Azerbaijan: 3,868 people still missing after Karabakh conflict
Some 3,868 people are listed as missing as a result of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, Naila Dadashova, an official of the State Commission of Azerbaijan on Prisoners of War, Hostages and Missing Persons, told APA on Friday.
Of the missing people, 3,123 are military personnel, 745 are civilians, including 62 children, 262 women and 302 elderly people, she noted.
Of the 1,437 released captives and hostages, 351 are military personnel, 1,086 are civilians, the state commission official said.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2017Registration for second participation in Azerbaijan university entrance exams over
- 22.05.2017Ibrahim Guliyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 22.05.2017Traffic ban on Baku 2017 ‘special lanes’ to be lifted on May 23
- 22.05.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Beylagan on May 24
- 22.05.2017Baku to host Azerbaijan-Romania Inter-University Forum
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijani emergencies ministry denies reports of staff reductions
- 20.05.2017French-Azerbaijani University announces admission of students
- 20.05.2017Illegal passenger transportation by buses prevented in Baku-Sumgayit highway
- 19.05.2017WHO: Azerbaijan had lowest suicide rate in Europe in 2015
- 19.05.2017Students in some Azerbaijani universities changed electronic exam grades
- 19.05.2017Health Ministry: 108 people diagnosed with HIV in Azerbaijan in 1Q 2017
- 18.05.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov meets ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijani Education Ministry to terminate employment contracts with teachers recruited without competition
- 17.05.2017Int’l seminar on human trafficking awareness kicks off in Vienna
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan launches campaign to aid Syrian children
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan’s population exceeds 9.8 million
- 17.05.2017More than 1.2 million adolescents die every year
- 17.05.2017Citizens of 12 more countries to use Azerbaijan’s ASAN Visa system
- 16.05.2017American Jewish community plans to invest in construction of Jewish school in Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani president confers honorary titles on persons who died of wounds sustained during 20 January events
- 16.05.2017NTRC: Broadcasting of foreign TV channels in Azerbaijan to be brought in line with standards
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan approves list of licensed services and work in field of private medicine
- 15.05.2017Presentation of ‘Asiada-2017’ held in Baku
- 15.05.2017Lawyer asks court to acquit Azerbaijan’s ex-health minister
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijan’s ASAN Visa offers service for registration of group visas
- 12.05.2017Rich history of Azerbaijani equestrianism returns to Windsor
- 12.05.2017Azerbaijan to change conditions for labor contract terms
- 11.05.2017Nardaran resident Natig Karimov gets 7-year conditional sentence
- 11.05.2017About 900 drivers fined over moving on Islamic Solidarity Games ‘special lanes’
- 11.05.2017In some cases Azerbaijani citizens to be able to travel abroad using national ID only
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijan continues diagnostic assessment of teachers
- 10.05.2017Weather deterioration predicted in Azerbaijan in coming days
- 10.05.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed
- 09.05.201772 years pass since victory over fascism
- 08.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends memorial event for outstanding scientist, academician Rafiga Aliyeva
- 08.05.2017Azerbaijan announces traffic rules on days of opening and closing of Islamic Solidarity Games
- 07.05.2017Azerbaijan SEC holds entrance exams on I and IV specialty groups
- 06.05.20174th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue attended by representatives of 123 countries
- 06.05.20174th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue comes to a close
- 06.05.2017Leyla Aliyeva: A peaceful, inclusive society can be achieved by eliminating poverty and hunger
- 17.02.2017Number of Azerbaijani population announced
- 17.02.2017Azerbaijan sets electricity consumption limit for IDPs settled in non-gasified dormitories, boarding houses
- 18.02.2017Tariff Council: Rules for regulation of prices of medicines not changed
- 16.02.2017Lithuania’s independence marked in Baku
- 16.02.2017Book-album ‘Museum of Genocide’ presented in Baku
- 16.02.2017State Committee chairperson: Parents losing their sense of responsibility