Akif Chovdarov calls victims 'swindlers' - UPDATED
An Azerbaijani court on Wednesday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Major General Akif Chovdarov, former head of the main energy and transport security directorate under the liquidated Ministry of National Security (MNS), and others arrested alongside him.
Defendant Arif Hasanov testified at the trial presided over by Baku Military Court chairman Habib Hasanov, APA reported.
A few defendants gave testimony on the very episode. They said that they haven’t been exposed to any pressure and have written applications to withdraw their complaints.
The trial will be resumed on March 6.
Baku’s Sabunchu district court on Wednesday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Major General Akif Chovdarov, former head of the main energy and transport security directorate under the liquidated Ministry of National Security of Azerbaijan, and others arrested alongside him.
Chovdarov’s attorney Sadiq Rasulov said in a statement to reporters that victim Nasib Aliyev’s brother-in-law Elchin Khudiyev was questioned as a witness. He said that he gave Nasib Aliyev 100,000 manats, a half of which had been given before Nasib Aliyev’s Elton Aliyev’s detention at the MNS.
Nasib Aliyev said he gave the money to the MNS the following day. Khudiyev added that he have the 50,000 manats to Nasib Aliyev a few days after Elton’s detention.
According to Sadiq Rasulov, Khudiyev told investigators that Nasib Aliyev said he would give the money to Akif Chovdarov. Khudiyev told the court that he did not know to whom Nasib Aliyev gave the money and that he did not know Akif Chovdarov. He noted that he had signed the testimony without reading it first.
Victim Nadir Feyziyev in his turn said that he just answered to the court’s questions.
“I confirmed that I had taken 350,000 manats from Jahangir Alishov and given it to Ali Nabiyev at the MNS,” he said.
Another victim, Jahangir Alishov, told reporters that Akif Chovdarov called the victims “swindlers” during the trial.
“We said to him that it was clear cut who actually was the swindler. They demand I give documents for the money I had spent for the fish farm in Masazir. So I gave the documents,” he said.
The process will be resumed following the break.
Akif Chovdarov faces charges under Articles 145.3 (illegal deprivation of freedom of a person, causing to the death of the victim or other serious consequences by negligence), 179.3.1, 179.3.2 (embezzlement or waste by an organized group on a large scale), 181.3.1, 181.3.2 (robbery committed by an organized group in order to seize the property on a large scale), 182.3.1, 182.3.2 (extortion, committed by an organized group in order to obtain property on a large scale), 228.4 (illegal purchase, selling or carrying of gas weapon, cold steel, including throwing weapon), 302.1, 302.2 (implementation operative - search actions by not authorized persons, as well as implementation of these actions by authorized persons, but without grounds provided by the legislation, entailed essential, and the same acts committed with use of special means, intended for secret dredging the information), 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4 (bribe-taking by a group of persons on preliminary arrangement, committed repeatedly on a large scale with the use of threats), 313 (service forgery), 341.2.1, 341.2.2, 241.2.3 (abusing authority, excess or inactivity of authority committed by a group of persons, committed with the use of weapons, resulted in grave consequences) of the Criminal Code. The former head of the first department of the ministry’s main directorate Salim Mammadov is charged under articles 145.3, 179.3.1, 179.3.2, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.1, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 313, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3; the former head of the second department Akif Aliyev is charged under articles 145.3, 179.3.1, 179.3.2, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 313, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3; the former deputy head of the first division of the third department Orkhan Osmanov is charged under 145.3, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3.
The court ordered seizure on property and cash worth of 33,466,000, trade and service sectors, greenhouses, aquaculture farms and other property complexes, land plots worth of 8,967,000 manats, private houses, apartments and vehicles worth of 24,445,000 manats, jewelry worth of 37,000 manats belonging to the accused persons –- Akif Chovdarov, Salim Mammadov, Akif Aliyev and Orkhan Osmanov to compensate damage caused to the aggrieved persons.
Related news releases
- 24.02.2018Presidential scholarship for students increased
- 24.02.2018Azerbaijani president signs order on development of education infrastructure
- 24.02.2018Baku awaits cloudy weather on Sunday
- 24.02.2018Model United States Senate organized in Baku
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijani president orders increasing social allowances
- 23.02.2018Allowance for women with more than 5 children increased in Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018Committee chairman: Nationalization of surnames hotly debated issue in Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018Deputy PM: 97 families evacuated from landslide zone on Bayil slope
- 23.02.2018U.S. helps people with disabilities receive free legal aid
- 23.02.2018Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Lankaran
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani president's personal pension increased by AZN150
- 22.02.2018Monthly stipend for young talents increased by 100 manats
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani president increases monthly scholarship for honorary titles
- 22.02.2018Collegium of Advocates to be provided with new building
- 22.02.2018Prosecutor asks court to strip MNS generals of their ranks
- 22.02.2018Prosecutor seeks 16 years for Subahir Gurbanov and Teymur Guliyev - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018International organizations praise anti-corruption measures in Azerbaijan
- 22.02.2018Ministry of Education announces results of student transfer
- 22.02.2018First-grade admission gets started in Baku
- 22.02.2018Requirements for construction of buildings erected in place of emergency structures in nine districts of Baku changed
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan to mark 110th anniversary of academician Musa Aliyev
- 21.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev orders increasing unified monthly allowance for IDPs
- 21.02.2018U.S. ambassador visits school built for IDPs in Baku
- 21.02.2018New specialties created in the master's degree in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2018Presidential pension for Azerbaijan’s national heroes increases
- 20.02.2018Ilham Aliyev orders increasing presidential pension for Great Patriotic War veterans
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani president appoints members of Civil Service Management Board
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani court commences hearing on Afgan Mukhtarli’s appeal
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan starts relocating IDP families to new settlement in Tartar
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan specifies what medications caused severe poisoning
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan imports most medicines from Europe – Health Ministry
- 20.02.2018Guba-Khinalig road reopened after avalanche
- 19.02.2018Pension for 20 January disabled increased by 10%
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani president increases monthly pension for citizens disabled in war
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss bill on state fingerprinting and genome registration
- 17.02.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Sunday
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan detains 26 foreigners in anti-migration op
- 16.02.2018Italian architects prepared project for Yanardagh complex construction – envoy
- 16.02.2018Baku to host Italian Design Day
- 16.02.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Saturday
- 01.03.2017Ex-Azerbaijani minister’s prison term extended
- 01.03.2017Islam set to overtake Christianity, become world’s most popular religion
- 02.03.2017UNICEF: Over a million children in prison worldwide
- 01.03.2017First stage of final exam for ninth graders in Azerbaijan scheduled for March 5
- 01.03.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 01.03.2017Geomagnetic storm expected