Azerbaijan develops life expectancy map
The Institute of Physiology of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS) has developed a life expectancy map of the country on the basis of statistical data, the Institute’s director, Ulduz Hashimova, told APA.
According to Hashimova, the new map will soon be available to the public.
She said that during the development of the map, interesting facts were revealed about the existence of the phenomenon of longevity in certain districts of Azerbaijan.
She noted that the studies on life expectancy in Azerbaijan were conducted in 1979 for the first time.
“The former Academy of Sciences of the USSR studied the regions where long-lived population existed. Our studies today confirm the gained results once more. In other words, the phenomenon of longevity is historically observed in certain districts,” Hashimova added.
Hashimova said that in some districts of Azerbaijan, the average life expectancy of the population is higher than that of the others. According to her, mountainous zones are especially outstanding in this respect.
"The highest longevity has been observed in the highest mountainous districts of Nagorno-Karabakh—Shusha, Khojavand, and Aghdam districts. Though people from those districts are experiencing the hardship of war, their natural potential allows them to live a long life where they are,” she said. “Relatively low incidences of longevity have been recorded in the country’s south, northwest, and Ismayilli district. In these areas, people reach the age of 90 or over thanks to active life, proper nutrition and genetic potential.”
The Institute's director added that the lowest indicators of longevity have been recorded in Absheron. According to her, the main factors contributing to this are environmental pollution, malnutrition, high stress levels, etc.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2018Azerbaijani Defense Industry Minister Yavar Jamalov dies
- 23.06.2018Azerbaijan to mark Mehdi Huseynzade’s 100th birth anniversary
- 23.06.2018Azerbaijani president awards healthcare workers
- 23.06.2018Akif Alizade approved as ANAS president
- 22.06.2018An event held dedicated to the 10th anniversary of the Council on State Support to NGOs
- 22.06.2018Translation of US historian Frederick Starr’s book into Azerbaijani presented
- 22.06.2018Term for registration of foreigners visiting Azerbaijan to be extended
- 22.06.2018Presidential Administration: 29.3 thousand civil servants make up 0.6% of Azerbaijan’s working population
- 22.06.2018Cabinet of Ministers eliminates dispute over vertical position of the state flag of Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijan Teacher Development Centre authorized as CELTA Training Centre
- 21.06.2018Date of Kamaladdin Heydarov’s reception of citizens in Siyazan rescheduled
- 21.06.2018New youth peace platform presented in Tbilisi
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan well understands what pains of conflicts feel like, UN rep says
- 20.06.2018Housing conditions of 265,000 refugees, IDPs improved in Azerbaijan so far: State Committee
- 20.06.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Siyazan
- 20.06.2018About 65,000 students to take part in final exams in Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018Temperature to be 31C in Baku, 36C in regions tomorrow
- 18.06.2018Weather forecast for June 19
- 16.06.2018“Mübarizlər” contest kicks off in Baku
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani MES hosts meeting with U.S. Oklahoma National Guard delegation
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan calculating compulsory health insurance fees
- 14.06.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani citizens to have 5 consecutive non-working days to mark Eid al-Fitr and National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani schools celebrate Day of Farewell Bell
- 13.06.2018Baku's bid to host World Expo 2025 presented at BIE
- 13.06.2018Human rights activist meets daycare worker detained for child maltreatment
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament passes bill on protecting children from harmful information
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan Education Ministry reveals number of transfers students in 2018
- 12.06.2018Over 140,000 educators undergo diagnostic assessment in Azerbaijan over past four years
- 12.06.2018225 Azerbaijani citizens qualified for study abroad in academic year 2017-18 academic year
- 12.06.2018ATDC accredited as Cambridge Professional Development Centre
- 11.06.2018Leyla Novruzova, who was promoted to BP's London office: I’m not very good in planning my career - INTERVIEW
- 08.06.2018Libraff bookstore opens in Baku
- 08.06.2018Weekend weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani representative elected member of UN Committee on Elimination of Discrimination against Women
- 08.06.2018Akif Alizadeh re-elected president of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences - UPDATED
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan has region’s most secure data center, minister says
- 08.06.2018Many products brought to Azerbaijan in plastic containers – ministry
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Migration Service launches new e-service for foreigners, stateless persons
- 08.06.2018Specialty selection for master's degree starts in Azerbaijan
- 11.10.2017New generation vaccine developed against malaria: Azerbaijani scientist
- 12.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards railway workers
- 12.10.2017ANAS Institute of History issues statement on map crisis
- 10.10.2017Premarital examination: 240 diagnosed with thalassemia, 7 with AIDS in Azerbaijan
- 10.10.2017Strong magnetic storm to hit Earth
- 09.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Sometimes there are delays in execution of actions relating to Strategic Road Maps