Akif Chovdarov calls victims 'swindlers' - UPDATED
An Azerbaijani court on Wednesday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Major General Akif Chovdarov, former head of the main energy and transport security directorate under the liquidated Ministry of National Security (MNS), and others arrested alongside him.
Defendant Arif Hasanov testified at the trial presided over by Baku Military Court chairman Habib Hasanov, APA reported.
A few defendants gave testimony on the very episode. They said that they haven’t been exposed to any pressure and have written applications to withdraw their complaints.
The trial will be resumed on March 6.
Baku’s Sabunchu district court on Wednesday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Major General Akif Chovdarov, former head of the main energy and transport security directorate under the liquidated Ministry of National Security of Azerbaijan, and others arrested alongside him.
Chovdarov’s attorney Sadiq Rasulov said in a statement to reporters that victim Nasib Aliyev’s brother-in-law Elchin Khudiyev was questioned as a witness. He said that he gave Nasib Aliyev 100,000 manats, a half of which had been given before Nasib Aliyev’s Elton Aliyev’s detention at the MNS.
Nasib Aliyev said he gave the money to the MNS the following day. Khudiyev added that he have the 50,000 manats to Nasib Aliyev a few days after Elton’s detention.
According to Sadiq Rasulov, Khudiyev told investigators that Nasib Aliyev said he would give the money to Akif Chovdarov. Khudiyev told the court that he did not know to whom Nasib Aliyev gave the money and that he did not know Akif Chovdarov. He noted that he had signed the testimony without reading it first.
Victim Nadir Feyziyev in his turn said that he just answered to the court’s questions.
“I confirmed that I had taken 350,000 manats from Jahangir Alishov and given it to Ali Nabiyev at the MNS,” he said.
Another victim, Jahangir Alishov, told reporters that Akif Chovdarov called the victims “swindlers” during the trial.
“We said to him that it was clear cut who actually was the swindler. They demand I give documents for the money I had spent for the fish farm in Masazir. So I gave the documents,” he said.
The process will be resumed following the break.
Akif Chovdarov faces charges under Articles 145.3 (illegal deprivation of freedom of a person, causing to the death of the victim or other serious consequences by negligence), 179.3.1, 179.3.2 (embezzlement or waste by an organized group on a large scale), 181.3.1, 181.3.2 (robbery committed by an organized group in order to seize the property on a large scale), 182.3.1, 182.3.2 (extortion, committed by an organized group in order to obtain property on a large scale), 228.4 (illegal purchase, selling or carrying of gas weapon, cold steel, including throwing weapon), 302.1, 302.2 (implementation operative - search actions by not authorized persons, as well as implementation of these actions by authorized persons, but without grounds provided by the legislation, entailed essential, and the same acts committed with use of special means, intended for secret dredging the information), 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4 (bribe-taking by a group of persons on preliminary arrangement, committed repeatedly on a large scale with the use of threats), 313 (service forgery), 341.2.1, 341.2.2, 241.2.3 (abusing authority, excess or inactivity of authority committed by a group of persons, committed with the use of weapons, resulted in grave consequences) of the Criminal Code. The former head of the first department of the ministry’s main directorate Salim Mammadov is charged under articles 145.3, 179.3.1, 179.3.2, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.1, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 313, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3; the former head of the second department Akif Aliyev is charged under articles 145.3, 179.3.1, 179.3.2, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 313, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3; the former deputy head of the first division of the third department Orkhan Osmanov is charged under 145.3, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3.
The court ordered seizure on property and cash worth of 33,466,000, trade and service sectors, greenhouses, aquaculture farms and other property complexes, land plots worth of 8,967,000 manats, private houses, apartments and vehicles worth of 24,445,000 manats, jewelry worth of 37,000 manats belonging to the accused persons –- Akif Chovdarov, Salim Mammadov, Akif Aliyev and Orkhan Osmanov to compensate damage caused to the aggrieved persons.
Related news releases
- 26.06.2017Baku’s central streets to reopen for full public use this evening as F-1 race comes to a close
- 23.06.2017Team that always plays ‘away’: story of Garabagh FC comes to Stamford Bridge
- 23.06.2017Moldovan president visits Formula 1 Paddock
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan Education Ministry: Public legal entity status will open up new opportunities for development of higher education
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan to have five non-working days on Eid al-Fitr
- 23.06.2017Final exams for IX-XI graders starts in Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017Former Azerbaijani health minister gets his appeal denied by court
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on telecommunications
- 22.06.2017Preliminary hearing held for Alexander Lapshin - UPDATED
- 21.06.2017Two Universities in Azerbaijan to get public legal entity status
- 21.06.2017Sayyaf Ismayilov awarded “Honored Civil Servant” title
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijani president signs order on granting young talents a special stipend
- 21.06.2017Justice Ministry comments on lawyers’ statement about Akif Chovdarov’s health
- 21.06.2017Justice Ministry: Doctors are closely following Lapshin’s health condition
- 21.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of Narimanov District Court
- 20.06.2017US Embassy celebrates opening of Ganja American Corner
- 20.06.2017Court rejects Afgan Mukhtarli’s petition
- 20.06.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Jalilabad
- 20.06.2017ADA University hosts event to mark World Refugee Day
- 19.06.2017Ex-ministry official Vidadi Zeynalov again partially reimburses damage caused to state
- 19.06.2017Entrance to part of Baku Seaside National Park to be closed from June 20 to 26
- 19.06.2017Traffic restricted in Baku’s central streets due to F1 Grand Prix
- 19.06.2017War, violence, persecution push displacement to new unprecedented high: UNHCR report
- 19.06.2017US ambassador visits Ganja
- 17.06.2017Traffic police address drivers in connection with Formula 1
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan University of Languages to get public legal entity status
- 16.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on healthcare workers
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan allocates two hospitals for F1 Grand Prix
- 16.06.2017Number of official unemployed population announced
- 16.06.20174-magnitude earthquake hits Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 16.06.2017Number of Azerbaijan population increases 0.3%
- 16.06.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov to receive citizens in Jalilabad
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan restricts entry of 264 foreigners in May
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan: Military service problems of male students with 1-2 unpaid academic debts to be solved
- 15.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended memorial event for outstanding scientist, academician Rafiga Aliyeva
- 14.06.2017European Union celebrates the launch of its media projects and congratulates winners of its competitions
- 14.06.2017Jojug Marjanli resident awarded “Labor” Order
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijan’s deputy PM: Mandatory medical insurance fees should be acceptable to citizens
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijani schools celebrate Day of Farewell Bell
- 13.06.2017Lapshin to stand trial on June 22 - UPDATED
- 01.03.2017Ex-Azerbaijani minister’s prison term extended
- 01.03.2017Islam set to overtake Christianity, become world’s most popular religion
- 02.03.2017UNICEF: Over a million children in prison worldwide
- 01.03.2017First stage of final exam for ninth graders in Azerbaijan scheduled for March 5
- 01.03.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 01.03.2017Geomagnetic storm expected