Ali Hasanov: Poverty level among IDPs falls to 12 percent
The level of poverty among Azerbaijani internally displaced persons has decreased from 75 to 12 percent as a result of the measures taken over the past 13 years, Azerbaijan’s Deputy Prime Minister, Chairman of the State Committee for Affairs of Refugees and IDPs, YAP Deputy Chairman Ali Hasanov said in an interview published in “Azerbaijan” newspaper, APA reported.
“Twelve tent camps and 3 railway freight cars where internally displaced persons lived in difficult conditions were liquidated in 2007, and the last of 16 Finnish-type settlements were demolished in 2016. The IDP families living there were moved to new settlements,” wrote Hasanov.
He pointed out that 95 modern settlements and residential complexes comprised of multi-storey buildings with a total residential area of 3.2 million square meters have been built for refugees and IDPs to date.
“All necessary social facilities and technical infrastructure have been created in these settlements in order to ensure that people live comfortably, children get education and receive medical services. Specifically, up to now, 151 schools, 58 cultural and 59 medical institutions, 60 kindergartens, 2 Olympic sports complexes have been built and 730 km-long highway, 965 km water line, 1,625 km power line and 465 km gas pipeline have been constructed,” he said.
He noted that the largest school (for 1,300 pupils) for IDPs was constructed in Mushfigabad settlement of Garadagh district in 2012, and the major electric power substation for its capacity – 280 megawatts was put into use in 2007 in Aghjabadi.
To date, the housing conditions of 50,000 IDP families or 250,000 people have been improved, said Hasanov, mentioning that a total of 2.3 billion manats were allocated for the construction of new settlements. “Of these funds, 2 billion manats were allocated by the State Oil Fund (SOFAZ). 1.95 billion manats (97 percent) of these funds have been allocated over the past 13 years.”
The deputy PM noted that nearly 6.2 billion manats have been allocated to solve the problems of refugees and IDPs, of which 2.8 billion manats have been provided from the state budget, 2 billion manats by SOFAZ and 1.4 billion manats by international financial institutions and international organization operating in Azerbaijan.
“Of these funds, 5.2 billion manats (85 percent) have been spent over the past 13 years,” he said.
Hasanov went on to say that President Ilham Aliyev held 32 meetings in new settlements constructed for IDPs in 2003-2016.
According to him, over the past 13 years, the monthly allowance granted to IDPs has increased by 4 times and monthly payments for utilities by 4.5 times.
“Some 910 various microprojects worth 85.6 million manats have been implemented within the framework of the loan agreement signed between the Government of Azerbaijan and World Bank in order to improve infrastructure of the facilities densely populated by IDPs. In addition, 11,000 IDPs were granted microcredits for 7.7 million manats,” wrote the deputy PM.
“As a result of the measures taken over the past 13 years, the level of poverty among IDPs decreased from 75 to 12 percent. In 2016, 750 manats were spent for each IDPs,” added Hasanov.
Related news releases
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan to mark 110th anniversary of academician Musa Aliyev
- 21.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev orders increasing unified monthly allowance for IDPs
- 21.02.2018U.S. ambassador visits school built for IDPs in Baku
- 21.02.2018New specialties created in the master's degree in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2018Presidential pension for Azerbaijan’s national heroes increases
- 20.02.2018Ilham Aliyev orders increasing presidential pension for Great Patriotic War veterans
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani president appoints members of Civil Service Management Board
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani court commences hearing on Afgan Mukhtarli’s appeal
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan starts relocating IDP families to new settlement in Tartar
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan specifies what medications caused severe poisoning
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan imports most medicines from Europe – Health Ministry
- 20.02.2018Guba-Khinalig road reopened after avalanche
- 19.02.2018Pension for 20 January disabled increased by 10%
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani president increases monthly pension for citizens disabled in war
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss bill on state fingerprinting and genome registration
- 17.02.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Sunday
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan detains 26 foreigners in anti-migration op
- 16.02.2018Italian architects prepared project for Yanardagh complex construction – envoy
- 16.02.2018Baku to host Italian Design Day
- 16.02.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Saturday
- 16.02.2018Georgian education minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2018ASAN and ABAD very good Azerbaijani brands: EU envoy
- 16.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers: Families relocated from Bayil landslide area to be given rental money
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan discloses non-working days in March 2018
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani State Commission: 3,875 persons listed as missing
- 15.02.2018State Border Service detains 45 trespassers in January
- 15.02.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan prohibits holding positions of department head and dean at the same time at university
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani SEC announces interview for 165 vacant positions in 6 state bodies
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijani president signs order on additional measures for improvement of social protection of population
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijani teachers issue statement on upcoming presidential election
- 13.02.2018Number of people with disabilities in Azerbaijan announced
- 13.02.2018U.S. helps young IDPs build career skills
- 13.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers specifies date of final decision with regard to landslide area in Bayil
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani State Migration Service detains 11 foreigners
- 12.02.2018Guba Genocide Memorial Complex under reconstruction
- 12.02.2018Plan of events on 26th anniversary of Khojaly genocide approved
- 10.02.2018Four houses destoryed after landslide hits Bayil, no casualities reported
- 10.02.2018190 years pass since signing of Turkmenchay treaty
- 09.02.2018Health Ministry official proposes to allow organ trade in Azerbaijan
- 04.05.2017Azerbaijani SEC: 30,239 applicants to take part in entrance exams on 1st and 4th specialty groups
- 04.05.2017Azerbaijan’s Health Ministry creates non-stop headquarters in connection with Islamic Solidarity Games
- 05.05.2017Islamic Solidarity Games: Traffic movement on special lanes in Baku restricted
- 04.05.2017Over 200 families expressed desire to return to Jojug Marjanli – deputy PM
- 03.05.2017Azerbaijan SEC announces results of entrance exams
- 03.05.2017Azerbaijan sacks directors of forest protection and restoration enterprises for four districts