ANAS Institute of History issues statement on map crisis
The Scientific Council of the Institute of History of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (ANAS) has issued a statement with regard to the publishing of a map of so-called “Greater Armenia” in the Russian version of the textbook “General History” for 10th grade.
The statement stresses that the map illustrating the territory of so-called “Greater Armenia” is based on a marble map posted on the wall on a street (Via dei Fori Imperiali) in downtown Rome in 1934 upon the order of Benito Mussolini, a fascist dictator who sought to revitalize the Roman Empire.
“At that time of military-political transition, it is no secret that that particular map was selected to be posted on the wall under the influence of the Armenian lobby, who were seeking to achieve its ugly ambitions. The dissemination of this made-up map of “Greater Armenia” in the world’s various media and information resources, including Wikipedia, is ensured by the US-based National Association for Armenian Studies and Research. A special grant has been allocated by this Armenian nationalist organization. All the analogous maps depict the northern borders of so-called “Greater Armenia” stretching south of the River Araxes towards the Caspian Sea. The biggest concern is that such a made-up map has been published in the Russian version of the textbook “General History”, reads the statement.
According to the statement, the studies (“Irevan Khanate: Russian occupation and relocation of Armenians to Northern Azerbaijan”, “Karabakh: Real history, facts and documents”, “Nakhchivan: Its history and monuments”, “Real history and fictional “Greater Armenia”” and numerous works dedicated to the acts of genocide committed by the Armenians against the Azerbaijani people), which were conducted by the Institute of History in recent years under the instruction of Azerbaijan’s president, revealed that no Armenian state existed in the South Caucasus till the Azerbaijani Democratic Republic handed over Irevan and the territories adjacent to it to Armenians on May 29. 1918.
“Mass relocation of Armenians to the South Caucasus was carried out under Turkmenchay (1828) and Edirne (Adrianople 1829) treaties,” says the statement.
The statement also notes that the Ministry of Education should fully take control of this sphere and determine the authors of textbooks.
“The Institute of History is confident that if all textbooks, including history textbooks are examined by ANAS scientific research institutes, in particular by the Institute of History, there will be no such mistakes. Inexperienced and incompetent experts should be removed from this work,” says the statement.
Related news releases
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan considers amendment to Criminal Code regarding postponement of sentence for some prisoners
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan defines upper and lowers limits of new penalty for juvenile delinquency
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan’s trade representatives abroad to be paid in amount of 90 percent of ambassador’s salary
- 16.10.2017Interior Minister: Situation with sexual minorities in Azerbaijan no different from that in most European states
- 16.10.2017ANAS proposes businesses undertake to finance development of science in country
- 13.10.2017"IMAGINE" Euro Tolerance Festival 2017 kicks off in Baku
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijan set to abrogate imprisonment for illegal trafficking of medications
- 13.10.2017ANAS says statement by Institute of History on map crisis does not reflect its position
- 13.10.2017U.S., Azerbaijan improve irrigation in Saatli
- 13.10.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 13.10.20174-year-old Azerbaijani child rescued from ISIL in Iraq brought home
- 12.10.2017ANAS Institute of History issues statement on map crisis
- 12.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards railway workers
- 11.10.2017New generation vaccine developed against malaria: Azerbaijani scientist
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijan develops life expectancy map
- 10.10.2017Premarital examination: 240 diagnosed with thalassemia, 7 with AIDS in Azerbaijan
- 10.10.2017Strong magnetic storm to hit Earth
- 09.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Sometimes there are delays in execution of actions relating to Strategic Road Maps
- 09.10.2017Historian: ‘Greater Armenia’ map in history textbook may have been published for insidious purpose
- 09.10.2017Azerbaijan conducts serious fight against corruption, cybercrime: Deputy Prosecutor General
- 06.10.2017Project ‘Italian language week’ presented in Baku
- 06.10.2017Ambassador: From among EU countries, Italy is where most Azerbaijani students choose to pursue their study
- 06.10.2017Some Ashura blood donators found to be infected with HIV, Hepatitis, Syphilis: Health Ministry
- 06.10.2017Nobel Peace Prize 2017 awarded to International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons
- 06.10.2017Azerbaijani Press Council recommends fines for violation of literary language norms
- 06.10.2017Azerbaijan’s NTRC reveals main problems with using literary language on television and radio
- 06.10.201711th International Education Exhibition opens in Baku
- 05.10.2017Azerbaijani First Vice-President attended ceremony to give out new apartments to IDP families in Masazir
- 05.10.2017First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva visits new building for IDP families
- 05.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for school construction in Lahij
- 04.10.2017Minister Kamaleddin Heydarov meets with CEO of Italian Leonardo company
- 04.10.2017Men also among victims of domestic violence in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 04.10.2017Euronews presents report about Azerbaijan's Lahij city - VIDEO
- 03.10.2017Int’l experience shows risk of sexually transmitted diseases is higher, sociologist says
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijan’s ex-health minister appeals to Supreme Court chairman
- 03.10.2017Kamal Abdullayev granted Azerbaijani president’s personal stipend
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani State Committee against children’s involuntary involvement in religious ceremonies
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani, Uzbek emergency situations ministries sign action plan on cooperation
- 03.10.2017U.S. builds new school for IDP community from Lachin region’s Chiragli village
- 02.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev viewed Safari Park Shamakhi
- 13.09.2017Georgian Azerbaijanis stage protest over Myanmar violence
- 13.09.2017Another IBA official standing trial on fraud charges
- 13.09.2017UNHCR report highlights education crisis for refugee children
- 12.09.2017Trial of Azerbaijan MNS ex-officials continues
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani SEC: Additional exams to be held for students who missed final exams
- 11.09.2017Lapshin will most likely be sent to Israel tomorrow – lawyer