.10.2017No cases of harm to minors at religious ceremonies in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 02.10.201728% of Azerbaijani women believe men have the right to beat their wives
- 02.10.2017AIDS, HIV and other diseases detected in 32 people detained in Baku
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijan presents report at Asian Conference on Disaster Reduction
- 02.10.2017UNICEF: 4-month paid maternity leave in Azerbaijan 'insufficient'
- 02.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Shamakhi district for visit
- 02.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates newly built kindergarten in Gobustan district
- 11.10.2017New generation vaccine developed against malaria: Azerbaijani scientist
- 12.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards railway workers
- 12.10.2017ANAS Institute of History issues statement on map crisis
- 10.10.2017Premarital examination: 240 diagnosed with thalassemia, 7 with AIDS in Azerbaijan
- 10.10.2017Strong magnetic storm to hit Earth
- 09.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Sometimes there are delays in execution of actions relating to Strategic Road Maps