Azerbaijan: 3,868 people still missing after Karabakh conflict
Some 3,868 people are listed as missing as a result of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, Naila Dadashova, an official of the State Commission of Azerbaijan on Prisoners of War, Hostages and Missing Persons, told APA on Friday.
Of the missing people, 3,123 are military personnel, 745 are civilians, including 62 children, 262 women and 302 elderly people, she noted.
Of the 1,437 released captives and hostages, 351 are military personnel, 1,086 are civilians, the state commission official said.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 28.02.2017Court approves lawsuits by 25 victims in MNS case
- 28.02.2017March weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 28.02.2017Azerbaijan may close publishing houses for failure to submit required copies to libraries
- 28.02.2017Nearly 70,000 applicants to attend free entrance exams in Azerbaijan this year
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan announces categories of IDPs who will not be given new residential areas during relocation
- 27.02.2017Weather forecast for Feb 27: dry weather to prevail in Azerbaijan
- 27.02.2017Allowance for IDPs for February to be paid in March
- 24.02.2017Entrance exams to be free in Azerbaijan
- 24.02.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijan publicizes number of kidney transplant recipients
- 24.02.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Khachmaz
- 23.02.2017ICRC visits blogger Alexander Lapshin
- 23.02.2017This year’s first solar eclipse to happen on Feb. 26
- 22.02.2017Baku court sentences ex-ISIL fighter to 10 years in prison
- 22.02.2017Park Cinema, TEAS to hold Karabakh film days
- 22.02.2017Weather to be changeably cloudy tomorrow
- 21.02.2017Court rejects petitions filed by Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-employees - UPDATED
- 20.02.2017Azerbaijani MES to hold firefighting training
- 20.02.2017Azerbaijan, Austria end joint exercises for search and rescue ops during avalanches
- 20.02.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Khachmaz
- 16.02.2017Azerbaijani State Committee dissatisfied with non-implementation of laws on family and children affairs
- 16.02.2017Medicine prices in Azerbaijan regulated based on manat rate against dollar: Tariff Council
- 16.02.2017PA official: Judges sometimes order registration of illegal buildings
- 16.02.2017Azerbaijan names construction companies with highest number of complaints from citizens
- 16.02.20171,446 foreigners deported from Azerbaijan in January
- 15.02.2017Liquidation commission for Qafqaz University completes its work
- 15.02.2017Weather to deteriorate in Azerbaijan, snowfall predicted
- 15.02.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani human rights defenders welcome presidential order on improvement of penitentiary service
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani SEC sets dates for final exams for ninth graders
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijan: Utility costs of IDPs settled in dormitories, boarding houses to be paid by state
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani SEC develops new rules for civil service recruitment
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani SEC presents its first int’l project
- 14.02.2017SEC: Civil service recruitment process should be simplified in Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2017Azerbaijan, Austria launch joint exercises for search and rescue ops during avalanches
- 13.02.2017Number of university entrance exams may be increased in Azerbaijan
- 11.02.2017Azerbaijan approves new university admission rules
- 10.02.2017Members of Azerbaijan National Television and Radio Council appointed
- 10.02.2017Azerbaijan deports 16 Arab tourists for violating hunting rules
- 10.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev views conditions created at administrative building of Azerbaijan Railways CJSC
- 17.02.2017Number of Azerbaijani population announced
- 17.02.2017Azerbaijan sets electricity consumption limit for IDPs settled in non-gasified dormitories, boarding houses
- 18.02.2017Tariff Council: Rules for regulation of prices of medicines not changed
- 16.02.2017Lithuania’s independence marked in Baku
- 16.02.2017Book-album ‘Museum of Genocide’ presented in Baku
- 16.02.2017State Committee chairperson: Parents losing their sense of responsibility