Ali Hasanov: Poverty level among IDPs falls to 12 percent
The level of poverty among Azerbaijani internally displaced persons has decreased from 75 to 12 percent as a result of the measures taken over the past 13 years, Azerbaijan’s Deputy Prime Minister, Chairman of the State Committee for Affairs of Refugees and IDPs, YAP Deputy Chairman Ali Hasanov said in an interview published in “Azerbaijan” newspaper, APA reported.
“Twelve tent camps and 3 railway freight cars where internally displaced persons lived in difficult conditions were liquidated in 2007, and the last of 16 Finnish-type settlements were demolished in 2016. The IDP families living there were moved to new settlements,” wrote Hasanov.
He pointed out that 95 modern settlements and residential complexes comprised of multi-storey buildings with a total residential area of 3.2 million square meters have been built for refugees and IDPs to date.
“All necessary social facilities and technical infrastructure have been created in these settlements in order to ensure that people live comfortably, children get education and receive medical services. Specifically, up to now, 151 schools, 58 cultural and 59 medical institutions, 60 kindergartens, 2 Olympic sports complexes have been built and 730 km-long highway, 965 km water line, 1,625 km power line and 465 km gas pipeline have been constructed,” he said.
He noted that the largest school (for 1,300 pupils) for IDPs was constructed in Mushfigabad settlement of Garadagh district in 2012, and the major electric power substation for its capacity – 280 megawatts was put into use in 2007 in Aghjabadi.
To date, the housing conditions of 50,000 IDP families or 250,000 people have been improved, said Hasanov, mentioning that a total of 2.3 billion manats were allocated for the construction of new settlements. “Of these funds, 2 billion manats were allocated by the State Oil Fund (SOFAZ). 1.95 billion manats (97 percent) of these funds have been allocated over the past 13 years.”
The deputy PM noted that nearly 6.2 billion manats have been allocated to solve the problems of refugees and IDPs, of which 2.8 billion manats have been provided from the state budget, 2 billion manats by SOFAZ and 1.4 billion manats by international financial institutions and international organization operating in Azerbaijan.
“Of these funds, 5.2 billion manats (85 percent) have been spent over the past 13 years,” he said.
Hasanov went on to say that President Ilham Aliyev held 32 meetings in new settlements constructed for IDPs in 2003-2016.
According to him, over the past 13 years, the monthly allowance granted to IDPs has increased by 4 times and monthly payments for utilities by 4.5 times.
“Some 910 various microprojects worth 85.6 million manats have been implemented within the framework of the loan agreement signed between the Government of Azerbaijan and World Bank in order to improve infrastructure of the facilities densely populated by IDPs. In addition, 11,000 IDPs were granted microcredits for 7.7 million manats,” wrote the deputy PM.
“As a result of the measures taken over the past 13 years, the level of poverty among IDPs decreased from 75 to 12 percent. In 2016, 750 manats were spent for each IDPs,” added Hasanov.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018Int’l conference dedicated to acts of genocide against Turkic-Muslim nations in 20th century kicks off in Azerbaijan
- 26.04.2018Education Ministry: Employment procedures for directors and teachers to be amended in Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2018NGOs adopt statement on 100th anniversary of 1918 Genocide of Azerbaijanis
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijan eyes to impose new penalties for breaking rules on rallies, street marches
- 25.04.2018BHOS concludes 3rd SOCAR International Forum with conference
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijan considers restriction of freedom for several offences
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijan eyes new fines for violating entry and exit rules
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves draft law on employment
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament passes bill on vocational education
- 23.04.2018Jeyhun Bayramov relieved of his duties as Deputy Minister of Education
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani President issues order on allocation of lump-sum financial aid to WW II veterans
- 20.04.2018F1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix: Two hospitals will render medical services to participants, guests
- 20.04.2018Owners of 6 houses damaged in Baku landslide zone receive financial aid
- 20.04.2018Non-smoking area in Baku Metro expanded
- 20.04.2018Baku hosts conference on exposure of Armenian falsifications
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Housing market prices are not suitable for low-income families
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan may prosecute those failing to pay unemployment insurance and compulsory social insurance
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Legal regulation needed for use of social networks
- 19.04.2018Health Ministry: Anemia, kidney and heart diseases widespread among pregnant women in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.201837,618 abortion cases recorded in Azerbaijan in 2017
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan reveals number of maternal deaths registered in 1Q 2018
- 19.04.2018Early marriages reported not only among Azerbaijanis living in Georgia: UNFPA study
- 19.04.2018Kamaladdin Heydarov meets with IAEA chief
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs decree to improve social protection of families of servicemen killed in military ops
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani citizens’ living standards will increase in coming years
- 18.04.2018Dust from Arabian Peninsula to reach Azerbaijan
- 18.04.20184th OIC Conference of Youth and Sports Ministers kicks off in Baku
- 18.04.2018Belarus may deliver Polonaise multiple rocket launch systems to Azerbaijan: Russian paper
- 18.04.2018Traffic to be restricted in Baku for 2018 F1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani SEC: Results of final exams may remain valid for two years
- 16.04.2018Amount of financial assistance for owners of damaged houses in Baku landslide zone determined
- 10.04.2018Strong geomagnetic storm expected in coming days
- 10.04.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan’s Health Ministry announces average life expectancy
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan, India discuss cooperation in education
- 09.04.2018AZN 3mln allocated to Youth Foundation
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijan declares March 27 as ‘Science Day’
- 07.04.2018Temperature to be 20 C in Baku tomorrow
- 07.04.2018Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources: Process of flooding intensified in Baku
- 06.04.2018Requirements concerning specially designated smoking areas specified in Azerbaijan
- 04.05.2017Azerbaijani SEC: 30,239 applicants to take part in entrance exams on 1st and 4th specialty groups
- 04.05.2017Azerbaijan’s Health Ministry creates non-stop headquarters in connection with Islamic Solidarity Games
- 05.05.2017Islamic Solidarity Games: Traffic movement on special lanes in Baku restricted
- 04.05.2017Over 200 families expressed desire to return to Jojug Marjanli – deputy PM
- 03.05.2017Azerbaijan SEC announces results of entrance exams
- 03.05.2017Azerbaijan sacks directors of forest protection and restoration enterprises for four districts