Ali Hasanov: Poverty level among IDPs falls to 12 percent
The level of poverty among Azerbaijani internally displaced persons has decreased from 75 to 12 percent as a result of the measures taken over the past 13 years, Azerbaijan’s Deputy Prime Minister, Chairman of the State Committee for Affairs of Refugees and IDPs, YAP Deputy Chairman Ali Hasanov said in an interview published in “Azerbaijan” newspaper, APA reported.
“Twelve tent camps and 3 railway freight cars where internally displaced persons lived in difficult conditions were liquidated in 2007, and the last of 16 Finnish-type settlements were demolished in 2016. The IDP families living there were moved to new settlements,” wrote Hasanov.
He pointed out that 95 modern settlements and residential complexes comprised of multi-storey buildings with a total residential area of 3.2 million square meters have been built for refugees and IDPs to date.
“All necessary social facilities and technical infrastructure have been created in these settlements in order to ensure that people live comfortably, children get education and receive medical services. Specifically, up to now, 151 schools, 58 cultural and 59 medical institutions, 60 kindergartens, 2 Olympic sports complexes have been built and 730 km-long highway, 965 km water line, 1,625 km power line and 465 km gas pipeline have been constructed,” he said.
He noted that the largest school (for 1,300 pupils) for IDPs was constructed in Mushfigabad settlement of Garadagh district in 2012, and the major electric power substation for its capacity – 280 megawatts was put into use in 2007 in Aghjabadi.
To date, the housing conditions of 50,000 IDP families or 250,000 people have been improved, said Hasanov, mentioning that a total of 2.3 billion manats were allocated for the construction of new settlements. “Of these funds, 2 billion manats were allocated by the State Oil Fund (SOFAZ). 1.95 billion manats (97 percent) of these funds have been allocated over the past 13 years.”
The deputy PM noted that nearly 6.2 billion manats have been allocated to solve the problems of refugees and IDPs, of which 2.8 billion manats have been provided from the state budget, 2 billion manats by SOFAZ and 1.4 billion manats by international financial institutions and international organization operating in Azerbaijan.
“Of these funds, 5.2 billion manats (85 percent) have been spent over the past 13 years,” he said.
Hasanov went on to say that President Ilham Aliyev held 32 meetings in new settlements constructed for IDPs in 2003-2016.
According to him, over the past 13 years, the monthly allowance granted to IDPs has increased by 4 times and monthly payments for utilities by 4.5 times.
“Some 910 various microprojects worth 85.6 million manats have been implemented within the framework of the loan agreement signed between the Government of Azerbaijan and World Bank in order to improve infrastructure of the facilities densely populated by IDPs. In addition, 11,000 IDPs were granted microcredits for 7.7 million manats,” wrote the deputy PM.
“As a result of the measures taken over the past 13 years, the level of poverty among IDPs decreased from 75 to 12 percent. In 2016, 750 manats were spent for each IDPs,” added Hasanov.
Related news releases
- 21.07.2017President: Investments to be made in pharmaceutical factories amount to $100 million
- 21.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Drinking water supply projects successfully implemented in Azerbaijan
- 21.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views plans of work to be done in center of Pirallahi
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani president awards Avaz Alakbarov
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Nearly 80 percent of Azerbaijani population is internet users
- 20.07.2017Alexander Lapshin sentenced to 3 years in prison
- 19.07.2017Article by TEAS director published on website of “Peace and Sport” organization
- 19.07.2017Delegation of Pakistan’s National Disaster Management Authority arrives in Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2017Prosecutor seeks 4.5 years behind bars for APFP chairman’s assistant
- 19.07.2017UN report: 443,000 teens give birth in Eastern Europe and Central Asia every year
- 19.07.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 18.07.2017Opening of new TV channel proposed in Azerbaijan
- 18.07.2017ANAMA: 300ha area cleared of mine, UXOs in Jojug Marjanli
- 17.07.2017Kamran Aliyev: In Azerbaijan more bribes offered than taken
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan concludes investigation into 19 criminal cases on banking sector
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan completes investigation into criminal cases of 133 officials charged with corruption
- 15.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views conditions created in new park in Yasamal
- 15.07.2017Azerbaijani President warns officials, businessmen against cutting down trees
- 15.07.2017Int’l dolma festival held in Azerbaijan’s Khachmaz
- 15.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev views newly built park in Yasamal district
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijani Health Ministry: 12,036 people wishing to marry diagnosed with thalassemia
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijani Education Ministry: Application for transfer of students to begin on July 17
- 14.07.2017Vugar Safarli: Names of journalists to be given apartments will be announced on July 21
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijan SEC to hold entrance exams on II and III specialty groups
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on education
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan bans advertising of abortion and artificial fermentation
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani President: Some public servants misbehave and make blatant mistakes
- 12.07.2017Judicial investigation into Alexander Lapshin’s case concludes
- 12.07.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan appoints new chairpersons to several courts of appeal
- 11.07.2017New chairpersons appointed to civil, military collegiums of Azerbaijani Supreme Court
- 11.07.2017APA photographers among best of Baku 2017
- 11.07.2017Lapshin’s trial postponed
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor’s Office receives submission on initiation of criminal case against former national security minister
- 10.07.2017Former MNS official stripped of his rank of colonel, jailed for 12 years
- 10.07.2017SEC announces date of new test exams for civil service recruitment
- 10.07.2017SEC: 11-grade final exam results roughly same as last year’s
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani SEC: Cases of abuse reported in fixed-term employment
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijani SEC makes changes in test exams for civil service recruitment
- 08.07.2017Health Ministry: 275 newborns screened in Azerbaijan over last four months
- 04.05.2017Azerbaijani SEC: 30,239 applicants to take part in entrance exams on 1st and 4th specialty groups
- 04.05.2017Azerbaijan’s Health Ministry creates non-stop headquarters in connection with Islamic Solidarity Games
- 05.05.2017Islamic Solidarity Games: Traffic movement on special lanes in Baku restricted
- 04.05.2017Over 200 families expressed desire to return to Jojug Marjanli – deputy PM
- 03.05.2017Azerbaijan SEC announces results of entrance exams
- 03.05.2017Azerbaijan sacks directors of forest protection and restoration enterprises for four districts