ANAS Institute of History issues statement on map crisis
The Scientific Council of the Institute of History of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS) has issued a statement with regard to the publishing of a map of so-called “Greater Armenia” in the Russian version of the textbook “General History” for 10th grade.
The statement stresses that the map illustrating the territory of so-called “Greater Armenia” is based on a marble map posted on the wall on a street (Via dei Fori Imperiali) in downtown Rome in 1934 upon the order of Benito Mussolini, a fascist dictator who sought to revitalize the Roman Empire.
“At that time of military-political transition, it is no secret that that particular map was selected to be posted on the wall under the influence of the Armenian lobby, who were seeking to achieve its ugly ambitions. The dissemination of this made-up map of “Greater Armenia” in the world’s various media and information resources, including Wikipedia, is ensured by the US-based National Association for Armenian Studies and Research. A special grant has been allocated by this Armenian nationalist organization. All the analogous maps depict the northern borders of so-called “Greater Armenia” stretching south of the River Araxes towards the Caspian Sea. The biggest concern is that such a made-up map has been published in the Russian version of the textbook “General History”, reads the statement.
According to the statement, the studies (“Irevan Khanate: Russian occupation and relocation of Armenians to Northern Azerbaijan”, “Karabakh: Real history, facts and documents”, “Nakhchivan: Its history and monuments”, “Real history and fictional “Greater Armenia”” and numerous works dedicated to the acts of genocide committed by the Armenians against the Azerbaijani people), which were conducted by the Institute of History in recent years under the instruction of Azerbaijan’s president, revealed that no Armenian state existed in the South Caucasus till the Azerbaijani Democratic Republic handed over Irevan and the territories adjacent to it to Armenians on May 29. 1918.
“Mass relocation of Armenians to the South Caucasus was carried out under Turkmenchay (1828) and Edirne (Adrianople 1829) treaties,” says the statement.
The statement also notes that the Ministry of Education should fully take control of this sphere and determine the authors of textbooks.
“The Institute of History is confident that if all textbooks, including history textbooks are examined by ANAS scientific research institutes, in particular by the Institute of History, there will be no such mistakes. Inexperienced and incompetent experts should be removed from this work,” says the statement.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2018Azerbaijani Defense Industry Minister Yavar Jamalov dies
- 23.06.2018Azerbaijan to mark Mehdi Huseynzade’s 100th birth anniversary
- 23.06.2018Azerbaijani president awards healthcare workers
- 23.06.2018Akif Alizade approved as ANAS president
- 22.06.2018An event held dedicated to the 10th anniversary of the Council on State Support to NGOs
- 22.06.2018Translation of US historian Frederick Starr’s book into Azerbaijani presented
- 22.06.2018Term for registration of foreigners visiting Azerbaijan to be extended
- 22.06.2018Presidential Administration: 29.3 thousand civil servants make up 0.6% of Azerbaijan’s working population
- 22.06.2018Cabinet of Ministers eliminates dispute over vertical position of the state flag of Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijan Teacher Development Centre authorized as CELTA Training Centre
- 21.06.2018Date of Kamaladdin Heydarov’s reception of citizens in Siyazan rescheduled
- 21.06.2018New youth peace platform presented in Tbilisi
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan well understands what pains of conflicts feel like, UN rep says
- 20.06.2018Housing conditions of 265,000 refugees, IDPs improved in Azerbaijan so far: State Committee
- 20.06.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Siyazan
- 20.06.2018About 65,000 students to take part in final exams in Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018Temperature to be 31C in Baku, 36C in regions tomorrow
- 18.06.2018Weather forecast for June 19
- 16.06.2018“Mübarizlər” contest kicks off in Baku
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani MES hosts meeting with U.S. Oklahoma National Guard delegation
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan calculating compulsory health insurance fees
- 14.06.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani citizens to have 5 consecutive non-working days to mark Eid al-Fitr and National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani schools celebrate Day of Farewell Bell
- 13.06.2018Baku's bid to host World Expo 2025 presented at BIE
- 13.06.2018Human rights activist meets daycare worker detained for child maltreatment
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament passes bill on protecting children from harmful information
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan Education Ministry reveals number of transfers students in 2018
- 12.06.2018Over 140,000 educators undergo diagnostic assessment in Azerbaijan over past four years
- 12.06.2018225 Azerbaijani citizens qualified for study abroad in academic year 2017-18 academic year
- 12.06.2018ATDC accredited as Cambridge Professional Development Centre
- 11.06.2018Leyla Novruzova, who was promoted to BP's London office: I’m not very good in planning my career - INTERVIEW
- 08.06.2018Libraff bookstore opens in Baku
- 08.06.2018Weekend weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani representative elected member of UN Committee on Elimination of Discrimination against Women
- 08.06.2018Akif Alizadeh re-elected president of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences - UPDATED
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan has region’s most secure data center, minister says
- 08.06.2018Many products brought to Azerbaijan in plastic containers – ministry
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Migration Service launches new e-service for foreigners, stateless persons
- 08.06.2018Specialty selection for master's degree starts in Azerbaijan
- 13.10.20174-year-old Azerbaijani child rescued from ISIL in Iraq brought home
- 13.10.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 13.10.2017U.S., Azerbaijan improve irrigation in Saatli
- 12.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards railway workers
- 11.10.2017New generation vaccine developed against malaria: Azerbaijani scientist
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijan develops life expectancy map