Ali Hasanov: Poverty level among IDPs falls to 12 percent
The level of poverty among Azerbaijani internally displaced persons has decreased from 75 to 12 percent as a result of the measures taken over the past 13 years, Azerbaijan’s Deputy Prime Minister, Chairman of the State Committee for Affairs of Refugees and IDPs, YAP Deputy Chairman Ali Hasanov said in an interview published in “Azerbaijan” newspaper, APA reported.
“Twelve tent camps and 3 railway freight cars where internally displaced persons lived in difficult conditions were liquidated in 2007, and the last of 16 Finnish-type settlements were demolished in 2016. The IDP families living there were moved to new settlements,” wrote Hasanov.
He pointed out that 95 modern settlements and residential complexes comprised of multi-storey buildings with a total residential area of 3.2 million square meters have been built for refugees and IDPs to date.
“All necessary social facilities and technical infrastructure have been created in these settlements in order to ensure that people live comfortably, children get education and receive medical services. Specifically, up to now, 151 schools, 58 cultural and 59 medical institutions, 60 kindergartens, 2 Olympic sports complexes have been built and 730 km-long highway, 965 km water line, 1,625 km power line and 465 km gas pipeline have been constructed,” he said.
He noted that the largest school (for 1,300 pupils) for IDPs was constructed in Mushfigabad settlement of Garadagh district in 2012, and the major electric power substation for its capacity – 280 megawatts was put into use in 2007 in Aghjabadi.
To date, the housing conditions of 50,000 IDP families or 250,000 people have been improved, said Hasanov, mentioning that a total of 2.3 billion manats were allocated for the construction of new settlements. “Of these funds, 2 billion manats were allocated by the State Oil Fund (SOFAZ). 1.95 billion manats (97 percent) of these funds have been allocated over the past 13 years.”
The deputy PM noted that nearly 6.2 billion manats have been allocated to solve the problems of refugees and IDPs, of which 2.8 billion manats have been provided from the state budget, 2 billion manats by SOFAZ and 1.4 billion manats by international financial institutions and international organization operating in Azerbaijan.
“Of these funds, 5.2 billion manats (85 percent) have been spent over the past 13 years,” he said.
Hasanov went on to say that President Ilham Aliyev held 32 meetings in new settlements constructed for IDPs in 2003-2016.
According to him, over the past 13 years, the monthly allowance granted to IDPs has increased by 4 times and monthly payments for utilities by 4.5 times.
“Some 910 various microprojects worth 85.6 million manats have been implemented within the framework of the loan agreement signed between the Government of Azerbaijan and World Bank in order to improve infrastructure of the facilities densely populated by IDPs. In addition, 11,000 IDPs were granted microcredits for 7.7 million manats,” wrote the deputy PM.
“As a result of the measures taken over the past 13 years, the level of poverty among IDPs decreased from 75 to 12 percent. In 2016, 750 manats were spent for each IDPs,” added Hasanov.
Related news releases
- 27.05.2017Ancient necropolis unearthed in Azerbaijan’s Shamakhy
- 26.05.2017Moon to come closest to Earth today
- 26.05.2017Azerbaijan to sack teachers with poor indicators of diagnostic assessment
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijan SEC announces dates of final and entrance exams
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijani State Commission addresses population over graves believed to be of missing persons
- 25.05.2017ANAS, Emergencies Ministry discuss issues of cooperation
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijani president approves Regulation on 'Subsidized housing' system
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijani SMS: Rules for employment of foreigners are sometimes violated
- 24.05.2017Number of foreigners coming to Azerbaijan on the rise
- 24.05.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Beylagan
- 24.05.2017Ali Abbasov receives new appointment
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijan, Romania to conduct examination in field of education
- 24.05.2017First Azerbaijan-Romania Inter-University Forum kicks off in Baku
- 23.05.2017Tariff Council specifies prices of paid services related to civil service
- 23.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan to see increase in tourist arrivals after Baku 2017
- 23.05.2017Traffic restriction on special lanes lifted in Baku
- 23.05.2017Registration for second participation in Azerbaijan university entrance exams over
- 22.05.2017Ibrahim Guliyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 22.05.2017Traffic ban on Baku 2017 ‘special lanes’ to be lifted on May 23
- 22.05.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Beylagan on May 24
- 22.05.2017Baku to host Azerbaijan-Romania Inter-University Forum
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijani emergencies ministry denies reports of staff reductions
- 20.05.2017French-Azerbaijani University announces admission of students
- 20.05.2017Illegal passenger transportation by buses prevented in Baku-Sumgayit highway
- 19.05.2017WHO: Azerbaijan had lowest suicide rate in Europe in 2015
- 19.05.2017Students in some Azerbaijani universities changed electronic exam grades
- 19.05.2017Health Ministry: 108 people diagnosed with HIV in Azerbaijan in 1Q 2017
- 18.05.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov meets ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijani Education Ministry to terminate employment contracts with teachers recruited without competition
- 17.05.2017Int’l seminar on human trafficking awareness kicks off in Vienna
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan launches campaign to aid Syrian children
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan’s population exceeds 9.8 million
- 17.05.2017More than 1.2 million adolescents die every year
- 17.05.2017Citizens of 12 more countries to use Azerbaijan’s ASAN Visa system
- 16.05.2017American Jewish community plans to invest in construction of Jewish school in Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani president confers honorary titles on persons who died of wounds sustained during 20 January events
- 16.05.2017NTRC: Broadcasting of foreign TV channels in Azerbaijan to be brought in line with standards
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan approves list of licensed services and work in field of private medicine
- 15.05.2017Presentation of ‘Asiada-2017’ held in Baku
- 15.05.2017Lawyer asks court to acquit Azerbaijan’s ex-health minister
- 04.05.2017Azerbaijani SEC: 30,239 applicants to take part in entrance exams on 1st and 4th specialty groups
- 04.05.2017Azerbaijan’s Health Ministry creates non-stop headquarters in connection with Islamic Solidarity Games
- 05.05.2017Islamic Solidarity Games: Traffic movement on special lanes in Baku restricted
- 04.05.2017Over 200 families expressed desire to return to Jojug Marjanli – deputy PM
- 03.05.2017Azerbaijan SEC announces results of entrance exams
- 03.05.2017Azerbaijan sacks directors of forest protection and restoration enterprises for four districts