Ali Hasanov: Poverty level among IDPs falls to 12 percent
The level of poverty among Azerbaijani internally displaced persons has decreased from 75 to 12 percent as a result of the measures taken over the past 13 years, Azerbaijan’s Deputy Prime Minister, Chairman of the State Committee for Affairs of Refugees and IDPs, YAP Deputy Chairman Ali Hasanov said in an interview published in “Azerbaijan” newspaper, APA reported.
“Twelve tent camps and 3 railway freight cars where internally displaced persons lived in difficult conditions were liquidated in 2007, and the last of 16 Finnish-type settlements were demolished in 2016. The IDP families living there were moved to new settlements,” wrote Hasanov.
He pointed out that 95 modern settlements and residential complexes comprised of multi-storey buildings with a total residential area of 3.2 million square meters have been built for refugees and IDPs to date.
“All necessary social facilities and technical infrastructure have been created in these settlements in order to ensure that people live comfortably, children get education and receive medical services. Specifically, up to now, 151 schools, 58 cultural and 59 medical institutions, 60 kindergartens, 2 Olympic sports complexes have been built and 730 km-long highway, 965 km water line, 1,625 km power line and 465 km gas pipeline have been constructed,” he said.
He noted that the largest school (for 1,300 pupils) for IDPs was constructed in Mushfigabad settlement of Garadagh district in 2012, and the major electric power substation for its capacity – 280 megawatts was put into use in 2007 in Aghjabadi.
To date, the housing conditions of 50,000 IDP families or 250,000 people have been improved, said Hasanov, mentioning that a total of 2.3 billion manats were allocated for the construction of new settlements. “Of these funds, 2 billion manats were allocated by the State Oil Fund (SOFAZ). 1.95 billion manats (97 percent) of these funds have been allocated over the past 13 years.”
The deputy PM noted that nearly 6.2 billion manats have been allocated to solve the problems of refugees and IDPs, of which 2.8 billion manats have been provided from the state budget, 2 billion manats by SOFAZ and 1.4 billion manats by international financial institutions and international organization operating in Azerbaijan.
“Of these funds, 5.2 billion manats (85 percent) have been spent over the past 13 years,” he said.
Hasanov went on to say that President Ilham Aliyev held 32 meetings in new settlements constructed for IDPs in 2003-2016.
According to him, over the past 13 years, the monthly allowance granted to IDPs has increased by 4 times and monthly payments for utilities by 4.5 times.
“Some 910 various microprojects worth 85.6 million manats have been implemented within the framework of the loan agreement signed between the Government of Azerbaijan and World Bank in order to improve infrastructure of the facilities densely populated by IDPs. In addition, 11,000 IDPs were granted microcredits for 7.7 million manats,” wrote the deputy PM.
“As a result of the measures taken over the past 13 years, the level of poverty among IDPs decreased from 75 to 12 percent. In 2016, 750 manats were spent for each IDPs,” added Hasanov.
Related news releases
- 22.09.2017Bicycle ride under motto of “Cycling to work” held in Baku
- 22.09.2017MP Tandilyan: Combating prostitution has become a necessity in Armenia
- 22.09.2017First endoscopic liver removal operation successfully performed in Azerbaijan
- 22.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Balakhani Industrial Park
- 22.09.2017ANAMA, NATO to launch third phase of Jeyranchel clearance project
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan to apply new model of final and entrance exams
- 21.09.2017Number of IDP children studying in Azerbaijan’s military schools increases
- 19.09.2017Number of Azerbaijani students studying at state expense in China announced
- 19.09.2017MP Alizade proposes banning hookah smoking in Azerbaijan
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijan may list historical items older than 1960 as cultural resources
- 19.09.2017Foreigners to be required additional documents to get their driver licenses changed in Azerbaijan
- 19.09.2017People's Artist Fuad Poladov says he was diagnosed with lung cancer 3 months ago - UPDATED
- 19.09.2017World Bank, Azerbaijani State Committee for Refugee and IDP Affairs implement $170 mln credit projects
- 18.09.2017Tbilisi hosts int’l conference on fight against tuberculosis
- 16.09.2017Winners of essay contest amongst youth of Islamic countries awarded
- 16.09.2017Temperature to be 35C in Baku, 36C in regions tomorrow
- 16.09.2017Azerbaijan Education Ministry: Students of Tafakkur University will not be awarded a diploma because it is not accredited
- 16.09.2017New specialty to be created in master’s programme
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves 2017-2021 State Youth Programme
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan changing rules for foreigners obtaining scientific degree
- 15.09.2017Sharp decline in natural growth in Azerbaijani-populated Georgian region
- 15.09.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 15.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: School-building process in Azerbaijan going on rapidly
- 15.09.2017New building of French-Azerbaijani University inaugurated
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new building of school-lyceum in Baku - UPDATED
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani president: We ourselves set new standards
- 15.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Lots of schools in Azerbaijan repaired in recent years
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan celebrates Day of Knowledge - PHOTOSESSION
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan celebrates Knowledge Day
- 13.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev grants scholarship to students admitted to universities
- 13.09.2017UNHCR report highlights education crisis for refugee children
- 13.09.2017Another IBA official standing trial on fraud charges
- 13.09.2017Georgian Azerbaijanis stage protest over Myanmar violence
- 13.09.2017Lapshin thanks Azerbaijani president for pardoning him
- 12.09.2017Trial of Azerbaijan MNS ex-officials continues
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani SEC: Additional exams to be held for students who missed final exams
- 11.09.2017Lapshin will most likely be sent to Israel tomorrow – lawyer
- 11.09.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva views renovated orphanage-kindergarten in Baku
- 11.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev views special school in Baku after major overhaul
- 11.09.2017Lapshin attempts suicide under pretext of delayed extradition: Penitentiary Service
- 04.05.2017Azerbaijani SEC: 30,239 applicants to take part in entrance exams on 1st and 4th specialty groups
- 04.05.2017Azerbaijan’s Health Ministry creates non-stop headquarters in connection with Islamic Solidarity Games
- 05.05.2017Islamic Solidarity Games: Traffic movement on special lanes in Baku restricted
- 04.05.2017Over 200 families expressed desire to return to Jojug Marjanli – deputy PM
- 03.05.2017Azerbaijan SEC announces results of entrance exams
- 03.05.2017Azerbaijan sacks directors of forest protection and restoration enterprises for four districts