Azerbaijan: 3,868 people still missing after Karabakh conflict
Some 3,868 people are listed as missing as a result of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, Naila Dadashova, an official of the State Commission of Azerbaijan on Prisoners of War, Hostages and Missing Persons, told APA on Friday.
Of the missing people, 3,123 are military personnel, 745 are civilians, including 62 children, 262 women and 302 elderly people, she noted.
Of the 1,437 released captives and hostages, 351 are military personnel, 1,086 are civilians, the state commission official said.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 29.04.2017Trials proceeds for ex-officials of Azerbaijan’s liquidated ministry of security
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijani court sentences Russian citizen of Armenian origin to 8 years in prison
- 28.04.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Gobustan
- 28.04.2017May weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission rejects allegations of pardon for a person who wasn’t listed
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan SEC to hold first university entrance exams on April 30
- 27.04.2017MP: Some cafes and restaurants in Azerbaijan offer hookahs containing drugs
- 26.04.2017Azerbaijan's former health minister gets 7 years and 5 days in prison - UPDATED
- 26.04.2017New prosecutor of Baku appointed
- 25.04.2017Victim testifies in trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani MP: People are unsure what currency to choose to save their money
- 25.04.2017Baku city prosecutor Aziz Seyidov elected judge of Supreme Court
- 25.04.2017Baku court holds preliminary hearing on case of APFP member arrested over FETO links
- 25.04.2017Starvation looms for 20 million, UN agricultural advisory group told at opening session
- 24.04.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial continues
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijani president orders payment of allowances to World War II participants
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijani soldiers wounded in April battles provided with artificial limbs on initiative of First VP Mehriban Aliyeva
- 24.04.2017About 7 million people in Azerbaijan at risk of contracting malaria – ministry
- 21.04.2017EU, Azerbaijani SEC hold joint seminar
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan to ban ads of potential harm to children
- 21.04.2017Canadian doctors discover first antibiotic in 30 years
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan declares two non-working days in May
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan weather forecast: Strong winds expected in coming days
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 3 mln to Youth Foundation
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan: 62 killed, 212 injured in emergencies since early 2017
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan issues licenses to 14 companies delivering television programming over Internet
- 19.04.2017The plan for admission of students will be determined by the Cabinet of Ministers
- 18.04.2017One child given up to foreigner for adoption in Azerbaijan this year
- 18.04.2017Attorneys in MNS case refuse to speak to the press
- 18.04.2017CoE experts’ report on NGOs presented in Baku
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan State Examination Center appeals to applicants over second entrance exams
- 17.04.2017Residents of the "Sovietski" addressed a letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 17.04.2017Number of Azerbaijani population announced
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates participants of 1st Int’l Forum of Caucasus Studies Scholars
- 17.04.2017New deputy health minister appointed in Azerbaijan’s Nakhchivan
- 15.04.2017President Aliyev gives instruction to stop construction of residential building in Yasamal district
- 15.04.2017Azerbaijan to start diagnostic evaluation of teachers in several districts from tomorrow
- 14.04.2017Over 1,400 foreigners violated Azerbaijan’s administrative legislation in March
- 14.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament passes bill restricting tobacco use
- 14.04.2017Baku Education Department: No violations recorded during teacher recruitment
- 17.02.2017Number of Azerbaijani population announced
- 17.02.2017Azerbaijan sets electricity consumption limit for IDPs settled in non-gasified dormitories, boarding houses
- 18.02.2017Tariff Council: Rules for regulation of prices of medicines not changed
- 16.02.2017Lithuania’s independence marked in Baku
- 16.02.2017Book-album ‘Museum of Genocide’ presented in Baku
- 16.02.2017State Committee chairperson: Parents losing their sense of responsibility