Akif Chovdarov calls victims 'swindlers' - UPDATED
An Azerbaijani court on Wednesday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Major General Akif Chovdarov, former head of the main energy and transport security directorate under the liquidated Ministry of National Security (MNS), and others arrested alongside him.
Defendant Arif Hasanov testified at the trial presided over by Baku Military Court chairman Habib Hasanov, APA reported.
A few defendants gave testimony on the very episode. They said that they haven’t been exposed to any pressure and have written applications to withdraw their complaints.
The trial will be resumed on March 6.
Baku’s Sabunchu district court on Wednesday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Major General Akif Chovdarov, former head of the main energy and transport security directorate under the liquidated Ministry of National Security of Azerbaijan, and others arrested alongside him.
Chovdarov’s attorney Sadiq Rasulov said in a statement to reporters that victim Nasib Aliyev’s brother-in-law Elchin Khudiyev was questioned as a witness. He said that he gave Nasib Aliyev 100,000 manats, a half of which had been given before Nasib Aliyev’s Elton Aliyev’s detention at the MNS.
Nasib Aliyev said he gave the money to the MNS the following day. Khudiyev added that he have the 50,000 manats to Nasib Aliyev a few days after Elton’s detention.
According to Sadiq Rasulov, Khudiyev told investigators that Nasib Aliyev said he would give the money to Akif Chovdarov. Khudiyev told the court that he did not know to whom Nasib Aliyev gave the money and that he did not know Akif Chovdarov. He noted that he had signed the testimony without reading it first.
Victim Nadir Feyziyev in his turn said that he just answered to the court’s questions.
“I confirmed that I had taken 350,000 manats from Jahangir Alishov and given it to Ali Nabiyev at the MNS,” he said.
Another victim, Jahangir Alishov, told reporters that Akif Chovdarov called the victims “swindlers” during the trial.
“We said to him that it was clear cut who actually was the swindler. They demand I give documents for the money I had spent for the fish farm in Masazir. So I gave the documents,” he said.
The process will be resumed following the break.
Akif Chovdarov faces charges under Articles 145.3 (illegal deprivation of freedom of a person, causing to the death of the victim or other serious consequences by negligence), 179.3.1, 179.3.2 (embezzlement or waste by an organized group on a large scale), 181.3.1, 181.3.2 (robbery committed by an organized group in order to seize the property on a large scale), 182.3.1, 182.3.2 (extortion, committed by an organized group in order to obtain property on a large scale), 228.4 (illegal purchase, selling or carrying of gas weapon, cold steel, including throwing weapon), 302.1, 302.2 (implementation operative - search actions by not authorized persons, as well as implementation of these actions by authorized persons, but without grounds provided by the legislation, entailed essential, and the same acts committed with use of special means, intended for secret dredging the information), 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4 (bribe-taking by a group of persons on preliminary arrangement, committed repeatedly on a large scale with the use of threats), 313 (service forgery), 341.2.1, 341.2.2, 241.2.3 (abusing authority, excess or inactivity of authority committed by a group of persons, committed with the use of weapons, resulted in grave consequences) of the Criminal Code. The former head of the first department of the ministry’s main directorate Salim Mammadov is charged under articles 145.3, 179.3.1, 179.3.2, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.1, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 313, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3; the former head of the second department Akif Aliyev is charged under articles 145.3, 179.3.1, 179.3.2, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 313, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3; the former deputy head of the first division of the third department Orkhan Osmanov is charged under 145.3, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3.
The court ordered seizure on property and cash worth of 33,466,000, trade and service sectors, greenhouses, aquaculture farms and other property complexes, land plots worth of 8,967,000 manats, private houses, apartments and vehicles worth of 24,445,000 manats, jewelry worth of 37,000 manats belonging to the accused persons –- Akif Chovdarov, Salim Mammadov, Akif Aliyev and Orkhan Osmanov to compensate damage caused to the aggrieved persons.
Related news releases
- 25.03.2017Dry weather predicted for March 26
- 24.03.2017Temperature to reach 18 C in Azerbaijan tomorrow
- 23.03.2017Changeable cloudy and dry weather predicted in Baku
- 22.03.2017Changeable cloudy weather to prevail in Baku
- 20.03.2017Azercell supports international event in Baku
- 20.03.2017Spring comes to Azerbaijan
- 18.03.2017Commission for the Regulation and Coordination of Labor Relations established in Azerbaijan
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani court pronounces verdict against former navy chief
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan to apply writing tasks for college admission for first time
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani Emergencies Ministry to work on enhanced mode during holiday
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan completes execution of president’s pardon order
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan extends deadline for document admission to master’s degree and residency
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani MP’s nephew charged with swindle released in courtroom
- 17.03.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Aghdash
- 17.03.2017Albanian president awarded title of honorary doctor of Azerbaijan University of Languages
- 17.03.201714 female inmates pardoned Azerbaijan's president
- 17.03.2017Pardon order: 40 inmates released from Correctional Facility No. 13
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan starts execution of presidential order on pardon
- 16.03.2017Rector appointed to Baku Engineering University
- 16.03.2017Number of Azerbaijani population announced
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani MES: Project for 1st micro-district to cover more areas in case it proves successful
- 15.03.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official
- 14.03.2017Two-time European karate champion standing trial on drug charges
- 14.03.2017Dust clouds over Turkmenistan to hit Azerbaijan
- 14.03.2017Hearing in case of former MNS generals postponed
- 14.03.2017Supreme Court considers IBA ex-chairman’s appeal
- 14.03.2017Azerbaijani court rejects appeal of former OMON members
- 14.03.2017Azerbaijan celebrates Last Tuesday of Novruz Holiday
- 13.03.2017Alexander Lapshin meets lawyer
- 13.03.2017Dust storm from Arabian Desert hits Baku
- 13.03.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Aghdash
- 13.03.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial postponed
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss bill prohibiting smoking in public places
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan announce dates of entrance exams for master’s degree
- 10.03.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan announces admission to masters degree
- 09.03.2017Former MNS employees plead not guilty - UPDATED
- 09.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: Main goal is to provide 4,000 IDP families with apartments in Baku and Sumgayit
- 09.03.2017US ambassador begins trip to Azerbaijan’s southern region
- 08.03.2017Today marks International Women’s Day
- 01.03.2017Ex-Azerbaijani minister’s prison term extended
- 01.03.2017Islam set to overtake Christianity, become world’s most popular religion
- 02.03.2017UNICEF: Over a million children in prison worldwide
- 01.03.2017First stage of final exam for ninth graders in Azerbaijan scheduled for March 5
- 01.03.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 01.03.2017Geomagnetic storm expected