Azerbaijan: 3,868 people still missing after Karabakh conflict
Some 3,868 people are listed as missing as a result of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, Naila Dadashova, an official of the State Commission of Azerbaijan on Prisoners of War, Hostages and Missing Persons, told APA on Friday.
Of the missing people, 3,123 are military personnel, 745 are civilians, including 62 children, 262 women and 302 elderly people, she noted.
Of the 1,437 released captives and hostages, 351 are military personnel, 1,086 are civilians, the state commission official said.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 12.12.2017Abbas Alasgarov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 11.12.2017Traffic to be restricted in some streets and avenues of Baku on Dec. 12
- 08.12.2017Tariff Council approves prices of more than 300 registered medicines
- 08.12.2017Book titled “Splendor and Misery of Leyla Yunus” presented
- 08.12.2017Anar Baghirov: Bar Association was partly responsible for delay in lawyer admissions
- 07.12.2017Criminal elements detected in activities of 23 municipalities
- 07.12.2017Several human rights defenders appeal to President Ilham Aliyev
- 07.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Another 10 carpet weaving factories to open in Azerbaijan next year
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan specifies non-working days for next year's holidays
- 07.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: "ASAN Service" is most effective tool against corruption, bribery
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Flag Museum in Guba
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates ‘ASAN heyat’ complex in Guba
- 07.12.2017New chairman of Azerbaijan’s Bar Association elected
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends ground breaking ceremony of highway to be built on Azerbaijan-Russia state border
- 06.12.2017Citizens of OIC countries to get grants for education in Azerbaijan
- 06.12.2017Javanshir Gurbanov awarded Order ‘For Service to the Motherland’
- 06.12.2017About 80 percent of Azerbaijani citizens optimistic about the country's future
- 05.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards workers of communication and high-tech sector
- 05.12.2017Number of Nakhchivan’s population publicized
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan postpones election of new ombudsperson
- 04.12.2017Baku’s population nears 2.6 million
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan Business Case Competition 2017 wraps up
- 02.12.2017Weather forecast for tomorrow
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan increases duties on reissue of lost and deteriorated international passports and ID cards
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan modifying conditions for selection of pretrial detention type
- 01.12.2017MP Hasanguliyev: English-language TV channel should be created in Azerbaijan
- 01.12.2017Half of HIV-infected people in Europe is diagnosed late – WHO
- 01.12.2017Preliminary hearing held for APFP deputy chairperson accused of smuggling
- 01.12.2017MP: Half of men in Azerbaijan smoke
- 30.11.2017Deputy PM: Azerbaijan unlikely to adopt mandatory medical insurance in 1-2 years
- 30.11.2017Deputy PM: Unemployment rate high in trade and service areas
- 30.11.2017State Committee: Work underway to get Azerbaijani citizens back from Iraq
- 30.11.2017December weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 29.11.2017AZN 3M allocated for renovation works and capital repair of multi-apartment building in Tartar
- 29.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for renovation works in Aghjabadi
- 29.11.2017Most appeals to State Committee have to do with non-payment of alimonies
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends inauguration of Sabirabad District Central Hospital
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Flag Museum in Sabirabad
- 28.11.2017Ivanka Trump praises Azerbaijani girl entrepreneur for her invention
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Aghjabadi Olympic Sport Complex
- 17.02.2017Number of Azerbaijani population announced
- 17.02.2017Azerbaijan sets electricity consumption limit for IDPs settled in non-gasified dormitories, boarding houses
- 18.02.2017Tariff Council: Rules for regulation of prices of medicines not changed
- 16.02.2017Lithuania’s independence marked in Baku
- 16.02.2017Book-album ‘Museum of Genocide’ presented in Baku
- 16.02.2017State Committee chairperson: Parents losing their sense of responsibility